Airplane Carrying 224 Civilians Crashes in Egypt’s Sinai

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Airplane Carrying 224 Civilians Crashes in Egypt’s Sinai

Post by Winged Isis »

Airplane Carrying 224 Civilians Crashes in Egypt’s Sinai: Prime Minister

Egypt’s Prime Minister Sherif Ismail has confirmed that a passenger aircraft carrying at least 220 people has crashed in central Sinai, reported AFP.

The confirmation comes after Egyptian air traffic control lost all contact with the passenger plane shortly after take off from Sharm El-Sheikh.

Earlier, the Prime Minister had cancelled at trip to the governorate of Ismailiya after news of the crash. Egypt’s government has set up an emergency room to manage search and rescue operations.

It remains unclear which exact flight crashed, however reports indicate the flight, an Airbus 321, had been destined to land in St. Petersburg and was carrying mainly Russian tourists who had been holidaying in the Red Sea resort town of Sharm El-Sheikh. Russia Today meanwhile reports that the plane had been operated by Kolavia.

A flight radar search of flight KGL9268 shows it suddenly dropping to a speed of 62 knots (115 km/h) after, minutes earlier, the plane was travelling at up to 400km/h.

Reports indicate Egypt’s military is currently conducting sweeps of the area and search and rescue operations.

http://egyptianstreets.com/2015/10/31/a ... i-reports/

Carpe diem! :le:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Airplane Carrying 224 Civilians Crashes in Egypt’s Sinai

Post by newcastle »

They've found the wreckage and 45 ambulances are heading to the remote area.....not that there's much likelihood of survivors.

Speculation as to the cause is already, inevitably, rife on social media.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Another air tragedy. :(

I have just read reports that the teams at the scene believe there may be some survivors as they can hear voices from one part of the wreckage. Let's hope that if this is the case they are soon rescued and receiving proper medical care.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The latest report from Egyptian officials says " no survivors ".

Let's hope they're wrong.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I'm not sure I would like to survive an airplane crash, thank you!... :cool:
Ps: We did a few airplane crash simulations out the back of Gatwick years ago, and they the 'voluntary-survivor actors were quite for- real,
one actually died of hypothermia as we never located him lying way out in the middle of a nettle patch. 'prat!
Sophocles.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

"Brace,brace."

How many of us ever listen to or indeed pay any attention to the safety "speil"on a flight?

Do you know why we are told to place our hands at back of our necks on hearing this warning?

It's because the impact of a crash will cause us all to "break"our own necks and reduce our suffering..that is..death will be pain-free and quick.

So far,terrorism has been ruled out and primary investigation suggests that this has been an accident/malfunction.

Let's just hope and pray that the victim's families will take some comfort from this..in some way.

Disappointed to read on TA today that someone is actually considering the impact on "tourism!"!
224 innocent people dead..and all they can say is that they hope those "poor people"working in Sharm are not affected (financially)by this tragedy.

And Who2...flippant comments on simulation stuff in Gatwick are really not appreciated regarding this tragic news.
No post should make "light"of this hellish situation.

Enjoy your curry,and hope your pipes are cleared soon!

Sarcasm?..who knows?
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Scottishtourist wrote:"Brace,brace."

How many of us ever listen to or indeed pay any attention to the safety "speil"on a flight?

Do you know why we are told to place our hands at back of our necks on hearing this warning?

It's because the impact of a crash will cause us all to "break"our own necks and reduce our suffering..that is..death will be pain-free and quick.
Sounds like an urban myth.

---

"Russian tourists are very important to the Egyptian economy - one third of all tourists to Egypt, particularly the Sinai Peninsula, come from Russia. The high season here starts this month and it stretches all the way to April. This is quite a huge blow to the Egyptian tourism industry, which has already been suffering for the past five years, since the January 2011 revolution. Unfortunately it seems there's not going to be a big pick up this season either."

Ranyah Sabry, Cairo
BBC"
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Quote: And Who2...flippant comments on simulation stuff in Gatwick are really not appreciated regarding this tragic news.

I couldn't really give a flying duck what you do or do-not appreciate..to be honest.. :cool:
Sophocles.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Speculation now (front page news)that ISIL have played a part in downing the plane.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

That an airplane crashed with significant loss of life is tragic.

