My holiday.

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

User avatar
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2165
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:04 pm
Location: Scotland
Has thanked: 901 times
Been thanked: 1322 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

My holiday.

Post by Scottishtourist » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:34 pm

So,how was Luxor this time?

I visited from 22 Oct til 5 November.

It started off with negative vibes.The Gaddis has gone somewhat downhill!In fact,it's bloody awful!The room wasn't ready despite being booked 8 weeks prior to visit.All I wanted was a nice warm shower.I got a trickle of scalding water and a shower tray that was almost overflowing due to the previous occupants hair and skin debris clogging up the drain.I thought about poking about it with a wire coathanger..but the only ONE in the wardrobe was plastic!

Didn't have any power cuts.Don't think I'd have noticed anyway,cos for two weeks we had a dud bedside light!Thought about replacing the bulb with another in the room..then thought again.It was connected with two bare wires and electrical connections have never been a strong point with me.Despite asking for problems in room to be rectified..the complaints fell on deaf ears...yes,yes,no problem..then they didn't bother their bloody arses, and ignored the complaints.

We had visitors in the room most evenings in the form of large ants.Even they gave up the quest for comfort and drowned themselves in our duty free vodka!

The hassle?
Well,I really thought things looked promising!For about 3 days I had none.Everyone wished me a nice day,no-one hassled me.Then it started.I'd shudder when I walked out the hotel every day for my early evening coffee.I'd hear the galloping of hoofs behind me and be accompanied to St Joseph hotel by a various assortment of caleches and taxis.Will no-one just let me WALK?I enjoy a walk in the sunshine..leave me alone!!
At first,the tourist police seemed to be watching..then even they seemed to give up and ignore this hassle towards me.
They reverted once again to scratching their arses.adjusting their crotches,looking at their fones,and tying their shoelaces!

I decided to change my route to Secret Garden and Tutti Frutti.The caleche driver who was kinda polite 18 months ago started yapping on about "hugs."I succumbed one day and gave him a friendly hug..only to find that he was "pressing"himself against me,and asking about "our"situation!He obviously had a very different view of "our"situation than I did!God,they're so direct!A little education on respect for tourists and women in particular wouldn't go amiss!

We enjoyed the "Agricultural Gardens"and went there most evenings for food.It was pleasant,relaxing,cheap..and hassle free.No "chancers"approaching us and asking to sit with us.Just fine and dandy.
Also ate some nights in Aisha restaurant(when we wanted something more upmarket)Now,THAT was very pleasant.The wee shoeshine boy chatted with us and never hassled.God love him,he even offered to clean my shoes for free before I went home.A little gentleman,and I sincerely hope that he will always remember the Scottish "madam" who chatted with him and befriended him.

I must admit that I enjoyed the holiday.I still much prefer Luxor to Hurghada (for all it's faults!)I'm re-charged,tanned and relaxed for the Scottish winter.

I always liken a holiday in Luxor to surviving two weeks in a surreal place.It didn't disappoint me.I felt I was existing in a parallel universe for duration of the holiday!It would be so boring if it was any other way!I loved it..so well done Luxor!

Looking towards May to come back again.Another bottle of Malt will be packed for the journey with proceeds to go to a good cause.x



User avatar
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2543
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:11 pm
Location: Worcester, UK
Has thanked: 1184 times
Been thanked: 1263 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: My holiday.

Post by Brian Yare » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:18 am

So in 2 weeks did you not venture to the West Bank? Here we have very little hassle.

User avatar
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7525
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:48 pm
Has thanked: 919 times
Been thanked: 2820 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: My holiday.

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:52 am

Scottishtourist wrote:The wee shoeshine boy chatted with us and never hassled.God love him,he even offered to clean my shoes for free before I went home.A little gentleman,and I sincerely hope that he will always remember the Scottish "madam" who chatted with him and befriended him.
He will. Because the foreigner who would stop and take a genuine interest in such children are far and few between. Far too many see them as someone to swear at or threaten with arrest. May you both be rewarded by your friendly relationship.

