Electronics banned on some US flights from Middle East

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Re: Electronics banned on some US flights from Middle East

Post by John Landon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:38 pm

After my people watching session, I have decided that there needs to be a weight / size limit on women wearing yoga pants. :|
Why is a fat bird even wearing yoga pants..? Exercise ? you're kidding me, right ?
While they leave very little to the imagination, and a young bird with a good figure can fire up the few remaining hormones that I have left, there are some avenues of my imagination that need no exploration or illumination whatsoever... :stp

on a more intellectual level, Tithebarn street was named after a tithebarn.
the site of the Tithebarn is now a vacant space opposite Shenanigans Bar, just a few yards form here...

from Wikipedia:

A tithe barn was a type of barn used in much of northern Europe in the Middle Ages for storing rents and tithes — one tenth of a farm's produce which was given to the Church.
Tithe barns were usually associated with the village church or rectory and independent farmers took their tithes there. The village priests would not have to pay tithes—the purpose of the tithe being their support.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:43 pm

John Landon wrote:Vaping is like smoking, only not.. you smoke a liquid that has been heated by your vape machine and inhale the "vapour"
It gets banned the same as tobacco, despite not being a tobacco product.
Yes you can dissolve THC into the vaping liquid, but I dont rate it that much, :td but there is less of that tokers tell tale odour about it .... :mrgreen:

I gave it a go for 3 months when I quit smoking proper ciggies. Problem was, after 3 months they made me cough more than ciggies did.
Only then did I realise there is nothing that can beat a proper ciggie crafted to perfection by my own fair hands.... :a61:

It's a lifetime commitment.. :br granted, some say my lifetime may well be shortened, but that just makes the commitment that much easier to bear... 8)
plus its only knocking the shitty years off at the end of your life, where you sit in a nursing home being fed rehydrated chicken soup and hosed down once a week. :ct
Based on the alleged facts that smoking reduces your lifetime, I should have died in 1957, which was 4 years before I was born !

I Need a fag break, and do some people watching on Tithebarn street... .... :brb

:a61:
Sorry John, you take today's "waffle" prize - probably this week's, and i would'nt rule out this month's.

I dont doubt your experience but its not consistent with mine and a lot of other people's who i know or have read about.

I had a very bad problem with coughing and switching to vaping stopped all of my coughing in a matter of days.

Smoking kills, there is no point in dressing it up and the fact that you, and other people who are heavy smokers and live/may live to a ripe age does not counter the fact that it kills hundreds of thousands of people a year most of which would still be alive if they did not smoke.

As for smoking only taking the "shitty" years off you at the end of your time, well, yet more brainless waffle, it killed my father at 53 - hardly the "shitty" end of his life, the fact is, for the last ten years of his life it made his life shitty and even as the last words barely escaped from his mouth he was still denying that his imminent death had anything to do with smoking, im sure you would have hit it off with him!

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:56 pm

Non smokers die of cancer too you know... ? Its just handy for the purpose of taxation to blame tobacco products.. I was discussing this earlier today with some Irish builders we have working here.
in total we knew 4 non smokers that had died from lung cancer, and not one of them had ever smoked...

Vaping was great at first for me, but my experience long term was not good, so I switched back to fags.... :cg

belief systems are very powerful, more powerful than you think..... :up

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:02 pm

John Landon wrote:Non smokers die of cancer too you know... ? Its just handy for the purpose of taxation to blame tobacco products.. I was discussing this earlier today with some Irish builders we have working here.
in total we knew 4 non smokers that had died from lung cancer, and not one of them had ever smoked...

Vaping was great at first for me, but my experience long term was not good, so I switched back to fags.... :cg

Risible!

People who have not been flattened by a car die every year as well, does that mean i shouldnt be bothered about jaywalking up the M1?

Cigarettes kill, its not a belief system, its an empirical fact.

Roll over David Ike.
You are evidence of that.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:08 pm

Quite right Zooropa...although I think you could have corrected John a little more gently ;)

I had the same idea that giving up post 60 was pointless...until the consultant who'd dealt with my liver tumour put me right, He didn't exactly say "give it up or find another doctor"....but I could see that thought rising to his lips.

Of course giving up is a battle....and the excuses for not doing so, legion. "The stress is worse than the risks..." is a favourite....and - scientifically speaking - complete b*llocks.

Apart from irrefutable medical evidence and the cajoling of my doctor, what did it for me was the realisation, after a few months, that I felt better, breathed better and my sense of smell improved to the point where I now find encountering people who do smoke an unpleasant experience.

Give it up John! It's disgusting, dirty, smelly....and unhealthy.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:16 pm

You are correct Newcastle, i could have....

The tone of my response was influenced by the memory of my father who was a mere 5 years older than i am when he died.

The first of 5 grandchildren he never met and they him were born 6 months after his passing that i witnessed over a 5 hour period of him being racked in pain at the simple task of trying to breathe.

Something that kills hundreds of thousands of people a year should not be a subject that is turned into taxation conspiracy theories and silly straw man arguments involving 4 Irish builders.

A robust response, i feel, was justified.

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:39 pm

It can only happen on this forum, where one smoker attacks another smoker for smoking..... :lol:

But taxation and laws should not be made to protect a person from themselves.
THE Law states you dont kill, harm or steal from another individual.
ALL other laws ( acts) are corporate ******** designed to protect corporations who have no rights under common law, and keep their puppets in office making more acts.

I am not a weak minded individual, I can and do stop smoking when I have to, its dead easy ('scuse the pun) you simply "change your mind".....

Not being nasty, more constructive, but if you feel so strongly about the manner in which your father passed away,
then perhaps you should have considered your own life choices very carefully immediately afterwards ?

After my Mum died at the age of 43, and my old man 10 months later, I learned 2 very valuable life lessons...

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:53 pm

John Landon wrote:It can only happen on this forum, where one smoker attacks another smoker for smoking..... :lol:

Im not a smoker and i was not attacking you for smoking - where did i do this? I was calling you out on the utter rubbish you were speaking about the effects of smoking

But taxation and laws should not be made to protect a person from themselves.

I could not agree more, but that wasnt your argument, you were claiming that the state which, as taxation on cigarettes has been with us a very long time includes all governing political parties were misleading the public regarding the harm that cigarettes cause in order to justify taxing them.

THE Law states you dont kill, harm or steal from another individual.
ALL other laws ( acts) are corporate ******** designed to protect corporations who have no rights under common law, and keep their puppets in office making more acts.

Ok, whatever, and the relevance of this statement to this debate is?

I am not a weak minded individual, I can and do stop smoking when I have to, its dead easy ('scuse the pun) you simply "change your mind".....

See previous answer

Not being nasty, more constructive, but if you feel so strongly about the manner in which your father passed away,
then perhaps you should have considered your own life choices very carefully immediately afterwards ?

Again, whats that got to do with you or this debate? My argument is that you are speaking complete guff on a very serious, deadly subject.

After my Mum died at the age of 43, and my old man 10 months later, I learned 2 very valuable life lessons...

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:05 pm

I'm drawing the line on this one now as its dragging on so I'm going for a cig, its getting personal. I'll give you both a tip, pack it in before the replies get filtered and you get branded a cheap copy of your former selves. :a61:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:16 pm

Its not personal, from my end, at least. just robust.

Id be surprised if it was any different from JL'S end either.

Im being robust on the points not the person.

Nothing wrong with robust debate.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:17 pm

Dusak wrote:I'm drawing the line on this one now as its dragging on so I'm going for a cig, its getting personal. I'll give you both a tip, pack it in before the replies get filtered and you get branded a cheap copy of your former selves. :a61:
I hope you have gas masks available for Zooropa and his son when they come to visit....so they don't shorten their lives by inhaling your output :vs

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:23 pm

newcastle wrote:
Dusak wrote:I'm drawing the line on this one now as its dragging on so I'm going for a cig, its getting personal. I'll give you both a tip, pack it in before the replies get filtered and you get branded a cheap copy of your former selves. :a61:
I hope you have gas masks available for Zooropa and his son when they come to visit....so they don't shorten their lives by inhaling your output :vs

My son revealed to me 6 months ago that he has started smoking - i cant deny im very disappointed but as i told him its his life, hes an adult.

As for me, well, there is a very big chance given how long and how much i smoked that ive passed the point of no return in terms of health impact.

