family holidays

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

frances

family holidays

Post by frances »

Hi everyone

Hope you are well. It's been 5 years since our last holiday to Egypt and we are seriously considering trip number 4 to luxor for next year and bringing our 8 year old son with us. Anyone got any experience of the Jolie ville? Previously we have stayed at the old winter palace, New winter palace and the nile palace but they didn't really seem family friendly!

Excited at the thought of coming back home :)

Who2
    Egyptian Pharaoh
    Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: family holidays

Post by Who2 »

I would think the jolie ville a very good choice for children they have a bridge so they cannot escape, great ice creams & pools and if bored with them feed them to the crocodile Cyril... :cool:
    "The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
    Sophocles.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

What ever the sofitel karnak is now called, its also very child friendly
    Stand up to be seen
    Speak up to be heard
    Shut up to be appreciated

Who2
    Egyptian Pharaoh
    Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

Sofitel Karnak ? I doubt if anyone could find it let alone find another child for any child to play with... :cool:
    "The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
    Sophocles.

Chocolate Eclair
    Royal V.I.P
    Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Myself and wife stayed at the Jolie Ville 3 times every year for 18 years, there are 3 pools 2 large ones and a small adults only pool for those who want peace and quiet. One of the large ones has a children's water adventure part with water slides, water cannons and a great water cave exploration feature. The staff are excellent with children and go out of their way to entertain them, there is a kiddies centre at the infinity pool also. At night they are welcome in the Ascot Bar. The Guest Relations Manager who I know personally, Hussain will ensure you are up to date on the activities that go on at the hotel everyday. A good place for children, there is also life guards at all the pools.

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

We stayed numerous times at the Jolie having a 7 - 8 yr old at the time, kids pools, club, various animals, Ice cream parlour lol.. the list goes on. (Sofitel does not compare for the entertainment value for the children or the buffet breakfast). However, also stayed when both of these hotels were empty :( A sad reflection of the good old days.

The Jolie's pools are far superior not just for the children but adults as well.

Both require taxi's into to Luxor.

ps Karnak has one 9 yr old girl who would love to play with anyone lol....

pps the crocodile died years ago, or escaped :o
    It is what it is.

newcastle
    Egyptian God
    Egyptian God
    Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:Myself and wife stayed at the Jolie Ville 3 times every year for 18 years, there are 3 pools 2 large ones and a small adults only pool for those who want peace and quiet. One of the large ones has a children's water adventure part with water slides, water cannons and a great water cave exploration feature. The staff are excellent with children and go out of their way to entertain them, there is a kiddies centre at the infinity pool also. At night they are welcome in the Ascot Bar. The Guest Relations Manager who I know personally, Hussain will ensure you are up to date on the activities that go on at the hotel everyday. A good place for children, there is also life guards at all the pools.
    Wasn't it at the Jolie Ville that a kid drowned in the "guarded" pool last year? Just saying.

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

Yes it was, I heard that there were no the life guards just 2 families by the pool. Saying that I stick mine in a swimming jacket due to her lack of proficiency, and would never trust another to watch her as well I would.

Saying also that the child drowned in the adult area.
    It is what it is.

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

Welcome back Frances..good to see you back.
    Can't offer any advice on where to stay but hope to see you around here more. :D
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Chocolate Eclair
    Royal V.I.P
    Royal V.I.P

No! people are wrong, when the drowning happened, there was a notice that the lifeguard was not in attendance, so children of that age should not have been in the pool area without adult supervision at all. Parents have a responsibility to their children, and should be with them when a pool is unattended and not having a kip in their room. This child was not European but Egyptian, not saying that makes a difference but we that live here know that the children have a far greater freedom than European children, be it around a pool or playing near the River Bank alone or even in the middle of busy roads.

newcastle
    Egyptian God
    Egyptian God
    Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:No! people are wrong, when the drowning happened, there was a notice that the lifeguard was not in attendance, so children of that age should not have been in the pool area without adult supervision at all. Parents have a responsibility to their children, and should be with them when a pool is unattended and not having a kip in their room. This child was not European but Egyptian, not saying that makes a difference but we that live here know that the children have a far greater freedom than European children, be it around a pool or playing near the River Bank alone or even in the middle of busy roads.
    CE is right....and it behoves parents of children holidaying Egypt to take extra care as the local attitude to "health & safety" is seldom up to UK standards. I'd be more concerned as to whether my 8 year old would actually ENJOY a holiday in Luxor....not many other (European) kids to engage with at the present time! Wouldn't the Red Sea, where most hotels have waterparks and intensive kids programmes & "active" animation teams, be a better bet....perhaps with a visit to Luxor for a day or two?