User avatar
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2509
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Leicester
Has thanked: 1286 times
Been thanked: 1749 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: My holiday.

Post by Zooropa » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:27 am

Glyphdoctor wrote:
Scottishtourist wrote:The wee shoeshine boy chatted with us and never hassled.God love him,he even offered to clean my shoes for free before I went home.A little gentleman,and I sincerely hope that he will always remember the Scottish "madam" who chatted with him and befriended him.
He will. Because the foreigner who would stop and take a genuine interest in such children are far and few between. Far too many see them as someone to swear at or threaten with arrest. May you both be rewarded by your friendly relationship.
Perhaps many do, but, I find most people in most situations are respectful of other people and practice the golden rule.

I practice a much higher dose of tolerance towards such people when in Egypt because of the social and economic factors that force them into such behaviour.

But I sometimes wonder whether im doing the right thing in my restraint, my view has always been that the tactics they use ultimately get them less not more business and perhaps I play a part in that by not telling them soon enough that they are out of order.

With respect, far too many of them see visitors as walking wallets who are insulting them if they don't open it and dispense some of the contents every time they ask.

Relationships of any kind are a two way street.

User avatar
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 4356
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:46 am
Location: luxor
Has thanked: 2796 times
Been thanked: 5385 times
United Kingdom

Re: My holiday.

Post by carrie » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:51 am

Glad to hear that you had a better time here this time ST, did you meet up with anyone from the forum?

User avatar
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 5874
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 2:29 pm
Location: LUXOR
Has thanked: 5895 times
Been thanked: 7328 times
Gender:
Thailand

Re: My holiday.

Post by Dusak » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:03 am

Glad to see that your stay this time was a little better than your last. But one disagreement I have with you is allowing the driver to press his point forward that it is OK to frot a female. This just leads him to try it on with all.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

User avatar
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2543
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:11 pm
Location: Worcester, UK
Has thanked: 1184 times
Been thanked: 1263 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: My holiday.

Post by Brian Yare » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:57 am

One learns something new everyday. I had to look up the verb 'to frot', never having come across the term before!

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:49 am
Has thanked: 2034 times
Been thanked: 5957 times
Egypt

Re: My holiday.

Post by newcastle » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:35 pm

Brian Yare wrote:One learns something new everyday. I had to look up the verb 'to frot', never having come across the term before!
Nothing like a bit of frottage to warm you up on a cold day :lol:

One of the quirks of Egypt is that some men feel free to put their arm around a foreign woman...maybe just posing for a picture,,,,maybe worse ....something they wouldn't dream of doing with an Egyptian woman they didn't know intimately.

Makes you wonder how they actually "think" of foreign women.

User avatar
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member
Posts: 755
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:59 am
Location: Datca, Turkey
Has thanked: 5302 times
Been thanked: 863 times
Gender:
Turkey

Re: My holiday.

Post by Yildez » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:29 pm

newcastle wrote:
Brian Yare wrote:One learns something new everyday. I had to look up the verb 'to frot', never having come across the term before!
Nothing like a bit of frottage to warm you up on a cold day :lol:

One of the quirks of Egypt is that some men feel free to put their arm around a foreign woman...maybe just posing for a picture,,,,maybe worse ....something they wouldn't dream of doing with an Egyptian woman they didn't know intimately.

Makes you wonder how they actually "think" of foreign women.

A woman, foreign or otherwise, has the choice whether or not to allow this. In most countries outside of Europe to do so is seriously unwise, and will almost certainly be interpreted as 'up for anything'. I never, ever, allow a man that I don't know extremely well to put his arm round me, or indeed have any bodily contact. This applies not just in Egypt, but here in Turkey as well. :stp

User avatar
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2165
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:04 pm
Location: Scotland
Has thanked: 901 times
Been thanked: 1322 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: My holiday.

Post by Scottishtourist » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:36 pm

Hi Carrie.

