Tarting up

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Tarting up

Post by carrie »

Hepzibah asked last week if anything was being done in Luxor in anticipation of next weeks visit. Well all the lamp posts have now been painted gold and black. The ferry has been cleaned up and no smoking stickers stuck all over the boats (admittedly they are quickly disappearing and being ignored). On the Corniche the little walls round the trees have been repainted in a delightful shade of white and the brightest green I have ever seen. :roll:
Tomorrow I have to go to Station Street I will look to see if that has been improved. The kerb stones have yet to be painted nor the road signs in the middle of the road.
The Emily, well work has been going on for a couple of weeks trying, I think, to re-float her but as yet no luck.
I can't say that Luxor is looking spruce and smart, attempts are being made though.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Re: Tarting up

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Thanks Carrie. I've read somewhere that El Presidento is going to pay a visit so I'm sure they will be doing more than just a quick spruce up for the tourism delegation now. ;)
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

In the East End vernacular "Your havin a giraffe" aint'ch yah?
Bet he dosen't turn up, then we can all get back to normal life....8)

Ps: 'John Lennons coming next month....
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

He's supposed to be coming on Tuesday, I await in eager anticipation.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

I'm sure the poor would prefer the money spent on them rather than paint. Any decent president genuinely trying to improve his people's lot would refuse any tarting up to be allowed. He'll probably be whizzed past so fast in his fancy car he won't even notice it anyway, if he actually goes near it.
Carpe diem! :le:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Personally I think that the ''spruce up'' is a complete waste of the tax payers money, now that most are paying them. Drove along the side of the avenue of the Sphinx the other day, every building is being rendered if needed, then painted, just for a visit to open the second flyover bridge. The money would of been better spent to counter act the sugar shortage the locals are having to contend with.Then flyover number three starts.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Tarting up? Where are they doing this? I suppose you mean painting kerbs, cutting trees and the usual stuff. I really cannot understand why they spend the money, because in my experience everything is back to normal a few days later. It surely would be better for the President to see his Cities in their normal state, to see for himself where money needs investing. There are far more places than Cairo. He would also see just how much money is required for the future. I suppose in some ways it does provide a bit of temporary work, so maybe some good done. It would be nice though if the City was kept like that all the time.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Head up in the clouds again ?

A beggar I know who's in the know reckons he's coming this saturday!
And if you haven't noticed the millions spent then what sort of sherlock holmes were you ?

Plus all the new police cars and quadruple smartly dressed incomers... 8)

Ps: Oh!....Every-time her Maj uses her loo it's repainted, pastel this pastel that and subtle hues for the poos...
Sophocles.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Who2 wrote:
Ps: Oh!....Every-time her Maj uses her loo it's repainted, pastel this pastel that and subtle hues for the poos...
:lol:

I seem to recall Princess Anne once being quoted along the lines of 'When the Queen (or it may have been Princess Diana as she was at the time) is invited to unveil a plaque she experiences the smell of a newly erected building. I on the other hand only experience the smell of a new lick of paint.'
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

phpBB [video]
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I remember a programme years ago about the Queen's visit to a coal mine. The slag heaps were turfed over. Much to the dismay of the local manager it kept raining and the turf was washed off.
Much discussion went on as to the newly renovated toilets, what kind of soap would Her Majesty use?
One office had a brick holding the sash window open, that had to go, but the occupants complained so much about the lack of ventilation that a compromise was agreed, the brick was painted white.
I doubt that anywhere in the world do Presidents, Prime Ministers, Royalty see things as they actually are.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

When I was working at Pilks the Queen came for some reason or other to my works. They spent a small fortune on a posh loo, but all to know avail, she didn't require a royal pee so it was never christened.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

"One's popping down to Pilks, is that Pilkingtons Glass ? I didn't know that they did loos... 8)
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote:"One's popping down to Pilks, is that Pilkingtons Glass ? I didn't know that they did loos... 8)
They don't.

All the staff have to bring their own bottles & pans......except those with colostomy bags

A loo was especially built for HM's visit.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

To much tequila spiked beer me thinks newcastle. :lol:
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Smart policemen never seen so many and their "whites" are spotless. Luxor certainly looking at it's best, they have even painted the tree trunks white. I heard today though that all this has cost 34 million le, sorry to say but the money could have been better spent elsewhere.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

carrie wrote:Smart policemen never seen so many and their "whites" are spotless. Luxor certainly looking at it's best, they have even painted the tree trunks white. I heard today though that all this has cost 34 million le, sorry to say but the money could have been better spent elsewhere.
Under my care in the community package I would of done it for nothing. :P
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

I thought the dodgy UN tourism body had made Luxor 'world tourism capital' for 2016 prior to inviting itself and its hundreds of delegates to a 5 day 'legs up' at Egypt's expense.

Par for the course. No pre planning, a political fix, poor people pay for it, no obvious benefits, smoke and mirrors etc.

Maybe el Presedento will turn up.

Good opportunity for local tourism operators to 'ask' what will be the legacy of this legs up - other than a few fragile props and antibiotics scripts. But tourism operators asking for answers would presuppose a whole new generation of unafraid operators wondering where all that tourism promotion, J Walter Thompson, money goes to.

If Luxor could get the connected Cairo building/tourism billionaires to invest in Luxor, rather than the coast, the sky would be the limit for government 'assistance'.