HEPZIBAH
    Luxor4u God
    Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I can't help but wonder why it is so often assumed that children have to be kept amused 24/7 and that all holidays have to centre around their wants and needs as a priority. Not all families are alike. I can certainly think of many families I have known over the years that would be horrified to be in a Butlins by any other name, in another country.

It's surprising how often I have read how a families holiday to Egypt came about because it was the children who had expressed an interest in all things Egyptian, having reached that stage at school and got caught up in it all.

The same but different ...
    Last summer I visited a National Trust property. Many groan at the thought of taking young children to one with cries (from the adults ) of 'But the kids will be bored. It's all old stuff and they won't be able to run around...' blah, blah. While I was there I going around the building at more or less the same pace as a couple of ladies and three young - probably 4-7 yrs old - children. Both of the women communicated well with the children but one in particular would get down to their level and point things out and discuss it with them. I found I was starting to look at things that they were talking about and although I've visited the NT house before I saw things I'd not noticed before. Later in the afternoon I caught up with them all again outside enjoying an ice cream so I sat and chatted. The children told me they had had a great time and hoped they could go back one day. They were all looking forward to going for a walk in the park land bit but one wanted to go back into the house because something she'd seen (I can't remember what now) was so beautiful and she wanted to see it again. These were not precocious children, just children who's parents were giving an opportunity for balance and creativity.

So, a family holiday in Luxor? When paced accordingly and everyone's interests are met proportionately - sounds like a reasonable idea to me.
    Image Experience is not what happens to you;
    it is what you do with what happens to you.
    -Aldous Huxley

frances

Post by frances »

Thanks for all your advice and tips. Our son Joshua has autism and learning difficulties. He would find being on a caravan holiday such as butlins or haven a real difficulty. Luxor is an adventure to a 8 year old that loves scooby doo never mind an adventure for his mummy and daddy lol. We arent the type of family who sits on our backsides and do nothing for a week.

newcastle
    Egyptian God
    Egyptian God
    Egypt

Post by newcastle »

You know your child best Frances. Just bear in mind that the Luxor of today is not the Luxor of 5 years ago !

Chocolate Eclair
    Royal V.I.P
    Royal V.I.P

Unfortunately I would really not consider Luxor to be a family holiday, outside of the Hotels their is nothing for young people to do. when me and my wife were tourists we see many teenagers looking like they were bored stiff in the evening. So it is important to find a good hotel with children's facilities.

HEPZIBAH
    Luxor4u God
    Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

There is a big difference between an 8 year old child and teenagers!
    Image Experience is not what happens to you;
    it is what you do with what happens to you.
    -Aldous Huxley

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

I came with both, they thoroughly enjoyed Luxor, there are bars in town and Karnak, that play a variety of music. That is not what they remembered, more the light show at Karnak, night ride through the Egyptian market on a caleishe, Arabia Coffee Shop, and of course sunset over the Valley. To name a few.
    It is what it is.

carrie
    Egyptian Pharaoh
    Egyptian Pharaoh
    United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Where ever you decide to stay Francis I hope you and your family have a wonderful time.

Brian Yare
    Royal V.I.P
    Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

On the WB, donkey (or camel or horse) rides are good at that age, a good driver would even take you by donkey over the mountains. Bicycles may also be an option.

Chocolate Eclair
    Royal V.I.P
    Royal V.I.P

Great places for dancing the night away which most teenagers like to do, I am not too sure where but suppose there must be some somewhere.Me and my wife used to love exploring during the day, having our dinner and then off to the nightclubs to dance the evening away, we always had a good time and wore a smile. it was much better than sat reading, or frozen to a hotel bar stool. We still love our dancing and can often be found on our sunroof at night with our system blaring out.