Wages in Egypt/Luxor.

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Wages in Egypt/Luxor.

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Major Thom wrote:I am joking, I am well satisfied with my cleaners they do a good job, they are hard working and worth every 1 le. But by puittomg that comment to this thread it opened up what I thought it would.
Well by asking the question I got what I was looking for from you-an admission that you couldn't afford a cleaner to begin with in London.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

[quote="Mad Dilys"]About 10 years or so ago when I gave my excellent hard working cleaner 10 LE for 4 hours work, several Egyptians told me I was mad, that 5LE a daywas more than enough.

My reply "If the person I employ is poor, it's because I keep him poor".[/quote

I would like to add that of course we didn't just give him wages, but he ate the same as us of course and we made a packed lunch for him to eat at his next job (as a road sweeper, very hard hot work) plus many invisible perks.

I'm afraid that in Luxor if a person is known to be receiving a high wage then all their relations hands come out.

Unexpected bonuses, medical help, spontaneous gifts anything not too obvious is the best way to repay diligent workers in my opinion. 8)
Smile! It confuses people

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

I appreciate all points of view on this.

The thing that kinda concerned me the most though was not so much the asking for money.
It was more to do with the fact that maybe,just maybe,he was only being "nice"to me for some kind of financial gain.
Had I given him the money,I think I would have reflected on it..and probably felt very "used."

I always acknowledge good service.My "tips"reflect this.I would also have no problem paying someone a fair rate for good work,e.g a cleaner.
But,that's all to do with paying someone for a service.

In this case however,I liken it to trying to take advantage of someone.
I could "nurse"a millionaire in hospital for two weeks and in that time build up a friendship of sorts.
(Not all wealthy people go to Harley St!!)

But at the end of his/her stay...would I ask for 6months wages?
Simply because I assume that would be "nothing"to them?

Believe me..if they decided to "blow the whistle"on me,there would be internal inquiries,disciplinary action..and I would probably be sacked!

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Nurses here get tips.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

I have always been a believer that if you pay a decent wage you can expect a decent return. When in London my workers always received at least 15p an hour more than any other people doing the same job and they knew it. for that I got good work, work done on time and reliability. Our cleaners here divide their work up so both families benefit. I have never met their families since the 2.5 years they have worked, but we often receive eggs, and bread from them. Both young men are happy, and reliable and their work is exceptional. When they began we told them and in some cases showed them what we wanted doing, now we do not have to bother, we can leave them working in the knowledge that when we leave the place they will carry on until they have finished, clean their equipment, put it away tidy and lock up behind them. They even clean up the small area they use for tea's, coffee and biscuits behind them, We love them both dearly, and would never want to be without them. They also love their lift back home on finishing on the motorbike.

I have heard that some people grumble they need to be on their cleaners backs all the time to do the job properly, I have also heard people say that they have had things go missing, but for us we have not experienced any of these things at all, and many of times they have had the opportunity. It may be we have been lucky, I don't know, but we are very happy with them, and appreciate them.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Nurses here get tips.
From what I here it isn't exactly ''tips'' they receive, but a silent demand to be given money for services provided that are part and parcel of the medical care the patient receives. And, when you consider the s*** wages they receive for carrying out this professorial service in bad conditions and go unappreciated by the hierarchy, its no wonder.
Major Thom wrote:I have always been a believer that if you pay a decent wage you can expect a decent return. When in London my workers always received at least 15p an hour more than any other people doing the same job and they knew it. for that I got good work, work done on time and reliability. Our cleaners here divide their work up so both families benefit. I have never met their families since the 2.5 years they have worked, but we often receive eggs, and bread from them. Both young men are happy, and reliable and their work is exceptional. When they began we told them and in some cases showed them what we wanted doing, now we do not have to bother, we can leave them working in the knowledge that when we leave the place they will carry on until they have finished, clean their equipment, put it away tidy and lock up behind them. They even clean up the small area they use for tea's, coffee and biscuits behind them, We love them both dearly, and would never want to be without them.[ They also love their lift back home on finishing on the motorbike. ]

I have heard that some people grumble they need to be on their cleaners backs all the time to do the job properly, I have also heard people say that they have had things go missing, but for us we have not experienced any of these things at all, and many of times they have had the opportunity. It may be we have been lucky, I don't know, but we are very happy with them, and appreciate them.
So you carry three on your bike? That doesn't sound very safe. I think that a lesson in road safety is needed. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

No "D" one works 3 days a week the other works the other 3 days, Sunday is a free day. My Motorbike was designed to carry the rider and one passenger, and that's what it does

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

One of the things I first noticed when staying in hotels in Egypt was the tendency of some staff to befriend regular tourists and then solicit 'gifts' of phones cameras or whatever. It's not something I've noticed elsewhere.....but definitely a habit that has developed here.

Requests for cash....assistance for 'sick' relations etc.....is almost a standing joke. Even amongst Egyptians themselves!

They do it without discomfort and I wish I felt the same when I decline. Each request is trivial when considering our respective levels ofwealth.....but you have to remember there are 90 milllion of them and only one of you :lol:

Refusal is usually met with equanimity....and doesn't seem to prevent another try after a suitable interval.

