Egyptian tourists third biggest spenders in UK

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

:mo Well, the Egyptians I know who can afford to travel probably spend a lot more than £149 (or LE1,769) per day. I just liked the headline and could not resist cutting and pasting. :mo

http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/eg ... penders-uk

The British Office for National Statistics said tourists from the Middle East are the biggest spenders in the United Kingdom, with Egyptians coming in at third place over all other nationalities.

Tourist from the Middle East spend a whopping 173 Sterling pounds (or LE2,052) on average per day, while tourists from the United Arab Emirates came in second place with 156 Sterling pounds (or LE1,852).

Egyptian tourists pay 149 Sterling pounds (or LE1,769) per day while in the United Kingdom, followed by Nigerians
, who spend 143 Sterling pounds (or LE1,697).

Meanwhile, US and European tourists spend significantly less while staying in the United Kingdom. Though French tourists are the most common visitor to the country, they only average 71 Sterling pounds (or LE842). Germans are the second-most common nationality to visit the United Kingdom, but only spend 74 Sterling pounds (or LE877). US visitors spent an average of 115 Sterling pounds (or LE1,364).

The statistics suggest that only the most affluent visitors from the top countries on the list are able to visit the United Kingdom, while many other less affluent citizens from more developed countries still manage to visit the country, despite having not as high incomes.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Egyptian tourists third biggest spenders in UK

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I almost was going to post that myself. Not surprised it took a Dane to post it!

Funny how a lot of the members here would balk at paying half that to visit Egypt.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

BENNU wrote::mo Well, the Egyptians I know who can afford to travel probably spend a lot more than £149 (or LE1,769) per day. I just liked the headline and could not resist cutting and pasting. :mo

http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/eg ... penders-uk

The British Office for National Statistics said tourists from the Middle East are the biggest spenders in the United Kingdom, with Egyptians coming in at third place over all other nationalities.

Tourist from the Middle East spend a whopping 173 Sterling pounds (or LE2,052) on average per day, while tourists from the United Arab Emirates came in second place with 156 Sterling pounds (or LE1,852).

Egyptian tourists pay 149 Sterling pounds (or LE1,769) per day while in the United Kingdom, followed by Nigerians
, who spend 143 Sterling pounds (or LE1,697).

Meanwhile, US and European tourists spend significantly less while staying in the United Kingdom. Though French tourists are the most common visitor to the country, they only average 71 Sterling pounds (or LE842). Germans are the second-most common nationality to visit the United Kingdom, but only spend 74 Sterling pounds (or LE877). US visitors spent an average of 115 Sterling pounds (or LE1,364).

The statistics suggest that only the most affluent visitors from the top countries on the list are able to visit the United Kingdom, while many other less affluent citizens from more developed countries still manage to visit the country, despite having not as high incomes.
Another revelation of the bleedin' obvious :zz
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I must say that I hadn't realized that there were so many Western women with Egyptian husbands. But its nice to see that they give them a bit of pocket money to spend while taking them on a visit to the land of golden pavements. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

If you think a western wife can make an Egyptian man that rich, then you obviously have never met a rich Egyptian! Even Luxor's moguls are just carrying pocket change in comparison.
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

If it wasn't for the visa restrictions the £149 per day would probably be -£149 per day.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

:mo I read this in a Danish article where it was mentioned that the combined fortune of the 104 billionaires in UK is about twice the GNP of Denmark. :mo

More than 100 billionaires living in Britain
Britain has more billionaires than any other country, as the number based in the UK has tripled in the last ten years

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... itain.html

The number of billionaires living in Britain has risen to more than 100 for the first time, a study has found.

Some 104 billionaires are now based in the UK - more than triple the number from a decade ago - with a combined wealth of more than £301 billion, according to the Sunday Times Rich List.

It means Britain has more billionaires per head of population than any other country, while London's total of 72 sterling billionaires is more than any other city in the world, the study found.

Indian-born brothers Sri and Gopi Hinduja top the list of the UK's wealthiest billionaires with a fortune of £11.9 billion.

The London-based pair, who run the global conglomerate Hinduja Group, saw their wealth rise by £1.3 billion in the last year, the study found.

They replaced Russian business magnate Alisher Usmanov at the top after the Arsenal shareholder saw his fortune fall to £10.65 billion, the Sunday Times Rich List said.

The richest Briton, the Duke of Westminster, is ranked 10th on the list after his fortune rose to £8.5 billion.

Last year, 88 billionaires were living in the UK, worth a total of more than £245 billion, according to the Sunday Times Rich List. In 2004, the number of billionaires in Britain was 30, with a combined wealth of £65 billion, it said.

Among the new members of the billionaire club is West End producer Sir Cameron Mackintosh, who saw his fortune rise by £175 million in the last year and is now worth £1 billion, the survey found.

Plymouth-born Chris Dawson, who owns and runs The Range discount store chain, saw his fortune rise by £695 million in the past 12 months to net £1.28 billion.

Meanwhile, Jon Hunt, founder of estate agents Foxtons, has a £1.07 billion fortune, up £145 million in 2013, the Sunday Times Rich List said.

Sports Direct founder Mike Ashley and Sir Richard Branson are among the UK's top 25 wealthiest billionaires.

In Scotland, Sir Brian Souter and Ann Gloag, the siblings who founded the Stagecoach transport empire, share a fortune of £1 billion - an increase of £270 million on last year.

The wealthiest new entry is Carrie and Francois Perrodo and their family, who own the London-based Perenco oil and gas operation and are said to be worth £6.14 billion.

It is the first time since 2008 that the minimum wealth of the 50 richest people in the country has exceeded £1.5 billion.

A decade ago, a personal fortune of £700 million was needed to be among Britain's 50 wealthiest people. The entry point to the UK top 50 today is £1.7 billion, the Sunday Times Rich List found.

The combined wealth of the Britain's super rich is now ahead of the pre-recession levels of 2008, when the total wealth of the UK's 75 billionaires was £201 billion.

Seventy two billionaires are now based in London, compared with 48 sterling-equivalent billionaires in Moscow, 43 in New York, 42 in San Francisco, 38 in Los Angeles and 34 in Hong Kong.

The 2014 Sunday Times Rich List will be published on May 18.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Glyphdoctor wrote:If you think a western wife can make an Egyptian man that rich, then you obviously have never met a rich Egyptian! Even Luxor's moguls are just carrying pocket change in comparison.
Yes yes, all said T in C. It really is hard at times.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Maakari
United Kingdom

Post by Maakari »

Sorry to say, I am a poor woman. I just Enrich his life. I am worth a million diamond mines, thousand herds of camels, an entire fleet of Lear Jets, 1000 oilfields, goldmines unlimited.....the list goes on!
But I bring to his life something special..............................Marmite.......and the ability to accent his english with a thick west coutry Burr.
Some things you can not put a price on!
As they say "I am Worth it!" ;)
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

Omar has a northern accent but more importantly he can sing you'll never walk alone when we go to the match
Stand up to be seen
Speak up to be heard
Shut up to be appreciated
Maakari
United Kingdom

Post by Maakari »

Good one!
I will draw the line at taking mine to a Wurzels concert, a stretch too far for his command of the English Language!!
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Adge Cutler was the worse one Maakari!!! He used to front the Wurzels in the 60's.