How safe is Luxor?

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Glyphdoctor wrote:
Winged Isis wrote:"I think you missed my point. If they felt you really were acting/dressing like an Egyptian, that you had achieved the level of respect they accord to an Egyptian, if you really had blended in, they would have never made such a remark to you in the first place. It's harassment and teasing. Saying you walk like an Egyptian is not a compliment or an indication that they think you are walking like an Egyptian. "

I never said I did it to blend in, with my complexion and eyes that would be ridiculous. As I said, that would also be insulting. No, they weren't talking to me, just quietly to each other. No harrassment, no teasing, just an aside.
I don't find any mention of family here...This statement was made in the context of what happened to you on the street. You were saying you wouldn't blend in on the street because of your eye color, but why would you even need to mention that at all when you were wearing sunglasses? As for the family, I am sure it isn't your eyes that make them know you aren't Egyptian. No need to reply to me though. Not looking to debate you or wind you up (as if you consider yourself as a source of cheap entertainment for me-lower the ego a notch please), just pointing out how what you are saying makes no logical sense.

Winged Isis wrote: Every post you make on this makes you look smaller and less respectful. :(
Enough said. :lol:

Carpe diem! :le:

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Quote:I've lost count of the number of tour leaders I've heard repeating the same old guff about it not being safe to go out alone, that they must be with a guide who can protect them..

Surly if you heard any of that crap you would have torn into them in-front of their guests, because if you didn't, then you must condone their statements...."good men remaining silent ect.........8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy »

Who2, I think I'm turning Egyptian, as I really steer clear of any confrontation these days. Sorry, but it is the cowardly streak starting to show!

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Winged Isis wrote:
Glyphdoctor wrote:
Winged Isis wrote:"I think you missed my point. If they felt you really were acting/dressing like an Egyptian, that you had achieved the level of respect they accord to an Egyptian, if you really had blended in, they would have never made such a remark to you in the first place. It's harassment and teasing. Saying you walk like an Egyptian is not a compliment or an indication that they think you are walking like an Egyptian. "

I never said I did it to blend in, with my complexion and eyes that would be ridiculous. As I said, that would also be insulting. No, they weren't talking to me, just quietly to each other. No harrassment, no teasing, just an aside.
I don't find any mention of family here...This statement was made in the context of what happened to you on the street. You were saying you wouldn't blend in on the street because of your eye color, but why would you even need to mention that at all when you were wearing sunglasses? As for the family, I am sure it isn't your eyes that make them know you aren't Egyptian. No need to reply to me though. Not looking to debate you or wind you up (as if you consider yourself as a source of cheap entertainment for me-lower the ego a notch please), just pointing out how what you are saying makes no logical sense.

Winged Isis wrote: Every post you make on this makes you look smaller and less respectful. :(
Enough said. :lol:
If you yourself were better than me and a paragon of respectful virtue there is no way in hell you would lower yourself to put a :lol: at the end of that...

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Maakari wrote:I know it has that reputation, but for the 1st time in 5 years I have to have my bottom in the car and gone before darkness! Every one comes to house and asks if I am going now!
Seems funny not to be checked at the checkpoint by police and passport perused and asked what time I will be back in Luxor, what ones are there just wave at us!

We were very aware of lack of security when we drove to Hurghada few weeks ago. Normally going across desert road there are very stringent checks. Almost had the tumbleweed balls rolling across the checkpoints! very weird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just warned at "welcome break!!!" coffee shop, DO NOT STOP FOR ANYONE, NOT EVEN IF THEY ARE LYING IN THE ROAD!, keep driving and drive fast!

:army:
That's very disturbing M, but nice to know people are concerned for your safety. I never like driving through those hills closer to Hurghada at the best of times... perfect for an ambush, I've always thought.
Carpe diem! :le:

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

As I write this sitting in my fashionable part of NW London there are dozens of police car sirens, 2 x police helicopters circling overhead, whilst I try 'with difficulty to listen to and watch the Balitimore crime series The Wire, [highly recommended] You really have no idea how lucky and safe you are living in Luxor, my local paper only reported 3 deaths this week in my manor alone..........8)

Christine

Post by Christine »

Well said George :) Its no better in Portsmouth you hear sirens all day long, shops keepers are constantly mugged and petrol stations held up whether you are in it or not!
Murder most foul committed here dosent even rate front page coverage any more :x
You get out of life what you are prepared to put in x

Barb

Post by Barb »

VERY well said who2 and Christine. :br: :br: :br: :br:

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Even happens to people I know, this was last week..........
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jul/0 ... -shot-dead

Mind you 'lay down with Panthers expect to get bitten.............8)
Sophocles.

