Electronics banned on some US flights from Middle East

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Electronics banned on some US flights from Middle East

Post by newcastle » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:48 pm

I have often wondered how thoroughly hand luggage or hold luggage is checked at Hurghada...or other Egyptian airports for that matter.

Certainly haven't noticed any sniffers about.....apart from a scruffy toilet attendant.
Spoiler
Show
And I think he was sniffing for baksheesh

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:07 pm

I have seen the explosive detectors being used and have read about them being used.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:21 pm

“The reason for that was obvious: we didn’t trust their screening,” said Vincent. “It was required because culturally, the Egyptians are not capable of providing effective civil aviation security. The people manning security checkpoints and checking baggage and so forth will defer to any prominent individual (both government officials and well-to-do citizens) and many of them will readily accept bribes to allow people to do things, bypass screening, get an extra bag on, you name it. To me, anyone operating out of anywhere in Egypt is totally foolhardy to rely on Egyptian security.”

http://www.securityinfowatch.com/articl ... inadequate

We can , of course, hope that things have improved dramatically post the Sinai disaster :urm:

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:33 pm

You can rest assured that if the proper equipment is being used (either Ionscan or Egis) then they will detect any trace of explosives after the bags are checked in, once a substance is detected then the dog is usually brought in to verify the item, it actually works the other way around for drug detection. These machines, especially the Egis are so sensitive that if you had played cards with someone who had handled explosives and then you packed your bags, you will give a positive hit. Having said all that they do rely upon skilled operators using the equipment and the attention of well qualified service engineers to keep them up to scratch and calibrated, all UK and American airports, Ferry Terminals and major Rail Head depots have large numbers of these machines.

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:42 pm

There are more ways of skinning a cat. Many will be buying larger micro sd cards for their phones and downloading whatever for their phones. Personally I'll buy one for my iPhone 16gb so i can still watch my favourite movies. The only problem with that is my old eyes get tired after 20 mins watching a phone screen.

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:27 pm

I have downloaded the Kindle app to my phone in the hope that I can continue reading my book during the flight.
However your point about eye strain on a phone screen is something I am concerned about.
God help us if there are young children on board though. The use of video's played on tablets to keep children amused has become increasingly common over the last few years. Now what will they do to amuse them?

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:32 pm

BBLUX wrote:I have downloaded the Kindle app to my phone in the hope that I can continue reading my book during the flight.
However your point about eye strain on a phone screen is something I am concerned about.
God help us if there are young children on board though. The use of video's played on tablets to keep children amused has become increasingly common over the last few years. Now what will they do to amuse them?
They'll revert to the age old pastime of drumming their feet against the seat in front, I shouldn't wonder :vs
Spoiler
Show
Are tasers allowed in hand luggage?

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:18 pm

Only if less than 16 x 9 X 1.5cm ;)

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:50 pm

Pity the kids can't be put in the hold too.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:09 pm

newcastle wrote:I have often wondered how thoroughly hand luggage or hold luggage is checked at Hurghada...or other Egyptian airports for that matter.

Certainly haven't noticed any sniffers about.....apart from a scruffy toilet attendant.
Spoiler
Show
And I think he was sniffing for baksheesh
I got stopped and challenged at Luxor airport in December. The scan had had picked up scissors in my hand luggage. I was instructed to open my bag and remove them. Embarrassingly, I had to ask them which bag - I had wheeled hand luggage case, my hand bag, and a bag of medical supplies. I knew where my curved blade medical scissors where but as they were in the bag that came through first I wasn't convinced it was those they on about. It then dawned on me that I'd probably put my little bag with my nail clippers and nail scissors, which I normally put in my hold luggage, in the wrong bag. They told me which bag the scissors were in and yes, it was my normal hand luggage bag. I took the scissors out, expecting them still to challenge me for the other ones, and they were confiscated. In most airports those nail scissors would have been perfectly OK to carry in hand luggage, even though they had sharp pointed blades they were very short and under the limit.

