Emilio Hotel

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Emilio Hotel

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I do keep him in my prayers, times must be hard for him and despite never going on his felluca, I have probably paid him for many a trip I never took, and it's worth every penny.

A wise old man who's company I could keep forever. an Honest crook. God love him and his family.

Anyone who has never met him should seek him out, take him for a drink and buy him a packet of Marlboroughs and drop him a few quid for his time.

He is a proud man, but even pride has to be fed, so please do not pass him by, and If I ever find myself in Luxor again, I will happily reimburse anyone who has shown kindness to this man in any way I can..

And If I don't come back to Luxor,, well I will see you on the other side, at Shakespears table on the front row..... :cool:

There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Shakespeare is a wonderful character who I have known for years, I would often join him for a cup of tea when I lived in Egypt. While I do not wish to write up on here his history, I can tell you that through his work in tourism, he has managed to put his kids through university, and to give them a greater future, than he ever had for himself, and that's what he wanted even when he and I were still quite young.

There were many Egyptian gentlemen of the tourist industry in Luxor, Captain Nemo and Fat Mo, just to mention two others. Most have gone now, and strange but so few have come along to replace them, perhaps a sign of the times.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Bullet Magnet wrote:
A-Four wrote:
I wonder what happened to those two statues either side of the stairs up to the front of the Egotel.
I wonder what happened to all those little jewels and nuggets of gold in the Luxor Hotel ?
The pictures, the arabesque fittings and lights, the photographs' and trinkets ? :tk

I do hope they are in good hands.. :br

A few years ago I wrote up on here a few secrets about the old Luxor Hotel, when I learnt that it was due to close, and evidence of what I wrote could still be seen then. In truth a whole book could be written about the many antics that occurred within those very walls throughout its life. Gone now are even the brass plaques of some of the future famous people who stayed/lived at this hotel.

Howard Carter's picture along with Lord Canarthan's littered the walls, though in real respect, in 1923 in view of the fact that most of the worlds press were staying at this hotel, Carter insisted that he should get 100% on his bill, the management refused, so off he marched around the corner to the Winter Palace, where he discovered is bill there was three time that of the Luxor Hotel.

There is also a very colourful story of a certain Mr Wallis.E.Budge in the 1880's,........and to think we thought only Carter was crook in those days.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I like the part...
Mark Beynon has drawn on previously unpublished evidence to conclude the occultist – dubbed the wickedest man in the world – masterminded a series of ritualistic killings in 'revenge' for the British archaeologist Howard Carter's opening of the boy-king's tomb.

From my perspective, the tomb was meant to be found, just that there may have been interested parties not wanting this tomb to be found, and Carter used his position as Spy to procure this information and locate the tomb. May have used Caernarfons money to grease a few palms. ?
The curse was a lie ,one of those urban myths that were allowed to spread.
I did hear that Carter had discovered this tomb in 1917, and that may be a clue to the truth, not finding it too quickly after procuring the information.
then there is the consideration of the possibility of Germany winning the World War, ?
He would have become the first Indiana Jones, dodging the Germans around the desert if he had declared the find back then..
Labour is cheap, you can keep those people digging for a few years if necessary..

One could also go into the David Icke territory and claim there was stuff in that tomb the authorities did not want the general public to see. Alien space ship parts, or the Arc of the covenant..

But a simpler explanation is Caernafon getting a return on his investment prior to the official discovery and subsequent documenting and recording of the tomb and its contents. ? (allegedly::: in case he has any rich relatives wanting to sue me.. :cool: )

These wealthy people rarely do anything for the public interest, if they did, they would not be wealthy.

Clearly though, there is something we are not getting about the whole discovery, lack of DNA tests, missing body parts...

undocumented artefacts that could only have come from Tut's tomb in possession of western individuals. ?

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

A-Four wrote:Shakespeare is a wonderful character who I have known for years, I would often join him for a cup of tea when I lived in Egypt. While I do not wish to write up on here his history, I can tell you that through his work in tourism, he has managed to put his kids through university, and to give them a greater future, than he ever had for himself, and that's what he wanted even when he and I were still quite young.

