Egyptair - baggage allowance and charges

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Egyptair - baggage allowance and charges

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I was just having a quick look at Trip Advisor and noticed a thread about changes to Egyptair baggage allowance and charges. I give the link below to the thread for those that are interested.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic- ... alley.html

I've not checked out any flights to see for myself at this stage but if there is a change it has happened since June last year as even the lowest fare guaranteed you 2 x 23k cases on direct UK-Luxor flights.

If you've got a flight booked it may well be worth double checking your baggage allowance as advertised and as printed on your documents/tickets.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Kaiserbernese

Re: Egyptair - baggage allowance and charges

Post by Kaiserbernese »

I think it depends upon the company you book the tickets with. Many are using Travel Republic, as they are slighly cheaper. The trouble is that you get a U class ticket which only gives you one 23kg bag.

I booked mine with Egyptair, flying out in 10 days time and I have two 23kg bags allowed on my ticket. It's irrelevant for me though, as I am flying to LHR from MAN with BA so I can only take one 23kg bag anyway!

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Kaiserbernese wrote:I think it depends upon the company you book the tickets with. Many are using Travel Republic, as they are slighly cheaper. The trouble is that you get a U class ticket which only gives you one 23kg bag.

I booked mine with Egyptair, flying out in 10 days time and I have two 23kg bags allowed on my ticket. It's irrelevant for me though, as I am flying to LHR from MAN with BA so I can only take one 23kg bag anyway!
It is indeed a bit hit and miss when you book through a bucket-shop. My last trip I was allowed 1 bag out but 2 bags back. Other times it has been 2 out and 1 back, or 2 each way. My advice is that if 2 bags is (or are) important to you then you need to check the baggage limits before confirming the payment. But for my recent 6 week trip I brought 11kg out (including a fair amount or food items) and 10kg back. :-)

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Alas, I wasn't able to travel at Christmas but I had already worked out my case sizes and what was going in each. My booking allowed for 2x23K LHR - LXR, then 1x23K for each of the internal flights I was making, and 2x23K for my CAI - LHR flight. As I had a lot of things to take to Luxor and leave there, I was confident that I could pack all that I needed for there in the larger of the two cases, and then put my slightly smaller on inside it for the internal flights. I didn't want to leave yet another case in Luxor.

Anyway, I saw the post on TA and thought I'd give the heads up here so that people could double check when they were making their booking.
-Aldous Huxley

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

From what I gather, if you book through Egypt Air you have no problems with two x twenty three + 4k hand luggage. But I did hear that it is a bit of a hit and miss affair if you book via another carrier. For me its just them trying to rip more money off the tourist by charging ridiculous amounts for the extra case.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Coming back from Oz I checked in for the Cairo-Luxor flight with 30Kg.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

Kaiserbernese wrote:I think it depends upon the company you book the tickets with. Many are using Travel Republic, as they are slighly cheaper. The trouble is that you get a U class ticket which only gives you one 23kg bag.

If you go to 'manage my booking' on your BA booking, and add another bag, its no where near as expensive as paying at the airport for extra kg's. We do the MAN - LHR and have added another bag at time of booking.

claverley

Post by claverley »

Saving £20 by booking with travel republic for an Egypt air flight cost me £25 at Heathrow for my second case so next time it's direct booking only.

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese »

I'm doing a lot of travelling whilst in Egypt, using Luxor as my base, so it was definitely necessary for me just to have one checked in case this time.

Plus, I'm travelling with two others so I was thinking about the transportation issues too.

Only ten days to go!!!

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Whatever your allowance, if you can squeeze in a couple of decent beers, some bacon, pork stock cubes and a small can of danish oil,
then the 'normal terms & conditions apply:
To whit: 1 x Stella 500ml for each item supplied.
Extra Bonus: 2 x 500ml for each Pork Chop...... :cool:
Ps: 'Be Lucky, plus 1 whole hour of my valuable time.....'but don't count on the whole 60 minutes....
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Deldinoa

Post by Deldinoa »

I always book with Travel Republic and always get the full 2 x 23kg. bag allowance. I'm flying out in six weeks time and can confirm that this is the case (no pun intended).

Billy_whiz

Post by Billy_whiz »

I've just looked at Travel Republic and they are only showing one bag allowance for the dates I am planning. I was caught out on my last booking through one of the flight search engines - when my confirmation arrived it showed just one bag from Heathrow to Luxor, but two bags for the return journey. I had to pay £25 at the airport for my second bag, so probably it would have been around the same price if I had booked with EgyptAir direct! I'm going to check more carefully for my next flight :D

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX »

Who2 wrote:Whatever your allowance, if you can squeeze in a couple of decent beers, some bacon, pork stock cubes and a small can of danish oil,
then the 'normal terms & conditions apply:
To whit: 1 x Stella 500ml for each item supplied.
Extra Bonus: 2 x 500ml for each Pork Chop...... :cool:
Ps: 'Be Lucky, plus 1 whole hour of my valuable time.....'but don't count on the whole 60 minutes....
2 boxes of Pork Stock Cubes already packed!

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Egyptair sometimes offer discounts within a limited period on international flights to and from Cairo. If you book online at Egyptair while they have such a promotion, you will see another cathegory, cheaper than the usual "Best offer" where only one piece is allowed.

I have booked roundtrips where my return ticket to Egypt was after the campaign had ended, so I only saved a few hundred gineh, but I could bring two bags back with me. My problem is that all my suitcases end up here in Luxor.

