Heads Up On luxor Info

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Heads Up On luxor Info

Post by Zooropa » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:58 pm

Evening all. I wonder if you could help with a few bits of info. As mentioned in a previous post im off to luxor for a few weeks in September. Can anyone reccomend ( along with rough prices) the following:

A reliable taxi driver (whos not going to insist i go to the alabaster shop) for trips out to the west bank and in town etc.

Abydos, how much to get there and how long in a taxi? Also, i will be taking someone who cant walk very far so im using a wheel chair, how acessable in Abydos around the temple? If needs be she could walk certain parts but not too much, would it be practical to take her or not?

Many thanks all.

Zoo

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Heads Up On luxor Info

Post by Who2 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:12 pm

I once lived in Florida and went to visit the everglades, the first viewing area was 6O miles in, toilets, vending machines everglades [jungle]. the americans must have had a small bulldozer and tarmac layer that drove straight into the jungle. Upon entering this steamy humid pathway was a sign plasticized it read " Let no one say a Human has passed this way, drop No Trash'
Now this isn't Florida with all it's American 'buzzers & bells, wheelchairs you'll be wanting electric buggies next and pavements. Sorry to disappoint, but Bournmouth esplanade would be more suited....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Kevininabydos

Post by Kevininabydos » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:24 pm

Zooropa wrote: Abydos, how much to get there and how long in a taxi? Also, i will be taking someone who cant walk very far so im using a wheel chair, how acessable in Abydos around the temple? If needs be she could walk certain parts but not too much, would it be practical to take her or not?
In a word, no. Seti's temple is totally wheel chair unfriendly and there is nothing else to do there but the temple. It is 3 hours by car from Luxor, expect to pay up to 450 Le for the trip there and back [including waiting time, don't get conned into giving extra for the driver having to wait]. You do not need a guide, there are many good books on the Seti temple and the Ramesses temple and you will get better and more accurate information from the books than the guides. Take a pack lunch with lots of cold water, there is a cafeteria there but it is expensive.
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:39 pm

You should use a proper tour company for trips out of Luxor, taxi's are not insured like the tour company minibuses, you will find the price the same or even lower too.

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:10 am

For trips out of Luxor I've always used the 'tours' page on Luxor4u - tell them what I want and when and they e-mail back the price. I have found the prices compare well with other prices quoted by taxis etc with the advantage that in a minibus I can stretch out also you don't have the hassle of trying to fix a price with a taxi driver - the price you see is the price you pay (well plus a tip if you want).

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:34 am

I visited Abydos during my stay in Luxor last December - definately not wheelchair friendly, but an amazing and very interesting temple. I organised all my (many) temple/tomb visits myself using Petra Travel - excellent driver, keen prices, and no deviation from my itinerary ie visits to alabaster factories etc!

I will be in Luxor for over 2 months next winter and will certainly be using Petra Travel again. :up

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:57 pm

Petra travel is the company we use for tours, if you book through us you will get the same price and sometimes a little cheaper due to our agreement with them. Like Yildez says: excellent drivers, keen prices and no detours to places not on your itinerary, and your insured in case of any accidents.

www.luxor4tours.com or send an email with your equiries to info@luxor4tours.com

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:22 pm

One thing I've got used to with Petra travel is that they are usually early, I now ask them to ring me when they arrive and if I'm ready (which in most cases I will have been for at least 15 minutes) then we get going rather than waiting around for the correct departure time.