Cancelled.

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Cancelled.

Post by Scottishtourist » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:12 pm

Yesterday,my sister and I paid the outstanding balance for our Thomson holiday to Luxor in May.
Big sis was then later notified by e-mail that the holiday has been cancelled and Thomson have pulled the flight.Their flights will not resume until October.With all the distress at the moment regarding dad(he's still with us by the way!)neither of us have the mental energy to even consider Hurghada and the logistics of getting to Luxor,i.e.flights to Gatwick,overnights in travel lodge,flight to Hurghada,overnight there..then further travel to Luxor.Reckon we'd be exhausted on arrival and at this point in time we really don't need any more stress!

So..it was basically a question of sticking a pin in the map and changing our holiday.Something simple with easy access.
We're going to Spain.Not been there for over thirty years.

Much to Who2's delight,we will be joining the ranks of the sun,sea and sand brigade of Glasgow tourists and enjoying two weeks in a resort on Costa Brava on an all inclusive basis.

So for now..bye-bye Luxor and Egypt.
You are just too difficult to visit now for a majority of tourists.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Cancelled.

Post by A-Four » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:14 pm

Sorry to hear your holiday to Luxor has been cancelled Scottishtourist, I can not understand why. I do know that the British government has next week arranged a meeting with all airline that previously used any of Egypt's airports, inc British Airways. Whether some one has already leaked information to Thomson, I have no idea.

What I do know is that the authorities in Egypt has, or is about to install new highly sophisticated security systems at the very entry points of Cairo airport, where not only each and every person entering the compound, but so will every vehicle be checked. The cost of this new equipment has cost tens of millions of $. No exact price has been stated.

With regards to any of Egypt's provincial international airports I have heard nothing, we shall probably learn more next week.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:35 pm

Sorry your holiday to Egypt has been cancelled. It is disappointing when you have planned, booked, paid for, and been looking forward to a much earned break isn't it. I know, having been in that position myself not so long ago, although not as a result of the company cancelling. At least you have managed to find an alternative that is suitable to you and your sister.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:41 pm

I WAS looking forward to coming back A-Four.
But..there must be a reason as to why Thomson have cancelled the holiday.
Is it for security reasons?
Is it for lack of interest?
Is it for the fact that Luxor is no longer a tourist destination..and the flight/holiday is just no longer cost effective for them?

The holiday was really a great deal(too good to be true,perhaps)but it's now no longer going ahead.

If I actually had any "special person/friend"there to make my visit worthwhile..then maybe I would have pulled out all the stops and tried to re-schedule.
But..it is what it is!And there is no point in arguing the toss!

Viva Espana!Must brush up on my "higher"Spanish,attained at "Our Lady's Roman Catholic Secondary School" all those years ago.Grade B..buenos tardes!

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:55 pm

Well might be for the best ST I have just learnt that the Sheraton (where you were staying I believe) has been taken over by an Egyptian company. That might have something to do with it?

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:27 pm

carrie wrote:Well might be for the best ST I have just learnt that the Sheraton (where you were staying I believe) has been taken over by an Egyptian company. That might have something to do with it?
Not so sure Carrie, such companies as Thomson offer good contracts, and change of hotel ownership are usually happy to see through such contacts even if only on a one year basis.

I am a little surprised that ST was not offered an alternate hotel, or even a cruise and hotel stay in Luxor. Most people I know over the years, visit Luxor two or three times a year using ST's method, what will be their future?

It's more frustrating when we learn (from this forum) that Egypt's own national carrier, EgyptAir is differing these days about what luggage we can or can not bring.

I am also sorry to hear that The Sheraton has gone off the international standard, I'm not sure but I think that was the last one, I might be wrong.
Last edited by A-Four on Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:45 pm

A-Four wrote:
carrie wrote:Well might be for the best ST I have just learnt that the Sheraton (where you were staying I believe) has been taken over by an Egyptian company. That might have something to do with it?
Not so sure Carrie, such companies as Thomson offer good contracts, and change of hotel ownership are usually happy to see through such contacts even if only on a one year basis.

I am a little surprised that ST was not offered an alternate hotel, or even a cruise and hotel stay in Luxor. Most people I know over the years, visit Luxor two or three times a year using ST's method, what will be their future?

It's more frustrating when we read that even learn that Egypt's own national carrier, EgyptAir is differing these days about what luggage we can or can not bring.

If I read ST's original message the problem was with the flight, not the hotel. It is the flight that has been "pulled".

With even EgyptAir's weekly flight from Heathrow to Luxor running at only about 70% occupancy this winter it is no wonder that budget operators will try to fill their aluminium tubes elsewhere.

At the moment I cannot even find a budget Turkish Airlines flight to Hurghada.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:53 pm

Brian Yare wrote:
A-Four wrote:

It's more frustrating when we read that even learn that Egypt's own national carrier, EgyptAir is differing these days about what luggage we can or can not bring.

If I read ST's original message the problem was with the flight, not the hotel. It is the flight that has been "pulled".

With even EgyptAir's weekly flight from Heathrow to Luxor running at only about 70% occupancy this winter it is no wonder that budget operators will try to fill their aluminium tubes elsewhere.

At the moment I cannot even find a budget Turkish Airlines flight to Hurghada.
I think from my initial post Brian, I know what the situation is, but being that most people think I only post negative comments regarding Luxor's future, I thought I would put a little 'spin' on the subject.

Who knows maybe one day we shall see little green shoots, as Norman Lamont called them, spring through in the Western Desert. :wi .

hatusu
Egypt

Post by hatusu » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:19 am

A guest at the hotel came out here on the Thomson flight on Wednesday. She said there were only about 30 people on the plane.
I would think this is the reason, as when it gets to May, the numbers will be dwindling even further due to the heat.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:40 am

When I look around at what's happening in the world today....when I look at what's happening in Egypt, or even Luxor, I find myself underwhelmed by the cancellation of one UK direct flight to Luxor, halfway through what is already a moribund season.

A sense of proportion wouldn't go amiss.

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:00 am

Thomsons did the same thing to a group of passengers who had even checked in for their flight at Gatwick last summer. I'm surprised anyone would book a holiday with them after the complaints made on BBC's Rip off Britain Holiday series. Oh yes they also still 'screw' the single traveller with horrendous supplement fees for anywhere on their network.

ST If you wanted to come to Luxor why didn't you book Egyptair's direct flight on a Monday? It's been done to death on this forum.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:20 am

crewmeal wrote: ST If you wanted to come to Luxor why didn't you book Egyptair's direct flight on a Monday? It's been done to death on this forum.

I would guess because its more expensive than the very good deal she had already posted she had got for a flight, hotel b+b with thomson. Factor in the cost of getting from scotland to Heathrow for that direct flight and it turns into an expensive trip, and if using the cheapest travel, ie a national express coach... a very long trip

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:56 am

Factor in the cost of getting from scotland to Heathrow for that direct flight and it turns into an expensive trip, and if using the cheapest travel, ie a national express coach... a very long trip
True but remember Thomson only fly from Gatwick on this route which is even more of a pain to get to. I've used Holidays please and Orbital Travel for my holidays and found a week's stay a much much cheaper option than Thomsons, but based on the Egyptair flight on Monday.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:59 am

Robbo70 wrote:
crewmeal wrote: ST If you wanted to come to Luxor why didn't you book Egyptair's direct flight on a Monday? It's been done to death on this forum.

I would guess because its more expensive than the very good deal she had already posted she had got for a flight, hotel b+b with thomson. Factor in the cost of getting from scotland to Heathrow for that direct flight and it turns into an expensive trip, and if using the cheapest travel, ie a national express coach... a very long trip
You've hit the nail on the head Robbo.
Those were basically the reasons we decided against flying with another airline.

We also now prefer a "package"where transfers,etc are included...and if any other incident transpired have the knowledge that Thomson would make preparation to get us home.
Plus,all the travelling to actually get there would probably take up a few days of a relatively short two week holiday.
Much easier just to forego it for the moment and maybe check later in the year.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:36 pm

I thought once a flight had been arranged it could not be cancelled, obviously the wrong information. Hope you are given a new destination ST, for you R&R.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:01 pm

Major Thom wrote:I thought once a flight had been arranged it could not be cancelled, obviously the wrong information. Hope you are given a new destination ST, for you R&R.
Hi MT.

Last flight/holiday with Thomson seems to be in April.
And cost of package to Steingenberger Hotel is £200 more expensive.

That's a lot of extra dosh to find.
We could've got trip to Hurghada via Travel Republic..but we didn't really enjoy it much last time round!

I suppose it does actually all depend on disposable income.
I enjoyed Luxor..but am unwilling to put up with any additional hassle to get there.Let's face facts.I have no Egyptian husband waiting there for me,nor any Egyptian family whose life will benefit from me being there!Yes..I have friends..but quite honestly,their lives go on whether I'm there or not.

We are at mercy of airline companies..and if they "pull"the flight and package..then most tourists will find an alternative.

jcoote

Post by jcoote » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:21 pm

hatusu wrote:A guest at the hotel came out here on the Thomson flight on Wednesday. She said there were only about 30 people on the plane.
I would think this is the reason, as when it gets to May, the numbers will be dwindling even further due to the heat.
On the 24th January I spoke with Thomson staff to enquire as to why the holiday we had booked with them to Luxor for the 4th May had gone from their website. They told me that it was because they had consolidated their Egypt flights, the seats were now fully booked, and that our planned holiday would take place as normal. Then came the email!!

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:04 pm

I suppose that at least the airlines can look on the bright side as the way things are going with the visa's there will be plenty of full flights going out. :cg
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:43 am

Hi ST,

Well there is one thing from your last post you must be pleased about.... :lol: You don't need an Egyptian husband to greet you or a family to put you up, if I were a woman I would be looking for enjoy the historic sites or R&R. It's only those who have money to burn or want maybe to get out of a ghastly marriage, or have been ill treated that come here looking for a golden boy who is willing to empty their purses of money and fill their other purses.

It always amazes me that a Country in recession is not competing but instead raises the prices, maybe that's a reason why tourists are not coming. I personally would sooner have 300 rooms full at 20GBP tha only have 10 rooms full ar 30GBP per night. It adds to the atmosphere of the Hotel and also gives work to local people. This applies even more out of season.

At the moment you are not missing much the City is like a graveyard, apart from visitors doing an overnight or 2 day stay. I am afraid it will be like that for a number of yeas to come, or to be honest a generation to come. I hope you enjoy Spain though, they say there is always plenty to do. I have never been to Spain mainland only to Majorca and the Canaries.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:52 am

You're right MT. Raising the prices is rarely the answer to dwindling custom. As ST's friend found.

He might have had better luck if he'd pitched his wares a bit more cheaply.

As an afficionado of highbrow TV, you must have seen the "Benidorm " series. The bartender there shows how it's done Spanish-style, although his taste was more towards bikini-clad bimbos than attention -seeking matrons.