I didn't meet up with any other forum members,although I think I recognised one or two purely from their descriptions on the site.I'm not one for making arrangements and much prefer to "go with the flow."
I usually find this is the only way to get through two weeks in Luxor,lol!The essence of a holiday for me is getting time to do whatever I want,whenever I want to do it.
Nearest I got to it was my chat with Bombay on the phone.

The caleche driver in question is one I used last time I was there.He remembered me and adresses me by the name "Scottish."His chat up line is quite unique.."come and look at my horse's teats!!"
Most coincidental that his horse has either just had a foal or is pregnant every time I go,lol!I don't find him threatening,in fact if any of the other caleche drivers try to put their arm round me,he'll tell them "don't touch her."
He's obviously claiming the exclusive right!Very gallant of him....but anyone who does try this with me is soon quickly disabused of the notion by myself!

I tend to use humour in these situations.I never quite know if they're shocked by the response they get as I firmly remove their hand whilst still smiling.A feminine wile.

I really hate to use the word "safe"about the place because I've read enough on the forum to know that certain events happen that can hardly be described that way.However,I can honestly say that we didn't venture too far and used common sense (and taxis)when we did go anywhere further afield.The taxi drivers tended to be courteous and accepted whatever payment we gave most graciously and without any argument.
A couple of caleche drivers responded in the same way.If they were polite and respectful,they got 20le for the short journeys.I fully understand that times are hard for most people and although I'm on a budget,I don't begrudge them this.I'm not gonna shout,argue and kick up a fuss about it as the decision (and money)is mine and I'll gladly give a little extra if I've had good service,friendliness and manners.

I must admit though that I didn't feel "unsafe."there was quite a high police and army presence evident in the town.
I also noticed a slightly more pleasant feel to the place,there didn't seem to be the same undercurrent running that I felt aware of the last time.Maybe that's because it's a lot quieter now with less tourists.Or maybe it's just that the people have settled down a bit and are trying their best to get on with life.

All in all,I had a good holiday and just like the "terminator"..I'LL BE BACK!x

User avatar
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7525
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:48 pm
Has thanked: 919 times
Been thanked: 2820 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: My holiday.

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:10 pm

Zooropa wrote:
I practice a much higher dose of tolerance towards such people when in Egypt because of the social and economic factors that force them into such behaviour.

But I sometimes wonder whether im doing the right thing in my restraint, my view has always been that the tactics they use ultimately get them less not more business and perhaps I play a part in that by not telling them soon enough that they are out of order.

With respect, far too many of them see visitors as walking wallets who are insulting them if they don't open it and dispense some of the contents every time they ask.

Relationships of any kind are a two way street.
All makes sense, if you are looking at the kid as a business proposition to be accepted or rejected. The two way street also applies to how you see them.

But they are also people, with lives and the possibility of friendship. That's a relationship, not the business transaction you describe.

User avatar
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 4356
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:46 am
Location: luxor
Has thanked: 2796 times
Been thanked: 5385 times
United Kingdom

Re: My holiday.

Post by carrie » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:34 pm

ST next time you come you will have to venture forth over to this side, some nice places to sit and watch the river and the boats especially early evening. The Agricultural Club is great, somewhere I as a woman on my own can go and sit and feel comfortable. Glad you found it. Did you catch a LOCAL BUS THOUGH????

User avatar
Robbo70
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:12 pm
Location: liverpool uk
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 1186 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: My holiday.

Post by Robbo70 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:16 pm

Little mohammed shoe shine was chatting about you today. He got into a bit of a tussle with another kid and hurt himself. Was very polite about you though. You did meet a couple of us. You ssked me and timetraveller if you were at the right plsce in the culture club. However, you had stated you had no wish to meet forum members so we respected your privacy. You also saw me several times at secret garden with omar, but again, I left you in peace. I dont invade peoples space unless invited into it :)

If your caleche man had a white horse called suzie then I know him well. A rogue but a nice rogue, in thst he is no danger to a woman... just a pest and too forward pest at that. Suzie retired 1st november to rest before her foal comes in the next few weeks.

Next time try the lotus hotel. Still a cheap place to stay but clean and a nice pool with a pleasant nile view
Stand up to be seen
Speak up to be heard
Shut up to be appreciated

User avatar
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 4356
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:46 am
Location: luxor
Has thanked: 2796 times
Been thanked: 5385 times
United Kingdom

Re: My holiday.

Post by carrie » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:24 pm

Well Robbo is very polite not invading your space, I would have. :lol: Looking at cheap hotels in Luxor I had a look last night and the Sofitel in Karnak, know it's a bit far out, but lovely hotel they were quoting 10 english a night b and b.

User avatar
Robbo70
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:12 pm
Location: liverpool uk
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 1186 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: My holiday.

Post by Robbo70 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:09 pm

If you are in the culture club this week and you spot me, feel free to come and invade carrie :D
Stand up to be seen
Speak up to be heard
Shut up to be appreciated

User avatar
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2165
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:04 pm
Location: Scotland
Has thanked: 901 times
Been thanked: 1322 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: My holiday.

Post by Scottishtourist » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:32 pm

Robbo70 wrote:Little mohammed shoe shine was chatting about you today. He got into a bit of a tussle with another kid and hurt himself. Was very polite about you though. You did meet a couple of us. You ssked me and timetraveller if you were at the right plsce in the culture club. However, you had stated you had no wish to meet forum members so we respected your privacy. You also saw me several times at secret garden with omar, but again, I left you in peace. I dont invade peoples space unless invited into it :)

If your caleche man had a white horse called suzie then I know him well. A rogue but a nice rogue, in thst he is no danger to a woman... just a pest and too forward pest at that. Suzie retired 1st november to rest before her foal comes in the next few weeks.

Next time try the lotus hotel. Still a cheap place to stay but clean and a nice pool with a pleasant nile view
You're spot on with everything you say Robbo.
I remember you and your husband Omar.
I recall that you had a "talking"motorbike.Don't know anything about bikes but it looked like a fine vehicle.
Please extend my apologies to Laura.I offered her a bottle of Malt whisky for the fundraiser for ACE.This was the "other"one that my sister had packed.However,before I left she had changed her mind about the recipient and given it away!Mine was promised to Bombay..so I'm heartened to see that the proceeds were for ACE anyway.
The next one will be left with Laura to do with whatever she pleases.

You're also spot on with the caleche driver.lol!!His horse is Suzie.On arrival he is somewhat unkempt..but as the fortnight goes on he starts to take an awful lot of pride in his appearance and becomes clean,tidy and freshly shaved every day(obviously moving in for the kill!)

He's SO direct.He doesn't bore me with requests for land,flats and fones!Think he'd be quite happy for a little attention,lol!!
But,I don't consider him dangerous.He can just be a bloomin nuisance and quite trying at times.However in his own strange way,he does offer a bit of respect and I don't think he'd harm me.

Was it Hamada who got into the bit of bother?The taller boy?
Or was it his smaller friend?The one who Hamada said was called Mohammed?
Or is Hamada and Mohammed one and the same person?

And was Timetraveller the blonde girl sitting with you?

We'll definitely consider a different hotel next time we visit,so thanks for the tips.Wish you and your friends a nice time and hope all's still going well in Luxor.x

User avatar
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2509
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Leicester
Has thanked: 1286 times
Been thanked: 1749 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: My holiday.

Post by Zooropa » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:30 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:
Zooropa wrote:
I practice a much higher dose of tolerance towards such people when in Egypt because of the social and economic factors that force them into such behaviour.

But I sometimes wonder whether im doing the right thing in my restraint, my view has always been that the tactics they use ultimately get them less not more business and perhaps I play a part in that by not telling them soon enough that they are out of order.

