Karnak Rave!!

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Karnak Rave!!

Post by newcastle » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:24 pm

Egypt's chief trance decknicians Aly & Fila are taking a break from spinning the globe into a frenzy to hit the Karnak Temple in Luxor on October 7th. With their sizzling and avant-garde beats, they shall enthrall millions ( yeah...right! ) of electronic music fans from across the world and breathe life into the Pharaonic temple! The Weekender Special is to commemorate the duo's 450th episode of their radio show Future Sound of Egypt, and it is set to embark all those present on a music-induced haze by the duo and an impressive lineup of up-and-coming Egyptian trance DJs. The last edition of their Future Sound of Egypt event took place at the pyramids where their oriental tunes-infused trance music sent mystical ecstasy through everyone.

(the 'real' stuff may not be available :lol: )

I'd be amazed if this gets off the ground. An ominous feature is that the booking site doesn't seem to work....although that's par for the course in these sorts of promotions in Egypt, and possibly explains why most get cancelled :(

http://www.cairoscene.com/Buzz/Aly-Fila ... nak-Temple

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Karnak Rave!!

Post by Horus » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:36 pm

So now we need to “breath life” into a tourist attraction that appeals to most people because of its association with the dead, the mind boggles. :st

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:54 pm

Don't think I will be attending but nice to know thy are the original authors of War and Peace.
Learn something new everyday or do you :?:

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:20 pm

TRANCE. Hey! That conjures up a few things of vision :lol: We see it everyday in Luxor, hey Man I am in a Trance!! :lol: can't see and don't care......

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:24 pm

You see.....now you're leaving it's all hip and happening in Luxor :lol:

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:33 pm

newcastle wrote:You see.....now you're leaving it's all hip and happening in Luxor :lol:
Everyone was just biding their time, :lol: :lol:

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:02 pm

phpBB [video]

ALY & FILA'S FSOE400

In 2015, the Egyptian duo Aly & Fila decided to take things to the next level with their FSOE 400 celebrations. They decided to take these events to as many as 11 countries around the world – Australia, Argentina, Guatemala, Mexico, United States, Egypt, Tunisia, Czech Republic, Belarus, Taiwan and Poland. Every event had amazing lineups and some amazing crowds.

Tour dates
Aug 04: Split Beach Festival, Split, Croatia
Aug 06: Groove Club, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Aug 07: Groove Club, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Aug 12: Trancegression, Schlicht., Braunschweig , Germany
Aug 13: Dreambeach Festival, Almeira, Spain
Aug 13: FSOE Love Mobile with Synergy Events, Zurich Street Parade, Zurich, Switzerland
Aug 14: Ekwador, Poznan, Poland
Aug 26: TBA Asia
Aug 26: Summer Plus Festival, Shenzhen , China
Aug 27: Lush, Portrush, Belfast
Aug 28: Creamfields, Daresbury, England
Sep 01: Cream, Amnesia, Ibiza
Sep 03: Arcadia Festival, Jamsil Olympic Stadium, Seoul, Korea
Sep 09: Open to Close, Festival Hall, Melbourne, Australia
Sep 10: Open to Close, Metro Theatre, Sydney , Australia
Sep 15: Cream, Amnesia, Ibiza
Oct 01: Goodgreef & Rong presents FSOE 450, Victoria Warehouse, Manchester, England
Oct 06: FSOE 450, Nile Pool Party , Luxor, Egypt
Oct 07: FSOE 450 , Karnak Temple, Luxor, Egypt
Oct 29: FSOE 450 , International Convention Center, Kaohsiung, Taiwan

Future Sound of Egypt, the label of Egyptian trance duo Aly & Fila, joined forces with Dutch record company Armada Music in late 2010. The label, set up in February 2009, is home to high quality trance releases by some of the world’s most talented and passionate producers. Aly & Fila: “With the Armada team behind us, we feel Future Sound of Egypt Recordings can grow at an ever-expanding pace, and can help boost the label amongst the best in the scene.”

Aly Amr Fathalah and Fadi Wassef Naguib, working under the Aly & Fila guise, became known for their characteristic, uplifting trance sound. Tracks such as ‘Eye of Horus’, ‘We Control The Sunlight’, ‘Coming Home’ and remixes for the likes of Armin van Buuren, Gareth Emery, Max Graham and Lange, turned Aly & Fila into one of the most popular producer duo’s in the dance scene. Having a keen ear for new talent and good music, Aly & Fila started Future Sound of Egypt with the mission of helping build and strengthen the trance scene and sharing their love for the genre, with an Egyptian flavour. Aly & Fila: “We are very proud to be from Egypt and we also feature other artists from Egypt on the label. The Egyptian theme is unlike anything done before.”

FSOE is home to Arctic Moon, Fady & Mina, Ian Standerwick, Neptune Project, Bjorn Akesson, & many more!
http://www.armadamusic.com/label/future-sound-of-egypt/

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:45 pm

Everyone and me to Horus

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:38 pm

Newcastle - you are a retired broiled Brit on the coast. :D You should stop reading the racy cairoscene - it is too exciting for you-its advice on what's latest in Cairo night life will turn your, (possibly) stiff, neck. The locals are excited enough, they don't need someone in bloomers and a pith helmet to push them over the edge into an orgy of western decadence. Pull yourself together! :D Get a stiff upper lip. Remember the Empire. Sing Elgar's Gerontias in the morning. Its an anti-aphrodisiac.

On a completely different note i heard a BBC World Service doco on the Ballbeck festival in Lebanon in the 50's and 60's. Krajan, Ella Fitzgerald and Schrawzkopf and the forum that launched Fayrouz. A long way from the third raters who now perform in front of middle Eastern monuments - including Egypt. Lest some suggest that times are bad, some of them sung in the 50's and 60's guarded by thousands of military. The audience of the time were still determined to be connected with the best of the West whatever the beards said.

I can only assume that current political arrangements in Egypt will attract a class of performer to suit the times. Can I suggest Eimen and his very small personal attributes as a contrast to real, and large, Egyptian historical achievement. :lol:

Imagine a time when, once, Ella Fitzgerald, sang in the Middle East framed by the Roman ruins of Ballbek.Will those days return? Does anyone remember who Ella was? Is Jazz halal?

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:00 pm

Hafiz wrote:Newcastle - you are a retired broiled Brit on the coast. :D You should stop reading the racy cairoscene - it is too exciting foy you-its advice on what's latest in Cairo night life will turn your, stiff, head. The locals are excited enough, they don't need someone in bloomers and a pith helmet to put them over the edge into an orgy of western decadence. Pull yourself together! :D Get an upper lip. Remember the Empire. Sing Elgar's Gerontias in the morning. Its an anti-aphrodisiac.

Go boil your head Hafiz :vs I suspect I've lived more of a "clubbing life" in an average week than you have in your entire life. Most weekends in London were spent in a club not far from Who2's Tardis. Then, I retired early to spend a hedonistic decade in Ibiza. I came to Egypt for peace & quiet....and wouldn't be seen dead in what passes for a nightclub or an "event" here :lol:

On a completely different note i heard a BBC World Service doco on the Ballbeck festival in Lebanon in the 50's and 60's. Krajan, Ella Fitzgerald and Schrawzkopf and the forum that launched Fayrouz. A long way from the third raters who now perform in front of middle Eastern monuments - including Egypt. Lest some suggest that times are bad, some of them sung in the 50's and 60's guarded by thousands of military. The audience of the time were still determined to be connected with the best of the West. I can only assume that current political arrangements in Egypt will attract a class of performer to suit the times. Can I suggest Eimen and his very small personal attributes as a contrast to real Egyptian historical achievement. :lol:

Imagine a time when, once, Ella Fitzgerald, sang in the Middle East framed by the Roman ruins of Ballbek.Will those days return? Does anyone remember who Ella was? Is Jazz halal?
I remember Ella...wonderful voice. Jazz is quite popular in Cairo & Alex. A lot of Egyptians I know still hanker for the atonal offerings of Umm Kolthoum etc. Even their versions of western talent shows ( is no format sacred?) feature the same style of singing...unappealing to my ear I'm afraid

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:31 pm

Hafiz wrote: i heard a BBC World Service doco on the Ballbeck festival in Lebanon in the 50's and 60's. Krajan, Ella Fitzgerald and Schrawzkopf and the forum that launched Fayrouz. A long way from the third raters who now perform in front of middle Eastern monuments - including Egypt. Lest some suggest that times are bad, some of them sung in the 50's and 60's guarded by thousands of military. The audience of the time were still determined to be connected with the best of the West whatever the beards said.

Does anyone know who Bob James is? Jean-Michel Jarre? Lisa Simone? They are among this month's third raters performing by the ruins of Baalbek, whatever the beards say.

phpBB [video]

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:27 pm

I'd love to see Jean Michel Jarre perform at somewhere like Karnak....or, perhaps better, Luxor Temple or Deir el Bahari.

I'd have thought there'd be wide enough interest in Egypt for electronic music combined with light & laser technology.

