Electronics banned on some US flights from Middle East

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Re: Electronics banned on some US flights from Middle East

Post by newcastle » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:20 am

carrie wrote:Looks like there is some specific information that the authorities have, no use complaining about the ban and after all I would rather be safe.
Very specific..... if other countries seem unfazed :urm:

You can never accomplish total security....it's always a balance between risk and reasonable precaution - or we'd be banned from carrying any luggage and stripped naked before flying.

I happen to think they've gone too far with this one :vs

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:44 am

FABlux wrote:Ban is in place on Gov UK site from at the latest 25th March. Info here:-

https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restric ... ical-items

Warning is included that valuable items in the hold are generally excluded by insurance. We have packed ready for Monday, 4 cases @22.5kg now have to redo the whole b****y lot to get the laptops in. A 5 hour flight with no kindles is going to be fun too isn't it! :xx

Have emailed for clarification as some reports include scanner & cameras in the ban.

Interesting that the affected countries doesn't include Somalia which is where the laptop bomber flew from last year! Not saying they are copying the US of course just because Somalia is on their banned list.
I don't know which airline you are flying with but Egyptair published information yesterday, in Arabic and English, with a clear list of items not allowed. This did include ereaders, cameras and scanners. I've not looked at their site but it is definitely on their Facebook page. It is also on the Luxor4u Facebook page as I forwarded it there. Unfortunately, I was unable to copy it to here.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:37 am

It has been triggered by strong evidence that Al Quada have the capability of concealing a bomb within a battery and other unspecified information regarding an imminent threat and that is why only the larger devices are banned from being carried on as hand luggage. This image was taken last year of an explosion from a laptop bomb on a plane.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:12 am

Well here's one way of seeing if any bombs in hold luggage.... 8)
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3109551/o ... jet-plane/
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:24 am

FABlux wrote: A 5 hour flight with no kindles is going to be fun too isn't it! :xx

Um, there's always a book Fran. ;)
Carpe diem! :le:

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:28 am

Horus wrote:It has been triggered by strong evidence that Al Quada have the capability of concealing a bomb within a battery and other unspecified information regarding an imminent threat and that is why only the larger devices are banned from being carried on as hand luggage. This image was taken last year of an explosion from a laptop bomb on a plane.

Just as well Al Qaeda only operate from those specified countries against planes heading for UK & USA then :urm:

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:31 am

Winged Isis wrote:
FABlux wrote: A 5 hour flight with no kindles is going to be fun too isn't it! :xx

And the Inflight Magazine and Airline Safety Card :roll:

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:40 am

newcastle wrote:
Winged Isis wrote:

And the Inflight Magazine and Airline Safety Card :roll:
I would not worry, if your "stripped naked" directive comes into force there will be more than enough entertainment inflight!

As long as Nicole Kidman was aboard.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:46 am

No doubt it will inconvenience many, and probably cost a few more in money. But I would prefer this than having to do a free fall from 30,000feet. We are far to reliant on electronics while traveling, and this just goes to prove it.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:59 am

Dusak wrote:No doubt it will inconvenience many, and probably cost a few more in money. But I would prefer this than having to do a free fall from 30,000feet. We are far to reliant on electronics while traveling, and this just goes to prove it.
If it guaranteed...or even diminished significantly the chances.....against dying in a plane, I'd agree.

It won't.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:01 pm

I have to say that I have often wished that mobile phones had to be handed in on entry to a plane. I know that they now have 'flight mode'.and can be used for almost the full duration of certain flights, but it really annoys me when I see and hear so many people using them even after a clear annoncement has been made that they should be switched off.
I sat across the aisle one day to a woman who stated to use her phone as we came in to land at LHR. When someone pointed out to her that she should have her phone off she got very verbally abusive. All totally uneccessary.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:04 pm

Its not the use of electronics whilst travelling that bothers me, its not being able to use them at destinations.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:18 pm

Zooropa wrote:Its not the use of electronics whilst travelling that bothers me, its not being able to use them at destinations.

