visiting Luxor

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kunis

visiting Luxor

Post by Kunis » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:01 pm

Having thoroughly enjoyed my Autumn break in Luxor and now having the English winter to look forward to I thought I would cheer myself up a bit and have a look at making some tentative internet enquires for my Spring break.

Firstly I usually like to get the direct flight LHR/LXR and that is not listed until April the 7th, but assuming I would travel then I decided to have a look at the hotel situation.

I usually stay at the Etap so looked there first and was quite shocked to see that the price for my normal stay was three times what I have paid before, so began checking other hotels and it would appear that all prices have increased significantly. During my stay in September I noted that a number of hotels had closed whilst the tourist numbers were very low so I don't think they can have many bookings at this time.

I also had a look at the prices for flats etc. and it would appear from memory that here too prices have increased since I last looked.

Considering that tourism is so important to Luxor I cannot help feeling that these price increases are not being implemented at a good time, if Luxor wants to get the tourists back.

Winter is probably the time of the year when many people start thinking about where they would like to go for their bit of sun and relaxation so now should be the time to start making Luxor look an attractive option.

Naturally I am going to refrain from even making any tentative arrangements for now and hope that someone somewhere will realise that previous lost revenue can not be made up at a later date by trying to charge considerably more.

kunis

Luxoritis

Re: visiting Luxor

Post by Luxoritis » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:25 pm

Ask the hotel for prices, some of them are doing better rates if you contact them

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:16 pm

Kunis wrote: I also had a look at the prices for flats etc. and it would appear from memory that here too prices have increased since I last looked.

Considering that tourism is so important to Luxor I cannot help feeling that these price increases are not being implemented at a good time, if Luxor wants to get the tourists back.
Prices on our website are still the same as they were before the revolution.

www.luxor4flats.com

db889

Post by db889 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:06 pm

Just been quoted for 3 adults triple room at St Josephs. £20 a night b&b. direct with the hotel. Just under £7 pppn. About the same as last march.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:47 pm

Although I hate to mention it twice in one day, when I wrote As I SEE IT as a subject post in this section in March of this year, I drew peoples attention to a character in a restaurant in 'Little Britain', who was staying at Senesta St George. He informed me that while staying there for two weeks, he and his wife had not even bought as much as a bottle of water at that hotel. When I next saw him, the hotel had informed him that a future visit the following year, would be set at a much higher price.

While I am not suggesting for one moment that you have done similar Kunis, I do fear that most of the old, what were inter-national hotels in Luxor, will seek clients that pay for a 'fully inclusive deal'. It seems that evidence of this is now beginning to show. I know the old Etap has always held its standards, but I think even you would agree that there are very few restaurants near this hotel, where NEW tourist would venture.

I agree with what DJKeefy says here, but at the same time, I see prices of other, shall we say, well known sites, where the prices are quite outrageous, for flats and holiday homes on the WB, even under a normal situation in Luxor.

While the large hotels in Luxor are able to hold their ground, other much smaller ones, are quite vulnerable, including believe it or not St Joseph's Hotel, which db 899 mentions here, where the owners have, shall we say, committed themselves to a couple of ill thought out expansion developments even before the present day troubles. Ensure you pay for such hotels by credit card, but you may still end up with conditions similar to when the Morris Hotel eventually closed. [See Trip Adviser for further details.]

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:45 am

I recently booked at the Nile Palace for 3 late December. I paid less for 3 nights Half Board than I did for 2 nights B&B last December. As always, I booked through Travel Republic.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:26 am

At the end of the day, doesn't really matter if the rooms are free. If you are battling against the Governments ''should we shall we'' decisions concerning travel, the same attitude with the insurers, canceled flights, nearly all the most popular restaurants closed, whats the point in trying to get here.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Kunis

Post by Kunis » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:19 pm

A-Four wrote:Although I hate to mention it twice in one day, when I wrote As I SEE IT as a subject post in this section in March of this year, I drew peoples attention to a character in a restaurant in 'Little Britain', who was staying at Senesta St George. He informed me that while staying there for two weeks, he and his wife had not even bought as much as a bottle of water at that hotel. When I next saw him, the hotel had informed him that a future visit the following year, would be set at a much higher price.

While I am not suggesting for one moment that you have done similar Kunis, I do fear that most of the old, what were inter-national hotels in Luxor, will seek clients that pay for a 'fully inclusive deal'. It seems that evidence of this is now beginning to show. I know the old Etap has always held its standards, but I think even you would agree that there are very few restaurants near this hotel, where NEW tourist would venture.

I agree with what DJKeefy says here, but at the same time, I see prices of other, shall we say, well known sites, where the prices are quite outrageous, for flats and holiday homes on the WB, even under a normal situation in Luxor.

While the large hotels in Luxor are able to hold their ground, other much smaller ones, are quite vulnerable, including believe it or not St Joseph's Hotel, which db 899 mentions here, where the owners have, shall we say, committed themselves to a couple of ill thought out expansion developments even before the present day troubles. Ensure you pay for such hotels by credit card, but you may still end up with conditions similar to when the Morris Hotel eventually closed. [See Trip Adviser for further details.]

I agree Afour

I too have noticed many people spend absolutely nothing extra in the hotel, and I am pleased to say I am not one of them, I am particularly fond of the Sarab bar at the Etap and use it almost every night. Mind you I do not tend to buy water there @ 12le a bottle. As for restaurants I do tend to go out to eat as the menu at the Etap has not changed in years.

Generally speaking I have not stayed in flats as being a lone traveller I prefer to have people around me if only to say good morning to, also as a tourist the security and shelter an hotel provides can be re-assuring.

Kunis

Kunis

Post by Kunis » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:25 pm

Luxoritis wrote:Ask the hotel for prices, some of them are doing better rates if you contact them

This is what I intend to do but I will wait a while until the management/s start to realise that the tourists are not going to come rushing back as soon as the FCO changes its advice.

The last time I asked Etap for a quote for this last April their price was exactly double what Hotels4u were asking!!!!!!!!

kunis

Luxoritis

Post by Luxoritis » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:51 pm

Yes Kunis unfortunately this does happen. If you know them well contact them direct , my friend booked with them and got a good deal. Think he asked Ali.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:09 pm

..............or say you had a word with Mr Nadgee, the last time you were there, he is/was the manager.

Kunis

Post by Kunis » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:21 pm

Luxoritis wrote:Yes Kunis unfortunately this does happen. If you know them well contact them direct , my friend booked with them and got a good deal. Think he asked Ali.

I fully intend to contact Aly before I book. After all he owes me a favour or two for getting out of the clutches of a couple of cougars.

kunis

Kunis

Post by Kunis » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:23 pm

A-Four wrote:..............or say you had a word with Mr Nadgee, the last time you were there, he is/was the manager.

Strange as it might seem I don't think he even recognises me although I have been staying there for the last 20 years

kunis

Luxoritis

Post by Luxoritis » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:10 pm

Kunis, we did the same for him but with a tramp ha ha. Manager is some big man , and by big I mean girth :o