Emilio Hotel

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Emilio Hotel

Post by Scottishtourist »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Scottishtourist wrote:Stayed in Emilio a few years ago.Nice hotel,put on an "Egyptian nite"for the tourists.
Snake charmer,belly dancer,whirling dervish!

Only thing I wasn't fussed on was manager!
Wonder if he's gone!

Guy in shop also tried to rip off an elderly couple!Wanted extortionate price for cigarettes.
They were non-smokers..but wanted to take some back for friend who was "house-sitting."
As a smoker,they asked me to advise.Got their ciggies for 1/3rd of price in Savoy Street market.

Pool area was lovely though..but couple of tourists were annoyed at fact that waiters were very reticent about bringing their change..and insisted that an extra t-bag would cost them 10le!

Scams everywhere in this hotel..breakfast also dismal a few years ago.Wouldn't go back!!
Interesting that you have stayed at the Emilio too, although you seem to make some conflicting statements about your experience. Did you try out the Gaddis before or after your stay at the Emilio? How do you compere the two?

I have stayed in the Emilio many times over the years although I have tried others too. It suits my basic needs, not least that it is so close to the ferry. Curiously, I have never seen an 'Egyptian Nite' (or night) advertised when I have been there, but I have managed to avoid some of the (compulsory? ahem! Not for me thank you) Gala Nights in the past.
I stayed in Emilio a good few years ago Hepzibah.It was before it underwent it's face-lift and I recall there was a shop I liked across from it.Think the shop was called "Aisha"or something similar.Was there not also a bicycle rental place next
door to it?
I normally expect a balcony room,so was disappointed to be put in one without a balcony,and with a view of a brick wall.
However,my good friends intervened and explained what I wanted and next day I got a move to a balcony room.The manager kept muttering something about "extra charge"but for whatever reason,I paid no extra.

Curiously enough too,the "Egyptian"nite wasn't advertised.The manager caught every guest who went into dining room and explained to them that there would be a buffet on rooftop pool with "Egyptian"entertainment.The cost was ONLY £10(sterling)and Egyptian LE was not acceptable as payment.

Found it a bit odd that this was not put on for free for residents of the hotel.However,I paid the money and enjoyed the nite up til a specific point.When we arrived on rooftop along with a couple we'd met in hotel,we were shown to a table at the back of beyond.All "front-row"tables were occupied by two tour groups from same company.
After a nice meal and entertainment,we and other residents were told to go back down to the lounge..as the ongoing music,dancing,etc was only for the tour groups!

Was later informed that the night had been provided by the travel company for their guests.The hotel had already been paid for it.Often wonder whose pocket my and the other residents "tenners" went into!

Prices for beverages at the pool were also extortionate!And remember that this was pre-revolution.One couple told a waiter to take the cans of cola back..when he insisted they would cost them 10le each.Another complained to restaurant manager that waiter wanted to charge them 10le for ONE teabag.Also said that they had never received change from any purchases they had made.

Guy in shop tried to "rip-off"an elderly couple who wanted 2 cartons of Rothmans.(cigarettes)
He quoted them 700le!!!
At that time they were probably cheaper in UK.

I've never stayed there again.First stay in Gaddis was in 2012,and I found it very good.Hence my return visits to it.However,on my last visit standards had fallen drastically...so from now on I'll check out Sheraton again for any return visit.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I wouldn't worry to much about 'getting ripped off, Mr Emil of Emilio Hotel fame got his whole briefcase of money neatly ripped off him at Thiefrow, he informed me a few years back at the World Trade Conference whilst outside having a fag break. About £20k…
Here's a nice one of Mr Shakespeare bemused by Big Nose reciting Henry V replacing horse with caleche…. :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Scottishtourist, by 'facelift' I assume you mean the change from the bright orange to 'temple cladding'! Yes, I stayed there regularly before all that happened too, but there was no major changes done on the inside.

Unless of course you go back to the time when the hotel was literally doubled in size and you stayed in the former Emilio Hotel (don't think it had a pool then).

If the Egyptian Nights were really put on at the expense of the resident tour group, did you really expect to be able to join them and eat for free? Even if the entertainment wouldn't have cost the organisers more, food costs would have to be covered, and you did say you enjoyed a nice meal. (Assuming you were on B&B like most people are that stay there.) As for prices of beverages at the pool, aren't they expensive in all hotels, especially pool side!

I can only hope that the guy in the shop is not the one I am used to seeing there. I've never been in the shop but he would always come out and pass the time of day with me.

Yes, there was a shop across the road to the Emilio called Aisha (sp?) which sold, if not Fair Trade items, Egyptian artisan items. I recall the bicycle hire and repair shop there too and Georgis.

It was 2006 when I stayed at the Gaddis. I remember being pleased that I wasn't a pool person because it looked like it would be in shade all the time!
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

Emilio I stayed in had a beautiful pool area Hepzibah.Two levels and fans at every dining table.

It's next door to "Queens Valley"hotel.
They re-furbished the outside of the hotel after I stayed there.

Guy in shop at that time,as far as I can remember was called "Michael."

What he didn't realize though was that this elderly couple who wanted cigarettes, were not "newbies"to Africa!
They were actually very well-travelled and had lived in South Africa for years.Tony was a journalist,always wore a panama hat,very educated,well dressed..and a wicked sense of humour!Both he and his wife knew the score!

Whilst I enjoyed the "Egyptian"nite in their company(and believe me,Tony "let rip"when we were asked to move downstairs)I just didn't like the fact that maybe,just maybe..our money was used to line the manager's pockets!