How everybody handles news such as this, makes sense of senseless tragedy and fits it into their world perception or world view is highly individualistic. There is no normative response to tragedy and an 'appropriate' response can't be dictated nor should it be expected.
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

Scottishtourist wrote:Speculation now (front page news)that ISIL have played a part in downing the plane.
I have seen this in the mornings news feeds. If true, ISIL can probably expect to be extinct by xmas, as I would expect Russia to retaliate with everything it has.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Not quite true. As a retired BA 'Trolly Dolly' I can tell you the reason to "brace brace brace" is to protect your head from any flying debris that might come your way in the event of an impact. It has nothing to do with breaking your neck. If people die it's because of an explosive decompression at 30,000 feet. MH17 and Lockerbie are other examples. How this one happened will become apparent in due course.

ISIS of course will claim responsibility for anything to to do with death and destruction in this way.
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Scottishtourist wrote:"Brace,brace."

So far,terrorism has been ruled out and primary investigation suggests that this has been an accident/malfunction.

Let's just hope and pray that the victim's families will take some comfort from this..in some way.

Disappointed to read on TA today that someone is actually considering the impact on "tourism!"!
224 innocent people dead..and all they can say is that they hope those "poor people"working in Sharm are not affected (financially)by this tragedy.

And Who2...flippant comments on simulation stuff in Gatwick are really not appreciated regarding this tragic news.

Enjoy your curry,and hope your pipes are cleared soon!

Sarcasm?..who knows?

This is a total myth!
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

crewmeal wrote:

ISIS of course will claim responsibility for anything to to do with death and destruction in this way.
So far,foul play has not been ruled out.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

My post re "brace,brace"seemsto have distracted some from expressing any sympathies towards the families of those concerned in this appalling tragedy!

No comments on the actual incident itself...just a load of "tut-tutting"that Scottishtourist has once again got it wrong.So whole serious business of 224 people killed just goes over your heads!

Urban myths and ridicule seem more important to some than actually offering condolences and sympathies.

If it's proved to be act of terrorism..then by God,Egypt should and will suffer!

And p.s Who2..don't really give a "flying duck"for your opinions either...nor will I have sleepless nights thinking about them!

Is this another Lockerbie?
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

ST - I wasn't trying to distract your sympathies towards those affected by this dreadful incident, just merely pointing out an inaccuracy regarding the brace position. That's all.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I remember when Di died, I have never been so overwhelmed at the outpourings of a lower emotion emanating from the masses.
Quite quite stunning and a good lesson to learn if the observer can be really bothered to observe correctly.
Even I, experienced that emotion at that time.
Bit, like all that rubbish yank sh** 'tie another yellow ribbon or leaving some flowers next to a bike crash,
'totally stupid use of one's lower-emotion..
ST, surly you have met death many times in your job, if not why not ? don't you question it every minute, doesn't it add a 'bit of spice to one's life ? ..... :cool:
Sophocles.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

crewmeal wrote:ST - I wasn't trying to distract your sympathies towards those affected by this dreadful incident, just merely pointing out an inaccuracy regarding the brace position. That's all.
If all the "brace"position intended to do is to protect oneselves from flying debris..then it's high time every aeroplane employed a qualified medical person..instead of a basic "first-aider."

We are told to place our hands behind our necks..not our heads!

On impact,no one will survive.

It's no "urban"myth.
It's a pain-free quick death.

Much better than lying in agony and waiting for a rescue team!

As a "trolley-dolly"you are told one thing.As a nurse..we are told another.
Think we'll just agree to differ on this opinion.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Who2 wrote:I remember when Di died, I have never been so overwhelmed at the outpourings of a lower emotion emanating from the masses.
Quite quite stunning and a good lesson to learn if the observer can be really bothered to observe correctly.
Even I, experienced that emotion at that time.
Bit, like all that rubbish yank sh** 'tie another yellow ribbon or leaving some flowers next to a bike crash,
'totally stupid use of one's lower-emotion..
ST, surly you have met death many times in your job, if not why not ? don't you question it every minute, doesn't it add a 'bit of spice to one's life ? ..... :cool:
Of course I've "met"death!

In many ways you become immune to it!there's no "spice"to it!
We did what we had to do.Washed bodies,prepared them for relatives viewings,stuffed the cotton plugs up their anuses,stuffed the tampons into the females,and placed the condoms on the males!

When it comes to emotion..we shed our tears privately.
Cos no relative appreciates tears from a "professional."

That's their private "prerogative."