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:27 pm

Jarre - a great composer - really - for films, with the music kept in the background and supporting the visual image. He did a lot for Uk cinema. Oh hell its an Olympic year why not do a Jarre. His music goes well with booze and light shows.

Bennu - Lisa Simone. Thanks for the info - I didn't know that the incomparble Nina had a daughter until you mentioned her. If she has 10% of her mothers talent I will be very happy as I forage youtubes on her. For my money the raw theatricality of Nina greatly exceeds the smooth elegant talents of Ella.

Bars and nightclubs - I've known a few hundred but obviously not as many as others who have tread, or stumbled over, the 'light fantastic'. Sadly, I've only remembered about one in ten of the places I've been. :) I've always deferred to those who remember their nightlife although I've usually been underwhelmed by their recollections. :roll: The really good stories were usually the ones you didn't want to broadcast or brag about.

Newcastle - until a few years ago Cairo was humming with up market Jazz, funk, soul and southern rock. Nowadays the misnamed Cairo Jazz club hums with only moronic techno-trash. Although I have not been there, the El Sawy Culture Wheel offers indulged Cairenes a slim glimpse into western modern music. The Western art gallery that recently fell to the ground after a visit from the Men from the Ministry used to do a line in Jazz and soul. But what would I know - I haven't been out of the house for 20 years whilst others have been gourmandes of nightlife in all the world capitals. :roll:

To my limited ear the great Kalthoum and her (near endless) 'improvisations' owed a lot to modern jazz techniques.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:48 pm

The last time I tried to listen to Umm Kolthoun, I fell asleep waiting for her to start singing.

The musical intro (what is that screechy violin thingy?) went on....and on....and on....and on.... :58:

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:53 pm

Some want their pleasures over in a flash whilst others fall asleep before they have begun. :) A long screechy introduction may not always be a bad thing - depends who is screeching - and if you can stay awake.

Don't know about the instrument but suspect it was a high pitch lute/oud and some bad recording technique/microphoness. Will listen more closely next time and report.

Kolthoum/Kalthousm did keep it short and quick for some (very few) of her songs. Maybe these were for the colonials who preferred their pleasures brief. :? If I can work out how to post MP3 files I will post a few but I agree the 1 hour single songs stretched pleasure beyond the pain/boredom factor. I think its true that some originally extended beyond 1 hour but that the historical recordings we have left are only the longest that could fit on an LP at that time. In any event another reason for the long songs, besides tradition, might be that her fame was based on weekly 1 hour radio broadcasts where the 1 song, 1 hour format might have worked. 10 songs a week might have been more than she could produce. Who knows. In the 50's maybe it wasn't just the king and they were all high or drunk and didn't notice the passage of time? Many of those listeners thought their song would never end.

Its interesting, or not, that the later modern Arabic (now mainly Lebanese) divas have stuck to western 3-6 minute formats which is as long as any modern pleasure could or should last. :oops:

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:00 am

Now Jarre and Karnak Temple, I would queue for days for a ticket.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:29 am

If I can work out how to post MP3 files I will post a few
Hafiz, if you click on the 'Full Editor' option below the text box, you will see the option to add various fille types (including MP3) to your posts ;)

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:46 am

Hafiz wrote:[Some want their pleasures over in a flash whilst others fall asleep before they have begun. :)] A long screechy introduction may not always be a bad thing - depends who is screeching - and if you can stay awake.

Don't know about the instrument but suspect it was a high pitch lute/oud and some bad recording technique/microphoness. Will listen more closely next time and report.

Kolthoum/Kalthousm did keep it short and quick for some (very few) of her songs. Maybe these were for the colonials who preferred their pleasures brief. :? If I can work out how to post MP3 files I will post a few but I agree the 1 hour single songs stretched pleasure beyond the pain/boredom factor. I think its true that some originally extended beyond 1 hour but that the historical recordings we have left are only the longest that could fit on an LP at that time. In any event another reason for the long songs, besides tradition, might be that her fame was based on weekly 1 hour radio broadcasts where the 1 song, 1 hour format might have worked. 10 songs a week might have been more than she could produce. Who knows. In the 50's maybe it wasn't just the king and they were all high or drunk and didn't notice the passage of time? Many of those listeners thought their song would never end.

Its interesting, or not, that the later modern Arabic (now mainly Lebanese) divas have stuck to western 3-6 minute formats which is as long as any modern pleasure could or should last. :oops:
Are you suggesting that newcastle is a one minute wonder and has, on the odd occasion, fallen asleep on the job? :D
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.