Egyptian PM confirms govt resignation 24/02/2014

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Egyptian PM confirms govt resignation 24/02/2014

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Breaking News:

Staff writer, Al Arabiya News
Monday, 24 February 2014
Egyptian Prime Minister Hazem el-Beblawi confirmed that the government has resigned on Monday, according to Reuters news agency.

Citing an unnamed source, state-run Al Ahram newspaper said on its website on Monday the decision was made after a 15-minute meeting of the cabinet.

Army chief Field Marshal Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, who is expected to run for president, was part of the cabinet, serving as defense minister.

In an interview with Al Arabiya News in January, Beblawi was asked whether Egypt was returning to military rule following the army-backed ouster of Islamist President Mohammad Mursi last year.

“This is something people have in their minds, in their imagination. I’ve been in the cabinet for about six months, I haven’t felt any time that I am run by the military people,” he said.

“I told you my conviction and I promised prior to my assuming a public office, that I think Egypt after January 2011 is immune to military dictatorship and military rule. On the contrary, people are much more in command than ever before.”

(Developing story)

Last Update: Monday, 24 February 2014 KSA 13:46 - GMT 10:46

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/mi ... signs.html

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Re: Egyptian PM confirms govt resignation 24/02/2014

Post by BENNU »

http://egyptianstreets.com/2014/02/24/e ... t-resigns/

In a televised address, Interim Prime Minister Hazem El-Beblawi announced that the government had submitted its resignation to Interim President Adly Mansour after a short cabinet meeting.

According to Beblawi, the government had done all it can to restore security and to lead Egypt through its transitional phase. However, Beblawi added that the government cannot act alone, and that for the country to strive and stabilise, all Egyptians needed to work together for the future they aspire for.

However, Beblawi did not provide a solid reason for the resignation. Analysts have attributed the decision to increasing unpopularity of the government, including strikes across various fields: from public transport to police and doctor strikes.

While initial reports stated that Housing Minister Ibrahim Mahlab would become Egypt’s new Prime Minister, Mahlab denied that he had been offered any position.

Egypt’s Presidency further announced that the current government will continue to operate until a new one is formed.

Rumors have stated that the resignation sets Military Chief Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi in a prime position to run for President.

The Interim Government had been appointed in July 2013 when Morsi was ousted from power following protests across the country. The deposed President is currently standing trial for espionage, killing of protesters, escape from prison and more.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

"Rather than asking what has Egypt given us, we should instead be asking what we have done for Egypt" good and apt paraphrase of JFK.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/95095.aspx

Egypt’s Prime Minister Hazem El-Beblawi announced on State TV Monday that his cabinet has submitted its resignation to Interim President Adly Mansour.

Following a 15-minute meeting with the cabinet early on Monday, Beblawi said “reform cannot take place through the government alone,” adding that all Egyptians should strive to achieve the change they aspire to.

Beblawi also mentioned that Egypt currently faces huge challenges as well as great opportunities to be grasped. “It is time we all sacrificed for the good of the country. Rather than asking what has Egypt given us, we should instead be asking what we have done for Egypt,” he added at the end of his short televised speech.

A prominent economist and politician, Beblawi was named prime minister last July following the ouster of former president Mohamed Morsi and his prime minister Hisham Qandil’s government amid massive protests on 30 June 2013.

Beblawi’s government was subjected to criticism over the past few weeks by all colours of the political spectrum in Egypt.

He was criticised by many for taking too long to declare the Muslim Brotherhood a terrorist organisation in the wake of an upsurge in terrorist attacks on the police and army in the aftermath of the violent dispersal of pro-Morsi camps last August.

More recently, his cabinet came under fire by disgruntled workers after the exclusion of crucial groups of public sector workers from qualifying for a newly passed minimum wage law fuelled fury among workers, leading to strikes in a number of crucial sectors of the economy in recent days.

Public transport workers, textile workers, low-ranking policemen, postal workers and doctors are among a number of governmental sectors that went on strike in the past few days.

An official source told Ahram Online that Interim President Adly Mansour is expected to accept the cabinet's resignation and commission Ibrahim Mahleb, minister of housing in Beblawi’s government, to form the new cabinet.

In his statement, Beblawi, a co-founder of the Egyptian Social Democratic Party, said his government had accepted the responsibility at the time of its appointment because its ministers were among the few willing to face that challenge, and not because they were the most qualified.

El-Beblawi served as undersecretary-general at the UN between 1995 and 2000.

He was minister of finance in Essam Sharaf's cabinet from July to October 2011 during Egypt's post-revolution army-administered transitional phase.

He resigned in October 2011 to object to clashes in Cairo's Maspero district between military police and Coptic protesters in which 28 of the latter were killed.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Oh the games people play,.......

It seems obvious to me that ever since Butrus Galli resigned as Egypt's Finance Minister last year, no one, and it seems, no one has dared look into the vaults at the Bank of Egypt, or perhaps what we should call it is Pandora's Jar (for it was a jar and not a box) and there suddenly, behold it not only contained all the future evil that are to befall Egypt, but even as they looked further into the abyss, they could see that all the cash had gone.

The pantomime performance is over,..........exit stage right, pass-ports in hand. :wi :wi :wi .

"Oh what a circus, Oh what a show, When they're bringing the curtain down, Demand to be buried like Eva Peron, We've all gone crazy.............................".