Now it may be that I was unfortunate and got the only security guard that doesn't smoke, answer his phone whilst holding a full conversation with at least three different people across the departures area OR security in Egyptian airports is getting tighter.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:30 am

Same here. I got stopped and challenged at Luxor last year because I'd bought 4 boxes of 800mg Ibuprofen and they must have thought they were illicit drugs. They searched every single box and wanted to know why I had bought them. I have to say Security is 'top dog' there.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:44 am

We could swap anecdotes 'til the cows come home.

Both the UK and Russia apparently still have issues with Egyptian security measures at Sharm. In fact, for the Russians, it's everywhere.

Remember, as a passenger, you only experience the security measures as you enter the airport. You have little, if any, knowledge of how tight security is "airside"....which may have been the issue with the Sinai disaster.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:05 pm

Any guesses as to what the likely reaction to this will be in hand luggage?

https://www.innokin.com/vaporizers/cool-fire-iv-tc-100/

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:45 pm

Zooropa wrote:Any guesses as to what the likely reaction to this will be in hand luggage?

I was under the impression that, from UK, you're Ok...although you can't use them in airport or on plane. They need to be separated and inspected (like tablets/laptops etc) when going through security.

Coming from Egypt you'd think the same applies....but who knows. They are often a law unto themselves. Might be better to consign it to hold luggage on return.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:02 pm

exactly what i was thinking!

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:08 pm

I've just done an online checkin for a KLM flight from UK to Asia via Amsterdam and the following was in the final agreement.

Travelling with a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphone in any form, whether on one’s person, in hand baggage or as checked baggage, is no longer allowed on
AIR FRANCE, KLM and KLM Cityhopper flights. This measure was taken in order to comply with an emergency order issued by the U.S. Department of Transportation; banning the carriage of such devices from commercial air transport. For more information, please refer to the Department of Transportation (DOT) website.

So you really do need to read the small, and not so small, print, no matter where you are planning of flying to or from.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:25 pm

Zooropa wrote:Any guesses as to what the likely reaction to this will be in hand luggage?

It say's a lot but it doesn't say What's if For ?

"The Cool Fire IV TC 100W is powered by the Ultra-fast advanced AETHON chipset with 100W of pure power with ClearWave noise cancellation technology. Compact, powerful, durable, beautiful and much more, the Cool Fire IV TC 100W sets the new standard in vaping excellence"

'Yes but...'no but..."What's it for ? and what's vaping, when it's a home ? 'Some sort of new app ?.... 8)
Bewildered OAP Tunbridge Wells.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:38 pm

Who2 wrote:

It say's a lot but it doesn't say What's if For ?

"The Cool Fire IV TC 100W is powered by the Ultra-fast advanced AETHON chipset with 100W of pure power with ClearWave noise cancellation technology. Compact, powerful, durable, beautiful and much more, the Cool Fire IV TC 100W sets the new standard in vaping excellence"

'Yes but...'no but..."What's it for ? and what's vaping, when it's a home ? 'Some sort of new app ?.... 8)
Bewildered OAP Tunbridge Wells.

Electronic fags my dear Doctor, electronic fags....

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:46 pm

What's wrong with good old No6 or Cleopatra's ?..... 8)
Ps: Can you use them in toilets or will their 'advanced technology (AETHON chipsets)
interfere with the planes electronics ?
Pss: Nick smokes them all the time using THC oil...pretty damn cool!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:53 pm

Vaping is like smoking, only not.. you smoke a liquid that has been heated by your vape machine and inhale the "vapour"
It gets banned the same as tobacco, despite not being a tobacco product.
Yes you can dissolve THC into the vaping liquid, but I dont rate it that much, :td but there is less of that tokers tell tale odour about it .... :mrgreen:

I gave it a go for 3 months when I quit smoking proper ciggies. Problem was, after 3 months they made me cough more than ciggies did.
Only then did I realise there is nothing that can beat a proper ciggie crafted to perfection by my own fair hands.... :a61:

It's a lifetime commitment.. :br granted, some say my lifetime may well be shortened, but that just makes the commitment that much easier to bear... 8)
plus its only knocking the shitty years off at the end of your life, where you sit in a nursing home being fed rehydrated chicken soup and hosed down once a week. :ct
Based on the alleged facts that smoking reduces your lifetime, I should have died in 1957, which was 4 years before I was born !

I Need a fag break, and do some people watching on Tithebarn street... .... :brb

:a61: