Egypt Reportedly Ordered 30,000 Rockets From North Korea

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egypt Reportedly Ordered 30,000 Rockets From North Korea

Post by DJKeefy »

Egypt Reportedly Ordered 30,000 Rockets From North Korea in $23m Deal Foiled by U.S.

Egyptian business executives ordered $23 million worth of rockets from North Korea for the Egyptian army in a complex and illicit arrangement that was thwarted by U.S. intelligence services, The Washington Post reported on Monday.

The failed deal prompted a United Nations investigation and a series of U.S. complaints over Egypt's sanction-defying attempts to purchase North Korean weaponry, just one link in the chain of a global arms trade that the report describes as a "vital financial lifeline" for the country's leader, Kim Jong Un.

Egypt's purchase was foiled when U.S. intelligence officials spotted a rusty freighter flying Cambodian colors chugging toward the Suez Canal. A message was then transmitted from Washington to Cairo, warning about the ship's North Korean origin and crew, and the fact that its mysterious cargo was hidden by bulky tarps.

When customs officials searched the vessel upon its arrival in Egyptian waters, they discovered a stock of over 30,000 rocket-propelled grenades hidden under bins of iron ore in what the UN report would later describe as the "largest seizure of ammunition in the history of sanctions" against Pyongyang.

Although the Egyptian Embassy in Washington claimed Cairo had cooperated with the UN by detecting and destroying the arms – thus abiding by UN restrictions on arms purchases from Pyongyang – U.S. officials said that Washington had essentially forced Cairo to foil the shipment by alerting authorities through diplomatic channels.

Following the UN report, the Trump administration decided in July to withhold $290 in military aid cut out for Egypt over its military deals with North Korea, which, according to the report, has become "a kind of global eBay for vintage and refurbished Cold War-era weapons."

The U.S. State Department said at the time that aid to Egypt was being reduced because of what it called the country's lack of progress on human rights and a new law restricting the activities of nongovernmental organizations. Its statement did not refer specifically to the relationship between Egypt and North Korea, but said that issues in dispute had been raised with Cairo.

In response, Cairo said the decision could have negative consequences for the mutual interests of the two countries, and canceled a meeting that had been scheduled between Egyptian Foreign Minister Samah Shoukry and Trump’s aide and son-in-law, Jared Kushner.

Egypt's ties with North Korea are not new. Cairo has been close with the hermit kingdom since at least the 1970s. North Korean pilots trained Egyptian fighter pilots before the Yom Kippur War, and Egypt was later accused of supplying Scud missiles to Pyongyang.

According to a report by South Korea's Yonhap news agency, Egypt's defense minister announced in September that his country had cut its military ties with North Korea.

Mohammed el-Menshawy, an Egyptian analyst based in Washington, told The Associated Press at the time that the Trump administration had been privately urging Cairo to cut military ties with Pyongyang.

"The recent cut in the U.S. military aid to Egypt was a clear message to Cairo: You choose us or North Korea, you cannot have military relations with both of us," he said. "Cairo got the message and it cut ties with North Korea."

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Egypt Reportedly Ordered 30,000 Rockets From North Korea

Post by Dusak »

And I can only presume that Egypt paid for the delivery before shipment. That will mean more price increases across the board to rake it back. :(
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Naughty Egypt

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/861 ... p-US-Egypt

So what will happen to that lot I wonder?
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Thought the same thing D, price rises looming, and if Buttbubble stops all aid even more price rises. It seems the world is getting wise to Egypt all of a sudden.....
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Its not just an allegation. There seems to have been an actual siezure of the 'delivery' in the Suez Canal.

They need to get smarter on where they buy their rockets because buying from some lunatics is, at this particular time, and given who pays the bills, not a good idea. You also wonder about the judgement of some people and how effective the immense security service is in hiding things because having the 'cousins' catch you at it, and catch you at it in the Suez Canal, seems to imply that someone doesn’t have the smarts even in their own back yard. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... 98cb160be9

Given the mood in Washington and the unpopularity of the FM and a few others, the multiple private consultants revealed in Washington as their paid lobbyists, the lack of effort in Yemen and in the current ISIS campaign, the bad publicity on human rights, the new Russian friendship, the 'playing around' in Libya and Ethiopia, the current tensions with the Sudan and Saudi (remember the Saudi's stopped oil deliveries a few months ago as payback for something), the bizarre positive views about Syria and the poor relations with Turkey- its difficult to remember a less happy time for Egypt from a foreign policy point of view. Its friends and allies must, at this point in time, be a short list but probably includes the French because of all the recent military purchases.

Maybe a new FM - and quite a few others are needed? Maybe a new foreign policy? Maybe Naguib Sawiris should be charged with criminal commercial dealings with North Korea?
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Hafiz there are many useless FM's around the world, inexperience, nepotism and many other things make it that the world is loosing statesmen and putting in Bull------s to lead Countries nowadays. It seems to be creating frustration and hostilities the world over. So agree with many of the things you say. Maybe if there were more women in politics things would change, its common knowledge that men are far more aggressive in their outlook, maybe a softer more maternal approach may heal the world.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Major Thom wrote:Hafiz there are many useless FM's around the world, inexperience, nepotism and many other things make it that the world is loosing statesmen and putting in Bull------s to lead Countries nowadays. It seems to be creating frustration and hostilities the world over. So agree with many of the things you say. Maybe if there were more women in politics things would change, its common knowledge that men are far more aggressive in their outlook, maybe a softer more maternal approach may heal the world.
Like Aung San Suu Kyi? An opinion poll of the Rohingya will give you a better insight into ''a softer more maternal approach.''
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:
Major Thom wrote:Hafiz there are many useless FM's around the world, inexperience, nepotism and many other things make it that the world is loosing statesmen and putting in Bull------s to lead Countries nowadays. It seems to be creating frustration and hostilities the world over. So agree with many of the things you say. Maybe if there were more women in politics things would change, its common knowledge that men are far more aggressive in their outlook, maybe a softer more maternal approach may heal the world.
Like Aung San Suu Kyi? An opinion poll of the Rohingya will give you a better insight into ''a softer more maternal approach.''
Female leaders .... Golda Meir, Indira Gandhi, Margaret Thatcher and many more....have been anything but "softer" or "more maternal".

I doubt Hilary Clinton would have been a particularly cuddly occupant of the White House either :lol:

The role of a state leader requires someone with balls....real or imagined. :ct
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Yes but like the women mentioned there was always a sting in the tail. You know like a Doctor Foster Sting!