Never say never..

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Never say never..

Post by John Landon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:39 pm

Stranger things indeed..

Looks like we may be coming back to Luxor for a few days this year. :up

We were trying to decide where to go for our main 2 week holiday this year.
The Wife suggested Hurgharda, but we already spent 2 weeks there a few years ago, and that was 13 days too many for me, so I said no to that idea..

We have been frequenting other African countries, Turkey and Mexico since our last time in Luxor these last 6 years, so the better half suggested we go to Hurgarda, get the bus to Luxor and book in at the Jollie Ville for a week.
we have an excellent rate offered to us, so much so we can afford to abandon Hurgharda for a week or so.

I am looking forward to this, as I had long since resigned myself to not seeing the place again, and one to put down to the "been there, done that" item on the World travel list..

Ne dis Jamais jamais... ? 8)

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Never say never..

Post by Horus » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:52 pm

The Jollie Ville is probably my favourite venue for Luxor, at least you can have a peacefull walk around the island in the mornings and watch the fishermen in their little boats, or sit with your feet in the Nile watching the birdlife, bliss.

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:39 pm

That's probably why I love Aswan so much, Horus. On an island, in the middle of the Nile! Sheer bliss!

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:18 am

It is a great place, and I know my wife is safe on that island while I am off over the West Bank.

Anyone know if Dr Hassan is still with us, every year I saw him I thought it would be the last time ?
He was a lovely man.
My Old Grandma was on her last legs so she said as soon as we moved into the big house and she realised it had more than 1 spare room. She caused lots of problems and had to go.. She lasted another 30 years !

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:49 am

John Landon wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:18 am
It is a great place, and I know my wife is safe on that island while I am off over the West Bank.

Safe from what?
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:33 am

Well Hepzibah, that's just it. Different people have different perceptions of what may and may not be safe.
The island is secure, and of course hassle free, so that makes my wife feel safe.
Plus during the 7 years when we frequented Luxor many many times, we got to know all the staff there.

For anyone who may be interested, if you contact the Hotel directly, they do have some very good rates at the moment.

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:39 am

I have to say I agree with JL on this one, the lack of any form of hassle is a real bonus. The island is a magnet for bird life and around the periphery it is still quite natural in many places, one of my greatest pleasures was to be able to take a circular stroll each morning without the remotest chance of being hassled by someone or interrupting my reverie with some banal enquiry.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:48 pm

I ask 'safe from what' purely because the word 'safe' has been used, and abused, so much in commentrys relating to Luxor, especially since 2011.

I think for readers less familiar with Luxor it's helpful to give more information.
-Aldous Huxley

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:31 pm

I cannot answer for JL, but I took it to mean he feels it is safer to leave his wife in the isolation and security of Kings Island than her having to maybe wander around Luxor itself exposed to all the hassle that many women get even when accompanied. In addition the attitude towards tourists especially those who refuse a proffered service is often met with a nasty remark since the revolution took place. Safe is a state of mind, but we all know that some locations are deemed less safe than others.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:35 pm

Yes, I understand that. However, my view point is from that of a woman who travels there alone, stays in 3* ish hotels and, up until my last visit, tends to walk around between destinations on the East Bank. Last time I did, regrettably, have to resort to using a taxi more often than not, but did not have particular issues with that.

I'm not saying I've never been afraid in Luxor, because I have. I had a particularly nasty incident on the West Bank some years ago - documented here at the time - which did knock my confidence for being in the ferry area for a long time and friends had to meet off the ferry and wait with me until I was on the return ferry and it was departing (having checked who was around). Thankfully, although still cautious, I can now make that part of the journey on my own again these days.
-Aldous Huxley

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:22 pm

King's Island/Jollie Ville and such slightly more isolated places do hold some attraction for me. I do often dream of being somewhere that I can sit in the shade to read or write, have meals and drinks prepared for me, even go for a stroll in peace and quiet with my trusty camera in hand. The reality of it is that I get tired of it too quickly and end up getting fidgety and frustrated. I can spend my life in solitude at home - in fact I often do - but when I've travelled somewhere afar, I need to explore a little and let my senses be overwhemed by everything. I need to communicate with local people, even if that is haggling for something I don't really need.
-Aldous Huxley

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:50 am

You and I are very much alike on that score Hepzibah..
I cant sit in the Sun all day, I like to be out and about doing things, and there is so much to do in Luxor.
My wife just enjoys chilling out with her books during the day ( I prefer to read at night for my own reasons )
Eveything she needs is there and I am just a phone call and a taxi ride away.
Dont get me wrong, I can lay in the Sun all day if the mood takes me. I did that in Yucatan a couple of years ago as I had a pretty busy year, and the resort was so luxurious, but we did have a couple of trips out to the various sites there.
but with Humidty at a constant 100% its best not to exert ones self too much..

