Holiday in Luxor!

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kaiserbernese

Holiday in Luxor!

Post by Kaiserbernese » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:58 pm

I was glad to see an article today in the Mail on Sunday holiday supplement about Luxor. The writer stayed at the Nile Palace and visited the usual sites and heaped praise on Luxor as a destination.

However, they said that accommodation tends to be 'all inclusive'. I thought only the Iberotel did that?

They also said that the hassle has been 'considerably clamped down on', that they just used a taxi driver for all of their tours and that Luxor is 'easily done in a week!

Also, Discover Egypt are advertising Nile Cruises for winter 2014/2015, so at least there are now active attempts to get people back.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: Holiday in Luxor!

Post by Bombay » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:06 pm

First Choice which is All Inc product only is selling the Winter Palace Pavilion and Ibrotel as AI from March.

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:53 pm

Crikey! I would never have believed the WP would do AI!!!

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:33 pm

the Winter Palace Pavilion

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:22 am

All inclusive is very popular though especially with families, I don't know, but think there will be a lot of Hotels follow this route, to both capture clients and the rewards it can bring. Bringing families to Luxor is a bit of diversity, provided the Hotels cater for the younger members.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:11 am

Some may remember, a certain character l wrote about on here almost a year ago, who was staying at Sonesta St George, who informed me that although he stayed there for two weeks, he never even bought a bottle of water there. At the end of his holiday there, he was informed that in future, if he returned to that hotel, he would find a huge difference in price.

I agree that this is the same throughout the major tourist industry, however I have discovered, while travelling in Britain recently, there are a number of independent tourists companies that seem to be offering quite good deals that are not Al.

Having said this B&B availability in the major hotels in Luxor have had there day, though l believe the smaller hotels may still open their doors to such clients in the short term, though one should remember, that you will be sharing the hotel with Egyptian families, who, as a number of us know, believe in the really 'old fashion family' holidays.

Kim

Post by Kim » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:14 am

Olympic holidays are advertising Luxor from 1st November 7 hotels in Luxor and 1 in Aswan all of them are B&B plus 2 have A/I available BUT I cant find flight details for Luxor only Sharm
I have got my specs on but the print is pretty small :tk

the brochure is nov 13 - april 14

FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:15 pm

Apart from those already mentioned, the only other hotels I'm aware of in Luxor which offer AI are the Pyramisa Isis and Karnak Resort (the former Sofitel).

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:33 pm

FarleyFlavors wrote:Apart from those already mentioned, the only other hotels I'm aware of in Luxor which offer AI are the Pyramisa Isis and Karnak Resort (the former Sofitel).
They were but no one is selling these hotels at the moment afaik.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:34 pm

Kim wrote:Olympic holidays are advertising Luxor from 1st November 7 hotels in Luxor and 1 in Aswan all of them are B&B plus 2 have A/I available BUT I cant find flight details for Luxor only Sharm
I have got my specs on but the print is pretty small :tk

the brochure is nov 13 - april 14
I think they use easyJet maybe they are waiting for them to return.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:42 pm

It may be the only way they can get tourists to come. People are probably afraid to be wandering around town looking for a meal with the current situation in the country. And the hotels probably can't really afford to just be hosting a few people in half a dozen rooms or something. Serving meals at least brings in a little more revenue to keep them going. Not really good for all the other businesses in town but it's something.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:58 pm

Most hotels don't like it as they make more from those eating and drinking and paying the hotel direct. AI they pay the tour operator first. I have been told by lots of guests (when there was such a thing) do not like AI, in Luxor anyway as they cannot get served easy if they are AI plus it finished at 10pm and did not include some restaurants or the disco.

AI is mostly popular with families as the bills for soft drinks and snack build up quite quickly on B&B so more geared to sun & sea destinations Luxor has never been popular with younger families partly due to younger children not allowed on Nile Cruises with many companies.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:36 pm

Who on earth would want that and miss out on your establishments Bombay!?

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:18 pm

Zooropa wrote:Who on earth would want that and miss out on your establishments Bombay!?
Nobody with half a brain and gormless palatte :eat :wi :br :lol:

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:23 pm

Yeah, active "attempts" to get people back:

FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:53 am

Bombay wrote:
FarleyFlavors wrote:Apart from those already mentioned, the only other hotels I'm aware of in Luxor which offer AI are the Pyramisa Isis and Karnak Resort (the former Sofitel).
They were but no one is selling these hotels at the moment afaik.
I'm not sure what you mean as they're easy to find online.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:24 am

Going up "Little England" Street and feeling threatened for the first time in Luxor. sorry but that and what we experienced i do not think at the moment I would advise Tourists to come to Luxor. there is some sort of Education Establishment there, I don't know what it does but the students are totally out of control, there was litter enough to fill a skip, people all over the road, who would not even move when you tooted them politely, traffic going in all directions down a one way street even though the Police were up and down regular, again in both directions. The noise pollution from the motorbikes is just too much, the shouting, enough to put any tourists from using the establishments down there. Absolutely crazy! this sort of thing must happen in other parts of Luxor too!! But seeing this street is a main one used by tourists, has a 1st timer it would put me straight off.. Someone somewhere needs to get a grip on this type of situation. its the first time I have experienced this, and because I kept tooting politely for people to move all I got back was Deklabook, so I ignored it and just thought, its nothing to do with me, but its you that is cutting your own throats thinking tourists will put up with that....

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:04 pm

Chocolate Eclair wrote:Going up "Little England" Street and feeling threatened for the first time in Luxor.
Which street do you call "Little England" Street and why did you feel threatened?
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:22 pm

We found "Little England" street as it's referred to in 2010 for the first time since travelling to Luxor since the very early 90s.

Wasn't that impressed and ended up in Puddleducks only because we were with other friends who had a bigger penchant than us for English style food. We'd all been living in Cyprus for over 5 years at this point so yes, perhaps there was a slight beckoning... although, we would have preferred to have given the Indian a try instead.

Hepzibah, it's by the side of the St Joseph Hotel if I recall correctly. I know it's somewhere we won't be going again if it's just me and my other half travelling. Give me Sofra anyday!
Michele,
Previously living in Limassol, Cyprus but now back in UK since 2016 :-(
Egypt is now so far away....

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:27 pm

Cyprus100 wrote:We found "Little England" street as it's referred to in 2010 for the first time since travelling to Luxor since the very early 90s.

Wasn't that impressed and ended up in Puddleducks only because we were with other friends who had a bigger penchant than us for English style food. We'd all been living in Cyprus for over 5 years at this point so yes, perhaps there was a slight beckoning... although, we would have preferred to have given the Indian a try instead.

Hepzibah, it's by the side of the St Joseph Hotel if I recall correctly. I know it's somewhere we won't be going again if it's just me and my other half travelling. Give me Sofra anyday!
I'm curious because I tend to think of that general area as 'Little Britain' - I don't think I've heard reference to 'Little England' street before - so I'm wondering if this is somewhere different or is in fact the same area, and if so if the actual street is the one often referred to as St. Jo's/Joseph street (because the St. Joseph hotel is on the corner) or if it is maybe a street close by. It's not an area I normally frequent but I did stay in that part of town on my last visit for a change.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley