Electronics banned on some US flights from Middle East

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Adamantium

Re: Electronics banned on some US flights from Middle East

Post by Adamantium » Sat May 06, 2017 2:55 am

Some Airlines like Qatar and Etihad are offering loaner laptops and tablets on U.S. bound flights and free wifi for one hour. Emirates permit the use of Laptops until boarding when they can then be passed to airline staff and stored safely. With Egyptair there are no such initiatives. The more expensive airlines come up with the convenient solutions as they would not wish to lose the business trade. Perhaps business class and first class passengers on Egyptair will find similar initiatives.

One other point that was made concerning having laptops in main luggage is the added weight then taken into consideration when weighing in the luggage or will we then have to pay for that added weight even though we have no choice as the situation is thrust on us. Why then should we be penalised paying for the added weight when we are already having to be denied insurance cover or comeback on any damages? There are stories of staff at the Egyptian airports shifting the scales in their favour to scam payment out of tourists before this came about. This is a gift to them. They'll be rubbing their greedy hands with glee.

No come back on damages from the Airlines. Travel insurance not covering damages or theft. Some Airlines issue advice on safe storage of devices things which are common sense. Nothing of this appears to favour the tourist and the tourist trade with some Airlines shares dropping. It is something to keep our eyes on and see what reports come from affected tourists so we might learn what to do or not do.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sat May 06, 2017 8:22 am

Situation is not "thrust" on you, its a guideline that you are aware of so you cant claim that.

Provision for the extra weight on the return flight should be made, just like you would for gifts and other things purchased whilst on holiday.

Counter any disputes with a set of cheap and light luggage scales.

You can claim for damage and loss to the airline - this has been the case for a very long time.

This regulation was not brought in to favor the tourist or the tourist trade, its a security measure.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sat May 06, 2017 9:46 am

Zooropa wrote:Situation is not "thrust" on you, its a guideline that you are aware of so you cant claim that.

Provision for the extra weight on the return flight should be made, just like you would for gifts and other things purchased whilst on holiday.

Counter any disputes with a set of cheap and light luggage scales.

You can claim for damage and loss to the airline - this has been the case for a very long time.

This regulation was not brought in to favor the tourist or the tourist trade, its a security measure.
I'm not sure you can. For example easyJet's Contract of Carriage states :

19.4.11 You should not include in Your Hold Luggage fragile or perishable items, money, jewellery, precious metals, silverware, computers, electronic devices, negotiable papers, securities or other valuables, business documents, passports and other identification documents or samples and we accept no liability for them save as stated in Article 16.5.3 (Baggage, Damage to Baggage)

This is why they recommend carrying these items in your hand luggage!

I don't know if the situation has changed following the restrictions to hand luggage electronics on certain flights....but I haven't noticed it.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sat May 06, 2017 10:14 am

Im not sure either!

19.4.11 That you quoted refers to hold luggage and gives an exception quoting 16.5.3 which refers only to cabin luggage!

16.5.3 "We are not liable for any damage to Your Cabin Baggage to the extent caused or contributed to by Your negligence"

So, from what i can see its saying you shouldnt put x,y,z in hold luggage and if you put it in cabin luggage your negligence invalidates any claim.

IMO The wording could be better, rather like the airline itself IMO.

Its another reason i can add to why i would never consider Sleazy, oops sorry, Easyjet.

However, assuming that such items are not covered post the new regulations, its a case of making a choice and dealing with the consequencies .

My clothes are almost exclusively designer, were my case to be lost/damaged i would receive only a fraction of the value in a claim.

Thats a factor i have to decide upon when travelling, as you know, ive done the same with the decision re my laptop.

I will, at some stage check Egyptair's terms to see what they say and will report back.

Its all about choices.

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:28 pm

Some good news of sorts, The US have lifted the ban on tablets etc on flights to the USA with immediate effect. However the ban still stays for flights to the UK. Details on the Egyptair website.