Emilio Hotel

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Emilio Hotel

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Is the Emilio Hotel still open for business these days?

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Emilio Hotel

Post by carrie »

Yes it is, went and had a coffee on the roof the other week, pool dirty, looked very run down and neglected sorry to say.
I know this is off the subject but I saw Shakespear last week, I was on the bus unfortunately so couldn't speak to him, for the first time ever he looked old and shambling. Going accross the water tomorrow will have a walk past Sindbads and see if I can spot him.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Thanks Carrie.

Odd because it's not on many of the booking sites it used to be or else when you put test dates in it comes up as not available.

Shame about Shakespear.

It looks like two of my Luxor are in sad decline.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

I had a chat with Mr Shakespeare at Hamees last month. He seemed as chirpy as usual. I guess the summer heat gets to everyone though.. :br

Sorry, I can't find a smiley for a cola.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

Stayed in Emilio a few years ago.Nice hotel,put on an "Egyptian nite"for the tourists.
Snake charmer,belly dancer,whirling dervish!

Only thing I wasn't fussed on was manager!
Wonder if he's gone!

Guy in shop also tried to rip off an elderly couple!Wanted extortionate price for cigarettes.
They were non-smokers..but wanted to take some back for friend who was "house-sitting."
As a smoker,they asked me to advise.Got their ciggies for 1/3rd of price in Savoy Street market.

Pool area was lovely though..but couple of tourists were annoyed at fact that waiters were very reticent about bringing their change..and insisted that an extra t-bag would cost them 10le!

Scams everywhere in this hotel..breakfast also dismal a few years ago.Wouldn't go back!!

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Yer know, I do have fond memories of the old Emillio, long before I got my own bicycle, when I lived on the WB, I rented one from the old man across the road, his son George was the taxi driver outside the Emillio. This was a time when it was quite safe to ride a bike in Luxor, I have wonderful memories of cycling down the back lane all the way to the then 'never finished' bridge and back, now it's a dual-carriage way called the Movenpick Road.

Some I'm sure will remember the small garden that you crossed from the Emillio to Savoy Street shops, this was built, and then forced to maintain by the local council, by the Emillio Hotel, similar to a number of the old three star hotels, like the now gone Mina (small) Palace Hotel, which again was encouraged to refurbish, which it did,........six months later it was demolished, under the authority of the 'grand plan'. In Britain when a developer comes along to build a commercial property, Town and Country Planning Oficers seek what is known as a S 106 gain, so the developer pays for such things as new pedestrian pavement, or even new gardens as a 'gift' to established local residents, then the local authorities pay for the up keep. The local authorities in Luxor have a similar thing, but unfortunately, the developer has to continue to pay for the S106 for as long as the new building is in existence.

I know that the Emillio was encouraged to redesign it frontage, while they built the Queen's Valley Hotel and the Suzanna Hotel when tourism was in full flow, but all these will be out of the bounds of future tourism once the road is closed to create 'the Avenue'. There are so many sad stories of many Egyptian business people who invested everything into tourism in Luxor, who were not only let down by the present troubles in Egypt, but also by its local council, and even now so by central government.

Will the 'grand plan' ever be so?

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Although I never stayed at the so called Egyptian three star hotels such as the Emillio, St Joseph, the Mina Palace and of course the Pharon up in Karnack, it did allow so many who dreamt of coming to see Luxor in those early days, to be able to stay for a week or two for as little as £99 for a week, if you was really lucky or £199 for one week B&B, or£299 for two weeks B&B, including flight.

I've often wondered how many people lived and fell in love with Luxor, who first started out by re-visiting their regular three star hotel, either you loved them or loathed them, but thanks to late bookings on ceefax, it was oh so easy, and very inexpensive for so many, and for those who smoked cigarettes each visit could pay for itself.

I wonder for this new generation, will it ever be so easy, as it was then.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

I still wouldn't hesitate to stay in 3star hotel in Luxor A-Four.
My priorities are a clean bed,air-conditioning,and a decent breakfast.

I can't swim,so pool condition is somewhat irrelevant.However,I do like to cool down.

Fact is,that this time Sheraton with a Thomson package worked out cheaper than booking with independent agents.
Really was a "no-brainer."

I've always stayed in 3star hotels before.Pharon,Emilio,Queens Valley,Gaddis,St Joseph,etc.
Unfortunately,standards in all have fallen somewhat drastically.

There's cheap and cheerful..or there's cheap and dismal!!

And quite honestly,these hotels can no longer justify the prices they are charging with the (lack of)services they are providing.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I totally agree with you Scottish Tourist, it's a shame that these such hotels have had to down grade themselves, and now it seems only tourists from Cairo will use them. In the past the likes of Thomson would guarantee the management of these such hotels occupancy of at least two floors of each hotel, that is why so often in the old days tourists could get them for so little when booked as a late deal.

Many hotels used this guarantee to persuade local banks to finance their refurbishment and new developments, for example the so called New St Joseph Hotel, which now seems never to be finished.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

A-Four wrote:Although I never stayed at the so called Egyptian three star hotels such as the Emillio, St Joseph, the Mina Palace and of course the Pharon up in Karnack, it did allow so many who dreamt of coming to see Luxor in those early days, to be able to stay for a week or two for as little as £99 for a week, if you was really lucky or £199 for one week B&B, or£299 for two weeks B&B, including flight.

I've often wondered how many people lived and fell in love with Luxor, who first started out by re-visiting their regular three star hotel, either you loved them or loathed them, but thanks to late bookings on ceefax, it was oh so easy, and very inexpensive for so many, and for those who smoked cigarettes each visit could pay for itself.