Id like to think i have not morphed into the dreaded ex smoker type person.

It bothers me not if im around smokers, having a dig at someone for doing something you did for years seems silly to me although i know lots of people who do.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:57 pm

Zooropa wrote:
newcastle wrote:

My son revealed to me 6 months ago that he has started smoking - i cant deny im very disappointed but as i told him its his life, hes an adult.

As for me, well, there is a very big chance given how long and how much i smoked that ive passed the point of no return in terms of health impact.

Id like to think i have not morphed into the dreaded ex smoker type person.

It bothers me not if im around smokers, having a dig at someone for doing something you did for years seems silly to me although i know lots of people who do.
And you managed to type all that with a straight face? :lol:

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:33 pm

You may doubt me Newcastle but i have no beef with smokers or smoking only with facts concerning it being skewed.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:21 pm

Me being a very polite and accommodating individual towards others, all it would take was ''excuse me, if you don't mind not smoking in my/our company.'' :up PS. That smilie was not representative of how I exhale.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:44 pm

Latest experience leaving Egypt by air....I.e.yours truly from Hurghada.

Kept electronics in separate bag....2 phones, their chargers, some cables, ecig thingy .

No issues on first 2 security checks....items went through scanners without examination.

At gate, bag items checked and passed.

All very smooth....but then I had neither hold case nor any contentious items.

Passport and boarding pass checked more times than I can remember.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:28 am

newcastle wrote:Latest experience leaving Egypt by air....I.e.yours truly from Hurghada.

Kept electronics in separate bag....2 phones, their chargers, some cables, ecig thingy .

No issues on first 2 security checks....items went through scanners without examination.

At gate, bag items checked and passed.

All very smooth....but then I had neither hold case nor any contentious items.

Passport and boarding pass checked more times than I can remember.

Thanks Newcastle, be interesting to hear how it goes on your return.

Will you be flying via Gatwick?

Adamantium

Post by Adamantium » Thu May 04, 2017 4:07 am

I am with Bennu and Winged Isis in the concern over these devices being targeted. It is understandable these things have to be declared on outgoing flights and checked, but who other than security is clocking who has got what and of what great value? Damage, theft it doesn't exactly spell win-win. I would not trust my laptop to my hold luggage. My old tablet which I never got rid of I just might. My iPod (Yes, they still exist) would keep me entertained on the flight. Lacking a laptop allows me greater freedom to just enjoy my time. It also means I will not be hassled by people wanting to buy it. I am sure we have all come across the person wanting to buy our devices telling us they will pay half now then the rest on our return...As if. Don't they appreciate we have these things because we want them or need them.

There are too many ifs and buts concerning the safety of devices left in the hold. It could also provide intelligence agencies of a sly way of getting hold of the device of a person of interest without the person of interest being aware. You are after all giving up possession of these devices for the duration of the flight. Or perhaps I just have a fertile imagination. Perhaps I watch too much 'Homeland.'

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Thu May 04, 2017 6:36 am

It will be interesting to see what security make of my Apple Ear pods when I pass through Hurghada and Cairo.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Thu May 04, 2017 10:38 am

Adamantium wrote:I am with Bennu and Winged Isis in the concern over these devices being targeted. It is understandable these things have to be declared on outgoing flights and checked, but who other than security is clocking who has got what and of what great value? Damage, theft it doesn't exactly spell win-win. I would not trust my laptop to my hold luggage. My old tablet which I never got rid of I just might. My iPod (Yes, they still exist) would keep me entertained on the flight. Lacking a laptop allows me greater freedom to just enjoy my time. It also means I will not be hassled by people wanting to buy it. I am sure we have all come across the person wanting to buy our devices telling us they will pay half now then the rest on our return...As if. Don't they appreciate we have these things because we want them or need them.

There are too many ifs and buts concerning the safety of devices left in the hold. It could also provide intelligence agencies of a sly way of getting hold of the device of a person of interest without the person of interest being aware. You are after all giving up possession of these devices for the duration of the flight. Or perhaps I just have a fertile imagination. Perhaps I watch too much 'Homeland.'

Anybody that has information on mobile electronic storage devices and shackles them to their person regardless of if they are leaving the country with it is beyond stupid and perhaps deserves to be caught.