Mubarak trial circus continues....

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Mubarak trial circus continues....

Post by newcastle »

Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak has been sentenced to three years in jail on corruption charges after a retrial in the capital, Cairo.
His sons were given four years each in the same case which centres on the embezzlement of $14m (£9.3m) earmarked for renovation of presidential palaces.
The original conviction was overturned on 13 January over legal procedures.
This was the last court case hanging over Mubarak, who was toppled in the 2011 uprising.
Hosni Mubarak and his sons - Alaa and Gamal - were also fined for the amount embezzled and used to renovate their private residences in Cairo and on the Red Sea coast, as well as a family farm.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-32672630

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Mubarak trial circus continues....

Post by Dusak »

And now, apparently, they are all home sitting in the garden, freed by time served. Probably attempting to remember where in the garden he hid all the dosh.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Dusak wrote:And now, apparently, they are all home sitting in the garden, freed by time served. Probably attempting to remember where in the garden he hid all the dosh.
I think it may prove wise for this above comment to be removed at the earliest opportunity though as usual, others will think differently on this site.

A certain Egyptian gentleman with the initials B.Y.,who's profession was a surgeon, went on to become a very important personality on Egptian TV regularly making similar comments about other and present day leaders in Egypt, including the great General and now wonderful President Sisi. He found that not only did he lose his job, but was forced to leave the country, very, very sharply.

Those ex-pats, with bags packed and ready to go, and not wishing to pay for a taxi to the airport, may not learn from this post. Some should also remember that old army and Air Force generals stick together through thick and thin.

Glyphdoctor may make a comment here later, but then again I will clearly understand, if she chooses not to.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

A-Four wrote:A certain Egyptian gentleman with the initials B.Y.,who's profession was a surgeon, went on to become a very important personality on Egptian TV regularly making similar comments about other and present day leaders in Egypt, including the great General and now wonderful President Sisi. He found that not only did he lose his job, but was forced to leave the country, very, very sharply.
No relative of mine! :gg:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

A-Four wrote:
Dusak wrote:And now, apparently, they are all home sitting in the garden, freed by time served. Probably attempting to remember where in the garden he hid all the dosh.
I think it may prove wise for this above comment to be removed at the earliest opportunity though as usual, others will think differently on this site.

A certain Egyptian gentleman with the initials B.Y.,who's profession was a surgeon, went on to become a very important personality on Egptian TV regularly making similar comments about other and present day leaders in Egypt, including the great General and now wonderful President Sisi. He found that not only did he lose his job, but was forced to leave the country, very, very sharply.

Those ex-pats, with bags packed and ready to go, and not wishing to pay for a taxi to the airport, may not learn from this post. Some should also remember that old army and Air Force generals stick together through thick and thin.

Glyphdoctor may make a comment here later, but then again I will clearly understand, if she chooses not to.
I was sat watching the BBC news, perfectly sober and sound awake. It showed the judge pronouncing the same statement as I have printed here. Of course, the BBC may be playing a trick on us, the judge may have made a mistake as to whom he was freeing, or its just another one of those statements from the post advisory prat in attendance. :urm:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote:

Are you are suggesting that our current President would in some way interfere with the course of justice simply because he and former president Mubarak were members of the armed forces......i.e. blatant cronyism??

If so, you might consider removing such remarks lest they render you 'persona non grata' and unable to return to Egypt. :urm:
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

newcastle wrote:Are you are suggesting that our current President would in some way interfere with the course of justice simply because he and former president Mubarak were members of the armed forces......i.e. blatant cronyism??

If so, you might consider removing such remarks lest they render you 'persona non grata' and unable to return to Egypt. :urm:
Any one who reads modern Egyptian history, will discover that what ever anyone should think about ex President Mubarak, it remains fact that he was a war time hero. There is a mutal respect within military services throughout the world, especially Third World,for such people. As for whether President Sisi was connected in any way with the court proceedings, it is quite clear he was not.

As to I becoming 'persona non grata', well quite honestly, this bothers me not, however when I lived there, I always remembered that I was a guest in Egypt, and was very careful what I said or wrote. No way was I ever prepared for a three day notice to quit the country, and find myself in jail for that period, and to loose everything I had there, as others have in the past.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I'd be curious to hear more about these "others in the past." No need to use names or be explicitly, just general descriptions of their backgrounds and what it was specifically that made them persona non grata would be sufficient.

And again, pink elephants come to mind. If you say, I'm not going to talk about such-and-such because it would get me in trouble and I am censoring myself blah blah blah, isn't it kind of clear you are actually talking about such-and-such but not in so many words? If you really were going to keep quiet on a subject, you would just not mention it at all.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

My dear A-Four....

If there was an emoticon for "leg pull" I'd have used it in my earlier post....which was simply a riposte to your pompous and impertinent suggestion that Dusak (or admin) should remove his remarks concerning Mubarak's gardening activities.

Lighten up. :lol:

Now you've opened a real can of worms, the odour of which has drifted as far north as Alexandria :urm:

"it is quite clear he (Sisi) was not"....involved in the judicial process concerning Mubarak. You may be right. I wouldn't know. And nor do you. Who knows what hints & suggestions circulate in the corridors of power.

But the idea that someone making scurrilous remarks about the fallen angel might cause them problems simply because of the mateyness between ex-officers, or the esteem in which the armed forces are held, rather undermines the certainty of your belief....wouldn't you say? :cg
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

As to whether or not a judge or the BBC has made the above comment is not important, being that they have far more protection than you ever will have in Egypt. The fact remains YOU wrote the above comment, without quotation marks.

With the knowledge that certain legislation was to become law yesterday, I saw this posted on Sunday evening around 7p.m. I reported this to the admin section of this forum, with the view that it should be removed for your own safety in Luxor. I checked this around mid-night, it was still there, and that is why I posted the comment, and adding the fact that Glyphdoctor may choose to ignore it, being that she may be fully aware of the new laws in Egypt, with regards to Internet comments as of Monday 11th May 2015.

Sorry if you regard my comments here as ' the post advisory prat', but I am not on this site to be simply liked, but one thing you should notice is 'the silence of the lambs' on this subject, and I can assure you that the same applies, when one finds themselves in a jail for three days before deportation, with a hard floor, no blanket and no food.

Always remember that ex President Mubarak was well respected by many in Luxor, and it be that one such person might tick your box.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

As for myself, I am totally clueless as to the suggestions A4 is making about me or anything else in this thread. He's making increasingly bizarre statements as time passes.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Glyphdoctor wrote:As for myself, I am totally clueless as to the suggestions A4 is making about me or anything else in this thread. He's making increasingly bizarre statements as time passes.
As I said, may be aware.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I'm not commenting on the "aware" part. But then it is kind of hard to be aware of something that exists only in another person's mind.

I wish you would just leave me out of your allusions entirely because as far as I can tell, you exist on a completely different parallel universe from the one I and probably a lot of others exist in. We have an American saying, you have jumped the shark.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

With reference to the initials BY, this is Bassem Youssef who's show had a following of over thirty million in Egypt, and the new internet laws on Internet in Egypt, both can be checked on the Internet.

As to friends of ex-President Mubarak, well simply ask around in Luxor.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

And do you think that more than a just a handful of past friends would still quietly support him? All know that 'the family' robbed the country blind. He was involved in criminal and unethical events, so should face justice, same as the common man here does. Then Morsi hit the streets, showing how easy it was going to be to bring a country towards total ruination for a second time. He was ousted before it was too late to correct that which he would of started. Sisi, to me, looks like the man for the job, he is already gaining levels of respect from other countries, respect that the previous two never had, unless given directly to their faces for political value, the truth as to what their true thoughts about them kept behind closed doors. Sisi is governing Egypt, not Mubaraks wife and sons, or, in Morsi's case, a terrorist organization.

You A-four have always had the annoying habit of quoting 'your sources', or have been 'reliably informed', or brought up to date by one of your 'old crew' of years past, or by 'those in the know.' Never any names given for us that may be interested to check out, never any hard evidence, nothing in black or white. Just rumors, gossip and hearsay.

The digging up of the dosh was, in case you missed it, was my own tongue in cheek remark, but many say that there are still many millions unaccounted for. One of his sons personal wealth while serving time, I forget which one, and again on the same BBC report, has increased dramatically over the four years. Would this hidden money not still belong to Egypt and its people?

And in future, please leave the decision to delete one of my posts to those that monitor the forum as one God is more than enough. And if another member wishes to support your theory of imminent danger to another member, they will oblige you, not needing a subtle hint of coercion.