Mimimay

Post by Mimimay »

I've not caught up with this thread yet but I just have to say again that we met only with good greetings and many,many 'Welcome to Egypt's' Spent very little time on the East Bank though and of course on the West Bank nothing seems outwardly different.
Different eyes see different things......different hearts beat different strings Image

Isabell

Post by Isabell »

I spend very little time on the West Bank and on the East Bank nothing seems outwardly different to me (except for a lack of tourists , which I am sure affects the West Bank too).

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Banjer will love you for saying Gomolla is unstable Mr Who!! suprised they have not replied, they bread the forum most days ha ha!!!

Also just posted that G/doctor is an American, and not an Egyptian, well blow me down with a feather.. all her posts made me think GD was a resident of the country, are you saying she is a visitor like us???

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Teddy thanks for pointing out about the poverty that is ripe, I and others realise this, but i for one will no longer give to anyone on the West Bank, in fact I refuse to buy a breadloaf now and when I go to the East Bank i will take my petrol can with me to fill and recharge my bike. Every business I have used on the West Bank have ripped me off, so I have taken every thing to the other side where there is a lesser chance of this happening. i have even stopped sponsoring a family on the West Bank.. People have to learn they will never get anywhere by smiling at me again, with LE signs rolling about behind their eyes.... you have read previous mails by me, this is my dessicion and that is how it will stay until someone on the West Bank proves themselves trustworthy....
My learning curve is starting to kick in now, and where I would acknowledge people that spoke or acknowledged me, I just Blank them.. I have nothing to prove, but many have!!! If anyone would like to come back to me on this they are welcome.... But be prepared for answers!!!

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy »

"a visitor like us???"

Come on now Choc! That's the daftest thing you've posted yet.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Quote:Banjer will love you for saying Gomolla is unstable Mr Who!!

Not a problem, I was a 'made man by the Capo de Capo of the Sisi family years ago...8)
Sophocles.

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor »

What a ridiculous argument, Choc - for one example, petrol is the same price on both sides of the river, fruit and veg are often cheaper here, and the bigger supermarkets are only slightly more expensive than Luxor. But if you want to risk what is left of your life on a motorbike going into Luxor shopping, I wish you well!

(By the way, I do think that Glyph is an Egyptian citizen as well as American)
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

I understand what you are saying LinL but that is not my point, my point is I would sooner not put any more of my money with the business's on the West Bank, whether or not the prices are good or not!!! whether petrol is the same or not...

It is my way of saying get stuffed you have ripped me off too much now, you will not get another penny from me!!!

I have withdrawn everything from the West Bank that I was contributing to.

Kevininabydos

Post by Kevininabydos »

stiff learning curve ain't it! :roll:
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor »

So, why not relocate to the East Bank, and suffer the same rip-offs there! You seem to be such an easy target for the rip-off merchants, that you will no doubt make the same complaints from there.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

I can honestly say LinL that I have never been ripped off to the same degree on the East Bank like the West Bank..

Good trick on the West Bank is to quote a verbal price, do the work and then want almost double on completion, saying "As we Agreed" What a load of rubbish, I only agree to an original price. But I will state again I will not put anything anymore into West Bank business's until they get their act together...

Incidently they are all at it, went into a supermarket a week ago, they do not give receipts so difficult to know what you have paid for what...

But

1 Creme Caramel
1 packet of digestive biscuits, local brand
1 litre of milk
1 toothbrush
1 pk Shisha Tobacco
1 Jelly
1 packet of Deema toffee's

Total Price 106le What!!!

When queried told no thats the price!! Needless to say that was the end of that love affair.....

Its an attitude of money for today, forget what lays ahead, makes for good customer relations... What i said previous nice smile, shame about the theft...

And it took an internet provider to show me the way, suppose I need to thank him for waking me up to the rip off culture... Any one want to buy a Villa 50,000,000 pounds (oh by the way that is Stirling) 100,000,000 if you are a local.. Sounds good to me....