I wonder for this new generation, will it ever be so easy, as it was then.
If the Egotel were still there, or Swissotel as it became, I might never have started staying on the WB. The Mercure Egotel was very good and very convenient.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Is that the building that sits at the roundabout near Iberotel A-Four?

Every year I go,there seems to have been a little more work done to it..but completion seems a far way off!

Was told that it was the new "St Josephs."
Is that fact?

Still looks like an empty shell of a building.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Scottishtourist wrote:Is that the building that sits at the roundabout near Iberotel A-Four?

Every year I go,there seems to have been a little more work done to it..but completion seems a far way off!

Was told that it was the new "St Josephs."
Is that fact?

Still looks like an empty shell of a building.
Yes you are correct, the two brothers invested in that from the start, but really as you may know, in business you have to be forward thinking, something Egyptian hotel owners are not good at.

No way are tourist in this new generation are going to put up with a swimming pool on the roof, as what was planned for this hotel. It's a little like Sonesta St George their pool was on the roof initially, then at great cost, in more ways than one, he built the one as you see today, though few people use it, being that this hotel is mostly a three day event hotel.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I remember the Egotel opening Brian, the pool area seemed a little strange, as though an after thought. They did have an excellent fish restaurant I remember.

Do you remember the old open air Egyptian cinema that was over the wall from the pool, towards the east?

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

I stayed at the Pharon on my first visit to Luxor in 1999. No complaints at all, clean, good service and great position on the Nile.

Moonstone
V.I.P
V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Moonstone »

Brian Yare wrote: If the Egotel were still there, or Swissotel as it became, I might never have started staying on the WB. The Mercure Egotel was very good and very convenient.
Such happy memories of the old Mercure Inn/Egotel. On my first visit as an independent tourist in 2000 I stayed there and just kept on going back year after year. I was always given the same room overlooking Luxor Temple. I used to send a fax (just shows you how far back this is) to Zain on Reception and he would take care of the booking for me. I was always welcome in the kitchen if I became a little peckish between meals. Does anyone remember the little bookshop there? I can't remember the name of the man who ran it but he was such a perfect gentleman. And does anyone remember the T-shirt/souvenir shop in the driveway? Those were the days ................. It made me so sad to see it go.
Nil desperandum

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

A-Four wrote:I remember the Egotel opening Brian, the pool area seemed a little strange, as though an after thought. They did have an excellent fish restaurant I remember.

Do you remember the old open air Egyptian cinema that was over the wall from the pool, towards the east?
I remember it being built, but did it ever open ?

I have fond memories of that place, it was the Mercure when I first went there. The small garden was almost enchanting, and the place had a good positive vibe to it.
You couldnt go wrong with the room's, if you had a back room, then you had a view over the WP Gardens, with all those wonderful aromas of the fauna and flora in the evening, plus they has thier own small garden at the back that you could almost reach out and touch, with red flowers on them.
If you had a front room, then there was the view of the temple and the front garden.
The small kidney shaped pool was adequate and clean. remember the tall palm tree by the pool decorated in lights. ? one of the tallest I have seen. Bats flying about in the evening, occassionally dipping into the pool to either take in water, or possibly catch a stranded insect that had become trapped in the water.
The ONLY downside to the Mercure was having to run the gauntlet past the row of shops in the driveway on the right as you approached the Hotel.
You can keep all your fancy polished granite and sparky diamanté chandeliers, that Hotel was in my opinion worht its weight in Gold.
A great place to go exploring from, next to Sindads and the Luxor Hotel, which I would often explore for a little backshese and free roam of the place for an hour or 2.

The Mercure hotel is from where I first met Shakespeare, and a lovely young man named Hassan who never ever ripped us off, and had a small stand with his uncle underneath the small precinct on the junction of Temple street and the main road.
The Name of which escapes me at this moment, :tk
(I recall that place was one of the Luxor Hot spots prior to Hapshetsts in '97 )

Happy Days, :up :up :up but just because its all gone around that area didn't mean there were no more treasures to be found.. :br
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

Darkstar
United Kingdom

Post by Darkstar »

The Mercure Inn/ Egotel was a fantastic little hotel, the staff were all friendly and polite and the food was good. At breakfast Andi who served in the restaurant was a demon with the coffee pot and was constantly on patrol filling cups, he was such a happy chap. The clothes shop on the drive was run by a Coptic called Joseph and his daughter, also the restaurant on the right of the drive (as you go in) was a nice place and cheap. The jewellery shop run by Hassan was a bit pricey though. Fond memories :)

The Mercure/Etap/Eatabe was an excellent mid range place to stay, friendly helpful and did a great BBQ in the gardens, and it is so convenient for the Temple, museums and local ferry. It's a shame that no travel companies are doing packages there anymore.
Nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I can not be certain Darkstar, and I would love to think I am wrong, but I think the place has been demolished along with the small and quite old mosque, at the same time as they pulled down that late 1960's shopping centre, that had a quite interesting upstairs restaurant.

I wonder what happened to those two statues either side of the stairs up to the front of the Egotel.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

A-Four wrote:
I wonder what happened to those two statues either side of the stairs up to the front of the Egotel.
I wonder what happened to all those little jewels and nuggets of gold in the Luxor Hotel ?
The pictures, the arabesque fittings and lights, the photographs' and trinkets ? :tk

I do hope they are in good hands.. :br
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Seen Shakespear today and had a word, he is fine but "skint" as usual, he said he wasn't feeling too well last week but OK now. I told him we write about him on L4u and he thanks everyone for their kind wishes.