Cancelled.

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Cancelled.

Post by Major Thom » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:26 pm

To me it's not bragging or trying to impress, giving things that you no longer require, it's me helping my community when I can in the same way they help us from time to time. Maybe others might try it, and get the same feeling of community satisfaction.

There are plenty of charities around to help the people, but they do not seem to extend to our village, so our village runs its own charity system among the people that live here.

I no longer have anything to brag about Carrie, I got shut of all that to come and live here. Maybe just one thing, we are going back to Australia for a holiday later this year. :lol:

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:52 pm

Giving in itself is of course, not boasting. :up

Talking about it, especially in a public place - is however. :st
Smile! It confuses people

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:09 pm

Maybe some others do give but don't feel it necessary to broadcast it to the world.
As for "the community" you live amongst how many times have you complained on here about all the money people have to keep building, that there are no poor Egyptians.
You don't make yourself part of the community by spreading your largesse but by living a quiet respectable life, not causing any problems in your community and treating the people with respect and giving them the dignity they deserve.
I hope you enjoy your holiday in Aussy land just remember that the Aussies hate bragging boasting poms.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:56 pm

Scottishtourist wrote:Much to Who2's delight,we will be joining the ranks of the sun,sea and sand brigade of Glasgow tourists and enjoying two weeks in a resort on Costa Brava on an all inclusive basis.
Major Thom wrote:I no longer have anything to brag about Carrie, I got shut of all that to come and live here. Maybe just one thing, we are going back to Australia for a holiday later this year. :lol:
I am planning another summer holiday in a cosy cottage in the Norwegian archipelago. It is so beautiful up there, it always reminds me of Assuan, well it is the other way around... Ooh, and I shall be going there next month, on a dahabeya!

:cheer:

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:19 pm

I've been harbouring the idea of taking a dahabiya to Aswan for years.

Which company/operator are you going with Bennu ?

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:27 pm

newcastle wrote:I've been harbouring the idea of taking a dahabiya to Aswan for years.

Which company/operator are you going with Bennu ?
I am not sure - a friend is organising it.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:45 pm

I guess I have to explain to you MT that people may have pride and not want everyone to know their "new" clothes are actually your castoffs. People in the West are rich enough to not be embarrassed by people knowing they got a good deal on their jeans from a charity shop, but Egyptians are different. Even the poorest will try to have at least one nice outfit to wear, but they would rather people think they bought it than got it used as a gift.

As for getting bread in exchange for your castoffs, that's not anything special and it's not support or charity, it's the same kind of reciprocal hospitality practiced between the locals themselves. Someone comes to visit you, they might actually bring you something you hate and don't even want, but you have to accept it and gift them something of equal value next time around. It's not happening in your village because there are no charities, this is just what the people do and have done so since forever. It's sort of like Christmas gifts, but all year round. Got it?

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:06 pm

When I was a 'nipper I regularly found 1s 9p outside a garage, I had no idea is was their milk-money I was stealing.
Years later I used to regularly hide money around and replace it when found missing.
Why ? 'purely for the 'rush that I used to get as a kid at finding money, simples really, it just makes people happy.. :cool:
'many a true knight is never known'
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.