Holiday in Luxor!

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Holiday in Luxor!

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:39 pm

I am talking about the one that has a lot of English owned business's along it, including the Luxor Estate Agency, "D's Bistro, the Lantern etc not the large road with The English Shop on it.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:53 pm

I think I know where you mean now - possibly the next or next but one south of 'St. Joseph' street.
No idea where you mean about the one with 'The English Shop' in it. What 'English Shop' ?

But going back to the traffic flow. Surely the two way traffic there, if it was a one way street, is due to the road at the end where the Police/Security Offices are being closed and manned by armed personnel.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:24 pm

Chocolate Eclair wrote:Going up "Little England" Street ... But seeing this street is a main one used by tourists.
The main streets used by tourists are the ones linking the riverside hotels with Luxor Temple, Mummification Museum, Luxor Museum and Karnak Temple. In order to get to Luxor Temple they will have to pass Sindbads, Hamees, McDs, etc, but these are on the wrong side of the road.

My guess is that 90% + of tourists do not venture to the SE of these areas, and don't go on foot. They are not likely to see anything off the 'main drag'.

On the WB things are not that much better, with most people not venturing west of say Blue Sky/Gezira Gardens, East of the ferry port and off the main road to the major sites.

Sad, but a fact of life.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:22 pm

FarleyFlavors wrote:
Bombay wrote:
FarleyFlavors wrote:Apart from those already mentioned, the only other hotels I'm aware of in Luxor which offer AI are the Pyramisa Isis and Karnak Resort (the former Sofitel).
They were but no one is selling these hotels at the moment afaik.
I'm not sure what you mean as they're easy to find online.
How about some links? No package tour operator are selling them.
Thomson the only UK package tour operator to Luxor are selling Sheraton, Nile Palace plus a cruise, First Choice as I said are selling WP Pavilion and Iberotel as all inc.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:33 pm

Brian Yare wrote:
Chocolate Eclair wrote:Going up "Little England" Street ... But seeing this street is a main one used by tourists.
The main streets used by tourists are the ones linking the riverside hotels with Luxor Temple, Mummification Museum, Luxor Museum and Karnak Temple. In order to get to Luxor Temple they will have to pass Sindbads, Hamees, McDs, etc, but these are on the wrong side of the road.

My guess is that 90% + of tourists do not venture to the SE of these areas, and don't go on foot. They are not likely to see anything off the 'main drag'.

On the WB things are not that much better, with most people not venturing west of say Blue Sky/Gezira Gardens, East of the ferry port and off the main road to the major sites.

Sad, but a fact of life.
But a wrong fact otherwise all these places would not be there :wi

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:40 pm

Even though we have a HUGE Union Flag on St Joseph St "Little Britain" has always been the Street next to the Kings Head Pub with Joans, Deans, Lantern, Secret Garden and Snobs on it plus Jewel of The Nile further down all more or less English Fare.
St Joseph Street had, Tutti Fruitti, Oasis/ The King & Thai, A Taste Of Indian, Pizza Roma, The Fortune Cookie, Regal Lounge and Puddleduck.
Last edited by Bombay on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:55 pm

Bombay wrote:Even though we have a HUGE Union Flag on St Joseph St "Little Britain" has always been the Street next to the Kings Head Pub with Joans, Deans, Lantern, Secret Garden and Snobs on it all more or less English Fare.
St Joseph Street had, Tutti Fruitti, Oasis/ The King & Thai, A Taste Of Indian, Pizza Roma, The Fortune Cookie, Regal Lounge and Puddleduck.
Thank you for clarifying that for me Bombay.

I feel much better knowing that when I have strayed down to the southern end of town I've spent more of my time in the International area than in Little Britain. ;) :lol:
-Aldous Huxley

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:10 pm

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Bombay wrote:Even though we have a HUGE Union Flag on St Joseph St "Little Britain" has always been the Street next to the Kings Head Pub with Joans, Deans, Lantern, Secret Garden and Snobs on it all more or less English Fare.
Thank you for clarifying that for me Bombay.

