Minister of Tourism: "Future of Tourism in Egypt"

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

User avatar
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Posts: 10781
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 811 times
Been thanked: 1816 times
Gender:
Egypt

Minister of Tourism: "Future of Tourism in Egypt"

Post by DJKeefy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:06 pm

Minister of Tourism speaks to the guests at "Future of Tourism in Egypt" conference in Luxor Temple.

phpBB [video]


Source:


Image

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7042
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:49 am
Has thanked: 2030 times
Been thanked: 5942 times
Egypt

Re: Minister of Tourism: "Future of Tourism in Egypt"

Post by newcastle » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:46 pm

The "Future of Tourism in Egypt" may not have been enhanced this morning with the sight of a group of West Bank villagers involved in a fracas outside the Supreme Council offices...relating to the withdrawal of support for poor families (reported elsewhere). Apparently there were several arrests and cameras smashed. This follows a gathering of the villagers yesterday outside the offices wanting to know what the Governor was intending to do to about their plight.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7042
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:49 am
Has thanked: 2030 times
Been thanked: 5942 times
Egypt

Re: Minister of Tourism: "Future of Tourism in Egypt"

Post by newcastle » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:46 pm

The "Future of Tourism in Egypt" may not have been enhanced this morning with the sight of a group of West Bank villagers involved in a fracas outside the Supreme Council offices...relating to the withdrawal of support for poor families (reported elsewhere). Apparently there were several arrests and cameras smashed. This follows a gathering of the villagers yesterday outside the offices wanting to know what the Governor was intending to do to about their plight.

User avatar
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7525
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:48 pm
Has thanked: 919 times
Been thanked: 2820 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: Minister of Tourism: "Future of Tourism in Egypt"

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:28 pm

Reported elsewhere where?

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7042
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:49 am
Has thanked: 2030 times
Been thanked: 5942 times
Egypt

Re: Minister of Tourism: "Future of Tourism in Egypt"

Post by newcastle » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:57 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:Reported elsewhere where?

I was referring to the withdrawal of Little Stars charity from the West Bank...mentioned in another thread.

User avatar
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7105
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:17 pm
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
Has thanked: 129 times
Been thanked: 560 times
Gender:
France

Re: Minister of Tourism: "Future of Tourism in Egypt"

Post by BBLUX » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:37 pm

Not sure that Little Stars had much impact.
The local communities run a number of support systems for the needy here on the West Bank.
Image

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7042
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:49 am
Has thanked: 2030 times
Been thanked: 5942 times
Egypt

Re: Minister of Tourism: "Future of Tourism in Egypt"

Post by newcastle » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:01 pm

BBLUX wrote:Not sure that Little Stars had much impact.
The local communities run a number of support systems for the needy here on the West Bank.
The villagers of Haja Marise & Nage Birka appear to feel differently.....hence their trip to the Luxor Supreme Council offices yesterday & today.

User avatar
JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 9673
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:36 am
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 21 times
Gender:
Palestine

Re: Minister of Tourism: "Future of Tourism in Egypt"

Post by JOJO » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:56 pm

Strange that seeming as they announced they would be distributing food and carrying on for at least the next 3 months and then re-assessing the situation. Cannot see the locals demonstrating about one person involved in the charity being barred from their country and now being an enemy of the state.! Mmmm wonder if anyones actually witnessed these protest???? ...anyone???
Image

User avatar
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7525
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:48 pm
Has thanked: 919 times
Been thanked: 2820 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: Minister of Tourism: "Future of Tourism in Egypt"

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:35 pm

According to Little Stars itself, the charity itself has not been shut down by the authorities. Over 1100 charities were closed including ones that serve millions of Egyptians (not just a few dozen) as was mentioned in their missives, but not Little Stars. The court case closing all those other charities did not affect LS AT ALL. It was the decision of the charity itself to stop working in Egypt, rather than appoint a new chairperson who was able to actually enter the country. The way its announcements have been worded you would think this was all about Little Stars, but if you know what is going on in Egypt you will know that it is just intentional disingenuity and misleading and it was something that happened to the chairperson personally and not the charity.

User avatar
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7525
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:48 pm
Has thanked: 919 times
Been thanked: 2820 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: Minister of Tourism: "Future of Tourism in Egypt"

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:39 pm

JOJO wrote:Strange that seeming as they announced they would be distributing food and carrying on for at least the next 3 months and then re-assessing the situation. Cannot see the locals demonstrating about one person involved in the charity being barred from their country and now being an enemy of the state.! Mmmm wonder if anyones actually witnessed these protest???? ...anyone???
No media coverage, in the Arabic press and the chairperson doesn't seem to be well enough connected to get herself any media coverage in the British press. And the way things are these days here if you don't know how to get media coverage when you need it, you might as well not exist.