As regards payment for services, I always ascertain the "going rate" agree this in advance and then pay a bonus (often a handsome one) if the work is done well and on time. I have no problem in getting electricians, plumbers etc. to turn up pronto....word soon gets around that I'm a generous, albeit demanding, employer :lol:

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Major Thom wrote:No "D" one works 3 days a week the other works the other 3 days, Sunday is a free day. My Motorbike was designed to carry the rider and one passenger, and that's what it does
All it takes is a better form of wording, then no one can post a funny comment. I would not like to think that you are contemplating taking legal action for defamation of character. :lol: + one extra :lol: , just in case to missed the point.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Perhaps my mushrooms are not growing correctly due to lack of food, maybe you would like to call in for a coffee one day.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Major Thom wrote:Perhaps my mushrooms are not growing correctly due to lack of food, maybe you would like to call in for a coffee one day.
That's a sweet, bridge-building gesture :up

But it might be wise to take your own coffee Dusak :)))

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian »

newcastle wrote:
Major Thom wrote:Perhaps my mushrooms are not growing correctly due to lack of food, maybe you would like to call in for a coffee one day.
That's a sweet, bridge-building gesture :up

But it might be wise to take your own coffee Dusak :)))
Don't know about the coffee but may be a good idea to take your own water and heating source (non-electric)

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

I really have no idea about bridge building Newcastle its the wrong trade for me, plus there are many other bridge builders in Egypt that would do a better job. For me it would have to be maybe a floating pontoon using 25 gallon drums.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Major Thom wrote:I really have no idea about bridge building Newcastle its the wrong trade for me, plus there are many other bridge builders in Egypt that would do a better job. For me it would have to be maybe a floating pontoon using 25 gallon drums.
... filled with petroleum and one mug on top. [for the coffee that is.] :dv

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

I do not drink Coffee, so the mug will not be mine!

Adamantium

Post by Adamantium »

Scottishtourist wrote:I appreciate all points of view on this.

The thing that kinda concerned me the most though was not so much the asking for money.
It was more to do with the fact that maybe,just maybe,he was only being "nice"to me for some kind of financial gain.
Had I given him the money,I think I would have reflected on it..and probably felt very "used."

I always acknowledge good service.My "tips"reflect this.I would also have no problem paying someone a fair rate for good work,e.g a cleaner.
But,that's all to do with paying someone for a service.

In this case however,I liken it to trying to take advantage of someone.
I could "nurse"a millionaire in hospital for two weeks and in that time build up a friendship of sorts.
(Not all wealthy people go to Harley St!!)

But at the end of his/her stay...would I ask for 6months wages?
Simply because I assume that would be "nothing"to them?

Believe me..if they decided to "blow the whistle"on me,there would be internal inquiries,disciplinary action..and I would probably be sacked!
Scottishtourist I will take your 3000LE and raise you 45-50,000LE. I keep in contact with friends in Egypt until they turn to the subject of money then those calls die a death. Usually these are a need for financial help for the present and so remaining on talking terms after I chose to say no tends not to be an option. This person however has asked for help regarding a wedding. He wants that I pay for him to get married. It was our longest conversation as he listed where the money is spent. I could hear voices in the background probably his brothers helping him along. He continued to flatter me and assure me if I choose to say no it does not matter. It will not change our friendship. Needless to say I was quite aghast and knowing of Egyptian weddings he was budgeting for the high end marriage. This included 10,000LE for gold for the Bride.

Just to clarify he works in a café and occasionally the souk. It is a café I know him from in Aswan as I am a friend of the family that owns it. I appreciate his need to be married as he has often asked that I bring with me a female friend to hook him up with. And then he asks for a wedding. It did leave me wondering if so soon he had managed to find a fiancé. In your situation ST you were left wondering if he was taking advantage of your good nature and being a nurse your nature is good and you care for people and you probably feel awkward when they ask but strong enough to say no so you are no pushover. If he is being nice to you just for financial gain then if things go quiet and he realises he is getting nothing then you will have your answer. The test of friendship is when they let you say no and still care for you.

As for my 'Friend' well, I keep detailed records, dossiers on all the people I come into contact with. He seems to think I am unaware of matters he was embroiled in matters that go against him. I do not hold it against him but I measure him by it. The conversation along with wedding plans also involved him wanting to go into business with me. He outlined the payment plan this being in my favour. I strung him along suggesting that I would like to open a café which I would. It suits my bohemian nature. But business is not my nature and with Egypt in such turmoil it is not a great time for investment.

I do appreciate his need to get wed and the benefits this brings, however given his status he should lower his expectations. 45-50,000LE is a big bundle of cash with which I can do a lot of good for those who are more deserving. One expensive marriage for people I do not know could spread across greater causes within Luxor and Aswan. Adults can look after themselves. If it was a matter of survival that would be different. An extravagant wedding with Aswan's top wedding singer that is something different. But I don't feel like I am being used as I will not be taken advantage of and having been given the option the word "NO" will fall easily from my lips. At the end of the day these people are on a different continent. Their life is their own and if they need our help they need to learn not to outreach themselves and this only divides us.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Don't understand your problem, he asked, you said no end of story.