How safe is Luxor?

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

I am just back from Luxor (sorry Brian, just didn't have time to meet up...next time Inshallah!!) and I have to say, I felt that the hassle was less than usual, maybe this was because people seemed to have a half-hearted attitude to getting business, they would ask if you wanted boat/caleche/taxi and when you said no, they continued on their way.

I noticed more women out on the streets and also new female security at the airport (new since my last visit 18months ago!)

Please please please people go back and spend your money locally. This town needs you! :cry:

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Angela
Egypt

Post by Angela »

Lisak wrote:I am just back from Luxor (sorry Brian, just didn't have time to meet up...next time Inshallah!!) and I have to say, I felt that the hassle was less than usual, maybe this was because people seemed to have a half-hearted attitude to getting business, they would ask if you wanted boat/caleche/taxi and when you said no, they continued on their way.

I noticed more women out on the streets and also new female security at the airport (new since my last visit 18months ago!)

Please please please people go back and spend your money locally. This town needs you! :cry:
I think it's a really positive move to see more female security at the airport. My SIL has just undergone several months of intensive training in Cairo and starting working at Luxor Airport a couple of weeks ago.

I'm glad to hear there was less hassle.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Lisak wrote:...also new female security at the airport (new since my last visit 18months ago!)
They've been there since at least May 2009. :)

Angela
Egypt

Post by Angela »

Beryl wrote:
Lisak wrote:...also new female security at the airport (new since my last visit 18months ago!)
There has just been an intake of newly trained recruits so there are now more which makes it more noticable. :)

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Angela wrote:
Beryl wrote:
There has just been an intake of newly trained recruits so there are now more which makes it more noticable. :)
I can't say I noticed more when I went through the airport in May but I did find it funny when one of them 'patted me down' as I entered Luxor airport for my return flight. No one took a blind bit of notice of my water bottle, and the sharps that I'd forgotten to put in my hold baggage! :oops:

I'm sure it will seem less threatening to new visitors when they see more female police officers around. It's a shame they are not on the streets too. It may sort out some of the other problems with greater ease. :)

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

"I think you missed my point. If they felt you really were acting/dressing like an Egyptian, that you had achieved the level of respect they accord to an Egyptian, if you really had blended in, they would have never made such a remark to you in the first place. It's harassment and teasing. Saying you walk like an Egyptian is not a compliment or an indication that they think you are walking like an Egyptian. "

I never said I did it to blend in, with my complexion and eyes that would be ridiculous. As I said, that would also be insulting. No, they weren't talking to me, just quietly to each other. No harrassment, no teasing, just an aside. I never said it was a compliment; they were simply making an observation. You are making mountains out of molehills. :)

"Anyone with white skin should cover up in Egypt simply because of the risk of skin cancer, no need to impose another culture on them to justify covering up."

No need to tell an Aussie how to suck eggs! :lol:

"How one dresses is not about respecting others, it's about respecting and protecting oneself."

It's both. Like taking off shoes and covering hair in mosques, surely?

I am not convinced you can give any explanation for that man's behaviour, and lack of respect for me, other than that he targeted me purely because I was not Egyptian. Just out and out rudeness. Not to mention stupidity, as any tourist (especially females) within cooee wouldn't consider doing any business with him after witnessing such crassness, and there were plenty watching with horrified expressions.
Carpe diem! :le:

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian »

All has been going quite well the past few days but last night (8ish) I was walking down the road from the Emilio to the Corniche keeping the avenue of Sphinx on my left - a motor cycle was comming the other way with two or 3 lads on it - one took a swipe at me - luckily I saw it coming (a little late) and ducked - his fist hit the top of my head - they just sped off. Also this morning walking down Station Road - a youth was trying to sell me a scarf - I ignored him but he persisted - I knew what his game was - using the scarf to hide his hand trying to get into my rucksack - moved it over to the other shoulder he changed sides - moved it to the front and made a show of re-closing the zips he had openned - there was nothing in those pockets any way. Was about to tell him to p*ss off when he turned and ran - two locals were approaching knowing what was happening and they said sorry. Also last night was a 'concert' in front of snack time and felt completely safe in the crowd.

