Cutting a cruise deal locally.

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Cutting a cruise deal locally.

Post by Zooropa » Sat May 31, 2014 1:38 pm

I pay more for my trips than perhaps I need to because I like to cruise most times when im in Egypt.

Booking a cruise outside of a package isn't that easy, ive tried to book direct with the boat company and have been told that they do not accept bookings direct as part of their agreement with the UK based tour company, but ive also been told by people that if I were to turn up in person then they would accept a booking because the agreement covers people trying to book direct from the UK and if you are already in Egypt then its different.

Booking direct once there does present problems.

How would you co ordinate this with your hotel booking?

If you booked a couple of nights in a hotel and then failed to secure a boat or the one you booked wasn't leaving for several days you would then have the problem of trying to get a good deal at the hotel to extend your stay.

What if you booked a week in a hotel and then secured a boat that was leaving in a few days - you've lost money on the hotel booking.

Yet I still hear of people turning up on spec and getting a good deal - how do they juggle this with hotel bookings?

I have in the past got quotes from a local company when trying to put together a do it yourself package (booking from home) but have never got good prices.

Any thoughts/experiences anyone?

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Cutting a cruise deal locally.

Post by carrie » Sat May 31, 2014 1:45 pm

Don't want to be seen as blatently advertising again but Petra Travel are worth contacting.

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese » Sat May 31, 2014 7:48 pm

I've done this twice and I'm intending to do it again next February. I book the hotel for my entire stay then I go to Petra Travel and get them to organise a cruise down to Aswan, with them bringing me back. As the cruise is only 2/3 nights, I take the hit on the hotel. This is because I don't think it would be fair to the hotel I stay at to let them down when things are so dire.

Anyway, as I always get an excellent deal on the cruise, I feel I'm still doing okay on my budget.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sat May 31, 2014 8:32 pm

Kaiserbernese wrote:I've done this twice and I'm intending to do it again next February. I book the hotel for my entire stay then I go to Petra Travel and get them to organise a cruise down to Aswan, with them bringing me back. As the cruise is only 2/3 nights, I take the hit on the hotel. This is because I don't think it would be fair to the hotel I stay at to let them down when things are so dire.

Anyway, as I always get an excellent deal on the cruise, I feel I'm still doing okay on my budget.
Sounds like a reasonable plan - but im a buyer by trade and taking a hit on the hotel goes against my grain!

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Sat May 31, 2014 9:14 pm

While hotels are so empty I would expect them to be a bit flexible over which nights you wish to stay.

Just tell them, when making your booking, that you may take a few nights elsewhere and that you expect an appropriate reduction. They will probably look after any spare luggage for you as well.

I have done this both pre- and post-revolution, at two different WB hotels.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sat May 31, 2014 10:21 pm

Thanks Brian.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Sat May 31, 2014 10:47 pm

Why not book a return cruise saves on hotel nights needed.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sat May 31, 2014 10:50 pm

Hi Ras,
Yes, id never do anything other than there and back again/

Although I quite like the idea of staying in Aswan for a while.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:45 am

Zooropa wrote:Hi Ras,
Yes, id never do anything other than there and back again/

A few of us are taking a four night cruse from Luxor to Aswan, fully inclusive including all drinks plus trips for 2,000Le for the end of July. This is from the German cruse company here in Luxor. As stated, this country is, at the moment, your oyster where bargains are concerned. :up We have even received a lower cost than this one from another company. :up :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:00 am

Zooropa wrote:
If you are going to stay in Asswan Zooropa, you should stay at the Isis Hotel on the river side of the Cornische (NOT ISIS ISLAND), nice place, pool, bungalows, and fantastic views, it's also very easy to get taxis to the various sites you will want to see. You can book this through the Isis in Luxor, or through the usual internet.

As for cruise boats, it's more difficult these days to book direct on the boat, in most case you have to do this via their Cairo office, or through an agent in Luxor. You need a cabin in the the middle of the boat, so that you don't hear the noise coming from the bar/disco at the front, or the engine noise coming from the rear.

Try to choose a boat that has patio style doors in your cabin, so that you can sit in a comfortable chair, the beautiful fresh air breezing over you, REAL Egypt floating by, drink in one hand, ciggi in the other,..............what more in life do you need. :wi .

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:49 am

I had a great few days staying at the Isis Island hotel last year and I know Yildez stayed at the Isis Corniche year before last and wasn't impressed.
Can I say this without causing yet another controversy? :lol:

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:24 pm

carrie wrote:I had a great few days staying at the Isis Island hotel last year and I know Yildez stayed at the Isis Corniche year before last and wasn't impressed.
Of course you can say this Carrie, I am known for not biting peoples heads off these days.

I offer this hotel, being that, I think Zooropa would be fine in a three star hotel as this, because there are a couple of good safe restaurants very near, again by the side of the Nile. Plus the fact that I think he would only be staying in Asswan two nights, so he would be quite busy away from there seeing the sites, and at the end of each day you want a good clean bed, a pool to keep the kids happy and a couple of good inexpensive restaurants, where I might add, the best (home made) ice cream in Egypt has been available for over 25 years, but ssh, don't tell the others.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:35 pm

A-Four wrote:
carrie wrote:I had a great few days staying at the Isis Island hotel last year and I know Yildez stayed at the Isis Corniche year before last and wasn't impressed.
Of course you can say this Carrie, I am known for not biting peoples heads off these days.

I offer this hotel, being that, I think Zooropa would be fine in a three star hotel as this, because there are a couple of good safe restaurants very near, again by the side of the Nile. Plus the fact that I think he would only be staying in Asswan two nights, so he would be quite busy away from there seeing the sites, and at the end of each day you want a good clean bed, a pool to keep the kids happy and a couple of good inexpensive restaurants, where I might add, the best (home made) ice cream in Egypt has been available for over 25 years, but ssh, don't tell the others.

Kids? kids!

Stop swearing A-Four!

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:01 pm

Bombay wrote:Why not book a return cruise saves on hotel nights needed.
A return cruise at say US$70 per night FB would cost more per night than almost all hotels in Luxor, EB or WB. And being moored outside Aswan on the outside of a stack of 10 boats is not much fun. One boat in would be even worse with no view on either side except from the deck.

2 nights is long enough on a Nile boat. [i.m.h.o.]

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:09 pm

Well don't pay $70.
I did it and it was fine no ten boats in fact no other boats and as Zoo says he wouldn't do any other way and I agree no horrendous road trip, no 4hr train journey.
Sure you can find cheap hotels but a hotel of similar quality as the cruise boat would be a similar price.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:15 pm

You spend a fair amount of time sailing and its the best view around when you are slowly moving down the Nile

The view isn't that bad from the top deck which is where most people go.

All the places "come to you" rather than getting a feeling of having to travel.

Several boats have their own moorings and in the current climate rows and rows of boats moored together does not exist.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:29 pm

I think the best thing for you to do at the moment Zooropa, is to pick up a guide book, look through the Asswan area, and let us know what you want to see there, then we can put it to the test as to how long you need. A cruise boat usually docks for a day and a half, but then again, for some this is not long enough.

P.S. - I am sure there is a library on the St Matthew's Estate. :wi .

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:35 pm

A-Four wrote:I think the best thing for you to do at the moment Zooropa, is to pick up a guide book, look through the Asswan area, and let us know what you want to see there, then we can put it to the test as to how long you need. A cruise boat usually docks for a day and a half, but then again, for some this is not long enough.

P.S. - I am sure there is a library on the St Matthew's Estate. :wi .

They cant read on St Matthews - as you well know lol.

Ive been to Aswan many times but only as a stop over on a cruise.

It would be nice to stop there for a few days just for the scenery but not this year.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:56 pm

Looking the most recent GoogleEarth images of Aswan (July 2013) there are a few boats moored individually, but more moored in groups. There are not as many boats at Aswan as in 2010 when I last cruised. The images back in 2003 show a lot more boats than there are now.

The US$70 that I quoted was a December 2010 for a 4* cruise bought locally, and not including any site fees. We were moored 6 deep at Kom Ombo, but less than that at Edfu. In Luxor we were moored about 7 deep, down near the bridge.

We enjoyed the cruising, but there was only about 16 hours of that, some at night. In December it was a bit cool on deck at night - the poor barman who had to stay there to serve me was wrapped up in several layers and still complaining.

The buffet food was very repetitive. There were long queues and problems at checkout. Our 2 site visits were rushed, even though we skipped breakfast to get into Kom Ombo early.

I repeat, [imho] 2 nights was enough. I am hopeful that others have had better experiences.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:27 pm

Brian Yare wrote: I repeat, [imho] 2 nights was enough. I am hopeful that others have had better experiences.

I certainly have.