.....because some barsteward in luggage handling has nicked it...or bounced it off the tarmac a couple of times :dv

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:44 pm

Winged Isis wrote:
I always use Kindles as they are easier on the eyes & decent books here are difficult to find as well as expensive & with only a couple of days notice I'm not going to have time or the inclination to go to the East Bank. I gave all my non reference ones away after reading them.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:00 pm

As this has been implemented so quickly by a couple of Countries, then one assumes the Secret Services know
something that we don't.
And there are many things they know that we don't...8)
Ps: That why the word Secret is used before services..
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:03 pm

newcastle wrote:
Horus wrote:It has been triggered by strong evidence that Al Quada have the capability of concealing a bomb within a battery and other unspecified information regarding an imminent threat and that is why only the larger devices are banned from being carried on as hand luggage. This image was taken last year of an explosion from a laptop bomb on a plane.

Just as well Al Qaeda only operate from those specified countries against planes heading for UK & USA then :urm:
No! but most of them do and most terrorist plots originate in that region, so seems logical to deprive you of your laptop if that keeps me and others a bit safer. You do not know the reasons behind these bans so why question it? but they obviously have good inteligence of something being on the cards to have implimented it across such a broad area. You only get to see the results of a terrorist attack and very rarely the ones that have been foiled by better security being in place, Egypt being a classic example of being lax.
@ Dr Who, at least some people understand the situation :up

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:13 pm

easyJet
59 mins ·
There are new UK Government security measures affecting all flights from Turkey and Egypt to the UK. Passengers flying with us from these countries will not be allowed to board the plane with large electronic devices such as laptops, e-readers and tablets. All passengers must go to Bag Drop desks at Turkish & Egyptian airports to put laptops, tablets and e-readers, or other large electronic devices into hold luggage. If you don’t have hold luggage you may put devices into cabin bags which will go into the hold free of charge. We advise passengers to leave extra time and thank them for their understanding. The safety and security of our passengers and crew is our highest priority. For more information visit http://www.easyjet.com/…/preparing-to-f ... nformation.

This deals with my specific problem....although I'd like to know more about "cabin bags". Are they individual, marked with your name etc? Where to you get you equipment back at the other end? etc.

Or maybe they mean you can put what was intended as your hand luggage in the hold...free of charge?

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:22 pm

"We do not know the reasons behind these bans so why question it"?

I quite agree.

Didnt stop people questioning Trump's executive order though did it.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:58 pm

Horus wrote:
newcastle wrote:

No! but most of them do and most terrorist plots originate in that region, so seems logical to deprive you of your laptop if that keeps me and others a bit safer. You do not know the reasons behind these bans so why question it? but they obviously have good inteligence of something being on the cards to have implimented it across such a broad area. You only get to see the results of a terrorist attack and very rarely the ones that have been foiled by better security being in place, Egypt being a classic example of being lax.
@ Dr Who, at least some people understand the situation :up
Implemented across a broad (although not totally consistent) area of origin...but not of destination. Recent terrorist targets, particularly the successful ones, have included many other countries

It's good to know that Al Qaeda (or whoever) seem to have indicated that only direct flights to UK and USA are their targets. Jolly helpful.

(I'm making the, not unreasonable, assumption that US/UK intelligence have shared their information with their allies)

@ Horus. I question anything and everything which I don't completely understand. I was a right pain at school ;)

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:40 pm

HEPZIBAH wrote:I am all for improved safety measures, as long as that is what this is all about.

I don't really understand the difference between packing theses items in hand baggage or hold baggage as it is all going on a plane. I can only assume that there are more intricate scanners behind the scenes that hold baggage goes through, but I have no idea.

For convenience, let's hope this is a temporary thing.
To avoid detection bombs are split into various components before check-in - they then need to be re-assembled in the cabin - can't be done if all the parts are in the hold.