Luxor Museum

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Luxor Museum

Post by Zooropa » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:43 am

Its been a few years since I visited, from memory I seem to recall that I could use my camera without a flash.

Can anyone advise please.

Many thanks.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Luxor Museum

Post by newcastle » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:03 am

Zooropa wrote:Its been a few years since I visited, from memory I seem to recall that I could use my camera without a flash.

Can anyone advise please.

Many thanks.
I'm pretty sure there's a notice at the ticket office saying " No Photography"....not surprising. I was last there about 3 months ago.....fabulous collection of statuary & other interesting items. Now 100LE entrance.

P.s. I snuck a few shots anyway...as I was about the only visitor :roll:

Don't miss the 15 min or so video presentation in the theatre....if only for the dulcet tones of Omar Sherif

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:23 am

I love Luxor Museum, and always go at least once every visit. I'm sure photography is not allowed. I particularly enjoy the huge statue of Sobek and Amunhotep III, and the royal Mummies.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:06 pm

Have to admit,it is some time since I was last there, however, as you enter the museum, to your left is a wonderful statue head with horns of the goddess Hathor. To my knowledge this is still the only item in the museum that is from K.V. 62, Tutankhamoun. If it's still possible to walk all around this item, notice that the black resin was aloud to run down the back of this item, evidently there was insufficient time to correct this, in view of the unexpected death of the pharaoh.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:37 pm

Luxor museum is really phenomenal. Quite enjoyed it.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:43 pm

A-Four wrote:Have to admit,it is some time since I was last there, however, as you enter the museum, to your left is a wonderful statue head with horns of the goddess Hathor. To my knowledge this is still the only item in the museum that is from K.V. 62, Tutankhamoun. If it's still possible to walk all around this item, notice that the black resin was aloud to run down the back of this item, evidently there was insufficient time to correct this, in view of the unexpected death of the pharaoh.
There are other items from KV 62....for example a re-assembled chariot.

Incidentally, the bovine gold head representing Hathor is on the "right" as you enter.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:11 pm

Yes, you are correct Newcastle, it is on the right, silly obvious mistake, I could imagine our friend Zooropa, checking the area where you are expected to leave cameras etc. ashamed to say, I don't think I've been there since they did the extension to the place.

Not sure if the chariot was there then, though I do know that since just before the so called revolution, a large amount of the Tutankhamoun treasures in Cairo were being boxed away.

I worry now whether we shall see ALL of them ever again, when or if the new museum being built at Giza ever opens.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:19 pm

A-Four wrote:Yes, you are correct Newcastle, it is on the right, silly obvious mistake, I could imagine our friend Zooropa, checking the area where you are expected to leave cameras etc. ashamed to say, I don't think I've been there since they did the extension to the place.

Not sure if the chariot was there then, though I do know that since just before the so called revolution, a large amount of the Tutankhamoun treasures in Cairo were being boxed away.

I worry now whether we shall see ALL of them ever again, when or if the new museum being built at Giza ever opens.
It could well be that the chariot wasn't there pre-extension. I think they add & take away items from KV 62 from time to time.

The new "underground" gallery of statuary is stupendous....mainly from the cache exhumed in Amenhotep's Sun Court at Luxor Temple.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:28 pm

Not been for years but I think Yildez and I will be adding it to our "to do " list this winter.

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:50 pm

We'll I'll certainly be paying another visit, we can go together Carrie! And yes, I love the Hathor head, and the Sun Court cache. I usually spend a couple of hours there. There is also a head of Akhenaten, Amarna art at its most extreme, that fascinates me, and a whole wall of Talalat (?) from Amarna, used as infill in one of the pylons in Karnak Temple. There are quite a few exhibits, including textiles, from Tutankhamuns tomb. But, Sobek and Amunhotep always draw me back - a truly amazing piece of world class art!