Cruise price?

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Pammie
United Kingdom

Cruise price?

Post by Pammie » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:26 pm

Can anyone give me an idea how much a 7 day cruise from Luxor to Aswan costs for double or single cabin?
Also can anyone recommend a cruise boat? My contact is asking about dates in November, thanks :ni:

chiddy

Re: Cruise price?

Post by chiddy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:38 am

the cruise Luxor to Aswan is 4 days

there is another option for the return but think it is either 2 or 3 days

try Petra travel - they always have fair prices

as for the boat - often they will be combined so what you book may not be what you actually sail on

beware also that the cost of the trip may not include the on shore excursions
There is no such thing as strangers just friends yet to meet.

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:27 am

Was on a cruise for New Year could only get 3 nights, (wanted 2 ) Luxor - Aswan advise getting a room as high as possible. There were wonderful aspects of the trip but being stuck on a boat with very few other people, weather was so/so not what I would do again. Price believe it was around £1,000. for 4 people including food.

We then stayed in a hotel at Aswan for 4 nights then drove back to Luxor (3 hours), much prefered this. (My personal opinion lol...).

Weather in October is much more preferable than December, it got very cold at night.
It is what it is.

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:41 pm

We did the 7 day cruise Luxor/Aswan/Luxor at the end of August last year - we booked it through http://www.Sunshine.co.uk website (you need to have a UK credit card to book it if you are outside of UK though).

We paid £119 per person for 7 days Full Board but it didn't include the excursions.
We arranged our excursions with Ahmed of Petra Travel in advance.

In fact, I recommended him to a fair few on TripAdvisor too before they travelled. :)

We were on the M/S Serenade - not the best boat on the Nile and more akin to a floating 3 star Spanish hotel than the 5 star boat they imply on the website. It's operated by YouHotels.com and the boat is based at El Watania Dock which is a total sh**hole but if you have the contacts or ways and means to jump ship while it's docked, there's no problem. That's exactly what we did...

You can embark on Weds or Thurs as it doesn't sail until just after lunchtime on Friday.

I put up a post and some pictures on my blog here: http://wp.me/p1uja5-1Gj

(I entitled it The Good, the Bad and the Ugly as there was definitely a bit of everything contained in it).

I did also write to YouHotels and Sunshine.co.uk upon our return. Not to complain but to let them know that others who were on the boat would most likely be contacting them or their tour operators/agents. As I said, it's basic but the rooms were a good size with floor to ceiling windows, the AC worked fine in our rooms and the entertainment lounge was definitely cool. The chef used no imagination in his food preparation but there was always something I could eat. The hot pasta with garlic lunchtime dish was probably my favourite!

With hindsight, we would sail on the M/S Serenade again but would opt only for the short/one way cruise Aswan back to Luxor or Luxor to Aswan but not embarking until Thursday night or even Friday morning as we would prefer more time in central Luxor than stuck out at El Watania dock.
Michele,
Previously living in Limassol, Cyprus but now back in UK since 2016 :-(
Egypt is now so far away....

Pammie
United Kingdom

Post by Pammie » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:00 pm

Thankyou all for your information.... very helpful :)

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:02 pm

I wouldn't touch the MS Serenade with a bargepole!

I went on this dreadful boat in January 2012 and got so ill I thought I was going to die! I was one among many and I was told that at one meal there were only six guests.

The crew were also taken ill and the reception staff kept a vast supply of Antinal under the counter and were giving it out throughout the cruise. People out on the excursions were falling like flies and it was a truly dreadful experience.

I too contacted YOU Hotels on my return, but they weren't interested. In fact, there are a number of threads about this boat on TA and even now, over twelve months later there are still people getting sick.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:04 pm

Kaiserbernese wrote:I wouldn't touch the MS Serenade with a bargepole!

I went on this dreadful boat in January 2012 and got so ill I thought I was going to die! I was one among many and I was told that at one meal there were only six guests.

The crew were also taken ill and the reception staff kept a vast supply of Antinal under the counter and were giving it out throughout the cruise. People out on the excursions were falling like flies and it was a truly dreadful experience.

I too contacted YOU Hotels on my return, but they weren't interested. In fact, there are a number of threads about this boat on TA and even now, over twelve months later there are still people getting sick.
You are correct sir, I use to often travelled down river on this three*** boat many years ago, but these days it is rubbish, the only one to use now that docks in Luxor town is the Crown Class five ***** boats.

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:56 pm

Madam, actually, but I know that's not obvious from my name and avatar!!! LOL
:)

I appreciate your comments on this boat, I daren't say anything about it on TA!!

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:14 pm

I have not travelled on this boat but ive seen it, it was last year and it looked the dirtiest,scruffiest boat id ever seen. Ive been on two boats that don't dock in Luxor centre, the Commodore, it was ok but i would not bother again and the Domina, now that was nice and im about to book it again for June. Ive also sailed on the so called 5 star boats that moor close to Luxor temple, The regency & a sister boat that was in use when the Regency was off the water getting refitted, very nice boats and i enjoyed them but it is to be noted that 5 star in Egypt is not 5 star at most other places especially Europ/UK etc.

There are some good boats to be had away from the centre but it requires a lot of research if you are going to book before you go.

Ive also heard ropy reports of boats that dock in the centre of town so im not sure location is that key with the cruisers.

I don't mind docking outside of Luxor proper as i always book time in a hotel in Luxor afterwards anyway.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:50 pm

Cyprus100, cant see any boats on their deal selector, did you have to get in touch to get a quote?

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:18 pm

Zooropa - I just checked on sunshine.co.uk for Nile cruise options (choose Hotel only in the search selection) but there's nothing coming up for November for any cruise options so perhaps they haven't contracted as yet? Neither were there any for mid October.

http://www.sunshine.co.uk

I did try also for mid August just to be sure they are still offering cruises and a boat did come available but not the M/S Serenade.

YouHotels weren't offering anything either so I assume they're probably booking for a few weeks up ahead given the current climate:
http://www.youhotels.com/youtravelqa/10 ... le-Cruise/
Michele,
Previously living in Limassol, Cyprus but now back in UK since 2016 :-(
Egypt is now so far away....

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:25 am

In the past it had been easy to book a journey like this directly on the boat, but now not so. The only boat this time where I was able to book direct was Crown Empress, which ofcourse is one of 20 boats in the Travco group. The prices above seem rather high for this similar class boat.

When choosing a cabin request one on middle deck, and towards the middle of the boat, so that you are neither near to the engine room or the disco, usually on the opposite end of the boat. You also need to have a cabin on the west side, view much better, if going only one way. In addition to this you need a floor to ceiling slidding door in your cabin, to really enjoy the view, as you sip at that very large scotch and coke, as the sun goes down. :wi .

More on this in my full report. :wi .