User avatar
Lisak
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 12:51 pm
Location: Coventry, England
Has thanked: 374 times
Been thanked: 233 times
Gender:
Palestine

Re: Minister of Tourism: "Future of Tourism in Egypt"

Post by Lisak » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:58 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:According to Little Stars itself, the charity itself has not been shut down by the authorities. Over 1100 charities were closed including ones that serve millions of Egyptians (not just a few dozen) as was mentioned in their missives, but not Little Stars. The court case closing all those other charities did not affect LS AT ALL. It was the decision of the charity itself to stop working in Egypt, rather than appoint a new chairperson who was able to actually enter the country. The way its announcements have been worded you would think this was all about Little Stars, but if you know what is going on in Egypt you will know that it is just intentional disingenuity and misleading and it was something that happened to the chairperson personally and not the charity.
So maybe my question (on another thread) isn't such a stupid one after all then? :urm:
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

User avatar
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P
Posts: 1258
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:23 pm
Has thanked: 806 times
Been thanked: 731 times
Gender:
Australia

Re: Minister of Tourism: "Future of Tourism in Egypt"

Post by Hafiz » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:20 am

Minister of Tourism's speech is content free. He is going to listen to a few people but doesn't seem to have a strategy or priorities. There are no dates, even on his listening tour, no date for a comprehensive plan, not even a mention of the security situation, nothing about any lessons learnt, nothing about relief to the worst affected areas, nothing about training. Nothing concrete in his speech at all.

You don't expect a speech at the beginning of a consultation to have many answers but you do expect a couple of hard questions to focus the mind.

Maybe the Minister's response will be the standard one - more money in the marketing budget with no attention to emerging countries and most overseas offices staying in salubrious Western cities.

Wonder what happened to the expensive marketing campaign to get Egyptians to holiday in Egypt. Has anyone noticed a pick-up of Egyptian tourists?

Sdo
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 8:50 am
Location: Luxor
Has thanked: 174 times
Been thanked: 56 times
Egypt

Re: Minister of Tourism: "Future of Tourism in Egypt"

Post by Sdo » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:42 pm

Hafiz wrote:Minister of Tourism's speech is content free. He is going to listen to a few people but doesn't seem to have a strategy or priorities. There are no dates, even on his listening tour, no date for a comprehensive plan, not even a mention of the security situation, nothing about any lessons learnt, nothing about relief to the worst affected areas, nothing about training. Nothing concrete in his speech at all.

You don't expect a speech at the beginning of a consultation to have many answers but you do expect a couple of hard questions to focus the mind.

Maybe the Minister's response will be the standard one - more money in the marketing budget with no attention to emerging countries and most overseas offices staying in salubrious Western cities.

Wonder what happened to the expensive marketing campaign to get Egyptians to holiday in Egypt. Has anyone noticed a pick-up of Egyptian tourists?
Yes... more Egyptians than Russians or other nationalities in Hurghada at New Year and have noticed more in Luxor hotels in recent weeks.

User avatar
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2165
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:04 pm
Location: Scotland
Has thanked: 901 times
Been thanked: 1322 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: Minister of Tourism: "Future of Tourism in Egypt"

Post by Scottishtourist » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:56 pm

I had call last night from Egyptian friend (the waiter on the cruise boats)
Says he's had work for past 2/3 weeks on the ship.
100 German tourists one week and approx 200 the next.

He's waiting now to see if he will have work in next week or so,and has been told it will maybe be Egyptian guests.Says it's some kind of national holiday time there.

Maybe the marketing campaign targetting Egyptian holidaymakers is up and running.

User avatar
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7525
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:48 pm
Has thanked: 919 times
Been thanked: 2820 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: Minister of Tourism: "Future of Tourism in Egypt"

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:17 pm

Because it's the school midterm holiday.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 1990
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:57 pm
Location: Luxor
Has thanked: 1794 times
Been thanked: 1696 times
Egypt

Re: Minister of Tourism: "Future of Tourism in Egypt"

Post by Bombay » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:13 pm

So yes they are going on holiday, there are cheap flights and hotels for them apparently.

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • New Minister For Tourism
    by Bombay » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:56 pm » in Know Egypt
    7 Replies
    435 Views
    Last post by Bombay
    Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:10 pm
  • New Woman Minister of Tourism
    by newcastle » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:25 pm » in Know Egypt
    12 Replies
    283 Views
    Last post by newcastle
    Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:18 pm
  • Message from the Minister of Tourism
    by Helsx » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:31 am » in Visiting Luxor
    8 Replies
    227 Views
    Last post by Darkstar
    Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:31 am
  • Tourism minister comments on prospects
    by newcastle » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:21 am » in Know Egypt
    2 Replies
    397 Views
    Last post by Brian Yare
    Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:38 am
  • Minister of Tourism Hisham Zaazou Finishes
    by Bombay » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:01 pm » in Visiting Luxor
    1 Replies
    102 Views
    Last post by Bombay
    Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:58 pm