13-year-old dies during FGM surgery

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

13-year-old dies during FGM surgery

Post by DJKeefy »

A thirteen-year-old girl died on Thursday while undergoing female genital mutilation (FGM).

According to Tamer Ghanem, Al-Dostour Party office head in Aga, asurgeon, Raslan Fadl, conducted the surgery on Soheir Al-Batae in his private clinic in Daqahleya.

“Fadl drugged the girl himself; he did not have with him an anesthesiologist,” Ghanem said. “It was the cause of Al-Batae’s death.”

Ghanem said Fadl rushed the girl to Aga Hospital but she dead before they arrived. Ghanem added that the girl’s family is now accusing Fadl of killing their daughter.

In a statement, the National Council for Women (NCW) condemned the “criminal act” of FGM, which led to the 13-year-old’s death.

The NCW stated that FGM is an “extremely brutal” act which violates human rights, reported state-owned news agency MENA. The council added that the act breaches national as well as international laws.

The council demanded an immediate and inclusive investigation into the “tragic” incident. They urged the health minister to issue a swift inspection of all private clinics and close those which conduct FGM. Practitioners should be prosecuted the NCW said.

Despite the Supreme Constitutional Court rejecting a lawsuit calling for nullifying Law 242 which criminalises FGM, calls for legalising female circumcision continue.

The NCW said they had earlier put an end to free FGM surgeries offered by a “certain political party which abused the proliferating ignorance and the poor living conditions… to promote FGM” in Minya.

In April 2012, residents of a village in Minya reported seeing a medical convoy organised by the ruling Freedom and Justice party (FJP) to conduct FGM on female residents in the area.

The FJP denied the accusation and said there was no evidence of such a convoy, but according to a brochure published by state-run Al-Ahram, the convoy did promote FGM surgery. Additionally, a former Salafi MP submitted a draft law to the 2012 parliament before its dissolution to legalise the practice.

Source: http://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2013/06/0 ... m-surgery/

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: 13-year-old dies during FGM surgery

Post by Bullet Magnet »

:stp :stp :stp
When will they learn ? no one has any right whatsover to do this to another individual... :|
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

It's illegal in the UK - but it still goes on! Barbaric practise! :x
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

To my mind its the girls family that are ultimately responsible for their daughters death by forcing this most barbaric practice on her.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Culture "D" and we will not stop that! only by legislation, and Doctors that will implement the legislation
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Doctor in FGM teen death case released.

Prosecutors in Daqahliya on Tuesday ordered the release of Dr. Aslan Hammouda, the man allegedly responsible for the death an Egyptian girl during a female genital mutilation (FGM) operation, pending investigation.

Hammouda is charged with causing the death of 13-year-old Soheir Mohamed while conducting the operation.

The doctor had turned himself in, claiming the operation was at the request of the girl’s family and denying accusations of negligence leading to her death.

“The operation was successful and the girl did not suffer any bleeding,” he said.

The girl’s mother, Hasanat Fawzy, said Soheir told the doctor she had a cold and asked if this would affect the operation in any way.

“He said it would not and told her to come the next day fasting,” she said.

Daqahliya governor Salah al-Meadawy has ordered the closure of the medical facility that carried out Soheir’s procedure.

Source: http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/do ... e-released
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Closed his clinic, shame, as that will knock a hole in his earnings for a few days until he can find another back street abode to carry out this sick practice. But I still say the parents caused the death of their daughter and I hope they remember this each and every day of their miserable dark ages lives. By not charging him, it just goes to show that the powers that be support this practice and place very little worth on a female child's life. Shame on them all.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

The lessons are there for all to see... This poor soul is another....

Surely if one is truly religious, then they woudl not be chopping bits off girls and boys, its kind of like saying God made a mistake and we need to correct it.
Did god not make man in his own image ?

Rationale and Religion, never will those two words bee seen in the same sentence... :py :py :py
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

[quote=''BM''] Rationale and Religion, never will those two words bee seen in the same sentence... :py :py :py[/quote]

So, what would you rather bee or a wasp? :tk
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I see the Grammar Nazi's are on patrol today.. :up Thank You Mr Pedantic... :cg

:snig:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Its very rare I get the chance BM, I don't like commenting on my own as it would seen to others that I was self appraising, and that doesn't go down to well on here. :st