I feel much better knowing that when I have strayed down to the southern end of town I've spent more of my time in the International area than in Little Britain. ;) :lol:
Or Little Asia as I once liked to call it :br

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:17 pm

If you fancy a stroll down any side street in Blackpool, then go down 'little Britain street.' Commercial conformity stereotyped in every seaside area of Britain. A sad, soulless traffic gridlocked street.
Brian Yare wrote:

Sad, but a fact of life.
If you want to see a hint of the real Egypt while your in Egypt, then wander of 'the main drag,' as this is where the true life and soul of Luxor lays. That's the problem with a lot of tourists, they are just content to follow the well beaten tourist sheep runs, go home and say there wasn't much to see.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:56 am

BY are you talking of Muggers Alley on the West Bank? It got named this by a few Tourist's who have had their purses stolen, wallets stolen and handbags stolen while strolling along quietly down to Gezera/Ramla. I personally use this so called road a few times in a month and have found nothing but then again I am on motorbike

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:02 am

H sorry I missed what you asked me, I felt threatened by the gangs of young people who were not prepared to move for traffic and when they had to, they shouted verbal insults. I still do not know why they gather around this one little area, shouting and blocking the road, throwing their litter all over, and staring out people and shouting at people who say anything. Never seen it before, but someone needs to keep the street clear especially now the people have taken it over and declared it to be a two way traffic system, if not there may well be a more serious incident on the road where someone gets injured by either a car or motorbike.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:24 am

Dusak wrote:
If you want to see a hint of the real Egypt while your in Egypt, then wander of 'the main drag,' as this is where the true life and soul of Luxor lays. That's the problem with a lot of tourists, they are just content to follow the well beaten tourist sheep runs, go home and say there wasn't much to see.
All of Egypt is real; it's just different from place to place. I've noticed often that those who talk about the "real" Egypt tend to live in an Egypt of their own imagination that could be called rather atypical, but nevertheless it is still real and they usually call it more real than other places mainly as a marketing ploy. Not everyone travels for reality, some travel to escape from their day-to-day reality for something more luxurious, or something more simple, but tourists shouldn't be criticized for that. It's their choice to make.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:47 am

Now I know which street that Chocolate Eclair is referring to I am slightly baffled. During my recent visit to Luxor - over Christmas and New Year - I was in that street quite a few times myself and at different times of the day and evening. I was amazed at how quiet it was down there, the occasional passing vehicle and a few people walking along going about (what I assume was) their normal business. The cafes along there, if open, looked empty - a sad sign of the times - and even the Egyptian Cafe the name of which I forget (something al leila I think) was not as busy as I have seen it in the past and at 2-30pm in an afternoon was virtually deserted. I certainly didn't witness gangs of youths.

The only place I witnessed large groups of young people were those using the Football pitch and the amusement park area at the top of St. Joseph's street. These all seemed to be in fine humour - both male and female - and certainly not disturbing others.

Of course, these are just my observations over a limited period and times but they are so different to that written that I thought I would share them.
-Aldous Huxley

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:19 am

As you walk down the street in question there is a college, on the right, just before Secret Garden. The students congregate in the street - just like students everywhere in the world, before and between lessons. Yes they're rowdy, yes they probably do ignore the traffic - they're students, it goes with the territory doesn't it?

They had just finished their exams a few days ago, and I guess this was the day CE was there. I walked through them that day with no problem at all, they were a bit hyper but good natured, and not in the least threatening to me, a single European woman. Lots of smiles, in fact.

FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:38 pm

Bombay wrote:How about some links?
Too busy to type "luxor all inclusive hotel" into google? :)

http://www.lowcostholidays.com
http://www.travelsupermarket.com
http://www.travelrepublic.co.uk
http://www.sunshine.co.uk

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:03 pm

Apologies I stand partly corrected Travel Republic seem to have the best price however they are selling the Thomson flight and you can add the hotel of your choice they are also selling Thomson packages as well . I assume the others are doing the same.
Thomson had previously told me they were not selling seats to other companies but I guess we all have to cut our cloth these days.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:44 pm

I just had a note from easyJet that they currently have no plans to reinstate the Luxor flights. They are currently working on next winters schedule (onwards from 26th Oct to Feb 2015. :(

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:31 pm

Dusak wrote: If you want to see a hint of the real Egypt while your in Egypt, then wander of 'the main drag,' as this is where the true life and soul of Luxor lays. That's the problem with a lot of tourists, they are just content to follow the well beaten tourist sheep runs, go home and say there wasn't much to see.
I agree, but how do we inform the vast majority of what tourists there are that do not step outside their hotel/boat except in organised expensive tours.

In 2006 I stayed at Egotel, and didn't even visit Sindbads, although I ate away from the hotel on several occasions.