Museum Photos Allowed Again

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Museum Photos Allowed Again

Post by Winged Isis »

Good news:

After the successful trial period to allow non-flash photography in the Egyptian museum in Cairo which was announced by the former minister of antiquities, Dr. Mamdouh El-Damaty, in August for the period from 1st of December 2015 till 7th of January 2016.

The minister took the bold decision to encourage tourists to visit the museum which proved success.

On his visit to Luxor museum in early February, Luxor Times asked Dr. Mamdouh El-Damaty, when photography will be allowed in Luxor museum and immediately the minister called Dr. Elham Salah (head of museums sector) and told her "That's a valid suggestion and we should work on it."

Dr. Elham responded that it is planned to allow photography in Luxor Museum and soon in all museums in Egypt.

The idea became a reality a few days ago when Luxor museum allowed photography with no flash for a ticket for 50 Egyptian pounds.

Read more: http://luxortimesmagazine.blogspot.com. ... m.html?m=1

Carpe diem! :le:

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Museum Photos Allowed Again

Post by newcastle »

A long overdue move.

I'd have called it "sensible" rather than "bold" :)

Photography in UK museums has been the norm for years. The main reason for restrictions is one of "security"....the possibility of criminals "casing the joint" prior to a theft.

I was in the V. & A. a few days ago where photography is generally allowed - but not in rooms displaying jewellery.

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Would the French allow tourists to flash the mona lisa with no controls. i assume that some objects are damaged by thousands of flash photographs - not the photo but the flash - and there should be controls on photography. is this too much to ask?

Extreme flash photography must have a negative effect on some coloured objects it is only my laziness which prevents me from finding some evidence for this.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Not sure what your point is Hafiz.

The permission is for non-flash photography.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Hafiz wrote:Would the French allow tourists to flash the mona lisa with no controls. i assume that some objects are damaged by thousands of flash photographs - not the photo but the flash - and there should be controls on photography. is this too much to ask?

Extreme flash photography must have a negative effect on some coloured objects it is only my laziness which prevents me from finding some evidence for this.
Yes it can, and I don't advocate flash photography. I always turn off both flash and sound, as the latter can be annoying when wanting to contemplate something wonderful.

And, what newcastle said.
Carpe diem! :le:

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

There has been a lot of scientific analysis performed on the effect of flash on pigments and the results show that the effect is very small indeed........but it is cumulative and irreversible. The concern is that many thousands of flash exposures over many years might lead to some degradation in the pigments of pictures and fabrics.....and we're talking about unique, irreplaceable works of art.

Museums usually keep light-sensitive items under controlled artificial lighting, recognising that sunlight does have an effect over time.

As WI inferred, there is also the irritating effect on other visitors of flashes going off left, right and centre. I think this is, for many museum, a much more cogent reason. There's little in the Luxor Museum which would, in reality, be damaged by flash....and painted coffins etc. could be segregated....but, personally, I would find flashes an unnecessary intrusion which affected MY enjoyment of the museum.

Most museums will permit the occasional flash photography of an item for professional purposes if necessary.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

When I went to Egyptian museum last year camera's where taken from us at the entrance but it was surprising how many people where taking photos with their phones and tablets. No one seemed to bother.
I tend to remember things much better if I don't take a photo suppose I am more concerned with the photo than the item I am looking at.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

carrie wrote: I tend to remember things much better if I don't take a photo suppose I am more concerned with the photo than the item I am looking at.
Snap!