Situation in Luxor

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Situation in Luxor

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:15 am

Kim, on the West Bank all is peaceful, its like another world, bring your suntan oil and enjoy. Don't be put off by some of the over exaggerated reports you may see on the News Media

Kim

Post by Kim » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:45 am

thanks ce im checking on the forum all the time and im also getting the emails from the fco but from what im reading on here I will be there soon as I hope one day to be there a lot more 8)

Chris
Egypt

Post by Chris » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:02 am

I have lived here for over 10 years and I have to say that I do not now feel secure about living in Luxor. I will continue to stay until I feel that I am no longer happy living here. I have my evacuation plan organised should I need to leave quickly

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:35 pm

Dusak wrote:
DJKeefy wrote:There is no curfew in Luxor..
My thoughts at the moment... I have visions of extremists causing many problems like the hatshepsut incident or something that will screw the tourist trade up for a long time :(
Do you really think that this could happen? The mass slaughter of Europeans? Apart from us lot there are very few collecting in groups, and if that happens it would not be at a tourist attraction. So I was thinking were could they hit. Perhaps they could shoot a balloon down if any are still flying or attack a cruiser if any are still sailing. But I don't think they would enter Luxor, hopefully, but you never know with these fanatics. I just hope you are wrong on this one keefy.
Yes I do think it could happen. Like you say "you never know with these fanatics" I'm not just speaking about Europeans targets too, they dont care who they are as long as they can cause some kind of destruction to try and destabilize the country.

How easy would it be to enter a archaeological site and place a bomb? Luxor temple for example, ive seen guys jump over the fence to go for a pee, Ive seen lads go and get a football that's gone over, it's so easy to enter from any part of the temple.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:48 pm

In reply to Kunis, I have been all over town today, to the big market across the railway line, never saw a sign of police or army, yesterday went into the centre of town and all was quiet and the same. Yesterday as I said in one of my previous posts I spent part of my day in TV St, all quiet, but as Keefy said although he saw no problems there was a lot of Police and Army activity, just an hour before I arrived. As far as I can judge Luxor is back to normal. I think one reason why those of us who live here don't post much about the situation here in Luxor is because we are often accused of almost lying when we say we go where we want, dont get hassled, dont get chased by caleche or taxi drivers. Maybe it is because we live here and are recognised and they know it's a waste of time with us. But I would I'm afraid not tell anyone to come to Luxor because we dont know what will happen, I wouldn't tell them to stay away either, you have to make up your own mind. As for Kim I am shortly moving to the west bank, not because it seems safer but because I need a change and wandering round there is fine. I hope you all enjoy your holidays here, just be sensible.

Kim

Post by Kim » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:32 pm

thanks Carrie, I wondered if you had made your decision regarding east/west and it looks like you have I had hoped to be living in luxor but a change in circumstances has postponed that for a short while, I hope I can pm you nearer the time and get some advise off you as a single woman in luxor :?:

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:52 pm

Carrie moving to the West Bank?...oh dear there goes the neighbourhood then :lol:

Seriously, you will be welcome to join our little group of people who never see any trouble in the community :)

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:18 pm

Kim wrote:thanks Carrie, I wondered if you had made your decision regarding east/west and it looks like you have I had hoped to be living in luxor but a change in circumstances has postponed that for a short while, I hope I can pm you nearer the time and get some advise off you as a single woman in luxor :?:
I'm here as a single woman with her child, we are in Karnak, most of the establishments are open as are the hotels albeit empty! The last week we have been restricted by events i.e we do not wander around Luxor but have managed to get our shopping and phone credit etc.. feeling a bit constricted now hopefully the coming week we will venture further during the day. Have got out for a meal in Luxor but no caliche as yet.

The biggest problem seem now to be the men, there are not many females here, before they were there but did not bother us now we get wolf whistles, men coming up to the taxi window etc.... thinking of putting a huge wart on the end of my nose, but not sure that would bother them :(
It is what it is.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:00 pm

Best thing to do is not respond at all completely ignore them.
I remember one day walking through Karnak and in the distance were four boys, all what I call sports boys with the tight T shirts etc, I thought to myself these lot are going to have a go and sure enough one of them got up and said I am here you look for me, I stopped looked him up and down and said in Arabic why should I look for you frog. His mates were hysterical, they nearly fell off the wall laughing. He slunk back, bet he thinks twice next time. But that was a one off I still think the best thing to do is ignore them.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:02 pm

Yes BB I have decided to move to the "dark side." See you in Blue Sky one evening.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:51 pm

carrie wrote:Yes BB I have decided to move to the "dark side." See you in Blue Sky one evening.
I have just priced up a fortnight flight (only) from Birmingham to Hurghada. Maybe I also will be in Blue Sky?

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by BBLUX » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:49 pm

I think there are a few vacant hotel rooms available over here for you ;)

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:46 pm

BBLUX wrote:I think there are a few vacant hotel rooms available over here for you ;)
I would hate for a hotel to have to open up just to accommodate me :!:

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by BBLUX » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:08 pm

A whole hotel and all its staff waiting on your ever whim, why not :P

Maakari

Post by Maakari » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:34 pm

Hi daxelby! I am back next week, and I am in Karnak, if you feel in need of a female chat or a walkabout, give me a pm. Supposed to be moving into new flat, but it seems to be taking longer then Cheops bloddy pyramid!
I shall be flying in (sans broomstick, on the 29th ). Dusak has kindly said he has some contacts in the home furnishings business, so hopefully will be coming your way some when soon to pick his brains!

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:58 am

I would think there are more than a few hotels waiting to welcome people on the West Bank, that is those that are still open. :lol:

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:07 am

carrie wrote:Yes BB I have decided to move to the "dark side." See you in Blue Sky one evening.
Bit of a newbie eh ? The West Bank is known as the bright side, you'll find out why soon....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:13 am

Who2 wrote:
Bit of a newbie eh ? The West Bank is known as the bright side, you'll find out why soon....:cool:
Power cuts ended then? :D
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Kunis

Post by Kunis » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:13 am

Thank you to everyone who wrote replies, I have passed on a précis of your comments to those others I know who are either coming or wanting to come to Luxor in the near future.

kunis