New visitors

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: New visitors

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:43 am
Bet one cannot get a negative PCR test certificate when leaving Egypt... 8)
Ps: Out of our frying pan into................
Several hospitals provide them. And there’s a good chance it’ll show negative even if you’re at death’s door :lol:

Apparently they are accepted everywhere....not that you need one if going to U.K. At the moment 8)

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Just to further confuse the issue.....

EGYPTAIR announces that effective Tuesday, September 1st 2020, passengers of all nationalities, including Egyptians, are required to provide negative PCR Test Certificate for (COVID-19) issued not more than 48 hours prior to arrival to any of the Egyptian Airports.
EGYPTAIR customers are required to check the travel requirements to Egypt and to other EGYPTAIR destinations through www.egyptair.com or contact EGYPTAIR call center 1717 in Egypt.

As part of the efforts of the government of the Arab Republic of Egypt to combat the new corona virus
Egypt Aviation announces the necessity of introducing its Egyptian and foreign customers arriving at all airports of the Arab Republic of Egypt as of 1 September, which reports a PCR analysis to detect the new corona virus with a negative result, at least 48 hours before reaching Egyptian lands.
Customers of the National Company of the Arab Republic of Egypt can review travel requirements to Egypt and other countries around the world through their website www.egyptair.com or call center 1717 in Egypt.

From various comments on the above notice ( on the EgyptAir website) it appears the 48 hours is from the time of the TEST RESULT ( not the test itself) to the ARRIVAL TIME on Egyptian soil. Whether this makes getting a valid certificate easier or harder is difficult to say. :lol:

The article seems contradictory in places. In plain English, saying “at least 48 hours” would seem to open the possibility of taking a test several days before flying!! Surely this is not what’s meant? Is it a translation error?

Your guess is as good as mine! :lol:

Moonstone
V.I.P
V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Moonstone »

:ni: :ni:
Nil desperandum

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Moonstone wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:59 pm
:ni: :ni:
I quite agree.

Having trawled through the hundreds of comments on the EgyptAir website, and Egyptair’s response to some.....they seem to be saying the 48 hours is timed from the date of the test results.

This ignores the fact that the test certificates being issued, as far as I know, show the date of the test...NOT the date of the analysis or the sending of the certificate! This would make sense in terms of what the test is supposed to achieve and be in line with the practice of most companies.Total confusion all round.

Of course, EgyptAir does not speak for the government or other airlines so I suppose we’ll have to await 1st Sept and see what travellers actually experience.

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal »

EGYPTAIR announces that effective Tuesday, September 1st 2020, passengers of all nationalities, including Egyptians, are required to provide negative PCR Test Certificate for (COVID-19) issued not more than 48 hours prior to arrival to any of the Egyptian Airports.
That's all very well but if a PCR certificate is required to enter any Egyptian port how the hell will you get the result within 48 hours? If the result is not known in time you stand to lose up to £200 for a test if it's more than 48 hours old. Those who are travelling to Heathrow will probably not be in possession of such a certificate by the time they're due to fly on the 3pm departure.

On Facebook forums there are many conflicting comments regarding the test procedures. Some say an NHS email is satisfactory and sailed through, some say they were shouted at on arrival in Cairo because the NHS email didn't have the letters PCR. Some say Egyptair will refuse travel unless you have a PCR certificate. Make of all this what you will. I'm definitely keeping away from Egypt.

I wonder what changes there will be on September 2nd!!!!

jcoote

Post by jcoote »

Hi Crewmeal. I have just checked my NHS result emails. They don't have the letters PCR, although they do state what the actual test was for. In addition, they don't even state the date that the test was carried out.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Once again what a shambles. Welcome to Egypt all you hoards of foreign tourists.

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal »

Hi Crewmeal. I have just checked my NHS result emails. They don't have the letters PCR, although they do state what the actual test was for. In addition, they don't even state the date that the test was carried out.
So really it's of little use to anyone one else except yourself knowing you've had a test and you're clear. But some Egyptian immigration officers seem to think it's ok. Long may it reign!!!

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

crewmeal wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:29 am
So really it's of little use to anyone one else except yourself knowing you've had a test and you're clear. But some Egyptian immigration officers seem to think it's ok. Long may it reign!!!
I suspect that if you have a test certificate of some sort, whatever dates it contains won’t trouble the Egyptians too much!

I’m currently en route via Istanbul having assured the airline that, contrary to their information, I don’t need a certificate. I hope I’m right :lol:

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal »

Good luck Newcastle I wish you well.

jcoote

Post by jcoote »

newcastle wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:16 am
crewmeal wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:29 am
I suspect that if you have a test certificate of some sort, whatever dates it contains won’t trouble the Egyptians too much!

