Situation in Luxor

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kunis

Situation in Luxor

Post by Kunis » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:51 pm

As someone who is due to visit Luxor in a couple of weeks time, it has been interesting to note that very little has be written by those members "On the scene" regarding the situation in Luxor.

An update would be most appreciated:-
For instance is the curfew in force in Luxor?
Do members feel it is ok to be out and about at present?
How do members feel about the immediate future.

I know of a few "travellers" who are due to arrive for their usual September visits and I am sure many would appreciate some guidance from those of you "In the Know"

Kunis

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Situation in Luxor

Post by DJKeefy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:40 pm

There is no curfew in Luxor...

It's seems ok to be out and about, but things can change quick so It's best to keep alert to your surroundings, anything could happen in a split second.. examples:

I was outside mcdonalds (Abu Haggag night) with a friend, everything seemed ok, within seconds people was running everywhere, bottle and rocks were been thrown in all directions, it was quite scary, people had blood on their faces, I just got out of the way quick as I could.

Shopping around 7pm at Kheir Zaman supermarket with another friend, we was just at the checkout when we heard lots of noise outside, it was a pro-morsi march, people were carrying big sticks and shouting, some seemed very threatening, yet everything was ok and they passed without incident.

Other times ive been out and about and had a wonderful day without seeing anything unusual

Many of the younger lads are more boisterous than before (in mubarak years), but just ignore them.

My thoughts at the moment... I have visions of extremists causing many problems like the hatshepsut incident or something that will screw the tourist trade up for a long time :(

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:56 pm

I am not in Luxor so what I write is only based on my own feelings and information that I receive.

I would not cross the river by motor boat or local ferry at night. The problem is that one does not know what the situation will be when one alights - things can change quickly. One could be very vulnerable on the local ferry.

I would not go out from my accommodation at night except with a prearranged taxi, except very locally.

I would take extra care of myself, my property and my driver. If people know that my driver has a customer then he becomes a target himself.

I will be in Luxor as soon as the FCO reduces its advice.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:01 pm

Brian, incidents do happen in the day too, so always be alert and aware of your surroundings, day or night.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:04 pm

DJKeefy wrote:Brian, incidents do happen in the day too, so always be alert and aware of your surroundings, day or night.
I agree, but one can better see what is happening or about to happen in daylight.

On the rare occasions that I cross the Nile these days I tend to take a taxi via the bridge. It costs a bit more, but I feel safer (and as I don't like the steps to and from the boats and ferries I also feel safer (from tripping))

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:07 pm

Have been out and about this afternoon and evening with no problems town was very quiet this afternoon.
Nothing coming up this end of town at all apart from traffic!
I assumed there maybe a march tonight on TV St as all the traffic and buses were coming both ways up and down St Joseph St.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:21 pm

Bombay wrote: I assumed there maybe a march tonight on TV St as all the traffic and buses were coming both ways up and down St Joseph St.
I think that's because they have blocked all of the road off again from puddleducks to Awlmier(sp)

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:43 pm

DJKeefy wrote:
Bombay wrote: I assumed there maybe a march tonight on TV St as all the traffic and buses were coming both ways up and down St Joseph St.
I think that's because they have blocked all of the road off again from puddleducks to Awlmier(sp)
They have never been unblocked for weeks :!:

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:58 pm

Bombay wrote:
DJKeefy wrote:
They have never been unblocked for weeks :!:
(coming from Awlmier) The bit where the Egyptian police station is was open today (2 barriers were removed at both ends), I went through it (and so did some cars), after nady shab (football ground) the road was blocked so you have to turn right into fayrouz or left down little Britain street, however later on (around 5:30pm) the barriers were closed again at the Egyptian police station, so I had to go around past isis hotel and then up St Joseph St.

Like you say, the other stretch of road from puddleducks to little Britain street is always blocked off.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:19 am

yes thinking of turning the restaurant into an army and navy shop :up

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:41 am

Well with two way traffic on this, oh so narrow street, and at high speed at that, to boot,......yercould try selling dust bowls. :wi :wi :wi

P.S.- I feel a reel of sympathetic adverts coming on for a certain restaurants, usual 50% discount wallers,...........do your stuff :wi :wi :wi :wi .

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:45 am

We now have several speed bumps on St Joseph St.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:49 am

..........and since when have they ever been useful in Luxor, though even more dust for your money :wi :wi :wi :wi .

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:08 am

I was in Luxor yesterday, it was very quiet until around 11.30am infact like a town that had been deserted and void of traffic. It all started picking up at around 12noon, people started bck on the streets shopping and vehicle movement, but all was peaceful and the local people all seemed relaxed and going about their normal business.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:20 am

Bombay wrote:We now have several speed bumps on St Joseph St.
So another few sleeping policemen. I suppose that they increase work for mechanics and fuel stations. :td

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:23 am

I agree with CE's comments. We spent much of the day in Luxor doing our usual round of shopping and also a quick side trip up to Karnak to see someone. Supplies of certain things are missing but that is inevitable with the disrupted transport situation. Roads were quiet and parking easy. People were friendly as usual but at least one asked us when the tourists were coming back....what can you say to that :(

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Kim

Post by Kim » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:24 am

Im due out in about 5 weeks time and I will be alone (single female) been coming to Luxor 2-3 times a year for years, as I will be in an apartment on the west bank for 1 month my family are worried about me but I also stand to loose a lot of money if I don't come as everything is booked privately, I think as I know luxor better than my family and I am aware of the situation I should be ok but it is a big decision on what to do.

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:29 am

We did see a few tourists and some actually stopped by the APC outside the HSBC and asked the soldiers if they could take photographs. Cigarettes were thrown away guns were picked up and and serious soldier faces put on for their pictures.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:32 am

BBLUX wrote:We did see a few tourists and some actually stopped by the APC outside the HSBC and asked the soldiers if they could take photographs. Cigarettes were thrown away guns were picked up and and serious soldier faces put on for their pictures.
I hope that the tourists gave some backsheesh ...

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:54 am

DJKeefy wrote:There is no curfew in Luxor..
My thoughts at the moment... I have visions of extremists causing many problems like the hatshepsut incident or something that will screw the tourist trade up for a long time :(
Do you really think that this could happen? The mass slaughter of Europeans? Apart from us lot there are very few collecting in groups, and if that happens it would not be at a tourist attraction. So I was thinking were could they hit. Perhaps they could shoot a balloon down if any are still flying or attack a cruiser if any are still sailing. But I don't think they would enter Luxor, hopefully, but you never know with these fanatics. I just hope you are wrong on this one keefy.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.