Visiting Luxor on my own

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Visiting Luxor on my own

Post by Winged Isis » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:26 pm

You can always go to any large hotel and sit and have a drink or meal. The Steigenberger has entertainment in the courtyard, and I'm sure some of the others would have some (just ask anytime you pass by). I saw an excellent bellydancer at the Sheraton once, and they have a disco (watch out for the men, though).

Carpe diem! :le:

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:17 pm

Travelling alone, I had a difficult experience in Luxor at the beginning of February. I had used Love Egypt Tours/Misr Travel opposite Deans Bistro once before, just for an airport transfer, so this time I decided to use the company for some trips. The manager allocated me a driver, who was really good, but he himself kept pestering me to go for lunch. Despite my polite but firm refusal on the first occasion, he continued even after my second trip.

I then realised that I could no longer use the company, but within five minutes of returning to my hotel, flowers were sent!! This caused a bit of a commotion in reception, as they knew I was a regular guest travelling alone (studying) and they asked me if I was OK. I texted him to say this behaviour was highly inappropriate but then he called my room, saying that I had taken it the wrong way! I had to ask reception to stop outside calls to my room.
I did check with other people and ex pats whether I was making too much of it but they were adamant that this behaviour was extraordinary - and where did he manage to get flowers!!!!!

This wasn't then end of it, as I then had really offensive comments made to me by the caleche driver friends of his every time I left the hotel. I gave them a telling off and then just ignored them.

I was sorry not to be able to use the driver again as he was very polite and respectful but I found someone else.
I had also received comments from other taxi drivers about always using the same company and not giving others a chance. After that I did try to use different drivers as I could see their point.

The thing is that I travel a great deal and I am in Luxor every January so I think I have an idea of how things are, but this took me totally by surprise. I have already booked my trip for 2013 but because of this experience I am staying on the WB.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:31 pm

I would suggest to anyone travelling to Egypt, even if only for a week, that they purchase a local sim card for their phone. It is good to be able to exchange tel numbers with eg a trusted driver, your tour operator etc for your convenience in making/changing arrangements. It is much cheaper than using your own phone and also means that you can keep your own number private and not run the risk of unsolicited calls and texts when you get home.

Another tip is not to give the name of your hotel to all and sundry. If for example you are staying in the southern end of town it may well be worth getting your driver (if you don't know him or he's a bit too 'familiar' with you) to drop you off at nearby but not exact hotel. Under no circumstances should you need to give your room number to anyone, and that includes tour operator or guide. If they need to contact you at the hotel they should be able to do that via the reception.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

shebs1964

Post by shebs1964 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:29 am

Kaiserbernese wrote:Travelling alone, I had a difficult experience in Luxor at the beginning of February. I had used Love Egypt Tours/Misr Travel opposite Deans Bistro once before, just for an airport transfer, so this time I decided to use the company for some trips. The manager allocated me a driver, who was really good, but he himself kept pestering me to go for lunch. Despite my polite but firm refusal on the first occasion, he continued even after my second trip.

I then realised that I could no longer use the company, but within five minutes of returning to my hotel, flowers were sent!! This caused a bit of a commotion in reception, as they knew I was a regular guest travelling alone (studying) and they asked me if I was OK. I texted him to say this behaviour was highly inappropriate but then he called my room, saying that I had taken it the wrong way! I had to ask reception to stop outside calls to my room.
I did check with other people and ex pats whether I was making too much of it but they were adamant that this behaviour was extraordinary - and where did he manage to get flowers!!!!!

This wasn't then end of it, as I then had really offensive comments made to me by the caleche driver friends of his every time I left the hotel. I gave them a telling off and then just ignored them.

I was sorry not to be able to use the driver again as he was very polite and respectful but I found someone else.
I had also received comments from other taxi drivers about always using the same company and not giving others a chance. After that I did try to use different drivers as I could see their point.

The thing is that I travel a great deal and I am in Luxor every January so I think I have an idea of how things are, but this took me totally by surprise. I have already booked my trip for 2013 but because of this experience I am staying on the WB.
Sorry to hear about this, its a real pain when you get unwanted attention and they do not seem to understand no, such a pity it has made you change what you have always done. I can see the point the taxi drivers are making but I don,t know if I would want to have to worry ever time I use a taxi if they are alright or use one recommended by someone else for peace of mind.

HEPZIBAH, Good advice re the sim card, but my phone takes a mini sim, can you get them in Eygpt.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:09 pm

shebs1964 wrote:
HEPZIBAH, Good advice re the sim card, but my phone takes a mini sim, can you get them in Eygpt.
I'm not sure about that but it is worth asking around to see if anyone has an old, unlocked, phone that takes a normal sim card. If not you can pick one up quite cheaply anyway. I know it's an extra expense but money well spent in the end if you have to go this route.
-Aldous Huxley

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:38 pm

Re the room number.

I was asked this via a phone call to my nice driver on a trip to Abydos. I queried why the manager wanted it and was given the impression it was for my forthcoming trip south, off the beaten track. I thought I was being rude by questioning it, that's the thing isn't it? I won't do that again!

shebs1964

Post by shebs1964 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:50 pm

I am not normally a suspicious person and tend to look for the good in people. I do not want to have to worry about peoples motives, but I suppose where Egyptian men in tourist areas are concerned I will have to be the complete opposite.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:45 pm

Could it not be the case that by always using "same,trusted"driver,you are building up far too much familiarity with him?
Sometimes,that can lead to misinterpretation.
I'm not suggesting for one minute that unwanted attention is acceptable,it is not!
But by using same person,you are storing up trouble for yourself...as the spoils are not being divided!
Have never found "trusted"driver,and never want to! I'm on holiday and have found that any Egyptian taxi,caleche,felluca,etc will respect me and take me where I want to go.
Thay see me coming out of hotel,they take me where I want to go,price is agreed...and deal is done!
No hassle,no unwanted attention,no jealousy...and they appreciate the custom,because all get a portion of it!

shebs1964

Post by shebs1964 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:54 pm

Very good points, something to consider

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:27 pm

shebs1964 wrote:I am not normally a suspicious person and tend to look for the good in people. I do not want to have to worry about peoples motives, but I suppose where Egyptian men in tourist areas are concerned I will have to be the complete opposite.
You are going to spend a week as a married woman, enjoying the sun at a beautiful resort, looking for a boogie at night among other foreigners. You know what you do and do not want and seem to trust yourself. Do the motives of men really matter?

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:45 pm

You are perfectly entitled to enjoy yourself shebs1964 in Luxor.
You have paid for it and you will spend your money accordingly!
Married or not...it gives no one the right to question your motives,Egyptian men or not!Cos,let's face it,they're all just looking for bored,lonely, middle aged women,who can provide that illusive visa,money and passport!
Bennu...you know their motives as well as I do!
Don't fall for it shebs1964!Have a great time and enjoy your holiday.
Be yourself,be honest and don't be too familiar with anyone!

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:18 am

Scottishtourist wrote: Married or not...it gives no one the right to question your motives,Egyptian men or not!Cos,let's face it,they're all just looking for bored,lonely, middle aged women,who can provide that illusive visa,money and passport!
Bennu...you know their motives as well as I do!
As I want nothing from "them" I do not need to know "their" motives, and in my opinion neither does Shebs1964, as long as she trusts herself, which seems to be fhe case.

shebs1964

Post by shebs1964 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:37 am

Bennu, you are right, as I am not interested in them is does not matter what they want, I am just going to enjoy myself. As you said ST they are looking for bored and lonely woman, and as I am neither, their motives do not matter as they will not get a chance to try.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:23 am

They'll try anyway shebs1964! Don't succumb!
Plenty of "wives"on forum.
Have always noticed that they don't ever reply to anything I write about them,but are quick enough to send PM's about insignificant little details and make caustic comments!
Enjoy and have a great time!Might even join you!

shebs1964

Post by shebs1964 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:14 am

Scottishtourist wrote:They'll try anyway shebs1964! Don't succumb!
Have always noticed that they don't ever reply to anything I write about them,but are quick enough to send PM's about insignificant little details and make caustic comments!
Would be great to have someone to boogie the night away with :mj: or just to meet up for a quiet drink :wi

hatusu
Egypt

Post by hatusu » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:10 am

[quote="Scottishtourist"]They'll try anyway shebs1964! Don't succumb!
Enjoy andMarried or not...it gives no one the right to question your motives,Egyptian men or not!Cos,let's face it,they're all just looking for bored,lonely, middle aged women,who can provide that illusive visa,money and passport!
[quote]

Rather a sweeping statement don’t you think ScottishTourist?
The reason many women married to Egyptians don’t bother to refute your claims is that nobody cares at all about those of us living happily, quietly, unsensationally in stable longterm relationshps for several years. Most people on L4U wouldn’t give a damn as they only want to read the bad news – good news is no news to nasty, vicious, backbiting gossipmongerers like yourself. I hope when you are on the West Bank you will come and visit my husband and me and slander us to our faces. We'd love to meet you.