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Scottishtourist wrote:Emilio I stayed in had a beautiful pool area Hepzibah.Two levels and fans at every dining table.

It's next door to "Queens Valley"hotel.
They re-furbished the outside of the hotel after I stayed there.
Yes, the Emilio is next to the Queens Hotel - I've only been there one evening with a friends but that turned out to be a rip off.

The Emilio pool area can't really be described as on two levels though, unless you consider that odd little narrow covered area which I always think of as a shelf.
-Aldous Huxley

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

One of the best things about the hotel is the view from the roof, swimming pool area you can watch all Luxor going about their business.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

carrie wrote:One of the best things about the hotel is the view from the roof, swimming pool area you can watch all Luxor going about their business.
Yes, and the room balconies , although not large, are wonderful for that too. I always get up and count the balloons on the west bank, and love to watch folk coming over from the west on the early morning ferries and making their way to their work.

Many people haven't liked the Emilio because of it being on such a major junction and being noisy, but I just love the hustle and bustle of it all (although I can do without the pop up shop I encountered one year that seemed to blare their radio out full blast most of the night).
-Aldous Huxley

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

We have had friends stay there and they have enjoyed it. You do get to see some sights from that balcony.

Alison and I went for a cuppa there, and as soon as I wandered off to look at some books a few feet away, the barman was making a pass at my wife, buy licking his lips at her in a slow seductive manner.. :lol:
She looked behind her at first, then realising it was her he was directing his attention to she gave him her W.T.F ! look... ;)

I have learned that it is wise to retire to a safe distance when I see that look... :cool:
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

From what I've seen of one of the barmen, that might have been his normal mannerism and not a salacious licking of lips. :lol:
-Aldous Huxley

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

salacious: That was the word I was looking for ! :up

No, has was certainly looking for hist ticket out of the desert.. :cool:

Maybe he will have more luck after I have shed my mortal coil, Good luck to him, he's going to need it.. :cg

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

:lol: @ Bullet Magnet

I'm now left wondering what's wrong with me. ;) Hmm... the fact I've not received the salacious look or other attempts at seduction may have something to do with the fact that I keep turning up there wearing the same clothes year after year. Thank goodness for the clothes airers they supply on the balconies, as they really help my wardrobe and packing concerns. (If not my attraction) :)
-Aldous Huxley

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Scottishtourist wrote: Curiously enough too,the "Egyptian"nite wasn't advertised.The manager caught every guest who went into dining room and explained to them that there would be a buffet on rooftop pool with "Egyptian"entertainment...When we arrived on rooftop along with a couple we'd met in hotel,we were shown to a table at the back of beyond.All "front-row"tables were occupied by two tour groups from same company.

Was later informed that the night had been provided by the travel company for their guests.The hotel had already been paid for it.
At the first hotel where I stayed in Luxor, the staff chased me when I came back one night. They said that they were having a party one of the following evenings with Egyptian food and dance and they managed to persuade me to sign up for it. I had to pay immediately.

I was the first to turn up and chose myself a table, but was told to move to a small table in a dark corner and stay there! It was a small hotel and they knew that I would be the only guest apart from a group who had booked a private party in this dining room, so they should not have put me in this situation. It was a Swedish group, and I understood what was being said. They were talking about me, complaining that I was just sitting there and that I should not be eating. I did not like the way they looked at me, but I had the right to be there as a paying guest.

A woman came up to me at the buffet and said impatiently: "We are waiting for you!", then she went back to their table. Another woman came to my table and told me to get started - they thought that I was the belly dancer!

The belly dancer arrived late. She was a fat, gum chewing and lazy Cairo prostitute in a cheap costume who unbuttoned the men's shirts, put a scarf around their hips and tried to make them shake their beer bellies to a ghetto blaster while ignoring the female audience. I could have done a better job, but I was not paid to dance, just had some bland, overpriced dinner and went out for a beer by myself in this strange town.
:br

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Bullet Magnet wrote:
Alison and I went for a cuppa there, and as soon as I wandered off to look at some books a few feet away, the barman was making a pass at my wife, buy licking his lips at her in a slow seductive manner.. :lol:
:cool:
HEPZIBAH wrote:From what I've seen of one of the barmen, that might have been his normal mannerism and not a salacious licking of lips. :lol:
From what I've seen of Madame Bullet Magnet, she must be used to it! :ks

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by jewel »

I stayed at the Emilio back in the day when Charlie was around, some good laughs were had by one and all...in those days it had a respectable seediness to it, but was a cheap and cheerful place, all the action happening on the roof around the pool area....aaah, those were the days! And you could sit outside of an evening in the tree lined street and watch the world go by..........

Also the hotel Philippe round the corner was a great little place, especially the rooms with balconies that overlooked the nile at the side. The cockroaches were friendlier there than most 3* establishments, and the pool on the roof was good, but often deserted. They got a lot of Exodus groups, ( or is that Escape, or even Exit? It is so confusing) buy many backpackers on a budget, and some tour groups for the odd night or two.
It is the same people that had the Sonnesta St George.
Much as I love my 5 star travel, there is something to be said for the character of some of these places. :D
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I nicked this out of Wizard's photo album.. Keep it quiet though... :cg

I remember this going on back in the day..

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

That photograph, I think, was taken by GD47, it's possible the ones I shared earlier may have been taken by him too, although I also took some around the same time. I remember when that plot of green, extending to where the micro buses are parked, was a row of little shops. They were demolished a few years before the rest of the buildings in that immediate area that were over the Avenue of Sphinx.
-Aldous Huxley