Trip report

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kaiserbernese

Trip report

Post by Kaiserbernese »

I've been back home about ten days now, so I thought I ought to let you know what happened.

Firstly, the flight. This was Manchester to Cairo, then a separate flight down to Luxor. Check in was easy and we were given extra legroom seats at no extra charge. We couldn't check our luggage all the way through to Luxor because of the way I booked the connecting flight for half price. This wasn't a problem, as we just claimed our bags, which unbelievably came off first, then checked in again. This worked out fine and I wouldn't hesitate to do this again as overall it saved us £225 between us.

On arriving at Luxor airport again our luggage was off quickly and the driver was waiting to take us to the hotel, the El Mesala on the WB. This was my third stay and I wasn't disappointed. It really is a lovely hotel with amazing staff who looked after me very well whilst I was ill, a re-occurrence of the pleurisy that I had earlier this year.

Rather than detail all we did, anyone interested can look at the blog I kept for my friends. It's:

indianarowz.blogspot.com

We stayed for three full days in Luxor and then down to Aswan for two days via a private visit to Hierakonpolis. We stayed at the Bet El Kerem Nubian guest house on the WB, which was quirky but interesting. We returned to Luxor down the Western Desert Road, intending to stop at Gebel el Silsila. However, we were stopped at a checkpoint and were initially told we couldn't go any further. Money changed hands, passports were shown then I was asked if I had anything in writing in Arabic. Fortunately I did! A letter from the EES asking for me to be afforded any assistance - and, to my amazement, it got us through, but only to the next checkpoint where more money changed hands!

We stayed in Luxor for a further five days, moving up to Cairo for the final three days, staying at the lovely Hotel Longchamps in Zamalek.

Despite GD's comments I didn't get ripped off, quite the contrary. I found it very sad visiting the souk in Luxor, as the spirit seemed to have gone from many of the vendors. I hadn't the heart to haggle too much and I tried to spread my money around as best I could. I didn't use the same taxi driver and even used the motorboats a couple of times instead of the ferry.

Despite being unwell I had a wonderful time and saw lots of new and different things. However, I think my next trip will be a solo one again, as I really enjoy the freedom to make my own plans. With a bit of luck I'll be able to fly direct with Thomson, despite enjoying my Egyptair experience.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Trip report

Post by A-Four »

Thanks for your write up Kaiserbernese.

There is only one thing that l have a problem with, and that is the check-points, and why you thought it necessary to hand over money. Egypt is certainly not Nigeria, where every five miles you are stopped by police and held waiting until you hand over money. I am a little curious as to how much each of these stops cost you.

Last week I travelled along this very same road from north of Nag Hammadi to the Luxor (WB) slip road, I came into contact with not one checkpoint until the one just out side Luxor WB, where the highly armed officials took one look at me, then immediately waved my driver through, and I'm sure I don't look intimidating at all.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote:Thanks for your write up Kaiserbernese.

There is only one thing that l have a problem with, and that is the check-points, and why you thought it necessary to hand over money. Egypt is certainly not Nigeria, where every five miles you are stopped by police and held waiting until you hand over money. I am a little curious as to how much each of these stops cost you.

Last week I travelled along this very same road from north of Nag Hammadi to the Luxor (WB) slip road, I came into contact with not one checkpoint until the one just out side Luxor WB, where the highly armed officials took one look at me, then immediately waved my driver through, and I'm sure I don't look intimidating at all.
Maybe not Nigeria....but these "shakedowns" still occur. It happened to me a couple of years ago on the old road from Gurna to Qena. 50 pounds demanded for the return of my car documents & passport when I was stopped at a police checkpoint. I was with 2 American friends. I refused to pay and, after a slight delay. we continued on our way, the documents having been reluctantly given back. My friends said it reminded them of Mexico.
Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese »

I didn't pay anything, it was the driver and he didn't tell me how much he gave them. I only saw the policeman at the second check point put his hand inside the car for money but couldn't see how much he got. It was the driver who told us they wanted to see our passports and also if I had anything in Arabic.

In our view, the police were very intimidating and my companions were very concerned, but the letter seemed to work, thank goodness!