Sylhilly

Post by Sylhilly » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:11 am

Scottishtourist wrote:They'll try anyway shebs1964! Don't succumb!
Try thinking of the 'wives' like this: up until about 30 years ago, in the UK, if a man and a woman who weren't married to each other wanted to spend some time together on holiday, she had to turn her signet ring the wrong way round and wear it on her third finger, left hand, and they'd book into a hotel as Mr and Mrs Smith. In Egypt, for Egyptian nationals, this isn't possible, it's against the law and they have to produce a marriage certiicate; an Orfi contract satisfies this requirement. In just the same way that Mr and Mrs Smith knew they weren't really 'married', Orfi wives know that they're not really 'married'. In just the same way that Mr and Mrs Smith could turn into a lifelong partnership, without feeling the need to visit a registrar, so can the parties to an Orfi contract. Likewise, in just the same way that it could turn out the Orfi husband is really only after the Orfi wife's money, so could Mr Smith be. I know it sounds daft that virtual strangers have to get married just to find out if they might want to spend more time together but that's the way it is in Egypt; there's plenty of other daft things in Egypt that don't make sense to Brits, but that's how it is and you just have to accept it as, really, being none of your business how other people lead their lives.

In exactly the same way that there are all sorts of 'marriages' in the UK, some involving people legally married, some not; some lasting a lifetime, some lasting just a few weeks; some where the husband is the breadwinner, some where the wife is the breadwinner and some where both partners work and contribute to the family coffers, some equally but some not; some involving children of the marriage, some with children from previous partners, some with no children; some stay together and argue constantly, some divorce amicably; some where there's a large age gap, some where the wife is older; some even involving partners of the same sex, there are also all sorts of Orfi marriages. If these women choose to spend their own money, or even someone else's, pursuing regular holiday romances in the sun, entering into long-distance committed relationships, sending money to people they care about, for whatever reason, or even packing up and moving to Egypt to be with them, as long as it's not your money, it really doesn't, and shouldn't, concern you.

As for people sending you caustic comments, they must really have been going some for you to recognise them as such, given your own very high standards in that area!

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:34 pm

Scottishtourist wrote: ...let's face it,they're all just looking for bored,lonely, middle aged women...
:D Which is why "they" leave the rest of us alone! :bg:

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:43 pm

Scottishtourist wrote: Sometimes,that can lead to misinterpretation.
I'm not suggesting for one minute that unwanted attention is acceptable,it is not!
But by using same person,you are storing up trouble for yourself...as the spoils are not being divided!
Have never found "trusted"driver,and never want to! I'm on holiday and have found that any Egyptian taxi,caleche,felluca,etc will respect me and take me where I want to go.
Thay see me coming out of hotel,they take me where I want to go,price is agreed...and deal is done!
No hassle,no unwanted attention,no jealousy...and they appreciate the custom,because all get a portion of it!

I wrote a reply to this last night but it doesn't seem to have posted so I will try again.

Could it not be the case that by always using "same,trusted"driver,you are building up far too much familiarity with him?! [/quote]

Whilst I suppose it could be the case, overall any discerning person would also be able to make up their mind if they wanted this leval of familiarity -whatever it may be - or not. If they are not happy they have every reason not to call on that drivers service again.
Scottishtourist wrote:But by using same person,you are storing up trouble for yourself...as the spoils are not being divided!
Rubbish! How can that store up trouble? 'Spoils are not divided' between who?
Scottishtourist wrote:Have never found "trusted"driver,and never want to! I'm on holiday and have found that any Egyptian taxi,caleche,felluca,etc will respect me and take me where I want to go.
Well all that can be said to that is 'congratulations'! You must be a fairly unique kind of person if you have visited Luxor more than once and used all those modes of transport and always been treated with respect - but that may be also about individuals description of respect!

I have always enjoyed walking around Luxor, and indeed found the whole idea of using taxi's for every journey so foreign to me as I rarely use them at home. I do use them, but still prefer to walk or catch a local microbus when I can. That being said, there are times when I need to use a taxi and, during the last 18 months I have found it more sensible to use one at certain times and in certain places. There are times I will just hail a taxi in the street or get into one on the ranks but overall, and especially if I am travelling any distance such as to friends in more off the beaten track areas, I would prefer to call a taxi driver that I have already used and am comfortable with.

I am sure that the majority of the drivers are very nice men, and (for Egypt) good drivers. I also accept that if they are not used we miss out on 'Mr Perfect Taxi' service, but for now I for one am happy to keep a list of 'trusted and recommended' drivers in my Egyptian phone and call upon as required.
-Aldous Huxley

Subversion

Post by Subversion » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:31 pm

Perhaps I am fortunate but I met my "driver" on my very first visit and I have since always used him and his family - and the relationships progressed to friendships - I feel very uncomfortable thinking of them as 'drivers" - they are friends who I respect provide a service. Our subsequent journeys have not been a case of hiring a driver - its been taking a road trip with friends - we stay together - eat together and share all the good, bad and totally absurd things that happen en route. When not travelling we would often socialise together.

Unlike Hepzi - I won't walk to my own bathroom if I can call cab!

As for KB's experience - I can imagine that was intimidating - but even if you hadn't given your room number - he would still have got it if he wanted it. There is no place to hide !

Sxx