British tourist held in Egyptian prison

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

British tourist held in Egyptian prison

Post by crewmeal » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:17 pm

Looking at the device I suppose you couldn't really blame the authorities as it looks like something suspicious, even if it was bought on ebay.

British tourist is held in an Egyptian cell for three days after security forces mistook his homemade iPod amplifier for a BOMB as he tried to board flight home

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -BOMB.html

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: British tourist held in prison

Post by Bombay » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:36 pm

Bit of a twat then really.
Aren't you going to put it on trip advisory or is there another site Twat Advisor?

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:12 pm

Some idiots will never learn.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:38 pm

Looking at his Mrs, he should have gone to specsavers....lol... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:10 pm

Well i feel sorry for them, the authorities after checking the tin many times knew it was not a bomb, found no explosives to backup it was any kind of bomb, so why did they drive him many kilometres here and there, and then keep him locked up for days???

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Re: British tourist held in Egyptian prison

Post by John Landon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:41 pm

Well Keefy, perhaps its the fact that Egypt has been singled out for these kind of restrictions by the UK and is harming thier tourist industry, so when they get a chance to show the UK Government how stupid they are, then all you have to do is wait for some Kentish town "Geezer" "Wide boy" to come along and then make an example of him..... :cg

I liked this bit....

He was held for three days and says he feared 'being handed over to Isis' :lol:

Mensa candidate ? I "fink" not... 8)

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:21 pm

John Landon wrote: He was held for three days and says he feared 'being handed over to Isis' :lol:

Mensa candidate ? I "fink" not... 8)
I liked your post, most of what you say is probably true, tit for tat, we will show you kind of thing, Egyptians are well known for that.

I disagree though with the part I quoted, till you have been in that situation you dont know how scary it can be, all kinds of **** went through my head when I was transported up to Cairo, people go missing, people end up dead (Italian guy for example). Wiz says he was tortured and I heard the doctor in the UK verified that marks on him were signs on someone who had been tortured.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:21 pm

Egypt has not been "singled out" unless there is something i dont know.

They are not the only country subject to new security measures whether you agree with them or not.

If the Egyptian authorities wanted to show the UK "how stupid they are" well, as Keefy has said it was established several times it was not a bomb so if anything, i would argue that what they achieved was justification for the measures, if you cant tell, after examination what is and what is not a bomb then......

As for the measure harming the tourist industry - what tourist industry?

Yes, he may have been a pratt and all the rest of it but keeping a tourist locked up for several days for no reason ultimately, isnt going to do their tourist industry any good either is it?

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:21 pm

Oh, I appreciate how bad it can be to be banged up in a foreign nick, but lets face it, any sympathy for this guy is wasted.
Ask yourself if that "could have been you" and you know fine well you would not have done what he did.

Of course, the security forces could if in doubt have simply have confiscated the Item, and everyone is happy.
I cant say why they took him away for 3 days, but nothing did happen to him. There again, if you are in a country where you may have concerns about "human rights" and they may be violated, then perhaps you need to be careful when entering and leaving that country. I can always Doff my cap when I have to...
Long gone are the days when the Brits could simply slap old Jonny foreigner in the face with his UK Passport at security to move him out of your way..

These extra security measures imposed by the UK to "selected" countries cost those counties extra time and money and us the public are further inconvenienced.

I watch peoples freedoms slipping away as they gladly cast them aside for "security". Problem is this effects me as well and makes the whole travelling experience less attractive when it comes to travelling by plane. I wont be the only one thinking that or even saying that in public.

Be safe out there, a little common sense goes a long way... :br

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:44 pm

John Landon wrote:Oh, I appreciate how bad it can be to be banged up in a foreign nick, but lets face it, any sympathy for this guy is wasted.
Ask yourself if that "could have been you" and you know fine well you would not have done what he did.

Im inclined to agree with Keefy John, being stupid isnt criminal and certainly nowhere near the top of my list when it comes to objectionable character traits. In a lot of countries where Brits tend to go on holiday im guessing it would have been checked, perhaps confiscated and then he would have been allowed to go on his way with perhaps a word of advice re home made electrical devices. No fuss, no hoohah and no addition to the already (in Egypt's case) lengthy list of reasons not to visit. We are saying he is dumb but i could make a case that they were dumb as well. The man was detained for no real reason in the end, il give him some sympathy.

Of course, the security forces could if in doubt have simply have confiscated the Item, and everyone is happy.

Well, there you go then!

I cant say why they took him away for 3 days, but nothing did happen to him.

LOL! Excuse me, nothing happened to him? What, apart from being imprisoned for several days unfairly?

There again, if you are in a country where you may have concerns about "human rights" and they may be violated, then perhaps you need to be careful when entering and leaving that country. I can always Doff my cap when I have to...

We can all be wise after the event, whatever our intellectual capacity is or isnt as im sure he himself now is. The FCO were not advising against travel so its unfair to expect him to be overly concerned on that score.

Long gone are the days when the Brits could simply slap old Jonny foreigner in the face with his UK Passport at security to move him out of your way..

A tad unfair and outdated and i would offer, hardly justification for detaining someone without any real reason.

These extra security measures imposed by the UK to "selected" countries cost those counties extra time and money and us the public are further inconvenienced.

Right or wrong the government has to tread carefully, if they are acting on intelligence and took no action then they would be hung out to dry.

I watch peoples freedoms slipping away as they gladly cast them aside for "security". Problem is this effects me as well and makes the whole travelling experience less attractive when it comes to travelling by plane. I wont be the only one thinking that or even saying that in public.

I agree that is happening and needs to be challenged, but not this, it just isnt worth it. Going through checks has been a pain in the arse for ages, a few extra hoops isnt going to make that much difference, the point is, with good fortune one never knows just how useful it may well have been, remember, we only get to hear about the plots that succeed.

Be safe out there, a little common sense goes a long way... :br

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:45 pm

Remember this guy was on holiday in Egypt when the new rules came in to place

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:13 am

Still stupid to take a home made device that could potentially spark a security alert.
I may seem a bit reckless, but I do know where the line is drawn.

"Been on holiday when the restrictions were brought in",
Fair enough, but even if you have been living on the Planet Mars since 9/11 and all this airport security crap started to creep in,
I'm pretty sure the item he took through would indeed raise an eybrow or 2 and certainly DEMAND closer examination. throw in a bit of paranoia, and Bang ! Off to jail with you !!!

Now then Z, you yourself were advising me recently about my attitude to authority and indeed how I could miss a plane just by saying or doing the wrong thing, am I not correct, ?
now you seem to be defending this guy ?

Lets look at the evidence again shall we what this genius was trying to get through security in his hand baggage..

dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, Dumb !!!

Now then Keefy, I dont know why you went through what you did, but clearly there was something amiss perhaps with your visa / paperwork or business dealings, plus you had a certain lady giving you grief and threatening you as I recall? there will have been a reason why they detained you. I dont really know you, but you seem like a reasonable bloke to me, and I am sure you do tow the line. But this is Egypt after all.

There was also a reason why they detained this guy too, and that is clear for all to see.

as for Wizard, well, I am not going to comment on that, I do know why, it is not my place to do so. :st

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:20 am

Remember that the extra restrictions were imposed on Egypt by the US & UK so they are certainly going to be making the point of how seriously they are taking things.

And only an idiot would take something like this through an airport.
Good job he didn't go to the USA all flights would still be grounded.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:29 am

John Landon wrote:Still stupid to take a home made device that could potentially spark a security alert.

Good morning John!

I may seem a bit reckless, but I do know where the line is drawn.

"Been on holiday when the restrictions were brought in",
Fair enough, but even if you have been living on the Planet Mars since 9/11 and all this airport security crap started to creep in,
I'm pretty sure the item he took through would indeed raise an eybrow or 2 and certainly DEMAND closer examination. throw in a bit of paranoia, and Bang ! Off to jail with you !!!

Sounds like a reasonable scenario - paranoia isnt the best mechanism in which to decide to throw someone in jail, at least not in my opinion, call me old fashioned but id prefer something like Evidence to be the trigger but i freely admit i am old school. Demand examination, yes, again i agree, it does look like a very dodgy device, so they examined it, several times by the sounds of it. Several times it was established that it was not an explosive device and they still threw him in jail - great.

Now then Z, you yourself were advising me recently about my attitude to authority and indeed how I could miss a plane just by saying or doing the wrong thing, am I not correct, ?
now you seem to be defending this guy ?

I wasnt advising you just pointing out that attitude with these types of officials is not worth the potential reaction, how you choose to act in such situations is your call and your business. Again, let me say, from what ive read he did not do anything wrong so yes, i will defend him.

Lets look at the evidence again shall we what this genius was trying to get through security in his hand baggage..

dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, Dumb !!!

The evidence would appear to be indicating that he didnt do anything wrong! Even in Egypt, being dumb isnt a crime. If you were prosecuting this in court and i were your co council id be telling you to shut your cake hole on this point and move on because all you are doing is aiding the defence by repeating that no crime had been committed and i would be telling you that this was the defence's job and and not yours!

Now then Keefy, I dont know why you went through what you did, but clearly there was something amiss perhaps with your visa / paperwork or business dealings, plus you had a certain lady giving you grief and threatening you as I recall? there will have been a reason why they detained you. I dont really know you, but you seem like a reasonable bloke to me, and I am sure you do tow the line. But this is Egypt after all.

Im sure Keefy, having been in Egypt for some time is as streetwise as they come, if he can fall foul of the law there then anyone can.