Deldinoa

Post by Deldinoa »

Billy_whiz wrote:I've just looked at Travel Republic and they are only showing one bag allowance for the dates I am planning. I was caught out on my last booking through one of the flight search engines - when my confirmation arrived it showed just one bag from Heathrow to Luxor, but two bags for the return journey. I had to pay £25 at the airport for my second bag, so probably it would have been around the same price if I had booked with EgyptAir direct! I'm going to check more carefully for my next flight :D

Yes, it does show only one bag on Travel republic website but when you go to My Bookings on Egyptair's site it will show as two bags.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I was about to open a new thread, but I had a feeling I'd written something about Egyptair and the baggage allowance not so long back. I was right so I've decided to use this old thread as it is relevant.

I have recently been searching flights to Luxor. I saw a reasonable price on eDreams and but then noticed there was only 1 hold baggage included in the deal for the direct London to Luxor journey. There was however 2 hold baggage included on the return journey. I queried this with them and they explained it was because it was a cheap deal. I pointed out to them that Egyptair generally allowed, for economy passengers, 2X23K Hold Baggage for International flights, and that I thought their reasoning was a bit odd.

Since then I checked out the Egyptair website and double, even triple checked their hold baggage allowance. International flights show as being 2x23K allowed. There is however a sentence at the bottom of the chart that states that some International flights will only get a 1x23K allowance. No where does it say which flights that applies to, although from other information on the site it could easily be thought that it applies in the possible case of the flight being on one of their code share partner flights. Having gone through the whole form filling process there is nothing to indicate how many bags are allowed specifically on the flight. However, having booked, and paid in full, I discover that the outbound flight allows for ...yup... only 1 x 23K bag. Again, on the return flight it shows 2 x 23K.

If you are booking a flight with Egyptair, and the baggage allowance is important to you, email them and check out all the conditions before you make your booking. You may save yourself a lot of time and hassle, and possibly some money too. I have emailed Customer Services and am now waiting a reply.
-Aldous Huxley

Billy_whiz

Post by Billy_whiz »

I fell into the same trap once before and it cost me £25 for the extra suitcase at the airport

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Iv'e just had a beer in my local at 1230am The Old China Hand an expat Rowena from Hong Kong has a 2am licence.

They have a new airport in Hurgharda it wasn't open I said 'no smoking in there then ? to 9 brits outside.
"No it's not open yet...
Anyhow lovely airport tip top security good job only 3 planes all day they couldn't handle a rush, that's for sure.
Easyjet full plane beer, rubbish bacon roll oh! and they were selling draught hieniken in a smoking bar upstairs in the airport.

All very civilised although I had them all in fits when I got the bloke to jump up and down on my carry-on, so I could carry-on,
if you get my drift.

The 3rd security check-point was when I pipped up with "if he puts on a rubber glove 'get worried, 'thank God for Richard Reed..... 8)

Ps: It's raining here in London, nice!
Pss: Almost forgot, I had my lemon slicing knife in my shoulder bag the first lot found it and said 'put in in there, my other bag.
Before the next round of security, where they kept sending my case back and forward, until I said
"Oh the knife ? I chucked it in the rubbish bin, over there, as your mates didn't want it when offered.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I emailed Egyptair Customer Services as soon as I had received the eTicket yesterday. This is their response:

Thank you for contacting Egyptair.

Egyptair introduced a new fare effective the 01st May 2015. It is a promotional fare, and whenever it is available, it is cheaper than the standard fare, but includes one bag only. A second bag can be purchased at the airport on the day of departure at a promotional price of GBP25.00 instead of the standard GBP95.00 per piece. (Under 23kgs.) Any third bag will be priced at the standard price, the promotional bag is for the second bag only.

When you book your flights, the system will offer different fares, if you click on the fare, it will detail at the bottom, what is included (baggage, mileage upgrade, refunds, changes, etc.) so you can select the fare which suits your needs best. The baggage allowance page has been updated, and at the bottom of the page you will see a remark: some international fares include 1 bag only.

The fare you chose on your outbound journey is the promotional fare, and the one on your return is a standard fare. If you need 2 bags on your outbound as well, you can purchase a second bag at the airport at GBP25.00. I have checked, and at the current availability, to change your ticket to a 2 bag allowance would cost an additional GBP46.00.

I hope this explanation helps.

I wish you a pleasant flight.

Alas, the system does not work as described above. I've even been through the whole process again today to check that I had not overlooked anything yesterday afternoon. No where was there any mention of a Promotional Fare. Each flight selected was as 'Economy class'. Once all my flights were selected there was a choice of 'Lowest Fare' (which I had selected because...) or 'All Fares' which came out at over £1,000!

With all the uproar about the decline in tourism to Egypt, you would think that the national airline would make sure that it's site is clear. I know I'm not the only on caught out by this. What annoys me is that I knew there were changes and yet I still got caught out by it. Needless to say, another email is in the inbox of Egyptair Customer Services.

:a23:
-Aldous Huxley

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

HEPZIBAH wrote: Each flight selected was as 'Economy class'. Once all my flights were selected there was a choice of 'Lowest Fare' (which I had selected because...) or 'All Fares' which came out at over £1,000!

Needless to say, another email is in the inbox of Egyptair Customer Services.

:a23:
That is strange! I do the exact same and can always bring two bags unless it is clear that it is a promotion, I cannot remember what they call that fare.

I hate to tell you that I have a lot of bad experience with Egyptair Customer Service online. I wish you the best of luck.

:a28: When are you coming to Luxor? :a44: