An amazing holiday !!!

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

annieacorn

An amazing holiday !!!

Post by annieacorn »

I returned home from Luxor last Wednesday,the day that most of the tourists were evacuated. Luckily, it was our last day anyway, but I felt so sorry for others who had their holiday cut short and even more so for the lovely staff at the Sofitel.This could be disastrous for them as it could be for the whole tourism industry, but I hope with all my heart that given time, this wonderful,vibrant,crazy country can recover and be ready to welcome visitors back.

That aside, we had the best and most memorable holiday that we could've wished for. The cruise was a wonderful way to see a lot of the monuments and because there were only 28 of us on the boat and the staff outnumbered the guests by 2:1,the service was impeccable. Our guide was very knowledgeable and so easy to listen to,that I learnt more in that week than I ever did at school.

There were certainly some culture shocks and even though I thought I was prepared for the hassle, the intensity of it really started to get me down by the end of the week.La shokran was rarely acknowledged and the tactics used included surrounding people at the back of the group and cutting them off from the rest and also actually following people onto the bus. We were shouted at twice by men who we'd refused to buy from, even though I would've loved to stop and have a look at what they were selling. Sadly,that's not possible in most cases.

Once we were used to it, we were able to really start appreciating the sights all around. What an amazing place Egypt is; a clash between ancient and modern and a melting pot of cultures. You'll all have seen some of the things that made our eyes widen - whole families being transported on one motor bike, donkeys and carts scooting along with the cars,cows grazing beside the main road,herds of goats in the middle of town and the fantastic banana and sugar cane crops fed by the mighty Nile.

I went to Egypt hoping to see history,culture and a different way of life and it was all there in spades. The Valley of the Kings,Queen Hapshepsut's,Karnak and Luxor Temples were all magnificent,but one of my favourite places was the Botanic Gardens on Kitchener's Island overlooking the Aga Khan's mausoleum.Standing in the quiet of the lush plants looking over the river to the desert beyond was magical. Even the moment on the return trip by water taxi when we were "hijacked" by two singing boys on surf boards,was part of the magic.

The only downside of our 2nd week in Luxor was that we were advised to stay in the hotel because of the unrest and so all we saw was what we'd been able to glimpse from the bus on our trips out. Didn't even make it to the museum.

I don't feel that I've been very articulate, but I'm finding it difficult to think of words which will properly describe the impact that Egypt, Luxor and it's friendly and frustrating people made on me. One thing is certain,I'll be returning just as soon as possible.I think I'm in danger of catching the bug. :yy

When the rug is pulled from under your feet.......dance on a different carpet

Lisak

Re: An amazing holiday !!!

Post by Lisak »

Aww, I was hoping you were going to post upon your return and I am so glad you had a fabulous time, even with the general unrest there.
Thank you for taking your time to post how you found your holiday and here's to the planning of your next trip. :D
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

That Luxor Magic strikes again... :up
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

You have been very articulate in your sharing of your holiday. Thank you. I am so glad that you had a good time - despite the odds which were quite high at the time. You've had your taster and it sounds to me as though you are looking forward to the next course. Now you've visited some of the sites you will be more prepared as to what you want to focus on next time.
Thanks again.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

:ks I was beginning to wonder, when we would hear from you, not even considering that you could have been disappointed. It was obvious that your adventurous mind would appreciate Egypt - I hope that you will soon be able to enjoy the museum and much more. :ks

annieacorn

Post by annieacorn »

I haven't just had a holiday,I've had an adventure and all the places on the Med that I used to love visiting seem to pale almost into insignificance against Egypt. I loved every minute of it,even the hasslers, because it was new and opened my eyes to an entirely different way of life.Nothing about my trip disappointed me.In fact, it all exceeded my high expectations. The whole thing was a revelation which I'm already longing to repeat. :yy

annieacorn

Post by annieacorn »

Actually,I meant to apologise for the late posting,but my Mum was taken seriously ill the day before we flew home.I've been at the hospital every day,but she's now stable thank lord and I've had the chance to reflect on my trip. :)

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Very sorry to read about your mother and hope she is soon restored to full and good health.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

annieacorn

Post by annieacorn »

Thank you Hepzibah.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I remember my first visit here and felt exactly the same, couldn't wait to come back to see more, so very pleased that you had a great time and I hope that your Mum's health continues to improve and you come back soon.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Annieacorn - great to hear you had an adventure. Enjoyed reading your accounting of your trip. Holidays come and holidays go but adventures are something you can relive over the years. Good to know your mom is ok.

