Americans warned not to travel to Egypt or Jordan

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Americans warned not to travel to Egypt or Jordan

Post by crewmeal »

Not a good sign for either Egypt or Jordan. Having lived in Jordan I can only say it was one of the safest countries in the area until events last weekend. The security services still do an excellent job and deal with terrorists in the appropriate way.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/mi ... ravel.html

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Americans warned not to travel to Egypt or Jordan

Post by newcastle »

Places are always "safe"....until something happens.

I respect the advice given by foreign governments regarding possible terrorist activity in Egypt.

I draw some comfort from the fact that the Egyptian security forces are quite happy to round up and incarcerate anyone they consider poses a potential threat, no matter how flimsy the evidence ( if any).

In reality, visitors to most European countries are more vulnerable as liberal sentiments and strict legal requirements often inhibit the security forces from acting positively....until it's too late.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Well nothing new on British Gov site and it has been updated from today's date.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Very misleading title according to the BBC they are warning against travel to Sinai outside of Sharm the UK has had this warning in place for several years now.

US issues Jordan travel warning after deadly attacks

The US State Department has issued a travel warning for all of Jordan because of "threats from terrorist groups" after recent deadly attacks.
It said so-called Islamic State (IS) and its affiliates "continue to plot assaults" in the country.
More than a dozen people, including a Canadian tourist, have been killed in attacks in Jordan since last week.
The department also warned of similar threats to US citizens in Egypt, after a series of attacks there.
It advised avoiding travel to the Sinai Peninsula and the Western Desert regions.
(NOT ALL OF EGYPT)
In a statement on Friday, the department said that "terrorist and extremist organisations have expressed a desire to conduct attacks targeting US citizens and Westerners in Jordan".
"Within the last year, Jordanian authorities have notified the US Embassy of several disrupted terrorist plots targeting US citizens and Westerners," the travel warning added.
Jordan is seen by the US as a key regional player in battling IS fighters.

The jihadist group said it was behind last Sunday's attack in the central town of Karak - the deadliest assault in recent days.
Seven members of the Jordanian security forces, two local bystanders and a Canadian tourist were killed in the attack.
Jordan's fight against home-grown extremism
It began when a police patrol received reports of a fire in the village of Qatraneh, about 32km (20 miles) east of Karak.
Officers who responded came under fire from inside the house. Two were wounded before the assailants fled in a car towards Karak castle, a major tourist attraction that dominates the town.
The stand-off there lasted several hours.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-38423950

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Well, that's good news for us Brits :up if it only affects Yanks. :lol: I don't think any Arab state would welcome an I :a25: Trump baseball cap. :cg
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I never take official advise, it always seems to be in direct conflict with what I experience when I go to these places I'm "advised" not to go to.

Mind you, when I was at Art College back in the late 70's, part of my course was to learn about the new up and coming technology of video recording and how you could utilise it.
I learned many of the standard operating modes and tips and tricks deployed by film crews.
As my lecturer said to me. "Once you have done this course, you will never be able to watch films or TV in the same way ever again".

Never were there truer words spoken.

Right, back to the Festive season and great films to watch, all dusted with Adverts to make me feel bad about all the hard work I have put into my life to get where I am today
So they can try to prick my conscience to force my hands in my pockets to sweeten the pill of this life I enjoy so much.. Barstewards.... :br
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

So nice to see you back on here Bullet Magnet, even if it is as you say only for a short while, then at least during this, so called joyous season, your long missed written work, always brings a smile to my face,..........thank you :wi :wi :wi :wi .

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

God Bless you, A Four, and Thank You.
I wish you a very Merry Christmas and Happy, healthy and prosperous New year.
For me, its always a pleasure to see you on this forum. :br
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Newcastle - so much protection - bit like the Russian bear hug - if it doesn't kill you it will keep you warm.

Don't minimize the risks of own goals. Italian Phd researchers, Mexican tourists in the western desert and decades of killing/injuring people in Luxor balloons. History is usually stuff-ups.

Here is a recent close call with an Egypt destination Thompson jet outrunning an Egyptian Missile: http://egyptianstreets.com/2015/11/07/e ... a-missile/. Surprisingly it got little local attention.

Makes you wonder about the 'coyness' on other downed airliners.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A significant difference between Egypt and Europe in terms of terrorists activity is the relative freedom terrorists seem to enjoy in Europe....with its liberal laws, reluctance to arrest without proof etc. Do not take this as an argument in favour of the Egyptian regime's policies.....merely an observation!

The airliner/missile incident took place in August 2015 and was widely reported in the press and on the BBC in Nov 2015. It didn't gain much traction and the press reports seemed to lack verisimilitude. I've seen pilot blogs casting significant doubts...based on their experience. Some reports even suggested it might have been nothing more than a flare.

If the story didn't run....it's probably because there was no story.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Went across to de dark-side to get some cash, haven't seen the Fellucas so busy at least 30 out & about.
Bumped into 4 Korean ladies "welcome, anoyhassiyoh!" made them laugh..... 8)

Ps:"nan jeongmal jal hangug-eo iyagi...so there...
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Indeed very old news about the airliner. Maybe the news from Egypt is very slow in reaching the down under land, they must all be living in fear of an imminent arrival.
I walked past the Collosii today and not for years have I seen so many tourists buses and tourists there.

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

The world is changing before our eyes, and it's only after the change comes that people wonder when it was that it changed...

My mate was in the RAF, he observed an SAS man training one day, the brief was for the SAS man to get from point A to point B without his movements being detected.
when he got to point B, my mate said "how the **** did he do that ? I was watching him all the time".

There is only one answer....