wine query

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kim

wine query

Post by Kim »

Im not much of a drinker and I only like a medium white wine is there much selection at luxor airport duty free and what would you recommend or is it better to just get it at heathrow? Thanks :wi

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: wine query

Post by Who2 »

Heathrow, Bond Street, St James, Corney & Barrow anywhere but here... :cool:
Majestic!
Ps: buy one for us and I'll double what you paid plus a beer..deal ?
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

A medium white wine, you say Kim, I am sure you stick with a certain label at home, as these wines are more or less consistent year on year. I don't give a damn when Tesco tell you they have reduced a white wine from £11-99 to £5-00. There are few white wines worth more than £5-00 in any British supermarket, red wines, - that's a whole new ball game.

With regards Heathrow, yes it might be duty and tax free, but boy, oh boy do they charge you the high price for EVERYTHING, to cover their high rent charge. It's perhaps the most expensive in the whole world.

As for Egyptian White wine, it's cheap, but so is the taste. - Waitrose are selling seedless grapes from Egypt. :wi

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Take some home Egylptian Wine home with you for when you repaint your home. Full of Tannnin

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

careful Kim don't know what the regulations are regarding bringing liquids through now. By the way have you read the book and listened to the CD yet, I haven't. :lol:

sue

Post by sue »

I am not much help as far as White wine is concerned as I drink red but the principle will be the same. The last time I came out and this was the first time I have ever done it, I packed a box of the wine I enjoy, Sainsburys price and not the overpriced supposedly tax free airport price. It used about 2k of my weight allowance but it also guaranteed I had that much to bring home in the case. (So some lovely pottery took it's place)

When out in Egypt in the evenings I drank Obelisk this time as apparently the Sheherazade that was being sold was a bad year and quite unpalatable, according to friends. I believe you can get this in a white wine as well as red. Not the best but I found it drinkable.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Next time drink Omar Khyhamm brand, far better and not so sour. Obalisk is not much better than peppered water. i am not aa drinker but enjoy a glass with a meal when out.

Kim

Post by Kim »

Thanks for the info and thanks for the offer dr
Im not sure of the regulations either carrie need to check and no still havent listened to the cd im so disorganised lately or lazy not sure which :)

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Bombay used to stock a selection of imported wines, South African I think they were. I doubt he will be on until Sunday as he is doing covert desert maneuvers till then. He would be the best one to ask.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

sue

Post by sue »

If you fancy trying out a good selection of wines then you should head to JJ's in Karnak. They have heaps of different wines and are quite a reasonable price as well. Plus the food in there is also pretty good as is the music, if you are lucky enough to get a live music session on the go.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

Once you are halfway down your second bottle of Omar Khayam, it starts to taste ok :lol:
Stand up to be seen
Speak up to be heard
Shut up to be appreciated

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

sue wrote:If you fancy trying out a good selection of wines then you should head to JJ's in Karnak. They have heaps of different wines and are quite a reasonable price as well. Plus the food in there is also pretty good as is the music, if you are lucky enough to get a live music session on the go.
Or unlucky enough if you live down the road from one. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

sue

Post by sue »

So do you live in Karnak Dusak? So maybe if I get back sometime we could arrange a JJ's Music night then and it wouldn't keep you up if we were there bopping the night away. :D

sue

Post by sue »

Robbo70 wrote:Once you are halfway down your second bottle of Omar Khayam, it starts to taste ok :lol:
Well I did try it but I never quite took to Omar Kyyaham, always seems to upset my tummy. Prefer the poetry and have a delightful copy of the Rubaiyat.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

If you are looking for a decent white wine and not just the cheapest then Cape Bay white is about the best. Aida sparkling white is also much better than it was.

http://gianacliswines.com/gianacliswines.html

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

sue wrote:So do you live in Karnak Dusak? So maybe if I get back sometime we could arrange a JJ's Music night then and it wouldn't keep you up if we were there bopping the night away. :D
I live just a stones throw away in what used to be a quiet hamlet. :lol: I don't mind the music being loud as it is a rare occurrence and usually in summer when or if they open the front doors. If it helps a business to gain a little extra cash, then all well and good, and, considering all the hard work they have put into the place, they deserve it.

As an after point to this post, their main competitor, the renowned Genesis bar is no longer catering to this clientele as the renter for many years has been kicked out because the mainstay of his financial dealings, European wife number AZ7315 finally kicked him into touch. :up It is now developing a reputation of an Egyptian drinking and drug den, as well as a haunt for the very fat, grubby, butt ugly ladies of the night that can still offer their services from within the darkened shadows of its interior. His Ukrainian wife eventually managed to escape back to the Ukraine with the kids before she succumbed to brain damage due to the fact of being used as a punch bag, she is now I believe, a freedom fighter on the side of the Russian separative movement. :D

Wills

Post by Wills »

I have had a few bottles of white Omar Khayam when I have been in Luxor, my friend and I pished out our heads in the company of Mr. D and friends. LOL :br :br :br :lol:

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Wills wrote:I have had a few bottles of white Omar Khayam when I have been in Luxor, my friend and I pished out our heads in the company of Mr. D and friends. LOL :br :br :br :lol:
I don't remember that, was I pished? :oops:

Wills

Post by Wills »

Dusak wrote:
Wills wrote:I have had a few bottles of white Omar Khayam when I have been in Luxor, my friend and I pished out our heads in the company of Mr. D and friends. LOL :br :br :br :lol:
I don't remember that, was I pished? :oops:
Can't remember LOL it was the night of the long lost relative at "The Villa" :tk