With respect, far too many of them see visitors as walking wallets who are insulting them if they don't open it and dispense some of the contents every time they ask.

Relationships of any kind are a two way street.
All makes sense, if you are looking at the kid as a business proposition to be accepted or rejected. The two way street also applies to how you see them.

But they are also people, with lives and the possibility of friendship. That's a relationship, not the business transaction you describe.
And likewise what you say makes sense.

However, I'm not the slightest bit interested in making any Egyptian friends.

That's not what I go to Egypt for.

Like it or not, accept it or not, there are way too many Egyptians that I would come into contact with that would be playing me for money using friendship as a ruse.

There are countless stories of this happening.

I don't have enough time when im there to properly evaluate them even if I were interested.

I have some very good ex pat friends and at the risk of being accused of discrimination the simple fact remains that they are a much safer bet.

User avatar
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7525
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:48 pm
Has thanked: 919 times
Been thanked: 2820 times
Gender:
Egypt

Re: My holiday.

Post by Glyphdoctor » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:06 pm

Discrimination...No. It's no loss for an Egyptian. Because I don't think most Egyptians would be interested in friendship with someone with views like you have anyway. You can't be friends with someone who hates who you are.

User avatar
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2509
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Leicester
Has thanked: 1286 times
Been thanked: 1749 times
Gender:
United Kingdom

Re: My holiday.

Post by Zooropa » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:37 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:Discrimination...No. It's no loss for an Egyptian. Because I don't think most Egyptians would be interested in friendship with someone with views like you have anyway. You can't be friends with someone who hates who you are.
Ive already said im not interested, and its not my problem if they wouldn't want to be a friend with someone who speaks the truth.

Your twisting facts again, I did not say once that I hated anyone, and its not unreasonable or hateful to choose to not want to be friends with anyone - so grow up.

If you read Dusak's excellent A-Z of life in Egypt you would have a very good example of the facts.

His clear and detailed account of moving to Egypt and setting up home is an eye opener.

At almost every turn he was ripped off and plain robbed, for every good outcome there was at least one where a trader or local attempted to take advantage and rip him off.

If Dusak had been Egyptian doing the same in Europe or the UK - the chances of him being ripped off would be slim to none if he did basic background checks - something which is easy to do in most other places and im not talking about local gossip. Also of course, there is a will on behalf of the authorities to protect people from being ripped off and treated badly unlike in Egypt where you just get shrugged shoulders.

You can bitch, moan and bury your head in the sand all you like but the fact of the matter is as far as expats and visitors are concerned Luxor has too many people looking to rip you off.

Address their attitude and actions before you take issue with my reaction to it if you want to be taken seriously.

User avatar
Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 6711
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:04 pm
Location: Snitzel
Has thanked: 1482 times
Been thanked: 5310 times
Gender:
Vietnam

Re: My holiday.

Post by Who2 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:16 am

I totally agree with Z's statement but he forgot to say that they rip each other off just as much, 'thieving arabs, is not a new statement , like robbing jews or miserly scots it's a nature to be understood and accepted, romanians seem to be the race to hate over here at the moment, blamed for everything including ebola….. :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Holiday
    by Tilly2 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:24 pm » in Visiting Luxor
    16 Replies
    267 Views
    Last post by hatusu
    Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:11 am
  • holiday visa
    by Magy » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:57 pm » in Living in Luxor
    16 Replies
    272 Views
    Last post by carrie
    Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:45 pm
  • Holiday visa
    by Jolly holly berry 1 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:18 pm » in Visiting Luxor
    27 Replies
    296 Views
    Last post by Bombay
    Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:14 pm
  • Holiday in Luxor!
    by Kaiserbernese » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:58 pm » in Visiting Luxor
    37 Replies
    571 Views
    Last post by Brian Yare
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:31 pm
  • Holiday Pics from Oz
    by Major Thom » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:50 am » in Hobbies And Pastimes
    1 Replies
    168 Views
    Last post by LovelyLadyLux
    Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:43 am