Car/Driver Payment

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Marydoll58
United Kingdom

Car/Driver Payment

Post by Marydoll58 »

Hi all. I have booked a car/driver for 4 days. Should i be paying him upfront. or at the end of the hire period ? Thanks All.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Re: Car/Driver Payment

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Have you booked this through a reputable tourist company, or is it with a normal street taxi?

If through a company it probably is normal to pay in advance. Certainly I've done that without a problem.

If I was using a normal taxi I'd probably pay by the day, confirming the following days arrangements, and then on the final journey make the final payment + tip if appropriate.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Marydoll58 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:31 pm
Hi all. I have booked a car/driver for 4 days. Should i be paying him upfront. or at the end of the hire period ? Thanks All.
Hello Marydoll, you have already booked this car and driver, so that is settled. For each day I assume you know exactly what you want to see. If your itinerary is not fully filled on the first day for the price you have agreed, then pay him off at the end of the day's work, and do not use him the second day, there are enough taxi drivers who have full knowledge, without employing a separate guide.

However, if and only if, you have really enjoyed your day with this driver, then expect to pay an additional tip of 10% remember, like I have often written on this site, it is most important that you read a guide book before arriving anywhere in Egypt. You never pay a driver before your adventure. Would you do this in the U.K.?

More than thirty years ago, I read two guide books, and although my Grandfather had already lived there almost twenty years before my arrival, I was able to show him new things in the near desert at Luxor, that he had never seen,....thanks to the then modern guide books. In the Nile Valley it is vital to read the guide book before arrival. The Rough Guide remains the 'bible'.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Marydoll58 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:31 pm
Having already made one reply, I've since been wondering...as you have already booked your car and driver, was there no mention of payment in the agreement. I assume cost was discussed, but did the company or driver not say when they expected payment?
-Aldous Huxley

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Marydoll, Yildez and I used a car for a few days, we booked with Oceanus, a very reliable tour company here in Luxor. We discussed where we wanted to go, what time we wanted to leave and where we wanted picking up. The owner of the company then told us how much it would be and we paid in advance.
At the end we gave the driver a good tip.
If I were just using an ordinary taxi however I would tell him where I wanted to go how long I was expecting to be in certain sites and then ask how much.
I would also make it clear that I did not want to visit any papyrus factory's, alabaster or perfume shops.
If all went well I would pay him for his work that day and make arrangements for the next.
Tipping is entirely up to you, good efficient service I believe deserves a tip.

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

Having lived here for several years, I would ALWAYS use Oceanus for long distance trips.
Regarding short trips - a couple of days ago, immediately having got off a motorboat I was stopped by someone asking me if I wanted a taxi. Actually I did want a taxi to go to Karnak, so we agreed a price, as I thought he was the driver. However walking up to the corniche he kept saying"Pay me now, Pay me now!" Obviously I refused to do this - getting to the top of the steps he disappeared , he wasnt the taxi driver after all. Havent come across that before .

Marydoll58
United Kingdom

Post by Marydoll58 »

Thank you all for the prompt and useful advice. I got the drivers name , through the internet. There was plenty of recommendations for the guy, ( helicopter Hamid ) I’ve had a price from him for the four days. I’ll probably talk with him about what I want to do each day. I think I prefer the idea of paying him each day. Also avoiding the alabaster, perfume, papyrus outlets, is a good tip. Thanks to you all for the great advice, really grateful. Any other advice would be deeply appreciated. Thanks all.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Think you are wise, just say what you want to do the first day, negotiate a price then see how it goes. Pay him at the end of the day and if your happy arrange another day with him.
Don't know if you have been before but sightseeing can be very hot and tiring, so if you are here for more than 4 days have a day off between jaunts.
Do enjoy yourself.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Marydoll, you will have no problem with Hamdy. I was introduced to him many years ago and have used him regularly when in Luxor. He has never let me down. He is polite and not constantly pressuring with questions (unlike so many of the drivers). I pay him per agreed trip, at the end of each trip/day.

In my first post I mentioned 'reputable tourist company' and others have named Oceanus. I agree with them too as that us the company that was in my mind st the time.
-Aldous Huxley

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux »

Marydoll58 hope you are having a good trip. We would always recommend Hamdy as Hepzi says he is excellent. He is a lovely smooth driver and avoids the potholes which is great :) If you get the chance please tell him Mr Barry and Fran from the West Bank say Hello as we didn't get a chance to see him to say goodbye before we left.