Encouraging Al Jazeera Report-Luxor

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

TAL777
Member
Member
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:52 am
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 46 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Encouraging Al Jazeera Report-Luxor

Post by TAL777 »

Al-Jazeera put out an encouraging report in the week about the deserted but peaceful state that Luxor is now in..

They found just two tourists at Hatshepsut who were Japanese or Chilean I believe, celebrating the fact that they had these Wonders of the world to themselves..

If the pro-Brotherhood Al-Jazeera is admitting it, then it seems like a good time to start returning (via a bus ride from Hurghada of course)..


User avatar
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7525
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:48 pm
Has thanked: 919 times
Been thanked: 2820 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: Encouraging Al Jazeera Report-Luxor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Why wouldn't they "admit" it?
TAL777
Member
Member
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:52 am
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 46 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: Encouraging Al Jazeera Report-Luxor

Post by TAL777 »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Why wouldn't they "admit" it?
Well, maybe you don't know that Qatar and its global propaganda arm Al-Jazeera were very much Pro-Morsi supporters, indeed they probably had a strong hand in getting him elected iin the first place.

And now that the current Egyptian regime has locked up, some claim killed many Brotherhood members, do you really think Qatar would want to paint a positive picture about Egypt under this new Government??

The fact that they have been positive in this report about Luxor means that it can't be denied.
User avatar
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7525
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:48 pm
Has thanked: 919 times
Been thanked: 2820 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: Encouraging Al Jazeera Report-Luxor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Uhhh, yeah I know al Jazeera's spin on things. I don't need you to explain it to me.

But I don't know what was particularly positive about the report. It shows that tourists don't want to come to Luxor under the current government. If you don't understand that underlying message in the report then I don't think you are in a position to lecture others about what al Jazeera's perspective is.

And for your information, since you probably don't get al-Jazeera Mubashir Misr there in Germany, they actually reported that hotels were operating at 2.5% capacity in Luxor way back during Ramadan, believe it or not they even interviewed some people in the tourist industry in Luxor, so they aren't hiding the current state of affairs in Luxor since the MB were removed from power.

Oh, and the tourist at Hatshepsut was from Chile, but if you know what Chinese people look like and what Chinese names are like and Chinese accents then you would have known he was of Chinese ethnic origin. Definitely NOT Japanese.
TAL777
Member
Member
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:52 am
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 46 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: Encouraging Al Jazeera Report-Luxor

Post by TAL777 »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Uhhh, yeah I know al Jazeera's spin on things. I don't need you to explain it to me.

But I don't know what was particularly positive about the report. It shows that tourists don't want to come to Luxor under the current government. If you don't understand that underlying message in the report then I don't think you are in a position to lecture others about what al Jazeera's perspective is.

And for your information, since you probably don't get al-Jazeera Mubashir Misr there in Germany, they actually reported that hotels were operating at 2.5% capacity in Luxor way back during Ramadan, believe it or not they even interviewed some people in the tourist industry in Luxor, so they aren't hiding the current state of affairs in Luxor since the MB were removed from power.

Oh, and the tourist at Hatshepsut was from Chile, but if you know what Chinese people look like and what Chinese names are like and Chinese accents then you would have known he was of Chinese ethnic origin. Definitely NOT Japanese.
Typical, I thought someone on here would find something to argue about..Argue, argue, argue...the Luxor 4u Arguing Forum..

Actually, whatever Government there is most people don't care, as long as flights are going to Luxor and they can visit. There are no flights so they can't visit directly added the FCO advice against travel. Don;'t you read all the threads here wanting to know if Easyjet, Thomson and Egyptair flights are still flying to Luxor. Are you getting all high and mighty now about Morsi being overthrown and 'democracy' being denied, perhaps you are a MB supporter. Most tourists I have learnt couldn't care less. Ask those still going to Sharm right through this crisis..

I said Japanese or Chilean and they were Chilean, they could easily have been Japanese. Is their natonality that significant or important?

Ok and in my view, peaceful equals positive.

Perhaps you equate positive in another sense such as people still being killed?
User avatar
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7525
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:48 pm
Has thanked: 919 times
Been thanked: 2820 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: Encouraging Al Jazeera Report-Luxor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I doubt there are direct flights from Chile either. In fact, there were very few countries that had direct flights to Luxor even in the best of times. You assume people coming to Egypt only want to see Luxor, that they have no interest in seeing the pyramids in Cairo.

As for my political leanings, that's none of your business. You wouldn't have any clue what they are actually because there really is no reason for me to advertise them to the whole world, especially to foreigners who may or may not have the best interests of this country in mind. But hey, I know now that it is trendy to call someone an MB supporter to insult them or make trouble for them. You can say whatever you want about me, just remember it doesn't make the receiving party an MB supporter.

But let me point out to you how many of the expats who were kissing the feet of the MB elected representatives just two years ago have now hidden the videos and posts of their pro-MB love fest and are now kissing up to the new leadership in Luxor instead and acting as if the MB were always the devil's spawn. They were espousing views that they thought would curry favor with those MB leaders and now are even espousing the opposite views just because that is what they think the governor wants to hear. What's worse, is it isn't even their country for them to be meddling in internal affairs anyway so I just don't get it at all. If you have principles you believe in, fine, but clearly they don't which makes their behavior all that more suspect.