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I, too, am glad that you enjoyed your trip, Annie. Egypt to me is like going home and it's always nice to read of like-minded people's experiences but it's not for everyone. I have come across lots of people who went once and said 'never again!' I have also come across loads of people who wouldn't even consider going there - or to any of 'those filthy dirty Arab countries', and all I say to them is that it's their loss and Egypt doesn't need people like them anyway! I often think I must have Nile water in my veins instead of blood! :lol:

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 »

I've always described a trip to Egypt as being not a holiday but an "experience".

Amazing history, old and new side by side along with rich and poor. Add to that an ever changing scenery with no two journeys ever being the same and that's Egypt.

I could probably say the same for India too after completing the Golden Triangle tour and returning to UK via Goa.

Not everyone will love it - but mostly everyone I have spoken with who has been to Egypt and particularly Luxor have all said they will go back in a heartbeat. I do love Aswan too as it has a slightly different feel about it. A bit more open and certainly not the same sort of hassle you get in Luxor - even at the temples and the city souk.

We won't be back this year but you can bet your ass we will be just as soon as we can. Too much going on for us in Cyprus this year with family coming over for visits from UK and Australia. I don't have enough holidays to skip off to Egypt as well. :(
Michele,
Previously living in Limassol, Cyprus but now back in UK since 2016 :-(
Egypt is now so far away....

MalcolmCrossfield

Post by MalcolmCrossfield »

My wife and I have spent 4 weeks in Luxor, February/March time for the past few years apart from the year of the revolution. We like it very much. On our last visit on two separate occasions we experienced amateurish and unsuccessful attempts to rob us and this was in the middle of the day in main roads that were admittedly quiet. This unnerved us but we still continued our holiday albeit with more vigilance. We would probably have returned in 2014 but the only flights from Manchester are with Thomson who only permit 7 and 14 night flights. In addition, we are obviously concerned with the deteriorating situation in the country but we hope very much that peace will return.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

You can now travel with Egyptair from Manchester to Luxor via Cairo. Your bags go right through, and the connection is in the same terminal so not a difficult option as Thomson don't accommodate the required length of stay. I fly back to Luxor 6/9 and I think I have just short of 2 hours to go through visa check and up an escalator. Not a difficult option compared to the charter flights to be honest.
Stand up to be seen
Speak up to be heard
Shut up to be appreciated

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

MalcolmCrossfield wrote:My wife and I have spent 4 weeks in Luxor, February/March time for the past few years apart from the year of the revolution. We like it very much. On our last visit on two separate occasions we experienced amateurish and unsuccessful attempts to rob us and this was in the middle of the day in main roads that were admittedly quiet. This unnerved us but we still continued our holiday albeit with more vigilance. We would probably have returned in 2014 but the only flights from Manchester are with Thomson who only permit 7 and 14 night flights. In addition, we are obviously concerned with the deteriorating situation in the country but we hope very much that peace will return.
Its a shame when your holiday stay is put to the test by the low life's that roam the streets here, but luckily they are a very small minority. But still, one is enough to spoil your stay and carry home bad news about Egypt. I think this sort of attack by the chancers will only get worse as the money drys up on the streets. A friend told me the other day that he had been grabbed on the street and his gold chain snatched, although it seems that this was an accidental bonus when the thug grabbed his collar. All Luxor can hope for is that people will not be put off and keep returning to visit us.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.