Luxor.May 2015.

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Luxor.May 2015.

Post by Scottishtourist »

Arrived back home couple of hours ago.Flight from Gatwick to Glasgow was on time and no hitches.
How was Luxor this time?
VERY,VERY quiet!
Arrived there 13th May to spend two weeks at Sheraton.Can't fault hotel or Thomsons in any way.Were allocated bungalow room.Absolutely fabulous!Great housekeeping,two changes of towels every day,complimentary water,TOILET ROLLS,hairdryer,fridge,tea making facilities,etc.
Staff were lovely,very attentive without being obtrusive,breakfast plentiful..and met some lovely people.

Didn't feel need though to venture too far from hotel!So,can quite honestly say that I didn't really swell the coffers too much of the local economy this time.

Actually found the place pretty derelict and deserted when I did venture out!Found myself the only tourist on the street.Didn't see any others.Place is dying!
Didn't find hassle too bad (maybe just bit stronger minded and less sensitive now!)Yes,there were the usual cries of "caleche,taxi,etc..but nothing I couldn't cope with.Had only one nasty incident.Was walking back to hotel one evening and caleche driver jumped down from carriage at Kentucky Chicken.He walked alongside me with a pronounced limp,asking me to take his caleche.Kept feeling something touching my ass (was wearing maxi-dress!)Each time I looked he seemed to also have a "dead"arm..so put it down to his (false)disability.
Then felt distinct pinch and grasp!!Screamed at him to "stop it!"

Oh,so sorry madam,he claimed!Yeah!!!Pardon the pun..but my ass!!

Went out for coffee one day at 4.30/5.00pm.
Disappointed that I was refused a cuppa in TWO restaurants.One ex-pat one had "stripped"their machine,the other was only serving meals.Bad show Luxor!!Isn't my money good enough?

Caught up with Hamada,the shoeshine boy.He remembered me!He's now moved his pitch to outside MacDonalds and is selling paper tissues.God love him..he remembered me,was polite and respectful as ever and even gave me pack of hankies as a "free"gift.Was so touched by his gesture that I gave him 10le!
He's still a lovely little boy.

Sitting in Pizza Home the other night with Egyptian friend and got call from her hubby.He was coming to pick us up but would be delayed slightly.There were road blocks,etc.
Was due to an incident in Saladin(sp)Square.
Some kinda trouble between two families..and one or more fatalities.Does anyone know any more about it?
Heard the story..but won't divulge,cos really ain't my business..and always of the opinion that it's better to keep ears open..and mouth shut whilst in Luxor.

Enjoyed the holiday..but by second week things were getting pretty repetitive,and was ready to come home.

However,if we get good enough deal for September/October in same hotel..then will be back!

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Luxor.May 2015.

Post by Brian Yare »

I'm confused. If all you want to do is sit in a mid-range hotel for 2 weeks, hardly venturing out of the door, why go to Luxor? You say that by the 2nd week you were getting bored. There must be some other place where you could have more fun for less dough, and without going from Glasgow via Gatwick. :?:

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Oh ST what happened to the romance? Glad to hear that you enjoyed it better than last time though even if you were a little bored, do you never venture forth to the west bank, not all tombs and dead bodies here you know.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Brian Yare wrote:I'm confused. If all you want to do is sit in a mid-range hotel for 2 weeks, hardly venturing out of the door, why go to Luxor? You say that by the 2nd week you were getting bored. There must be some other place where you could have more fun for less dough, and without going from Glasgow via Gatwick. :?:
I enjoy the sunshine Brian.I loved the hotel.It was absolute bliss!Calm and relaxing.

Dunno why you are so confused!
It's MY choice!There is NO rule that dictates that I have to conform to Luxor etiquette!
If I don't choose to spend my money on local economy..then that's my own choice!

Just because I don't conform to YOUR idea of "a holiday"doesn't mean I can't enjoy myself.
And,always remember..you are MALE!
I would assume that you are not subject to the same "hassle"as a female..so you have no reason to criticize my choice of a holiday,nor express such a masochistic view!

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

carrie wrote:Oh ST what happened to the romance? Glad to hear that you enjoyed it better than last time though even if you were a little bored, do you never venture forth to the west bank, not all tombs and dead bodies here you know.
Don't know anyone on West Bank Carrie.And from previous posts..don't know that I would be very welcome anyway,lol!!
Apart from yourself offering hospitality..it seems to be a very close-knit community!

Maybe next time,I'll venture further.x

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Scottishtourist wrote:
carrie wrote:Oh ST what happened to the romance? Glad to hear that you enjoyed it better than last time though even if you were a little bored, do you never venture forth to the west bank, not all tombs and dead bodies here you know.
Don't know anyone on West Bank Carrie.And from previous posts..don't know that I would be very welcome anyway,lol!!
Apart from yourself offering hospitality..it seems to be a very close-knit community!