There's nothing positive about people losing their livelihood (as was reported in this report about Luxor) or dying (as in I don't know who you are referring to exactly). You are a sick person to suggest that I would think otherwise.

Can't take a disagreement and just call it arguing? Mashi, if that is what you want, argue with yourself, this the last word I will have with you.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 3992
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:04 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 1698 times
Been thanked: 1830 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: Encouraging Al Jazeera Report-Luxor

Post by A-Four »

Glyphdoctor wrote: Mashi.

You can always tell when some one sticks the needle in Glyph, she will spit out the odd Arabic word without realising it. Yer O.K.
User avatar
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7525
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:48 pm
Has thanked: 919 times
Been thanked: 2820 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: Encouraging Al Jazeera Report-Luxor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

No, I've just gotten to a point in my life where I realize it is too short to waste any time at all on certain types of conversations and it is best to cut them short and to do so quite clearly.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 3992
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:04 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 1698 times
Been thanked: 1830 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: Encouraging Al Jazeera Report-Luxor

Post by A-Four »

You may have noticed Glyph, that now and again, one or two of the 'gods' will appear on here at very short notice, and will spit out verbal venom from high, like a bolt of lightening, then returning up to the sky, to hide behind a cloud again. I sometimes feel that my elevation is due soon. :wi .
TAL777
Member
Member
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:52 am
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 46 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: Encouraging Al Jazeera Report-Luxor

Post by TAL777 »

Glyphdoctor wrote:I doubt there are direct flights from Chile either. In fact, there were very few countries that had direct flights to Luxor even in the best of times. You assume people coming to Egypt only want to see Luxor, that they have no interest in seeing the pyramids in Cairo.

As for my political leanings, that's none of your business. You wouldn't have any clue what they are actually because there really is no reason for me to advertise them to the whole world, especially to foreigners who may or may not have the best interests of this country in mind. But hey, I know now that it is trendy to call someone an MB supporter to insult them or make trouble for them. You can say whatever you want about me, just remember it doesn't make the receiving party an MB supporter.

But let me point out to you how many of the expats who were kissing the feet of the MB elected representatives just two years ago have now hidden the videos and posts of their pro-MB love fest and are now kissing up to the new leadership in Luxor instead and acting as if the MB were always the devil's spawn. They were espousing views that they thought would curry favor with those MB leaders and now are even espousing the opposite views just because that is what they think the governor wants to hear. What's worse, is it isn't even their country for them to be meddling in internal affairs anyway so I just don't get it at all. If you have principles you believe in, fine, but clearly they don't which makes their behavior all that more suspect.

There's nothing positive about people losing their livelihood (as was reported in this report about Luxor) or dying (as in I don't know who you are referring to exactly). You are a sick person to suggest that I would think otherwise.

Can't take a disagreement and just call it arguing? Mashi, if that is what you want, argue with yourself, this the last word I will have with you.
You are probably just a serial arguer on here..

Anyhow if you read my original comment, I am advocating that tourists return to Luxor now and help to end the misery for those locals who have suffered without a livelihood. But somehow you wish to twist that into another argument, or else you don't believe that tourists should return yet for your own perverse reasons..

As for Cairo, it may not be safe yet and as this is a Luxor website focus on Luxor, again you seem to twist and turn in your endless search for disagreement..
User avatar
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7233
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:17 pm
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
Has thanked: 202 times
Been thanked: 672 times
Gender:
France

Re: Encouraging Al Jazeera Report-Luxor

Post by BBLUX »

TAL777, I just wonder if you are aware of the difference between debate and argument?
Image

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
User avatar
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7525
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:48 pm
Has thanked: 919 times
Been thanked: 2820 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: Encouraging Al Jazeera Report-Luxor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Don't bother with him. He's from a neighboring country just here in this forum to stir up trouble.
User avatar
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Posts: 991
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:50 am
Location: Luxor, Egypt
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 546 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: Encouraging Al Jazeera Report-Luxor

Post by LivinginLuxor »

I think Glyph is right in that the majority of tourists come to see Egypt. And for most, that means sites like the Pyramids, Sphinx, and Cairo Museum. Luxor is a secondary destination - and I would doubt that many people on this forum had visited Luxor before Cairo, unless of course they were going on a cruise, or purely on a sun-seeker's holiday.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
User avatar
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7233
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:17 pm
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
Has thanked: 202 times
Been thanked: 672 times
Gender:
France

Re: Encouraging Al Jazeera Report-Luxor

Post by BBLUX »

I guess we are the exceptions then. Never been to Cairo...I know the air quality would probably kill us both. Have been to Alex and that was bad enough!
Love the Western Desert oases. Wonderful clean air and very quiet.
Image

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
TAL777
Member
Member
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:52 am
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 46 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: Encouraging Al Jazeera Report-Luxor

Post by TAL777 »

BBLUX wrote:I guess we are the exceptions then. Never been to Cairo...I know the air quality would probably kill us both. Have been to Alex and that was bad enough!
Love the Western Desert oases. Wonderful clean air and very quiet.
You're not the exception. I went to Luxor several times before Cairo because of the cheap package holidays to Luxor and cheaper flights, Luxor is enough of a draw and more tourist-friendly.