There were many Egyptian gentlemen of the tourist industry in Luxor, Captain Nemo and Fat Mo, just to mention two others. Most have gone now, and strange but so few have come along to replace them, perhaps a sign of the times.
In other words,he's just an old "chancer",not a character by any means..but someone who has educated himself and bled the tourists dry for a great many years!
What exactly is his work in "tourism?"

He's put his children through university?I could say same about my vet!!

These kinda comments are the main thing I object to when visiting Luxor!

And,I guarantee that he's probably got more disposable income than you and I combined!

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Not fair comment ST.

I suggest you read your comments in the cold light of day.

"Bled the tourists dry" which tourists were reduced to penury by this gentleman? Please give examples as I've known him for 24 years and this is news to me.

He is a felucca captain by choice for reasons of his own.

I'm pleased that your Vet has put his children through university, but may I suggest his lifestyle, background and disposable income is very different from "Mr Shakespeare" making the task somewhat easier?

"These kind of comments are the main thing I object to when visiting Luxor" Honestly, how often when you are in Luxor do people make these comments to you, after pouring scorn and abuse about many things in Luxor, have we really, at last come to The Main thing?

"i guarantee that he's probably got more disposable income than you and I combined"

How can you possibly guarantee any such thing when you don't know him, let alone are privy to the knowledge of the details of the disposable income of any of your readers.
Smile! It confuses people

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

I'd like to add that in my opinion the main reason for Mr Shakespeare's undoubted popularity is that people very often feel better after meeting him. Better in general, not in particular before you ask ST. He doesn't criticize, moan, winge, gripe or feel that he has the right to pass judgement on anyone, let alone someone he doesn't know.

One would have thought that idea would be appealing, but then as they say perhaps, No Sense No Feeling?

Heaven forfend that you might think I am comparing him to you ST.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

Quote: The curse was a lie ,one of those urban myths that were allowed to spread.
It was not an urban myth, it was spoken by the ex head of antiquities Arthur Weigal who was then a stringer for The Daily Express and did not trust Carter or Canarvon further than he could throw them… :cool:
Ps: You can see Carter addressing his team about this in the BBC Discovering Egypt. I was playing Arthur.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

But the tomb was never cursed, it was not inscribed on the wooden door or above it..
Or do I stand corrected ?
:tk

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

No I don't think it was, I believe it was just a way of Arthur getting better copy for the Express readers.
After 6 hot hours of filming this bit and Gardener walking off with Carter shouting at me, one time I mouthed at him to "f*** off! another time I threw a pebble at him as I exited 'stage-left…hilariously good fun…. :cool:
Sophocles.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Thank You... :up Hard to imagine you causing controversy.. :br

I have a theory that Tut' is not really tut' and he is a black man, but it does not go down too well... :cg

Of course, the items in his tomb are symbolic, take the gold throne for example, they clearly knew who we really were and where we come from.
Living image of the light... I doubt Cater was the first to interfere with Tut's tomb.. :tk

Moonstone
V.I.P
V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Moonstone »

[quote="Scottishtourist"

These kinda comments are the main thing I object to when visiting Luxor![/quote]

And these kind of (note correct spelling please) comments are the main things I object to in your posts. :x
Nil desperandum

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Shakespear is a delightful man, never once has he asked this tourist for money, he is a good conversationalist, self educated and to compare him to your vet ST is just ridiculous. When has he ever had the opportunities that your vet has had? When the Tourist Police office used to be beside the Winter Palace, because his English is so good, I have known him be called in by the police to help translate he has helped so many people.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

ST: I do hope that

1 / you will seek out Shakespeare on your next visit, and

2 / He will tell you the story about the purse he once found that was full of money and credit cards...

Judge not, lest ye be judged yourself... :cool:

Moonstone
V.I.P
V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Moonstone »

Bullet Magnet wrote:ST: I do hope that

1 / you will seek out Shakespeare on your next visit, and

2 / He will tell you the story about the purse he once found that was full of money and credit cards...