Maybe next time,I'll venture further.x
There are one or two 'nits' living over there, slightly more this side. :lol: Barks worse than their bite in most cases. You should of just turned up and took it how it was, taking up carries invertation. The dates you were here was quite busy with tourists from what I saw, out at 5.30 every day, but mainly elderly so probably just taking the cooler air at that time and hibernating the rest of the day. There where, and still are, quite a lot of balloons up, but they could be off the boats. I try to relax, but get bored quite easily so know what you mean, so back to 'doing stuff.' Anyway, at least you showed willing and came. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Welcome back! I missed you ST. 8)
Smile! It confuses people

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Next time ST next time, we are all wonderful over this side, honest injun. Meanwhile back to work hope all goes OK. At least you will have a nice tan to make all the patients jealous.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

carrie wrote:Oh ST what happened to the romance?
No romance I'm afraid Carrie,lol!!

However,I did meet a few very nice people,American and Canadian couples.They were so interesting to talk with and I enjoyed their warm and friendly manner.They were also very enthusiastic about Luxor and Egypt in general and certainly intend to re-visit.
I don't find Americans brash nor abrasive.On the contrary,this couple were very charming,softly spoken and articulate.Just lovely people.

The Sheraton is also base hotel for Air Egypt staff.
Spent a lovely couple of days at the pool chatting to a charming pilot.All very respectable and polite.Don't wish to appear snooty,but he really was a breath of fresh air and far removed from the general taxi men,caleche drivers,etc.He came from Cairo,Heliopolis,was married with three daughters and we enjoyed chatting about our families,etc.

Also caught up again with Ahmed the caleche driver(well..he caught up with me in street!!!)
Hadn't seen him about and reckoned he'd moved on.But,no.He spotted me one day!
Glad to say though that his horse Suzie was tethered to the little foal she was expecting last time I visited.It's called "Sabrina",a lovely little brown foal.He was getting it acclimatised to the traffic and noise.Says that she is Suzie's second foal..and he won't let her have any more.
They both looked in pretty good condition....Suzie needed new shoes though!

So..as I kinda know him,and on the whole he seems pretty harmless,I gave him some money to get Suzie her new shoes.Maybe I was a "mug",but can only hope he was being honest with me.It was a modest sum,so didn't mind.

He then offered to take me everywhere free in his caleche.I declined.
It's a kinda sad realization now for me..but I will NOT travel alone in Luxor in either taxi,caleche or felluca.I just refuse to put myself in a vulnerable situation and much prefer to walk the short distances in the daytime.

Didn't encounter any "gigalos"Maybe they've all moved away!
But the one thing I was a bit uncomfortable with was the attitude of some Egyptian children.They appear to have got very bold and insulting.Some parental responsibility and education re respect,attitude,etc wouldn't go amiss!

Twice on Television Street I was surrounded by a "gaggle"of gallabeya clad youths aged about 12.
They were forthright and asked for money,then mouthed off obscenities when I didn't give them any!Their language was foul,so much so that I had to ask two passing Egyptian men to intervene.

I find it quite sad that these youth resort to this.After all,they are representative of a future generation.

On the whole though,I enjoyed the holiday.I didn't plan on doing anything too strenuous anyway and Sheraton was a perfect choice for relaxing.
Hopefully we'll be able to source another good deal later in year and return.

By the way,I see there are various posts re prices of holidays,etc.
Just for info the cost of the Thomson package this time for me and sis was £914.That's £457 each.
That was for flight from Gatwick,transfers,two weeks B&B at Sheraton..and no charge for late checkout,also 15kg luggage included.

I reckon we got a "peach"of a deal!

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I thought you and Zooropa had done a flit and eloped to Gretna green. Having not seen either of you for a while.. :cg

Nice to see you going back in Luxor, We too enjoyed our stay in one of the cottages in the Sheraton Hotel, back in 2009 IIRC.. :tk

So, S.T has turned up, but what has become of Zooropa.. if not in wedded bliss with our very own S.T ? The Plot thickens.. :cool:
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

Scottishtourist wrote:
carrie wrote:Oh ST what happened to the romance?
Also caught up again with Ahmed the caleche driver(well..he caught up with me in street!!!)
Hadn't seen him about and reckoned he'd moved on.But,no.He spotted me one day!
Glad to say though that his horse Suzie was tethered to the little foal she was expecting last time I visited.It's called "Sabrina",a lovely little brown foal.He was getting it acclimatised to the traffic and noise.Says that she is Suzie's second foal..and he won't let her have any more.
They both looked in pretty good condition....Suzie needed new shoes though!

So..as I kinda know him,and on the whole he seems pretty harmless,I gave him some money to get Suzie her new shoes.Maybe I was a "mug",but can only hope he was being honest with me.It was a modest sum,so didn't mind.

