Bit late, but...............

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Maakari

Bit late, but...............

Post by Maakari » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:42 pm

Just a few days back in the UK, .......................And I am missing Luxor already!
Just a mini blog on my time there.
Day of travelling was disaster, got to Easyjet bag drop nice and early no queue at all, Luggage was bang on 23kgs, so far so good..........then the assistant said "Sorry Madame,we can't allow you to fly" "Say that again" I replied. My Bl**#y
passport was 3 days short of the 6 month expiry length required by Easyjet to let you fly to Egypt! Because this was a re-booked ticket due my Fathers death in April, I had not thought about my Passports expiry date, nor had the agent noticed it when taking my PPI details over the phone. So Easyjet said if I could get Eyptian Embassy to fax acceptance of me I could fly. I duly rang them, to be told by ansaphone that they opened their phonelines at 9.30am, my flight boarded at that time!. So rang them, got fax sent to Egyptair who accepted me on flight..........at Heathrow. Mad dash to Heathrow by Taxi, purchased new ticket and ......relaxxxxxxx. Got flight to Cairo, , business seat, tv, meal, drinks, Lovely! When landed in Cairo, walked the several miles to the domestic gate..........only to be told I had missed conecting flight, I was totally flumoxed, how could I have missed it? The check in Lady told me that the 4 other passengers had got it, well, I told her i was the first one off the plane and that i had seen the other Luxor passengers still in their seats when I left, how did they do it and not me? They got a buggy offered them because they were elderly and got taken straight to gate
Well, that was why I did'nt get there, I had to use my old pins and walk! So was put up in Le Passage hotel for few hours, with nice meal and tea and caught 4.50am flight sucessfully. Found out later that the flight I was expecting to be on, that gets into Luxor at 11.50 was cancelled, that made sense then, I just could not get my head round how i had missed boarding!!!!!!!!!!!
So, finally got home at 7am, to have nice breakfast and sit and appreiciate the difference in temperature from Dorset, only a mere 30+_ degrees hotter! Just pottered for the day, then at 9.30 pm we set off to stock up on groceries, because T'Other halfs idea of balanced diet was a larder full of oil+potatoes =chips, Chipsys, and piles of fina bread!
Well disaster number 2 struck. My own stupid fault really. I have always maintained I would not get on that bl
##*y motorbike, but needs must, and I DID, MINUS HELMET DUH!!!!! 10 minutes into journey, stopped at traffic lights at HSBC /NOVOTEL roundabout, made our way across..........from Isis street came a wedding procession................and..bang! we knew no more until I was peeled off the floor, a silver car had hit us and I took a unplanned flight through the air to land on my Napper(that is head to you )
The car was told by people on roundabout, by this time at least 200 souls!, to "run away quickly before they catch you!" and mounted pavement and sped off down corniche. I was liberally sprayed with perfume and dabbed down with tissues by at least 15 women,and every one was saying "we are so sorry Madame" It were mayhem!"
So, we made our unsteady way to the police that are right by Bank to seek assistance...........Ha Ha...just as well have asked for help from the horses munching their nosebags than from these 2 pillocks! tHEY said "what accident, we were on our phones and did'nt see anything!" Realising that there was not any compassion or help from them we got taxi home, where our friends attacked us with Dettol and bandages, snd I retired to my bed to lay my head, which was pumpkin sized by now, to sleep. Hello Luxor, here I am again!
We did go to police station the next day, on the recommendation of a friend, who knows the chief of police, and says he wants to know of these incidents and to report them. So that just took a mere 5.5 hours, we got out the police station at 1.30 in the morning, after seeing every single office in the place, and having my statement transcribed and translated 6 times! by 6 different policemen! The head honcho man apologised, and said he did not like having to take reports like these from foreign vistors! I told him I did not like being in danger on his roads from burks in wedding cars who do not even know they are driving when they are in such a wedding fever! and I didn't appreiciate the fact that the Traffic police take a wage, and then do nothing when a traffic accident happens right under their noses. Police said we will hear from them shortly.........yeah, and there is a big fat (oh 'er)porker in the sky over Luxor!
Any way the rest of my stay was just as good as it always is! Very busy, saw good friends, made some new ones, went to a great concert at the conference centre, moved furniture, swam, shopped, walked,ate, then ate again,
Luxor has its problems yes, and it is a shame, but the people (well the majority)are still the same, and Luxorstillweaves it magic on me...............See you all in a few weeks time!
PS........... Police did not catch hit and run driver..........but local tom tom drums did! Man took car into repair workshop which is owned by friend of family. he had 8000le worth of damage and told the man he had hit a couple on motorbike on novotel roundabout, but was scared to stop because he had his wife, kids and 100 relatives in car! he then changed his story and said that he had stoped, made sure we were ok and offerd us money for bike and hospital bills!!!!!!
My T'Other Half has just asked for an apology from him...........we are still waiting..apparently he is scared to come forward, he would rather the police catch him!!!!!!!!!!

dsaxelby

Re: Bit late, but...............

Post by dsaxelby » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:12 am

Blimey and I thought our flight home surrounded with 6 kids, 2 being babies was a pain on top of that my daughter (22) was sick, I had a broken toe and other complications... lol.... sorry glad your ok though.
It is what it is.

Barb

Post by Barb » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:51 am

hope your cuts and bruises have healed well Maakari, your arm did look painful. :( It was lovely to finally meet you anyway.

Miss scarlett

Post by Miss scarlett » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:27 am

Wow, that was some holiday report. Glad you are ok, being hit by a bike must have been scary, but good it hear you are ok. Have a question about luggage being 23 kg, did you pay for a bit extra, as Easyjet luggage allowance is 20kg. Know when we were flying out last time there was a man being asked to take things out of his case and they kept re-weighing until he was just a fraction over the 20kg.

Always interested in luggage allowances. Someone once told me with Thomsons you can go 10% over before they charge you. Have flown with them and cases were 21kg and they didn't say anything. Know Egyptair allow you 23kg.

Thanks for sharing your trials and tribulations with us, 6 months before I go back again, first time visiting in December, and will be first time to take warm clothing for the evenings.

Maakari

Post by Maakari » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:09 am

Hi Miss Scarlett
I had 23kgs because my flight was a replacement for one cancelled few weeks ago due to the death of my Father. When I came to book rescheduled flight, i was informed that I had a travel voucher worth the original price, and could spend it how I wanted to, the new flight was considerably cheaper! So took extra 3 kgs hold luggage. Like I said, I was so chuffed when I put case on belt and it was 23kgs exactly! because I know Easyjet are pernickerty(?) over weight. As stated it went down hill from that point! As I travelled outwards with EgyptAir I could have taken 2 x 23 kgs! Never mind, I got there, that was all that mattered!

Maakari

Post by Maakari » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:14 am

Barb, Likewise, Great to meet you and your sister!
Really enjoyed my little bit of culture at the concert, a little bit of serenity in the hectic weeks ahead! I would have liked to have met up for coffee and chat, but with everything going on, just did'nt get spare moment again! Will be back in few weeks, so hopefully a cuppa and natter will forthcoming!
Take Care.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:22 am

Makkari, for that small moment in time we sheared the same space. I was just leaving the bank that day in my taxi and witnessed the accident. The car that hit you was jerking and attempting to clear the flow of traffic with impatience. I watched as his car hit you and helped you preform your aerobatic hard landing. I told my driver to stop to see if I could help but he refused stating that there was enough gathered around your prone form so shot off. I must admit that I did state that whoever it was should of had more sense than to ride pillion in Luxor, being of European origin. :oops: Hope you have recovered.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Maakari

Post by Maakari » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:45 am

Thanks Dusak!
Yep, think I have recovered, but the doctors at work still say I should have MRI scan to see if there is brain damage,because they want to know if I am less stupid now, And hopefully My usually sensible (yeah!) grey matter will never allow this 'Wold (Dorset!) body near the pillion seat of an Egyptian motor cycle ever again!!!!!!!!!
Normally, You would not have got me within metres of the Bl**~y thing, but I think the past trying events getting there had addled my brains, plus the fact there was nothing of any calorific value in the fridge, and I was too hot to walk, made a brain Synapse fry..............and on I got!.......................WILL NOT BE DOING THAT AGAIN!
PS .... Great holidays snaps... of my head and neck....looks like ET's cousin in technocolour! Why shoot a temple when you can see the wonders of stupid woman! :?