Judge not, lest ye be judged yourself... :cool:
Took the words right out of my mouth! :lol:
Nil desperandum

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

Iv'e lost count of the times he's told me that one, he used to sit outside the old Tourist Police office and offer to translate for the irate tourist albeit the Inspector spoke pretty good English, 'well every body has to earn a living don't they ?
Ps: His felluca is well past it's sailing date…..
Sophocles.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

I love it when Gadullah ( Mr Shakespeare) says to his intended clients in his best Surrey accent "I'm here to rip you orf!" but it's obvious he's joking, well to any normal person at least.

Wherever he puts his vast "disposable wealth" it's not on his bones or on his back. Always simply dressed and so thin that I've often told him one day I shall just hear his voice as he's so thin he will have virtually disappeared.

When first met him a very long time ago when we were both in our prime, I immediately thought - what striking facial features, wonderful bone structure very beautiful in it's way. I wish I was a sculptor, but then again, who could capture his strength, humour and kindness? He's unique, God Bless him.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Can only give one like MD so heres some more like like like like :D

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Scottishtourist wrote:Stayed in Emilio a few years ago.Nice hotel,put on an "Egyptian nite"for the tourists.
Snake charmer,belly dancer,whirling dervish!

Only thing I wasn't fussed on was manager!
Wonder if he's gone!

Guy in shop also tried to rip off an elderly couple!Wanted extortionate price for cigarettes.
They were non-smokers..but wanted to take some back for friend who was "house-sitting."
As a smoker,they asked me to advise.Got their ciggies for 1/3rd of price in Savoy Street market.

Pool area was lovely though..but couple of tourists were annoyed at fact that waiters were very reticent about bringing their change..and insisted that an extra t-bag would cost them 10le!

Scams everywhere in this hotel..breakfast also dismal a few years ago.Wouldn't go back!!
Interesting that you have stayed at the Emilio too, although you seem to make some conflicting statements about your experience. Did you try out the Gaddis before or after your stay at the Emilio? How do you compere the two?

I have stayed in the Emilio many times over the years although I have tried others too. It suits my basic needs, not least that it is so close to the ferry. Curiously, I have never seen an 'Egyptian Nite' (or night) advertised when I have been there, but I have managed to avoid some of the (compulsory? ahem! Not for me thank you) Gala Nights in the past.

I do understand that the manager is not popular with many people. He and I have crossed swords in the past but I don't think he'd do that again. I have always found the staff there to be helpful, friendly - but not over personal, but sadly in more recent years lacking in drive and some of the former professional pride (not surprising in many ways).

The only time I use the pool area is to sit at night and write, if I am back there early enough. Sitting on the roof top with that view and the sounds of Luxor closing down for a few hours is always comforting to me. I just wish they sold a decent coffee up there, but then if they did perhaps I'd not go out.

I've always enjoyed their breakfast. I'm not a breakfast person normally but do enjoy it when on holiday. I guess their normal choices of an Egyptian style breakfast, cereals, fruit, cheese, cold meats, bread selection and eggs to your choice may seem poor to some, but I've always found it more than adequate. Since 2011 though there is a distinct drop in breakfast standards when only a few guests are in residence and while I can understand the need to cut costs, there still has to be to be customer care and satisfaction and it could be improved at very little cost. That being said, I'd take breakfast any day at the Emilio over the Gaddis, which was totally inedible when I stayed there. I couldn't even get a decent cup of coffee or tea there! It could have worked in my favour though as that week I ended up taking breakfast with friends in their shops - some of the best memories and friend forging sessions.

I have stayed at other 3* hotels in Luxor but I always seem to end up back at the Emilio.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Mr. Shakespear - I can only agree with all the positive comments made here about him. He is Luxor Character, kind and helpful and a delight to converse with. He has come to my help more than once, not seeking any reward. I first met him when the Mubarak Bazaar still existed on the Luxor Temple/ Winter Palace Hotel corner. He has always been a gentleman in every sense of the word to me. His parting words may always be '...and now can I help you spend your money.' but there has always been a glint in his eye, a friendly handshake, and wave of 'some other day', as he walks away.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley