How safe is Luxor?

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian »

Have to disagree Stan - Luxor temple area is in the tourist area and that is where I got punched in the head just walking down the street, the road from the station to Luxor temple is in the tourist area and that is where someone attempted to pickpocket my rucksack, the ferry from the east to west bank is used by tourist and that is where I was told to f*uck off back to Sweden (no idea why Sweden). Even the egyptians I have talked to have said things have got worse and they no longer feel as safe - why else have they put steel gates on their houses, won't let their wives go into town unless with a male relative and in one case he keeps a large axe in the hallway. Having said that I will also state that Luxor is safe compared to a lot of places in Egypt and England but it is NOT the same as this time last year ie pre-revolution. I will come back as soon as I have the all clear from my doctor.

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy »

"You use our limited water supplies, and our electricity and drive your motorcycle on our roads, you don't pay taxes, you don't spend any money in the community. And some people complain that they are not giving out tourist visas like stalks of sugarcane anymore."

I nearly fell off my chair when I read the above tripe!

'Our' limited water supplies, hahaha. You should try and walk about the streets here in Luxor Dr Dr, you'll need wellington boots at the moment to wade through the water being hosed all over the roads!

And 'our' electricity, are you kidding? With our A/C units and other electric gadgets, we pay for every unit we use, and at a higher rate than most of the local people who don't have A/C. Surely, as we are paying at that higher rate; we must be therefore be helping the poorer users?

Don't pay taxes? Maybe not income tax, as we arem't taking away Egyptian jobs, but it seems to me that every bill or invoice I get has the ubiquitous 'taxes' on the bottom!

Don't spend any money in the community? Then where in heaven's name DO we spend it? ALL of our money is spent 'in the community' of Luxor!

The only difference between you and us 'tourists' is that you happen to be married to an Egyptian, oh, and you're doing some Egyptian Dr Dr out of a job.

'OUR' water/electricity/roads! You crease me up Madam Dr Dr, just because you seem to have wangled Egyptian citizenship by marrying one; doesn't make you an Egyptian!!!!

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

LivinginLuxor wrote: There is no evidence, other than increased hassle, that Luxor is not as safe as before the revolution - in fact for tourists, whose money is appreciated, their safety is paramount.
Your having a laugh again Stan, there is enough evidence posted on here alone to state different, look back at posts from 2005 up to just before the revolution, maybe you will find a post about a motorbike handbag statch, BUT there is no other reports of Egyptians stealing or shouting crap at tourists or anything on the scale of reports that people have posted on here after the revolution.
but safety is just not an issue. Tourists feel safe here, and maybe they don't haunt the same areas as you do.
Your mind is playing tricks with you Stan again!!! YES I dont haunt the same areas as you like your DRINKING DENS, maybe I should, get ****** and most likely I will have your way of thinking.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been in Hurghada for 4 days and I cant believe the difference between Hurghada and Luxor, and wow what a difference, never saw any problems at all, no abuse from any Egyptians, shops asked once if you wanted to buy and left you alone after saying no, for once in a long time I had a great time and nearly forgot that such a revolution had taken place, accept for the low count of tourists from how I know Hurghada from the past.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

I like your post Teddyboy, I think Glyph was having a bad hairdo day yesterday :lol: lighten up Glyph you seem to be getting more grumpy over the slightest thing.

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian »

Glyph doesn't have bad hair days as she wear a headscarf. :)

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

Give Glyph some leaway, you like her forget she's a Yank. she suffers the ameriscan problem, you can only meet 'real Irishmen stateside although they have never been there or probably even know where it is on a map.
It's because they lack a true history and tend to latch on or adopt anything older than 50 years...............8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian »

Well - if she's young blonde and rich she can latch onto me :lol:

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

OH BTW im just winding Stan up like he does with me ;) we are like cat and mouse :lol: that's why he ignores me :P

Kevininabydos

Post by Kevininabydos »

Bearded Brian wrote:Well - if she's young blonde and rich she can latch onto me :lol:
If she has been to Vidal Sassoon she is a blond! :lol:
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor »

No - she is dark haired - I've seen her photo on her website - very power-hair!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

Darkstar
United Kingdom

Post by Darkstar »

Who2
PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2011, 7:54 Post subject:
Give Glyph some leaway, you like her forget she's a Yank. she suffers the ameriscan problem, you can only meet 'real Irishmen stateside although they have never been there or probably even know where it is on a map.
It's because they lack a true history and tend to latch on or adopt anything older than 50 years...............Cool

Well said that man :) , Also don't forget the inherent stupidity: examples

1, Voting for a president (Reagan) who had altzhhiemers, and giving him control of a nuclear arsenal!!
2, Voting for Bush twice.
3, They spent $$$$$'s over a million developing a pen to write in zero gravity, whilst the Russians used a pencil :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Or even not voting Bush in the first time, but allowing a Judge to award it to him when his opponent had a very narrow majority. ;)
Smile! It confuses people

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

My local Mp wrote to me Emily Thornberry nice, she's quite a chubby girl and I'm sure Iv'e never had a drink or openend the door to her before, but nice of her to thank me for voting for her, must have fell for her online from Luxor, small World eh..?
Sophocles.

Kevininabydos

Post by Kevininabydos »

LivinginLuxor wrote:No - she is dark haired - I've seen her photo on her website - very power-hair!
According to her own post on the forum Stan, and I cannot be bothered to hunt for it, after a visit to Vidal Sassoon she is a blond, I didn't say it was her natural colour.
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Kevininabydos wrote:
LivinginLuxor wrote:No - she is dark haired - I've seen her photo on her website - very power-hair!
According to her own post on the forum Stan, and I cannot be bothered to hunt for it, after a visit to Vidal Sassoon she is a blond, I didn't say it was her natural colour.
Comment removed by GM
I am sure that GD is very capable of defending herself, but some comments are getting a little too personal.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I don't defend myself against a bunch of adults poking fun at my hair color like a bunch of 13 year olds. Then they would win because they would have wasted my time just like they have wasted theirs.

Jolly holly berry 1

Feel safe

Post by Jolly holly berry 1 »

I have lived in Luxor and now am living back in england but give me a job and i would get on tha first plane out of this god forsaken country. As for feeling safe Luxor hands down.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

I love living in Egypt to the full, if not I wouldn't live there, but I'm a Londoner I ran away from home to London as all good kids do, I love London and I love Blighty and would never dream of slamming the door shut. If I die in Egypt or England do you think that I will give a monkeys.....dead is dead....8)
Sophocles.

Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

I'm coming with CozDragon for 3 nights on Saturday so it will be interesting to see how things are in Luxor.

We have people in Hurghada saying that tourists don't feel safe without the police on the streets but I honestly haven't noticed any difference.

That said, Hurghada streets are now flooded with police again, there has been a huge noticeable increase over the past few weeks.

I've flitted through Luxor before, it will be good to spend a bit of time getting to know it.