Wills

Post by Wills »

Bearded Brian wrote: Also this morning walking down Station Road - a youth was trying to sell me a scarf - I ignored him but he persisted - I knew what his game was - using the scarf to hide his hand trying to get into my rucksack - moved it over to the other shoulder he changed sides - moved it to the front and made a show of re-closing the zips he had openned - there was nothing in those pockets any way.
BB this happened to me a couple of years ago at the post office and because my bag was so small I felt him tugging at my purse, I had just come out the souk where I had purchase a new pair of ship ships for my now ex and he got them right across his face and he ran off.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

Wills wrote:
Bearded Brian wrote: Also this morning walking down Station Road - a youth was trying to sell me a scarf - I ignored him but he persisted - I knew what his game was - using the scarf to hide his hand trying to get into my rucksack - moved it over to the other shoulder he changed sides - moved it to the front and made a show of re-closing the zips he had openned - there was nothing in those pockets any way.
BB this happened to me a couple of years ago at the post office and because my bag was so small I felt him tugging at my purse, I had just come out the souk where I had purchase a new pair of ship ships for my now ex and he got them right across his face and he ran off.
Ship ships across the face or even just been hit by them is the most humiliated thing you can do to an Egyptian, I bet he hid for a while :lol:

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Winged Isis wrote:
"How one dresses is not about respecting others, it's about respecting and protecting oneself."

It's both. Like taking off shoes and covering hair in mosques, surely?
Really? You think taking off shoes and covering one's hair is about respecting OTHERS? What gave you the idea people go to the mosque to make a show for other people?
Winged Isis wrote: I am not convinced you can give any explanation for that man's behaviour, and lack of respect for me, other than that he targeted me purely because I was not Egyptian. Just out and out rudeness.
Of course it has to do with you being not Egyptian, but it isn't just because of your passport, it has to do with the stereotypes (and past experience) they have with women who match your appearance. They probably have seen women wearing baggy clothes and sunglasses (which are not typical Egyptian clothes) behave in ways that are not respectable.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

I am an Immigrant into this Country, while I respect the local culture and its laws, I also try to keep my identity as a European the same as immigrants do in Europe... Myself and wife find it hard sometimes because we were given Arabic names when we moved to the West Bank and they have stuck with us since, we found this to be a lovely and sincere gesture, the problem comes when people that know us by our English names come looking for us, no one knows where we live!!! Sometimes wonder if a good or bad thing haha!!! I must admit though that the local people do look after us regarding help with local issues and around the village, and we respect them back in anyway we can. Now I have had my little imput on the way the post is going, can we leave the Triganometry alone return from the Tangent and answer the original post ha ha!!!

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Well blow me Choc, I always thought that Chocolate Eclair was Arabic for Justin and Lynn, just shows how stupid one can be.

Do tell us your Arabic names, so we shall be able to find you, as there are so many of 'them there white people', up there in La Galtaa.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Wills wrote:
Happened to me in the darkness a few weeks ago in front of the New Winter Palace ground. A very young guy offered me some shawls, but the way that he tried to block my way with his bicycle made me ignore him and continue to walk determined. When he "accidently" touched my bag under a shawl as he was throwing it over my shoulder, I gave him the angry look that I give pickpockets anywhere in the world, letting them know that I know, what they are trying and that has always worked for me in different bigger cities and in Luxor. That is nothing new, though I was not familiar with this particular scam.The way he immediately apologised and dissappeared left no doubt that he had meant to try to open my bag.

Here in my neighbourhood in Copenhagen best friends kill each other over less than a gram of hashish or a debt of the equivalent of 200 EGP. I am precautious anywhere I go - that gives me freedom, that allows me to relax.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

GD: "Really? You think taking off shoes and covering one's hair is about respecting OTHERS? What gave you the idea people go to the mosque to make a show for other people?"

It's respecting their beliefs and the expectations when entering a place of worship, obviously. Nitpicking. Tedious. :yawn:

"Of course it has to do with you being not Egyptian, but it isn't just because of your passport, it has to do with the stereotypes (and past experience) they have with women who match your appearance. They probably have seen women wearing baggy clothes and sunglasses (which are not typical Egyptian clothes) behave in ways that are not respectable."

Now you're stating the bleeding obvious about a subject that has been exhausted more than once before. My behaviour was faultless, yet you will not admit it, just because it is me. Even more tedious, and a tad pathetic. :yawn: Time to stop cluttering up this post: do build a bridge and.....

CE: " I am an Immigrant into this Country, while I respect the local culture and its laws, I also try to keep my identity as a European the same as immigrants do in Europe... Myself and wife find it hard sometimes because we were given Arabic names when we moved to the West Bank and they have stuck with us since..."

Yes, so do I; my clothing choice is as much for comfort in the heat (same as I wear at home... friends would notice no difference) as out of respect. Do you know what your names mean?