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:05 pm

As you had trousers on you should of said sod the traditional standards of decorum and straggled the thing. :up I did think at first you may have been a bit tipsy, but then realized attempting to walk in a straight line with a rear mudguard wrapped around your legs probably made this awkward. At least the lady that was patting your forehead looked genuinely concerned.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:23 pm

Do you honestly think the Police will find the driver, now you have left Luxor, many words are spoken in Luxor, and many actions are not bothered with.....

There are traffic lights where you had your spill, did the silver car ignore them? did you get names of witness's, was your other half ok? you did not say. I ride about Luxor frequently but am always aware of what S--t drivers and riders the locals are, maybe your other half realises this now, I bet he now thinks that the locals are c--p compared to us European Drivers. When you hired the bike or borrowed it hope it did not cost you and your partner a arm and a leg.

Maakari

Post by Maakari » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:35 pm

Dusak, I was straddling the beast!!!!!!!!!!! I think had I adopted the local position, I would have had to find at least 7 children, 1 newborn baby perched on the handle bars, and a huge cardboard box balanced on my head! As stated my tummy was grumbling, and I just did'nt get time to assemble the full entourage required by the sensible woman required on a motor bike there!
ps...........Had I been chastely riding side saddle, I think this beautiful (yeah right!) visage of mine would have been no more. I think it would have the victim of Luxors version of a deep dermalogical face peel!

Maakari

Post by Maakari » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:55 pm

Yes Chocolate Eclair, we don't expect any more communication from the police, It was obvious from the actions of the Traffic police on duty that they do not give a SH*#t about Law and order, they were just there to enjoy the nile view and smoke, drink tea and have a conversation with their sweethearts on their mobiles.
My T'Other half is Egyptian and does know what **** drivers they all are! The car was in wedding entourage coming from Isis Street(do not know its proper name!) Surprisingly most cars had stopped for that red light, but the nutcases that were in wedding fever just shot through at speed, we did'nt have a hope in hell!
As I said before, the Car driven has been revealed, I was stunned how that panned out, just a chance of him turning up at the very garage where a friend works. He is a man from the Sinai peninsula, just down for the family wedding. All my T'Other half wants is an apology (if he offers bike repair bill reinbursement, so be it) that will be it, he will have done his duty, as the family sees it. Apparently, you do not ask for any money towards any medical bills or compensation, that is seen as shameful, where the family comes from, just the humble apology wil suffice. I have to go along with that.
I am just glad to be here to put fingers to keyboard, obviously not my time to climb to the pearly gates, and A GOOD LESSON WELL AND TRULY LEARNED, Catch a microbus, walk, run, but do not under any circumtances perch me bum on the back of a motorbike again!

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:19 am

M sounds like you had a very lucky escape, I had to laugh about talking to sweethearts on mobiles, and dreaming about other things while viewing the Nile, never used to be this way, but do you know, nobody has come forward to give reasons why the Police situation has changed!

Is it because they feel underpaid? in which case they need to prove they are worthy of more pay!

Is it because they are anti President? in which case they need to realise that the President was elected in a democratic way!

Is it because they are lazy and fed up? in which case they should be fired from their jobs!

Nobdy knows and nobody is saying, someone should come forward and give a proper explanation so citizens of Luxor know and can either sympathize or rightly so, criticize. There was a governors meeting in Luxor in autumn last year and the Chief of Police attended, and he got absolutely shot down in flames, he promised to change things, but to be honest things seem to have got worse, apart from the task of getting rid of unlicensed motorbikes from Luxor Roads, the easy part of the job. when you look around the European Police its not vry often you see them eating their breakfast in the streets, or even smoking, you never see them playing domino's or backgammon in Starbucks, you never see them with shoes that have their laces loose, they are always helpful. Little Britain Street is one way, the Police see many vehicles going the wrong way and do nothing, even the Police Drivers go down it the wrong way so, if they set a poor example then others will follow.

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:51 am

It's not that simple. Prior to the revolution, the police here were not respected - they were hated, because of their cruel abuses of power. After the revolution, they no longer appear to have the will to do anything, as the respect is still not there, but they no longer have the powers that they had. So, maybe, many stay in their barracks rather than appear on the streets, where they may be subject to abuse if they try to enforce any law. It will take many years before the general public here regain any respect for them - after all it is a democracy now, so we can do what we want!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan