Holiday Insurance - Egypt

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Holiday Insurance - Egypt

Post by crewmeal » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:20 pm

There are a couple of articles in the tabloids regarding holiday insurance. A case cited shows that an unnamed insurance firm declined a payment of £7000 to the local hospital and it was claimed that Doctors then deliberately switched off the life support machines which resulted in the death of the patient. It was declined because the claimant didn't declare a serious issue he had had previously. The family didn't have suffient funds to pay the bill.

Now as we get older there surely must be a lesson learnt here in that no matter how small your visit to your GP seems it should be noted on the insurance. I quote from my company (Natwest):

When you become an insured person or when you book your trip (whichever is later):
You must tell us about each pre-existing medical condition for any insured person. This is any medical condition for which you:
have received advice, treatment or a prescription for medication (whether taking it or not)
from a doctor during the last 12 months;
• have a heart or cancer related condition;
• are under investigation or awaiting diagnosis;
• are on a waiting list for treatment as an in-patient or were aware of the need for treatment as
an in-patient;
• have received a terminal prognosis.

I realise now that I've overlooked a couple of issues I haven't declared but fortunately got away with it. But now I must submit all my visits to my GP for the past 12 months, even if it's for simple sinus problems.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Holiday Insurance - Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:35 am

But now I must submit all my visits to my GP for the past 12 months, even if it's for simple sinus problems.
Quite right Crewmeal. You must. Failure to do so would entitle your insurer to refuse any claim, even if unrelated to the "problem" for which you'd visited your doctor, on the grounds that you'd breached the conditions of the policy.

Some policies exclude only conditions that are relevant to the claim, Yours is clearly much wider....albeit restricted to 12 months.

The Financial Ombudsman Service has a very helpful site on the subject that makes fascinating reading.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/p ... itions.htm

I assume you're referring to the recent case being hyped by the Daily Mail :

‘Pay now or I switch off the machines!’:

British tourist, 39, died after his family couldn't pay the £7,000 medical bill at an Egyptian hospital where he lay in a coma with suspected kidney failure

Adrian King fell seriously ill on a camel tour in the Red Sea resort of Hurghada. The 39-year-old was diagnosed with kidney failure and initially given dialysis.

Family claim doctors turned off his life support because a mix up with his travel insurance meant they could not pay for his care

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... liday.html

It's Hurghada again. Perhaps the Daily Mail should open an office here. The events occurred last May so it's taken a little while for the family to enlist the "help" of the tabloids. I suppose "mix up" is one way of describing non-disclosure of a serious pre-existing illness!

In a nutshell, the family is maintaining that the hospital callously turned off life support simply for the reason that there was no prospect of the medical costs being paid......rather than the patient being brain dead.

Personally, I'd need some convincing on this, notwithstanding my doubts about health services generally in Egypt.

Not surprisingly, the secretiveness on the Egyptian side is allowing all sorts of speculation. Claims that the Foreign Office were unhelpful also take a bit of swallowing.

Absolute manna from heaven for the Daily Mail.

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:00 am

It does state that all this came out at an inquest, though it doesn't give the date that it was held. Again I believe there is more to this story than what the tabloids are saying.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:13 pm

Isn't there always?
Carpe diem! :le:

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:44 pm

The Egyptian Hospital side of the story....

The Egyptian Hospital

Masrawy News published : The Full Story of the death of a British tourist -Adrian king- in hospital in Hurghada

A number of British newspapers, including Daily mail and Mirror published and claimed on Monday that a British tourist died on vacation in Egypt after the hospital switched off his life support device , because his family was unable to pay 7,000 pounds, a number of British newspapers, including Mirror and Daily Mail.

The family of the tourist, "Adrian King," claimed that the hospital switched off the ventilator " life support " because they was unable to pay a bill cost £ 7000 immediately, after a heart attack caused him to transferred to the hospital.

"Masrawy" contacted with the management of the "Egyptian Hospital" in Hurghada, which witnessed the incident; to respond to the British reports for this issue.
Dr. Mustafa Abadi, deputy director of the hospital, said that the issue dates back to May last year. The patient arrived on May 18 in a coma during his safari trip. He was immediately treated in response to a decision to receive the 48-hour emergency free of charge, The necessary tests and radiology were performed to diagnose the condition and to install the ventilator for the patient.

He added that the diagnosis was clear that the tourist was suffering from acute renal failure with liver failure, pointing out that the hospital does not have dialysis devices, and then the patient was sent to another hospital at the expense of the "Egyptian Hospital" about 100 kilometers , And performed dialysis 3 times.
He said that the patient had a heart failure three times, one during his dialysis, and was held in the other hospital for a day, and then completed treatment at the "Egyptian Hospital" in Hurghada until his death on May 29, 2017, due to cardiac arrest, concurrently Kidney and liver dysfunction.

As for the payment of the tourist's bill during his stay in the hospital, "Abadi" said that "the British insurance of the tourist responded late to the management of the hospital, and sent Email on May 24 for payment refusal for treatment of this patient without giving reasons, and may be disagreements with the insurance the patient, However, he was still in the hospital and was being received all medical treatment not affected by the insurance company's response.

And added “ no one paid a pound till now , the hospital called his family , their answer was we will see, then no reply , and no one can switch off ventilator device support patient life”

Abadi explained that the tourist did have any company from his family with him during the treatment period except for his girlfriend (Nicolas Wright), who visited him twice during his treatment.
"The body was handed over to the General Hospital of Hurghada, and in turn they continued with the embassy to take over his body. The patient's family did not ask us for any medical reports about his condition," he said.

In turn, Dr. Abdel Kader Dweidar, the owner of the Egyptian hospital, considered what the British newspapers "extortion" from the tourist family; abuse to the hospital and Egypt.
In a phone call to Masrawy, Dweidar said that the hospital administration paid the costs of the patients' dialysis sessions outside the hospital at 800 euros per session, and the total cost of his treatment was 7,000 euros, which his family did not pay.

And he said "It is impossible for a ventilator to be switched off or separated from any patient even if he does not pay for the treatment,"

https://www.facebook.com/egyptianhospit ... c0&fref=nf

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:13 pm

Would anyone pay an outstanding medical bill if the person was now dead? I doubt it.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.