Phone TopUp's

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Gulliver

Phone TopUp's

Post by Gulliver » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:53 am

Earlier in the year I purchased, in Luxor, an Egyptian Vodaphone sim card and following advice from this Forum I have accessed the network, whilst here in the UK, each month to keep it 'active'.
I am due back in Luxor in a few weeks and will need to add credit to the phone when back in Luxor.
Do I need to bring back the Vodaphone Sim Receipt to show when purchasing addition credit and also will I need to show my passport ??
Many thanks

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Re: Phone TopUp's

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:11 am

I'm impressed that you have managed to keep your sim active since returning to the UK. I've never managed to it with my mobinil sim.

Normally, to top up a phone credit you just go to any shop that sells phone cards - it doesn't have to be the Vodaphone shop. You buy a scratch card for the amount you require and then log the number into your phone. You don't need receipts or passport for this. That being said, it has been a couple of years since I was last there but I've not heard different since.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Gulliver

Post by Gulliver » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:08 am

Many thanks for the advice.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:08 am

Hepzibah's right.

Your SIM appears still to be active and you should be able to add credit either at at Vodaphone shop or with scratch cards in the usual way.

I use Vodaphone myself and have occasionally had issues with the SIM being blocked and Vodaphone requiring me to re-present my passport details. This seems to happen quite randomly (despite having bought the SIM initially with my passport!) and I mention it in case , when attempting to use your phone, you get a message in Arabic....and cannot make a call.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:46 am

So true Newcastle, I bought my sim card from Vodafone with my passport and have had to go back 3 times to get it re-activated. No problem really just the wait in the Vodafone shop can be a hassle.
Getting a top up is very easy and you can do it from any shop that displays the Vodafone or Mobinil logo.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:19 pm

Mobile Cards after the application of the law of value added tax that was approved by Parliament finally published in the official Gazette last Thursday, gonna get up to 22.3 % is divided into 13 % VAT, 8 % tax. Provocative, goods, and the rest a business taxes as diverse as the tax imprint and succession.
Following the prices for groups of different cards. After the expected increase
The Card Class 10 pounds is sold at a price of £ 12.5
The Card class £ 25 sold for the price of £ 30.5
The Card class £ 50 sold for the price of £ 61.5
The Card class £ 100 sold for the price of £ 122.5

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:27 pm

I don't know how the Egyptians are coping with all these constant price hikes.
All I can think of is... when is the next revolution? :a82:

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:38 pm

DJKeefy wrote: All I can think of is... when is the next revolution? :a82:
That's something else they can ill afford :cg

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:57 am

Big increases in the price of sugar at the moment which is angering a lot of folk for obvious reasons, being an important part of their daily intake of all things sweet. I was told the other day that they were told that the Army had removed one of the most popular brands of baby/infant powdered milk from all shelves. This cost 17Le per container. Now it has been replaced with the Army's own brand selling for 27Le for the same weight. I was also told that if a nursing mother requires the free four packs of this milk for free, which in the past were entitled to, they first have to go to the clinic to prove that they are unable to produce natural milk for the baby. If dry, then they get a note enabling them to get the dry milk free. I see storm clouds forming on the horizon.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:45 am

One of the most important things any country must do is to care for the well-being of babies and infants, they are the next generation and good care at an early stage will ensure that they grow up healthy. Although with the sugar, if the intake is reduced through cost then it may prove to be a blessing in disguise. ;)

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:46 am

Dusak wrote:Big increases in the price of sugar at the moment which is angering a lot of folk for obvious reasons, being an important part of their daily intake of all things sweet. I was told the other day that they were told that the Army had removed one of the most popular brands of baby/infant powdered milk from all shelves. This cost 17Le per container. Now it has been replaced with the Army's own brand selling for 27Le for the same weight. I was also told that if a nursing mother requires the free four packs of this milk for free, which in the past were entitled to, they first have to go to the clinic to prove that they are unable to produce natural milk for the baby. If dry, then they get a note enabling them to get the dry milk free. I see storm clouds forming on the horizon.
I was told a different reason for requiring the mothers to undergo a breast examination and obtain a smart card for the subsidised powder

Apparently it's not unusual for the packs to be bought up by unscrupulous parties and sold for substantial profit to confectionery factories.

"The new regulations were introduced after recent protests over formula shortages and price hikes, which culminated in the military intervening and announcing they would import the formula, for which the first shipment is set to arrive on September 15. The military, in coordination with the Health Ministry, is set to sell the formula for LE30, a 50 percent markdown on the current market price.

The new regulations also come at time when multiple ministries have come under fire for their inability to control powerful commodity merchants and root out corruption, most notably in the case of the recent wheat scandal"

http://www.madamasr.com/news/economy/br ... h-ministry

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:54 am

I cannot see any problem with people having to prove that they are entitled to a subsidised or free product, especially if corruption exists with it’s distribution. Profiteering exists in many countries and it is not uncommon to see gift aided goods on sale in many African countries, it is this sort of thievery that often brings a genuine attempt by governments to help the poorer people into disrepute.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:48 pm

I always thought an Army's duty was to protect the nation not produce baby formula.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:52 pm

carrie wrote:I always thought an Army's duty was to protect the nation not produce baby formula.
Ah, but the army in Egypt has it’s fingers in many pies. ;)

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:15 pm

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Normally, to top up a phone credit you just go to any shop that sells phone cards - it doesn't have to be the Vodaphone shop.
If you do go to the big Vodafone shop, you may have to wait for a very, very long time for something that would otherwise take a few seconds. Some shops will top up for you electronically and you immediately get an SMS confirmation. :ai

hatusu
Egypt

Post by hatusu » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:32 pm

If you are on the West Bank the man in the small Vodafone shop in the village here is most helpful and efficient, and speaks excellent English. (in fact the amount of time in the past, before this shop opened, when Ive had to queue in the main Vodafone shop for the best part of an hour on some occasions you could be quicker coming over here even if you ARE situated on the East Bank)

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:13 pm

The man in the small shop just before Akhar the baker is very efficient about doing my occasional top-ups.

hatusu
Egypt

Post by hatusu » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:03 pm

Brian Yare wrote:The man in the small shop just before Akhar the baker is very efficient about doing my occasional top-ups.
That shop's no longer there.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:29 pm

Yes it is just been in there. The Internet shop has gone but not the one further up from the bakers.
Or before depending on which way you approach.

hatusu
Egypt

Post by hatusu » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:39 pm

Thanks Carrie. I obviously havent taken enough notice but there is so much building work going on in /around the bakery I have enough on in this heat (brain fade) just trying to work out where the entrance is!