There was also a reason why they detained this guy too, and that is clear for all to see.

There appears to be no justifiable reason, especially for three days, long after the facts had been established, i would offer that based on what is known that more than anything else is clear for all to see.

as for Wizard, well, I am not going to comment on that, I do know why, it is not my place to do so. :st

Connie Tindale

Post by Connie Tindale » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:32 am

Mr Landon I sincerely hope that you are not referring to me as being the 'certain lady' giving Keith grief leading to his problems. If so then you are even more deranged that you even appear to be. Keith and I have spoken since his return to the UK and he knows that I had absolutely nothing to do with his problems in Luxor as I am now sure that he had nothing to do with the problems I had. With reference to the above situation Keith is totally correct. Unless you have been held by the Security Police in Egypt then you have no idea of the terror that it can bring about. I am sure that Keith wondered if he would ever see the light of day again as thousands are still in prison in Egypt without charge and with trial. As my crime appeared to be 'insulting the army' over Rabaa Square and as a known MB sympathiser I fully expected to be locked up with the key thrown away. With the added problem of being the head of a foreign funded NGO my detention was inevitable.

The problems that Keith and I had were very acrimonious and lasted years but life is too short for such grudges and I had been back in the UK a long time before Keith left Egypt. Any influence that I may ever have had there was long gone. However, there are others who may have been culpable in Keith's demise just as they were with mine. I am sure than none of the friends or relatives on the man mentioned above will ever go near Egypt so as far as the tourist industry goes, it did more harm than good. As many have now discovered. there is life after Egypt and for some, like myself, it is an excellent one. I have read that Wizard is leading a happy life and hope that Keith is too. Big John has been very ill since his return but hopefully he will eventually fully recover. Both Keith and John would be dead if they were not back in the UK. Every cloud has a silver lining.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:36 am

The device appears to be shown as being connected to the ipod and a pair of earphones.

So what did they think his plan was?

Set off the device by activating the ipod? - seems logical.

What were the headphones for? - so he could hear more clearly whether the bomb had gone off?

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:12 am

Connie Tindale wrote:Mr Landon I sincerely hope that you are not referring to me as being the 'certain lady' giving Keith grief leading to his problems. If so then you are even more deranged that you even appear to be. Keith and I have spoken since his return to the UK and he knows that I had absolutely nothing to do with his problems in Luxor as I am now sure that he had nothing to do with the problems I had. With reference to the above situation Keith is totally correct. Unless you have been held by the Security Police in Egypt then you have no idea of the terror that it can bring about. I am sure that Keith wondered if he would ever see the light of day again as thousands are still in prison in Egypt without charge and with trial. As my crime appeared to be 'insulting the army' over Rabaa Square and as a known MB sympathiser I fully expected to be locked up with the key thrown away. With the added problem of being the head of a foreign funded NGO my detention was inevitable.

The problems that Keith and I had were very acrimonious and lasted years but life is too short for such grudges and I had been back in the UK a long time before Keith left Egypt. Any influence that I may ever have had there was long gone. However, there are others who may have been culpable in Keith's demise just as they were with mine. I am sure than none of the friends or relatives on the man mentioned above will ever go near Egypt so as far as the tourist industry goes, it did more harm than good. As many have now discovered. there is life after Egypt and for some, like myself, it is an excellent one. I have read that Wizard is leading a happy life and hope that Keith is too. Big John has been very ill since his return but hopefully he will eventually fully recover. Both Keith and John would be dead if they were not back in the UK. Every cloud has a silver lining.
Glad to hear to hear that Connie, it was a shame you fell out, and I am happy to hear you are back on friendly terms.. Life is indeed too short.... :up

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:14 am

It's good for everyone to be thrown into 'nick once in their lifetime.
It makes them value their freedom more and gives them a wider perspective on theirs and others lives... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:19 am

Zooropa wrote:The device appears to be shown as being connected to the ipod and a pair of earphones.

So what did they think his plan was?

I dont know, I am not them, but I "guess" if you see wires from one device to another, they put 2 and 2 together and got 5 !

Set off the device by activating the ipod? - seems logical.

Indeed, headphone sockets produce a small amount of power, they have to thats how speakers work...

What were the headphones for? - so he could hear more clearly whether the bomb had gone off?

Subterfuge ? I really cannot say, BUT then again, you have missed my point in displaying that picture, in todays paranoid society that tin looked very suspicious to them, that is what they are trained to pick up on is it not ? and I can see why, even if you cannot.

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:24 am

Who2 wrote:It's good for everyone to be thrown into 'nick once in their lifetime.
It makes them value their freedom more and gives them a wider perspective on theirs and others lives... 8)
Not everyone, there's many inherently good people out there who don't need that particular life lesson.
Just a shame that justice is a wh0re and those who can afford it, can escape justice.
Maybe they wont escape Karma though..... :tk