Aswan-Cairo train crash

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Aswan-Cairo train crash

Post by Brian Yare » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:18 pm

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... Cairo.aspx

Around 70 wounded as train derails south of Cairo

An official said that most of those wounded suffered light injuries and will be discharged from hospitals later today

Ahram Online , Thursday 11 Feb 2016

A Cairo-bound train derailed and overturned in the Egyptian governorate of Beni Suef on Thursday, leaving at least 69 people injured, the health ministry said.

The train, which departed from the southern governorate of Aswan, collided with a cement barrier at a rail intersection early Thursday after the train’s brakes failed to respond.

The impact with the barrier caused the train to go off the rails and partially turn over, a security official told state news agency MENA.

Deputy health minister Gamal El-Gohary said 69 people were wounded in the crash and sent to three local hospitals in the region. He said the relatively slow speed the train was travelling at reduced the magnitude of the crash.

Mohamed Mohsen, the train's assistant driver, said the train’s brakes stopped working as it approached a connection rail at 80kph speed.

Around 40 ambulances were sent to the scene of the accident, Ahram Arabic news website reported. Train services have been halted in both directions as cranes were sent to winch the derailed train.

An official at the provincial governor office told Ahram Arabic that most of those wounded suffered light injuries including bruises and scratches and are set to be discharged from hospitals later in the day.

Egypt's roads and railways are notorious for poor infrastructure and maintenance.

The country's official statistics agency said in December that over 2,800 people were killed in road and train crashes in Egypt in the first half of 2015.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Aswan-Cairo train crash

Post by newcastle » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:08 pm

Over 2800 killed....?

WELL OVER.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:45 am

13911.... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:56 am

Terrible, who pays the medical bills in these cases? With of a population of around 95,000,000 people, 2800 killed on roads and and other traffic related accidents is not too bad, but still abysmal. Yes the roads are very poor and investment is required urgently, I agree entirely, but road layouts have also created big problems, and under trained drivers and motorcyclists, have a big share in these deaths, along with poorly maintained vehicles that do not have to go under yearly investigations and testing like most Countries.

I can only comment on Luxor, but there are still between 75 and 80% of motorists that ignore traffic lights and road signs, in which case they can only blame themselves for injuries and deaths. Of course the other problem is these offenders really need to be brought to justice by the Traffic Police. I have always been an advocate of road safety and correct training no matter where I live. A simulator is of some use, but it does not simulate road conditions and traffic conditions, only practical training can do this.

I wonder how many motorists know the rules for Pedestrian Crossings? and what a NO OVERTAKING road sign looks like, how many know the dangers of undertaking, how many know what mirrors are for, or the reason its important to maintain rear stop lights and indicators, and most of all how many know that lights should always be used during the hours of darkness. How many know the importance of keeping a vehicle in road worthy condition. All these things and many more contribute to early deaths and injuries, and all could be mostly prevented.