As you say, Cairo is heavily polluted and chaotic and is normally somewhere people want to visit on a whistle-stop tour of the Pyramids etc for a day or two, they dont want to linger there. Having said that, now whenever I visit Egypt I try to include a trip to Cairo as I like the contrast to Luxor and the chaos.. The train down is also a great experience...However trying to buy a train ticket to Luxor...now that is another story about struggle, failure or being lucky or not. Last year I ended up having to fly...
User avatar
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
Posts: 11896
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 3226 times
Been thanked: 4688 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: Encouraging Al Jazeera Report-Luxor

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Does being stuck inside Cairo airport the day count as visiting? :roll:
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 1990
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:57 pm
Location: Luxor
Has thanked: 1794 times
Been thanked: 1696 times
Egypt

Re: Encouraging Al Jazeera Report-Luxor

Post by Bombay »

LivinginLuxor wrote:I think Glyph is right in that the majority of tourists come to see Egypt. And for most, that means sites like the Pyramids, Sphinx, and Cairo Museum. Luxor is a secondary destination - and I would doubt that many people on this forum had visited Luxor before Cairo, unless of course they were going on a cruise, or purely on a sun-seeker's holiday.

The majority of travelers are coming to Luxor for "NILE CRUISE" which was possibly one of the first holidays ever sold on the planet.
The Nile Cruise has been popular for over a hundred years long before the beach resorts were thought of.
In the past they would have started in Cairo so the tourists would have seen the sights in Cairo first.
The thing that really put Egypt on the holiday map big time was the discovery of King Tut's Tomb this was a major international news item.
In later years the Nile Cruise attracts the majority of visitors to the Luxor area with many not going to Cairo at all unless followed by a week in a hotel.

I agree there are fewer direct flights to Luxor especially Far East and the Americas, although the Far East is getting better with the likes of Qatar and a few other Middle Eastern airlines flying to Luxor (the only international flights still flying into Luxor) so everyone will have to travel through Cairo.
User avatar
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7525
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:48 pm
Has thanked: 919 times
Been thanked: 2820 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: Encouraging Al Jazeera Report-Luxor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Actually the majority of tourists who come to Luxor under normal circumstances are day trippers from the Red Sea and don't even spend the night. That is why the average number of nights each tourist spent in Luxor was less than 1 before the revolution. But after that, you are right they do mostly come for the cruises, however, many of those who do the cruise also combine it with a trip to Cairo.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 1990
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:57 pm
Location: Luxor
Has thanked: 1794 times
Been thanked: 1696 times
Egypt

Re: Encouraging Al Jazeera Report-Luxor

Post by Bombay »

Actually the amount of visitors coming from the Red Sea staying in Luxor overnight is and was practically nil thats why they are called "overday".
If all the hotels in Luxor were full from one night stands the traffic between here and the Red Sea would have been far in excess of what it was.
Even a convoy of 100 coaches is only going to fill the likes of the Sonesta that leaves all the others empty?
Alistair1967
Member
Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:25 pm
Location: Staffordshire, England
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 119 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: Encouraging Al Jazeera Report-Luxor

Post by Alistair1967 »

LivinginLuxor wrote:I think Glyph is right in that the majority of tourists come to see Egypt. And for most, that means sites like the Pyramids, Sphinx, and Cairo Museum. Luxor is a secondary destination - and I would doubt that many people on this forum had visited Luxor before Cairo, unless of course they were going on a cruise, or purely on a sun-seeker's holiday.
When I first went to Egypt (a fortnight in Luxor) 13 years ago, most of the brochures featured mainly Cairo and Luxor/Nile Cruise. The newer resorts were barely heard of, but their reputation and allure grew very sharply over the next few years, to the point where Luxor has become a secondary destination to Sharm , Hurghada, et al, but not to Cairo, where most people linger no more than a few days. Even the sun seekers would make an effort to see some of the spectacular history in Luxor. In fact going back to the brochures, in those days they featured Luxor holidays with advertised side trips to Cairo - but not vice-versa. So the package tourist would, in the main, have visited Luxor first, but most certainly wanted to see the Pyramids too.

Independent travellers, well, who knows?.... 8)
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Trip report to Luxor
    by pdmlynek » » in Visiting Luxor
    26 Replies
    413 Views
    Last post by LovelyLadyLux
  • Al-Jazeera
    by TAL777 » » in Politics and Religion
    14 Replies
    743 Views
    Last post by carrie
  • Al Jazeera News TV (Live)
    by DJKeefy » » in Know Egypt
    6 Replies
    1399 Views
    Last post by TonyC
  • Al-Jazeera trio get seven years jail
    by HEPZIBAH » » in News and Sport
    10 Replies
    760 Views
    Last post by newcastle
  • Trip Report.
    by Scottishtourist » » in General Discussions and Rants
    39 Replies
    1443 Views
    Last post by HEPZIBAH