He then offered to take me everywhere free in his caleche.I declined.
It's a kinda sad realization now for me..but I will NOT travel alone in Luxor in either taxi,caleche or felluca.I just refuse to put myself in a vulnerable situation and much prefer to walk the short distances in the daytime.
If I had to go anywhere alone with a calesh driver, I would chose Ahmed and Suzie. He is good fun, but respectful enough, and safe to be with. I am glad Suzie is looking ok. He got in touch a few days back to say he had had a reasonably steady flow of work over the last month, so Suzie was eating enough to feed the foal, and he was making enough to feed his family. I like the honesty of him to be fair. He will only ever ask for us to buy his horse food if he isn't making enough money, and never asks for the cash directly.

Glad you had a pleasant time of it, and sorry to have missed you as we fly out on Tuesday night. We are back the beginning of October too though so may see you at the culture club!

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

To be honest Robbo,I'm not entirely comfortable around horses!
I like to look at them but am slightly nervous of clapping them,etc.They're just too big!

The one thing I'll say about Ahmed though (from what I see)is that he seems genuinely fond of his animals and treats them well.He encouraged me to pat the little foal.I was rather hesitant and think the wee animal sensed my nerves.

However,I found it quite endearing the way it nuzzled up to HIM and seemed to have complete faith and trust in him.

Daresay that if he treats his animals with care and respect,then he probably can't be that bad.
That was main reason I didn't mind helping him out..and would probably do so again.

Miss scarlett

Post by Miss scarlett »

Well that is really refreshing to hear of a caleche driver who says he is making enough money at the moment to feed his horses and his family. I think we all prefer dealing with the honest ones, of which there are a few about, but it's finding them! Is Ahmed usually around the Sheraton hotel?

I have to agree with you ST about the children and their attitude, I have an upsetting experience when I went in April. Had been to see a family and as we walked across the road some children came dancing round my husband and I. The next thing I knew I had been slapped hard, really hard across my arm from behind. I turned round to hit back, and that is unusual for me, as I am a mild mannered type. The girl, around 12/13 was running away fast, no way I could have caught her. Have to say it hurt, but worst of all it shook me up, that a local girl would want to hit me so hard, and for no reason. A local woman saw it and came up to me and apologised.

Regarding no romance ST, did you see your admirer, or have you decided to keep a distance now? Just wondered whether it had caused any difficulties visiting this time. Have missed your posts while you have been away, you often ask questions that I want to know the answers too!

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I'm sorry but I can't keep a secret, ST married the love of her life whilst she was here, I was a bridesmaid, the only bridesmaid may I add. We went to the wedding by donkey cart that had tastefully been decorated with cabbage leaves, all went well till one of the wheels fell off. St looked beautiful in her bright orange dress covered in ribbons and diamante, a little the worse for wear by the time we got the wheel back on buy hey ho whats life without a few difficulties. The reception was held at a famous belly dance club off TV Street and a good time was had by all. I never knew that Scottish nurses were so good at pole dancing. Wish her well and I hope to goodness no one fron the Sheraton is reading this she may not be allowed back :lol:

Miss scarlett

Post by Miss scarlett »

Photographs please!!! Loved that!

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Miss scarlett wrote:

Regarding no romance ST, did you see your admirer, or have you decided to keep a distance now? Just wondered whether it had caused any difficulties visiting this time. Have missed your posts while you have been away, you often ask questions that I want to know the answers too!
You know something Miss Scarlett?
I've known this "admirer"for 4 years now and I really think he's more in love with Tesco than he is with me!!!

I always bring him a pair of "pantalons"(cargo type shorts)and t-shirt from the Florence and Fred range!
Once he receives them..all talk of marriage ceases!Do I mind?Nope..not any more!

I posted about health scare I had at beginning of year(breast problem)Since then,my life has taken on new curve.I feel as though I have been given new beginning.
I used to get SO angry with things,feel used,etc.

Now?I realise anger is pointless.My "admirer"keeps in touch(probably needing new pantalons in October!)

There will never be any future in the relationship..but he can still be a nice friend.
And this time,I finally think that he got the message!Kindness should never be mistaken for weakness!!

In this frame of mind..I had a lovely holiday.x

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

ST, "A close knit community???????"

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

It never ceases to amaze me this 'I went to visit the family' statements.
Why ? what an earth does any tourist or ex-pat have in common with an Egyptian family ?
Is it 'it makes me feel good, bit like Father Xmas, what do people talk about ? oogling at another new family member ? talking about the weather, politics, state of the World ? Spare me… :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

What do they have in common?

Nothing or very little Doctor.

But that's the attraction really the very little, the exotic, the change from the run of the mill in both sides.

Human beings who appear so different sharing the similarities as well as those differences and enjoying each other's company.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

I vividly remember the first time I was left with a group of Luxor ladies at a men's religious meeting in Karnak.

I had not a word of Arabic and none of them spoke anything else.

By sign alone, we discussed our children, food recipes, medical histories and indeed after 10 minutes I was massaging the aching back of one lady............. then we moved on to gardening and small animal welfare.

It was a hoot, we all spent most of the time laughing - and that's what makes our visits special.