I’m currently en route via Istanbul having assured the airline that, contrary to their information, I don’t need a certificate. I hope I’m right :lol:
I wouldn't risk trying to use my emails as any sort of proof, but then, i'm not the luckiest of people.
Good luck with your travels!

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy »

"I’m currently en route via Istanbul having assured the airline that, contrary to their information, I don’t need a certificate. I hope I’m right"

A much as we are desperate to get back "home"; I've got to say that "You're a better man than I am....etc etc."

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:16 am

It will be interesting to read your first hand account of travel from the UK to Egypt. I for one would be interested in your experience at each of the airports - UK, Turkey, Egypt - and everything in between.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

hope you got back safely Newcastle.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Well I’m here, in Hurghada, safe and sound in the bosom of my family and enjoying a swim in the body temp pool under blue skies!

The journey....Stansted-Istanbul-Hurghada on Pegasus was tolerable. I could have cheerfully strangled the ignorant morons on the Istanbul- Hurghada leg who refused to obey instructions regarding social distancing etc but everyone was well behaved in airports, wearing masks etc.

We were handed a form pre disembarking at Hurghada which requires personal details, address in a Egypt etc and confirmation that we neither had COVID symptoms nor knowingly had been in contact with anyone who had. The declaration further stated we would contact authorities if we developed symptoms and finished with a waiver of any rights against Egyptian govt should we fall ill.

No mention of insurance anywhere.

An officer collected forms as we disembarked...at the plane hatch! Presumably anyone who didn’t hand in a signed form would be refused exit from plane!

In arrivals hall, no visa stamp necessary. The immigration officer checked passport and stamped blank page, took our landing cards ( still required and found scattered about in arrivals hall) and we were through.

Biggest relief was finding Pegasus hadn’t mislaid my luggage en route. :lol:

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Thank you newcastle.
It is always good to read a very up to date, first hand account of such experiences.
Now all we need is to hear from others who have also done a similar journey very recently to see how consistent the Egyptian experiences are. ;-)

Enjoy your visit to your family and friends.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

From various announcements from State officials, reproduced ( not always accurately) in the media, everything will change on 1sr Sept with ALL arrivals, to ALL airports, requiring a PCR negative certificate obtained within 72 ( maybe 48?) hours of arrival in Egypt.

This is likely to have a serious negative effect on tourism and I’m already reading reports that the government may relax this requirement...especially where it does not currently apply....Red Sea etc.

Whether there is any substance to these reports - rumours - we will see. 1st Sept I imagine.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

newcastle wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:19 am
From various announcements from State officials, reproduced ( not always accurately) in the media, everything will change on 1sr Sept with ALL arrivals, to ALL airports, requiring a PCR negative certificate obtained within 72 ( maybe 48?) hours of arrival in Egypt.
According to Egyptair, it cannot be obtained more than 48 hours before arrival.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

BENNU wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:04 pm
newcastle wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:19 am
According to Egyptair, it cannot be obtained more than 48 hours before arrival.
Yes....but there is some uncertainty over the “obtained before”. According to EgyptAir. It’s 48 hours from the date of the result.....not the date of the test. So , if there are 2-3 days between you being tested and receiving a result, you could be over the 72 hours which the government minister announced as the maximum between testing and arrival.

Confused?? So are many...and the uncertainty is yet to be officially removed.

I have just received an SMS from EasyJet pertaining to my flight GTW-HRG 2nd Sept saying a test has to “be obtained” 48 hours before departure. Whether that’s the date of rest or notification of result remains unclear. As I’m not taking that flight I don’t intend to waste any more time seeking clarification.

The EasyJet message does mention that a result via SMS or email is acceptable on departure...and hopefully on arrival too!

Getting your result within 48 hours will be even more of a logistical problem than 72 hours.

My next booked flight with EasyJet is not until Jan 2021. Hopefully there’ll be some clarity by then....or no resting required.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

According to the current EgyptAir website 28Aug).....

Starting from 01 Sep 2020 :

-All passengers "including Egyptians" travelling to Egypt MUST be in possession of negative PCR test (48) hours before arrival.
-All children "regardless their nationalities" under 6 years old are exempted from PCR test.
-The submitted PCR certificate will be accepted if it meets these requirements:

1)It includes the hour and the date of withdrawal of the sample, which is the date on which the 48 hours will be counted.
2)Issued by an authorized accredited laboratory and stamped with the laboratory’s stamp and does not contain scraping, cancellation or addition.
3)Indicating the type of sample taken for the swab .
4)Indicating that The type of test is (RT - PCR). “

Clear as mud...and at some variance from EasyJet. Note use of “ date of withdrawal of sample”,,,,whatever that means. :lol: Also, from what I’m hearing on social media, not easy to comply with in U.K.