BB and BENNU: That is a worrying trend, especially with B being well recognised. One of which to warn my tour clients. :( Thanks for the warnings. ;)

Azurite

Post by Azurite »

Basically G.Doctor.

Lighten up.

You are a dictatorial pain in the butt. :yap:

Pity you couldn't see Morrisey @ Glasto. :ls:

Such a pity your " respectable " Egyptian women can't teach your randy rude Egyptian men how to behave as civilised human beings. :ok:

Most of us come for a holiday in a place we love, the history etc. Yes a holiday, a nice hotel and to be treated as visitors as in so many other countries. We have no interest in scruffy locals and would like them to leave us alone and keep their distance. If we want to buy something or need transport we'll ask, like we do everywhere else, we don't need daft locals dancing about as has been stated by Winged Isis. It is they that are at fault however much you witter on otherwise !!!!!

Get the meaning, local pathetic males should be consigned to history. It's 2011.

Isis*dancer

Post by Isis*dancer »

To Winged Isis: "I never said I did it to blend in, with my complexion and eyes that would be ridiculous. As I said, that would also be insulting. No, they weren't talking to me, just quietly to each other. No harrassment, no teasing, just an aside. I never said it was a compliment; they were simply making an observation. You are making mountains out of molehills. "

In previous posts you have mused that friends, family and even Egyptians have said that you look Egyptian - with fair hair and blue eyes? Something not right here.
When one door closes another opens!

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Winged Isis wrote:GD: "Really? You think taking off shoes and covering one's hair is about respecting OTHERS? What gave you the idea people go to the mosque to make a show for other people?"

It's respecting their beliefs and the expectations when entering a place of worship, obviously. Nitpicking. Tedious. :yawn:
Did it ever occur to you that there might be a religious reason that has nothing to do with respect? No, you didn't clearly and you are just spouting off whatever enters your mind. There are ahadith explaining why these things are done. And you are completely incorrect.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Azurite wrote:
Most of us come for a holiday in a place we love, the history etc. Yes a holiday, a nice hotel and to be treated as visitors as in so many other countries. We have no interest in scruffy locals and would like them to leave us alone and keep their distance. If we want to buy something or need transport we'll ask, like we do everywhere else, we don't need daft locals dancing about as has been stated by Winged Isis. It is they that are at fault however much you witter on otherwise !!!!!

Get the meaning, local pathetic males should be consigned to history. It's 2011.
I agree, but let's face it, how do many of the women married to local scruffy types meet them? Chance encounters in the street, on the cruise ship, etc. In precisely the same situations where other women find themselves harassed. The reason there are so many Egyptian-foreign marriages is because of incidents like the ones WI described, but in which the woman allows herself to be sucked in (in WI's case, she is already married so she wasn't going to be sucked in).

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Isis*dancer wrote:To Winged Isis: "I never said I did it to blend in, with my complexion and eyes that would be ridiculous. As I said, that would also be insulting. No, they weren't talking to me, just quietly to each other. No harrassment, no teasing, just an aside. I never said it was a compliment; they were simply making an observation. You are making mountains out of molehills. "

In previous posts you have mused that friends, family and even Egyptians have said that you look Egyptian - with fair hair and blue eyes? Something not right here.
There was another thing that was not right here. She said she was wearing sunglasses but then claimed of course they knew she wasn't Egyptian because of her blue eyes...

If you really look Egyptian, people will treat you the same as an Egyptian, NOT tell you that you look Egyptian. They only do that to flatter people.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Isis*dancer wrote:To Winged Isis: "I never said I did it to blend in, with my complexion and eyes that would be ridiculous. As I said, that would also be insulting. No, they weren't talking to me, just quietly to each other. No harrassment, no teasing, just an aside. I never said it was a compliment; they were simply making an observation. You are making mountains out of molehills. "

I am a brunette, and I said "with my complexion and eyes that would be ridiculous" That's why I also said, if you check carefully (please don't get into GD's bad habits :roll:).....
Winged Isis wrote:Mmm, have experienced something along these lines two or three times a month since my first visit in 2002. I have been told many times, even by my family I "look Egyptian", despite my blue eyes! Can't see it myself.:lol:
Their comments make absolutely no sense to me either. :dun: I just smiled and murmured something polite, as I have heard some interesting compliments said to me and other tourists many times, as have we all, no doubt.
Last edited by Winged Isis on Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:05 am, edited 6 times in total.