I Think Luxor sparks my curious nature, and I love eveything about the place. The heat is a dry heat so I have no issue with that, and I dont get hassle as I always walk with a purpose, so generally people dont bother me, and if they do I can brush them off pretty quickly.

Once I am "strolling" with my Wife, then the hassle starts... Again, the hassle is what you make of it and its water off a ducks back to me, but I can do without it if you know what I mean..

This is why I cant really do Hurgharda and Sharm, there is sod all there for the likes of me to enjoy.
The Snorkeling at Dehab and a boat trip plus a day with the Bedouin in a remote camp was great, but once you have done that what else is there to do ?

It will be nice to be back, looking forward to seeing all the changes these last 6 years have brought...

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:16 am

Now her indoors was chatting about this last night ( while I am trying to watch a car restoration program ) :urm:
She said "How about the Winter Palace" ?

"Get the prices and we shall see, I really dont mind where we stay, but we know the Jollie Ville, and if you rember when we booked the Sonesta, supposedly one of the best hotels in Luxor and we left after 9 hours of being there, it was superficail, crap and grossly overrated".

Last time we stayed in the Winter Palace was in that new part at the front which has since been demolished.
Felt ill during the whole week we stayed there, and finally on the last night, the bathroom ceiling fell in due to the aircon unit leaking, which explains why I was so ill.

"So we can take out chances in a 19th Century colonial style hotel or stick with what we know" 8)

TBC....

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:44 am

Stayed there a couple of weeks ago John and had a wonderful time. The food, service and rooms where next to none. Plus the gardens offer a quiet safe refuge from the hassle of Luxor plus it's much nearer to all the attractions of Luxor. The public ferry not far away, so easy to get to the west bank. I was on my own and never had any problems in the hotel as a sole woman.
I love the Movenpick but do find it a little way out.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:37 am

I know folk who regularly ( 2 - 4 times a year) visit Luxor and book to stay at the Winter Palace Pavillion. Sometimes they've been moved over to rooms in the main building. They have use of all the facilities and thoroughly enjoy it. They tend to use a staff gate that takes them into the heart of town if they want to avoid Corniche hustlers.

Alas, I've never had the funds to stay there, but it does seem as though it would make a good compromise location for my needs.
Last time I stayed at the Lotus. OK, no frills, but I did actually spend more time than normal sitting by the Nile, book to hand in case I got bored with just watching life on the river.
-Aldous Huxley

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:41 am

Thanks both. It sounds like it might be quite good there. Alison is trying to find out what the room rates are for the WP as we speak.

We always used to use the WP Gardens as a short cut to save the hassle on the main drag, then we would call in and have a cuppa if it was in the afternoon. I love the general ambience of the place and the smell of the gardens in the evening.

I still miss the Mercure Inn, ( egotel, Swiss Inn, ) it was a delightful hotel with a lovely enchanting small garden at the front, the back of the hotel also backed onto the WP gardens, so we would cut throgh there as well.
It was the first place we stayed at back in 2006. It changed names a couple of times, then got knocked down which was a shame.

It may be nice to stay at the WP main building, just for the experience. Que Sera Sera... :up

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:07 am

I always book the Pavilion wing, enjoy all the facilities of the Palace but cheaper. A few years ago though I booked my few days there and found I had been upgraded to the Palace. There were so few guests that they had decided to lump everyone together in one building. It was nicer but not much.
I always use the back door too, quick escape route onto Medina, TV Street and Manchia. one thing it definitely has over the Movenpick is the smell of newly cut grass. Wish I could bottle that smell.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:13 am

As your delightful wife will be spending a lot more time at the hotel than yourself, let her choose! It will still be low season, so the Pavillon is inexpensive and Old Winter Palace probably affordable.
I have had several breaks this summer in both. If I stay at Pavillon, I pay a little extra for breakfast at OWP, which is a far better value.

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:20 pm

Alison will be in touch Bennu. :up

I have taken some advice from another member on this forum and am finding some reasonable deals for the WP.
Speaking to SWMBO last nihgt, I dont think she minds which hotel we stay in.. May as well go out with a bang though and try to get the WP. 8)

I treated her to the best room in Lake Vynwy Hotel just before Christmas, as its a place we frequent quite often, although we had never stayed there. It was a truly magical experience staying there at that time of year..
though for me, a spur of the moment chance opportunity to stay overnight at the lodge at Pistyll Rhaeadr came a very close second...

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:35 pm

Don't forget to visit us poor 'tomb raiders when in town.
Bacon is always a lifesaver as is a bottle of Newcastle Brown...'be lucky G... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.